2 things out of whack

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Gator

2 things out of whack

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 pm

This is brought up every year, but it’s so glaring that it needs repeated until the WVSSAC does something about it.

Region 4 in AAA and region 1 in AA/A are so far out of whack that it’s ridiculous!

There are going to be some top 6 wrestlers in some weight classes in the bleachers at Huntington.
Moderator WV Mat

coach_stump

Re: 2 things out of whack

Postby coach_stump » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm

I agree 100% Gator. Ridiculous.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Gator wrote:This is brought up every year, but it’s so glaring that it needs repeated until the WVSSAC does something about it.

Region 4 in AAA and region 1 in AA/A are so far out of whack that it’s ridiculous!

There are going to be some top 6 wrestlers in some weight classes in the bleachers at Huntington.

Gator:

You have been reading on the forum long enough to know that rather than learning and fixing the mistakes of the past, WV Wrestling needs to stay in the dark ages. I mean nobody complained back in 1978 when region 1 in AAA was the toughest thing this a $2 steak. Why bring it up now????

There are four golden rules to always go by. They answer all questions and solve all problems.

1. "This or that doesn't matter".
2. "the cream will always rise to the top"
3. "Life isn't fair".
4. "Call the stall, call the fall, go mind your own business.......that's all".
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Absolutely!!! How can you justify Berkeley Springs being in the same region as Big 10 schools. Logistics along with the overcrowding of talent in those areas has to be reconfigured.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:18 pm

coach_stump wrote:I agree 100% Gator. Ridiculous.

Instead of me advising you to go fix the regions if you can do a better job than the WVSSAC, I will say that I am SURE YOU (Coach Stump) COULD do a better job and indeed fix the regions. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 pm

The region topic was not talked about much this season due to us not having polls to look at each week. Out of sight......almost out of mind.

Call the stall, call the fall, the regions are set up for basketball.

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:43 pm

I’m assuming no one from the WVSSAC ever gets on this website to see how unhappy everyone is with the regions? What reasoning do they have for it being set up this way?

KennyFPowers

Postby KennyFPowers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Gator, something else that the unbalance in the regions will have out of whack is the team standings at the state tournament. There's one team that it won't effect and I think we can all agree on who that is. However, a team from a weaker region may qualify all 14 weight classes and sneak past a region 1 team for the runner up spot. Also, a team like Hurricane may very well get edged out of a top 10 spot by a team that qualifies all 14 only because they are in a weaker region.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:48 pm

Jchap8750 wrote:I’m assuming no one from the WVSSAC ever gets on this website to see how unhappy everyone is with the regions? What reasoning do they have for it being set up this way?

You would be surprised.....
Moderator WV Mat

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:49 pm

KennyFPowers wrote:Gator, something else that the unbalance in the regions will have out of whack is the team standings at the state tournament. There's one team that it won't effect and I think we can all agree on who that is. However, a team from a weaker region may qualify all 14 weight classes and sneak past a region 1 team for the runner up spot. Also, a team like Hurricane may very well get edged out of a top 10 spot by a team that qualifies all 14 only because they are in a weaker region.

Yes, it makes the whole state tournament out of whack.
Moderator WV Mat

magna145

Postby magna145 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:12 pm

Same thing as last year and several wrestlers who had a strong chance of placing were sitting in the stands.

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Bearhugger, way ahead of you on this topic. I formulated a plan for aligning regions and submitted before this current alignment was introduced. Far cry different than what we are dealing with now, was looked over and liked by several other coaches throughout the state, but was not apparently liked by the powers to be.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:04 am

anytime you have a concept such as sectionals or regionals determining such a thing, there is going to be situations where one is more stacked than the other. the theory is that the it evens itself out over the scope of years. now, that doesn't help the annual feelings of one region or section is better than the other. but, it is the theory.

im not sure what else can be done outside of changing the format entirely. im sure there are fans of that. but, it would essentially force a change in all other sports as well. i know the wvssac constantly gets hammered on such topics (i remember a few years ago in girls bball when hornbuckle played for south charleston and withrow played for nitro) that 1 of the 2 obvious best teams in the state where not even going to make it to regionals....much-less the state tourney. so, they tinkered with the set up some to try to avoid that. but, it fixes it for that year, but it messed with other teams in the coming years who was facing the same situation.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:05 am

coach_stump wrote:Bearhugger, way ahead of you on this topic. I formulated a plan for aligning regions and submitted before this current alignment was introduced. Far cry different than what we are dealing with now, was looked over and liked by several other coaches throughout the state, but was not apparently liked by the powers to be.

Coach Stump,
Got to thinking that sometimes there is "power in numbers". Although the wrestling community may be small, we are in many ways a rather tight knit group when it really comes down to it. Might one possibly get up a petition or some form of a document prior to the State tournament and put it on here for everyone to see ahead of time. Then gather signatures at the State tournament. I would think that might help show the amount of support that I presume a proposal like the one you referred to actually would have behind it.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:20 am

mscoach64 wrote:anytime you have a concept such as sectionals or regionals determining such a thing, there is going to be situations where one is more stacked than the other. the theory is that the it evens itself out over the scope of years. now, that doesn't help the annual feelings of one region or section is better than the other. but, it is the theory.

im not sure what else can be done outside of changing the format entirely. im sure there are fans of that. but, it would essentially force a change in all other sports as well. i know the wvssac constantly gets hammered on such topics (i remember a few years ago in girls bball when hornbuckle played for south charleston and withrow played for nitro) that 1 of the 2 obvious best teams in the state where not even going to make it to regionals....much-less the state tourney. so, they tinkered with the set up some to try to avoid that. but, it fixes it for that year, but it messed with other teams in the coming years who was facing the same situation.

