Sportsmanship

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
KDunbar

Re: Sportsmanship

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Okay, why don't we just remove all the remaining nonsense that followed then and just move on?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Call the stall, call the fall..................some programs need an overhaul!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 pm

KDunbar wrote:Okay, why don't we just remove all the remaining nonsense that followed then and just move on?

QFT
sentenceseller

Tiger44001

Postby Tiger44001 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:20 pm

KDunbar wrote:Okay, why don't we just remove all the remaining nonsense that followed then and just move on?

Not when you got some GREAT WORDS OF WISDOM from Bearhugger that start off with "Call the stall, call the fall"........ ! Wonderfully stated and to the point!

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Though no names were mentioned until someone mentioned their own, my initial post was about some dirty wrestling which resulted in an injury to another wrestler, whether it was called correctly by the official or not, etc. Again, no names mentioned. Other posts that followed questioned how the program the offending wrestler belonged to was running things etc. This resulted in the mods deciding to delete my initial post and some of the responses that followed. I have been around the board and wrestling for a good while and I have never called out anyone on this site. I just brought attention to some issues without using names and it went on from there. I have no problem with the mods and their decision, whether I agree or not... it's their site. Hope that clears up some of the confusion for everyone who was late to the game after posts were deleted. Guess maybe they should have deleted the entire thing. Either way, moving on.

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:47 pm

Bearhugger, not trying to argue with your statement about teams needing an overhaul. As many have mentioned to you in the past, take the class, find a program that needs overhauled and go at it my man. And good luck to you, I would come to your school and watch your team wrestle to see how it's done. Really, comments like this sticks to my crawl. Until you do this, why make such a negative comment about those who wear the whistle.
Coach Stump

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:49 pm

I believe that those comments removed by Brent (?) because some felt them confrontational and argumentative. My commentary was not intended to be as such. For that if anyone felt offended that was not my intention. I defended a life-long friend who had already given me his account of the events of the preceding evening. He didn't mention any names and did not single out any wrestler/coach/parent. I attempted to remind those who posted that we are not to name names. One commentary may have felt I singled him out for unfair criticism. Again not my intent. My posts have been as much as I can remember on here to be informative. I will not argue with you or disagree in a negative manner with your opinions. I may quietly and privately disagree with your views but that I keep to myself. And maybe Chris. I believe this forum is best suited to inform and educate the community if you are an official, coach, or Administrator. I also believe this forum is for a parent or coach to promote, support, and encourage (brag) their kids/wrestlers and schools. So parents and coaches go ahead and promote your schools and kids. But to those who may, and I say may speak negatively about a kid or a coach.......please don't. No parent wants to be told how to raise, educate, or reprimand their kids. I know I wouldn't have appreciated it back when my son wrestled. And no coach wants to be told how to conduct his business/coaching by outsiders/strangers/experts. And finally, and I hope I haven't left anyone out, no official needs to be criticized about how to officiate. We make mistakes. Surprised ain't ya? Sometimes big bonehead mistakes. Sometimes even little ones that a lot of fans and coaches don't realize. We have other officials and SSAC, and OHSAA Rules Interpreters who will "tell" us when we make a mistake, wrong a kid, or disrespect a coach/parent/fan. if we don't already know. And we damn well better know when we make that mistake and fix it if it can be fixed and it generally can. And we damn well better never disrespect a coach, wrestler, parent, or fan.

If you will allow me to indulge myself for a minute I would like to tell you of a conversation I had with my son when he wrestled for Coach Emil Nardone at Bishop Donahue (McMechen, WV) back in 1994. My son had a very good single leg takedown move. Not by my evaluation but by some other coaches and officials. He only had wrestled since his freshman year. However his riding and breakdowns for falls were not that great. He lost a few matches because of that deficiency but he also won a few due to his "pretty good" single leg takedown. So it was ok. Until one match he lost because in my opinion, shared only with him, his coach wouldn't allow him to cut the bottom man and then take him down again. In my opinion I thought this a very good manuever. So during our conversation after the match I asked him why Coach Nardown wouldn't allow him to do that. He told me that one his best wrestlers from a year or two (?) prior, Tommy Giovengo did it, with I believe Emil's consent and got burnt. Cost him the match. Now for those of you who knew Tommy he was a very good wrestler. Ok I said to my son. Thats fine with me. I may have disagreed with Emil but I did not interfere. Not once. That was the only time I ever brought up the subject of me, an official and father who thought he knew more than the coach. Nor did I ever criticise Emil. I always had subscribed to the principle that I put my son in the hands of the coach and it was my duty or whatever to support the coach and my son.

