Triple-A Regional History

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
brentsams

Triple-A Regional History

Postby brentsams » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 am

I've compiled Triple-A Regional History and Doc has created a page. If anyone can help with updates, corrections and typos, please email me.
Click here to view 3A regional history http://www.wvmat.com/regchamps.htm

Thanks - Brent
brentsams@yahoo.com

brentsams

Re: Triple-A Regional History

Postby brentsams » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:01 am

Region 3 updates
1959 - Sophia
1952 - Shady Spring
1967 - Woodrow Wilson
1968 - Woodrow Wilson
1969 - Woodrow Wilson
1976 - Herbert Hoover

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 am

Nice Job Brent! Pretty awesome to see!

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks Mason and others who have responded by email.

Correction Region 2: Pat Bonasso was not a 3x Regional Champion. He wrestled 119 his sophomore year in 1972 and 126 was won by his older brother Mike, not Pat.
Corrected 1971 CHAMPIONSHIP WEST
98 Tim Core, Fairmont West
105 Fred Gallo, Clarksburg
112 Terry Thorn, Kingwood
119 Fred Marstiller, Morgantown
126 Mike Bonasso, Fairmont West
132 Stanley Robinson, Fairmont West
138 Paul DePond, Morgantown
145 Jack Phares, Elkins
155 Fred Daugherty, Philip Barbour
167 Dave Hart, Elkins
185 Rick Downs, Morgantown
UNL Mike Murphy, Fairmont West

Documents will be updated after this years regionals are completed.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:41 pm

brentsams wrote:I've compiled Triple-A Regional History and Doc has created a page. If anyone can help with updates, corrections and typos, please email me.

Thanks - Brent
brentsams@yahoo.com

Brent, please do not take this the wrong way, but these reports are somewhat in error. Back in the 80s, the region that contained Huntington, Milton, Barboursville, Hurricane and many of the Kanawha County teams was Region 3, not Region 4.

In the 80s, Region 4 included Ripley, Woodrow Wilson, Dupont, Hoover, George Washington, Mount View, Logan, Nicholas County.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Bearhugger,
I know they are not historical accurate but they are geographically accurate as I stated in the note:
"Region numbers have changed back and forth over the years and I am not sure how regions were numbered from 1963 to 1975 when they grew from 4 regions to 8 regions. So I took the current regions and kept the general geography as:
Region 1 - Northwest (North and South from 1963 to 1975)
Region 2 - Northeast (East and West from 1963 to 1975)
Region 3 - Southeast (North and South from 1963 to 1975)
Region 4 - Southwest (East and West from 1963 to 1975)"

There is still a lot of research to do. In the 70s, Region 1 also contained Ripley and Point Pleasant.

Brent

Bearhugger wrote:
brentsams wrote:I've compiled Triple-A Regional History and Doc has created a page. If anyone can help with updates, corrections and typos, please email me.

Thanks - Brent
brentsams@yahoo.com

Brent, please do not take this the wrong way, but these reports are somewhat in error. Back in the 80s, the region that contained Huntington, Milton, Barboursville, Hurricane and many of the Kanawha County teams was Region 3, not Region 4.

In the 80s, Region 4 included Ripley, Woodrow Wilson, Dupont, Hoover, George Washington, Mount View, Logan, Nicholas County.

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 am

Brent, In your four time regional champions It says AAA. Wasn’t Haught AA his freshman year ? I believe Bauer may have been AA two years ?

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:01 am

Matofficial wrote:Brent, In your four time regional champions It says AAA. Wasn’t Haught AA his freshman year ? I believe Bauer may have been AA two years ?

That's right, Kyle Bauer's first two were with Wheeling Central until they stopped their program. Dirk Bauer also had a title with Wheeling Central before switching to Park. Of course, oftentimes those AA/A Regional titles could be more difficult than the AAA. With regional changes, school classification changes, and wrestler school changes it's impossible to fit everything under a neat label. Still, it's a very interesting compilation to read through. Thanks for taking the time to pull it all together and the "long" walk down memory lane.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 am

Yes, that is correct on Haught and Bauer. They may not have been a 4x AAA Regional Champion, but they are a 4x Regional WV Champion, so I credit them with the last Region they participated in. Something similar with Justin Allman. He was a 3x Region 1 Champ and a 1x Region 4 champion. Since his last year was in Region 4, I credit him as a 4x Champ in Region 4.

Thanks - Brent

gridironmike

Postby gridironmike » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Nice job Brent. I do a lot of research too and the thing is this, there is no right or wrong when it comes to organizing your information. It's also great to share it when you're looking for help. Somebody has what you're looking for. Good luck on completing it!

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:39 pm

I went down to Highlander Country on Saturday and Coach Bill Archer got me up to date with Huntington's Regional Team Champions for the last 50 years. I will repost regional history sometime next week. I am currently working on Jr. States and need to replace a hot water heater that went bad on me last night, as well as work a full time job. Thanks for all the input. - Brent

Return to “High School Wrestling”