I don't disagree with the theory aspect of this statement. However, I'm not sure the playing field evens out across the state in wrestling like it does in all the other sports. The one underlying question has to be, why do the regional alignments for wrestling have to be exactly the same as for all other sports. It is a uniquely different sport from essentially all the others. It has A and AA lumped together and that is not done for all sports. So why can't wrestling regional alignments be different and thus not "mess up" anything for all the other sports. This isn't setting a precedent and asking any special treatment for wrestling. It's merely asking for the use of some intelligence in making up the artificial rules that are governing it. This might be an approach to take with the WVSSAC also. Hopefully, as Gator alluded to, they might already be listening.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:14 am

Hmmm same topic different year, number of wrestlers are down, shortage of referees, etc...North region at Wesbanco or WVU & South regional at Beckley armory, Charleston Civic Center or Big Sandy. Top eight from each region qualify for states. (Funds or profits from regionals to be divided by three schools or (maybe six schools) and at least one Single A; AA; and AAA school benefit the proceeds for both regionals) on rotating basis. Larger crowd, less referees and less expense to only have two sites operating regionals rather than four sites. Have a better chance of getting the more talented wrestlers make it to States (not always but percentage is better)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:06 am

mscoach64 wrote:anytime you have a concept such as sectionals or regionals determining such a thing, there is going to be situations where one is more stacked than the other. the theory is that the it evens itself out over the scope of years. now, that doesn't help the annual feelings of one region or section is better than the other. but, it is the theory.

The theory is obviously wrong. Parkersburg, Parkersburg South, Huntington, Ripley and Cabell Midland (formerly Milton & Barboursville) have been TOP programs for DECADES!!!!! They are all piled into region 4 in AAA. Nothing has evened itself out over a scope of years. Nothing has evened itself out over a scope of decades.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:21 am

Bearhugger wrote:

The theory is obviously wrong. Parkersburg, Parkersburg South, Huntington, Ripley and Cabell Midland (formerly Milton & Barboursville) have been TOP programs for DECADES!!!!! They are all piled into region 4 in AAA. Nothing has evened itself out over a scope of years. Nothing has evened itself out over a scope of decades.

As I said three posts above, it's just not the same in wrestling as in other sports and the theory won't work.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:21 am

The answer is simple. Do away with the WVSSAC. Schools have to pay to be members of the SSAC. Each sport should create it's own governing board with the coaches as the directors. Now you have sport specific individuals governing each sport. Just walk away from the SSAC, membership is voluntary.

fireman

Postby fireman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:47 am

Carman has the answer. I guarantee that a group of retired coaches and wrestlers and maybe an official or two could run it as.it should be ran. Who took care of it in the late 70s early 80s.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 am

mike.carman wrote:The answer is simple. Do away with the WVSSAC. Schools have to pay to be members of the SSAC. Each sport should create it's own governing board with the coaches as the directors. Now you have sport specific individuals governing each sport. Just walk away from the SSAC, membership is voluntary.

I think this is an excellent idea. Definitely could get behind that.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 am

While not perfect the plan below would be better than what we have now for AAA IMHO
AA/A would have to have something different because of already huge numbers in regions. Separate AA & A maybe?
Combine 1 & 2 for a northeast region and 3 & 4 for a southwest region. Both regions qualify the top 8 for states.
What we have now is vastly better than olden days so change does happen but it is too slow for fans liking.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 am

fireman wrote:Carman has the answer. I guarantee that a group of retired coaches and wrestlers and maybe an official or two could run it as.it should be ran. Who took care of it in the late 70s early 80s.

I vote we put Coach Stump and Coach Shaw in charge and Ray Marling and George Keeney in charge of the referees.
Moderator WV Mat

mscoach90

Postby mscoach90 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 am

I agree with Gator 100% !!!! I have a question not to stir, but who is going to keep an eye on Fuzzy Wuzzy ?

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:07 pm

mscoach4 wrote:While not perfect the plan below would be better than what we have now for AAA IMHO
AA/A would have to have something different because of already huge numbers in regions. Separate AA & A maybe?
Combine 1 & 2 for a northeast region and 3 & 4 for a southwest region. Both regions qualify the top 8 for states.
What we have now is vastly better than olden days so change does happen but it is too slow for fans liking.

Agree something like this should be done

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:42 pm

vortexfan wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:While not perfect the plan below would be better than what we have now for AAA IMHO

Agree something like this should be done

Get us out of the WVSSAC and more reasonable people can be in charge. Until then, all ideas are moot.

NightTrain

Postby NightTrain » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 pm

I think the most overlooked discrepancy of the WVSSAC is the enrollment criteria. Several schools have dropped into either AA or A over the years but still fill a full roster.
Regional alignments are worse than ive ever seen

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 am

NightTrain wrote:I think the most overlooked discrepancy of the WVSSAC is the enrollment criteria. Several schools have dropped into either AA or A over the years but still fill a full roster.
Regional alignments are worse than ive ever seen

Totally agree

Return to “High School Wrestling”