And in closing I am supportive of the Site Administrator removing what he deemed excessive and critical and possibly somewhat Unsportsmanlike Conduct on some of us on this thread.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:08 pm

coach_stump wrote:Bearhugger, not trying to argue with your statement about teams needing an overhaul. As many have mentioned to you in the past, take the class, find a program that needs overhauled and go at it my man. And good luck to you, I would come to your school and watch your team wrestle to see how it's done. Really, comments like this sticks to my crawl. Until you do this, why make such a negative comment about those who wear the whistle.
Coach Stump

Coach Stump:

In return, I am not trying to argue with you. However, I shall respond. It is always convenient for somebody to simply say "why don't you do the job". It is more important for those doing the job to "do the job". Also, after one has 10 to 21 years "in the job", they should not be making rookie mistakes and getting caught up in major messes.

1. I may not agree with a police officer who unloads 16 bullets into the back of a running man. That doesn't mean I want to quit doing what I am doing and become a police officer. However, I can and would do better than that.

2. I may not like getting my taco at Taco Bell and it is 99% lettuce and 1% meat. That doesn't mean I want to build a career at Taco Bell. However, I can and would make a taco per the specifications outlined by Taco Bell.

3. As for my comments about overhauls, I wasn't referring to how they wrestle. My comment was general and nobody was called out. This is not North Korea.

If anybody wants to send me a procedure, send it to me. I will help them make it better.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Coach Stump,
You have done more for the sport of wrestling for 3 generations of our youth then most people will ever know. Nothing but a class act and the upmost respect for the way you have and continue to promote this sport. You are the definition of the topic, Sportmanship. For that I say thank you.
Doc busted his ass to give us this page and for as Ray said brag promote their kids. It is really sad it is turning into a one horse show or should I say Jack...!
Last edited by forthekids on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Our coaches do not live in a prefect world. We are human, just like people like you. I knew when I made the comment to protect the integrity of our coaches in WV, I somehow knew that you would have some sort of rebuttal. That's you and your opinion and I am fair to judge. I would never be a police officer, would never have a desire to work in a Taco Bell, and don't get me started about North Korea. No matter what you have to say about the coaches that make up the landscape of WV, in my eyes, live in their shoes. Is it perfect, well, you seem to be the judge. God bless you man.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:06 pm

coach_stump wrote:Our coaches do not live in a prefect world. We are human, just like people like you. I knew when I made the comment to protect the integrity of our coaches in WV, I somehow knew that you would have some sort of rebuttal. That's you and your opinion and I am fair to judge. I would never be a police officer, would never have a desire to work in a Taco Bell, and don't get me started about North Korea. No matter what you have to say about the coaches that make up the landscape of WV, in my eyes, live in their shoes. Is it perfect, well, you seem to be the judge. God bless you man.

My exact words were "SOME programs need an overhaul". They do!

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:49 pm

I deleted the original posts because I viewed them as building into a hostile environment and bordered on cyber bullying. We talk about the rising teen suicide rate and it being higher than ever at our church youth group and one of the leading causes comes through social media. I would hate to see a young person take their life because of the frustration of anonymous fan's spiteful posts on WVMAT. I would also hate to see "Road Rage" at a local wrestling event where someone overreacted and took out their frustrations on a participant. Just trying to nip things in the bud before they get out of control. Lets encourage one another and build each other up.

I saw the posts, now they're toast. - Brent

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 am

Bearhugger wrote:
coach_stump wrote:Bearhugger, not trying to argue with your statement about teams needing an overhaul. As many have mentioned to you in the past, take the class, find a program that needs overhauled and go at it my man. And good luck to you, I would come to your school and watch your team wrestle to see how it's done. Really, comments like this sticks to my crawl. Until you do this, why make such a negative comment about those who wear the whistle.
Coach Stump

Coach Stump:

In return, I am not trying to argue with you. However, I shall respond. It is always convenient for somebody to simply say "why don't you do the job". It is more important for those doing the job to "do the job". Also, after one has 10 to 21 years "in the job", they should not be making rookie mistakes and getting caught up in major messes.

1. I may not agree with a police officer who unloads 16 bullets into the back of a running man. That doesn't mean I want to quit doing what I am doing and become a police officer. However, I can and would do better than that.

2. I may not like getting my taco at Taco Bell and it is 99% lettuce and 1% meat. That doesn't mean I want to build a career at Taco Bell. However, I can and would make a taco per the specifications outlined by Taco Bell.

3. As for my comments about overhauls, I wasn't referring to how they wrestle. My comment was general and nobody was called out. This is not North Korea.

If anybody wants to send me a procedure, send it to me. I will help them make it better.

WOW! That was quick. I received what appears to be a wrestle off procedure from "New2R@aol.com". Ok Smart Guy, I will give you some input.

Return to “High School Wrestling”