Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
TrueSouthFanInPburg
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Your Snap Fitness Meet was three days ago. Is there any way you could possible post the results ?

Frylock
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Frylock » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 pm


Whizzer
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:33 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Whizzer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:02 pm

another one using a 3rd party application. Why not put it on here like most others do. :roll:

Truesouthfaninhunt
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Seems odd.

Bearhugger
Posts: 3253
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:20 pm

So now we have to search the following:

1. WVMAT
2. Trackwrestling
3. TheWrestlingTournement
4. ????
5. ????????????

to find scores.
Bringing balance to the forum, one post at a time.

TrueSouthFanInPburg
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:53 pm

I AGREE ONE MILLION % WITH WHIZZER. It makes no sense putting West Virginia results on these sites the most people on here have ever heard of ! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

TrueSouthFanInPburg
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:54 pm

that not the

TrueSouthFanInPburg
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:55 pm

never not ever

TrueSouthFanInPburg
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:58 pm

I guess I need to roll my eyes at myself :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: , but at least I'm rolling them on WVmat.com.

User avatar
brentsams
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby brentsams » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:47 pm

If you want rankings from WVMAT, you should post on WVMAT. Does the wrestling tourney or track wrestling do state rankings?

WHSMOM
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby WHSMOM » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 pm

You have the results and you still complain. Did you ever think the coach may have been more concerned with getting his team ready for regionals? I get you were excited to see the results but we are now just a few days away from regionals and past results will not determine how this weekend will play out. So just sit back and get ready for an exciting weekend.

Whizzer
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:33 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Whizzer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Yeah complain! If people would do things the way they're supposed to be done the sport grows and interest grows. Most of us schools up here in the north do a pretty good job. We need our southern kin to do the same.

Truesouthfaninhunt
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:11 am

WHSMOM wrote:You have the results and you still complain. Did you ever think the coach may have been more concerned with getting his team ready for regionals? I get you were excited to see the results but we are now just a few days away from regionals and past results will not determine how this weekend will play out. So just sit back and get ready for an exciting weekend.


Huh???

WHSMOM
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby WHSMOM » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:19 am

In a perfect world wrestling would be broadcasted just like the Super Bowl. Results would be in real time. However coaches and volunteers have jobs and other responsibilities so they must make decisions on how they can contribute to promote the sport with the time allowed. Winfield has made huge steps this year in creating and environment that promotes the sport. We have gotten community supporter with fundraiser and had over 30 kids on our middle school team because of our great coaches wrestlers and parents. When you consider we do not have a youth team that was as awesome accomplishment! We may not be as good as the "northern schools" your eyes but from a whs parents eyes we have rocked this season and our program is on the rise. So complain if you want ... We will keep making strives to promote the sport and our coaches will continue to make a difference in young student athletes lives. Which to us is the most important goal of any wrestle program. Good luck to all wrestlers this week! I for one can't wait to see how things play out. Go generals!

Pintowin123
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Pintowin123 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am

Whizzer wrote:another one using a 3rd party application. Why not put it on here like most others do. :roll:

YOU CAUGHT EM BOYS. It’s a conspiracy down there. They might sneak in and win it all!

ZZChooseTop
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:01 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby ZZChooseTop » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:55 am

WHSMOM wrote:In a perfect world wrestling would be broadcasted just like the Super Bowl. Results would be in real time. However coaches and volunteers have jobs and other responsibilities so they must make decisions on how they can contribute to promote the sport with the time allowed. Winfield has made huge steps this year in creating and environment that promotes the sport. We have gotten community supporter with fundraiser and had over 30 kids on our middle school team because of our great coaches wrestlers and parents. When you consider we do not have a youth team that was as awesome accomplishment! We may not be as good as the "northern schools" your eyes but from a whs parents eyes we have rocked this season and our program is on the rise. So complain if you want ... We will keep making strives to promote the sport and our coaches will continue to make a difference in young student athletes lives. Which to us is the most important goal of any wrestle program. Good luck to all wrestlers this week! I for one can't wait to see how things play out. Go generals!


Great job building a program. Getting recognition for your kids is a vital part of sustaining what you have built. As I understand Winfield mom the team does not take a bus and every single adult drives separately or does not have a cell phone. This must be true otherwise her reasons for not taking 10 minutes to send scores are simply excuses. A time management tip, if you have a coach or any adult capable of reading a score book and using a cell phone, the drive home is a great time to submit scores. Do not attempt to do that and drive but surely there is a passenger amongst you. The recognition might "promote the sport" and "make a difference in young student lives" and you didn't have to miss work, didn't cost you a penny (eliminating the "we're all volunteers" excuse). Best of luck with the rest of the season and good job with this year's team.

When we go back to the old days of putting flyers out on tables and buying newspaper space to advertise our tournaments I wonder if the same coaches and parents who don't take the time to take advantage of the free site doc provides will realize what they lost? Nah, they'll just complain that no one at their school is interested in wrestling.

matcoach90
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby matcoach90 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 am

Awesome! So all we have to do is not send in our scores to WVMAT and success will be on it's way... I had no idea.

coach_williams
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby coach_williams » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:14 am

The whole concept that someone hiding behind a screen name would call out a coach by name, criticize him for not doing what you demand that you have a right to within the time frame you think it should be done and then everyone else pile on to express your own opinion of how other people should be doing things, where they should be doing them, and when they should be doing them is an absolute joke. People need to get a clue. You are not the most important thing in a coach's day. The more you act like this, anonymously hiding behind a keyboard and throwing your childish temper tantrums, the less coaches care about posting scores and results for your entertainment or even coming on this site.

Eersfan
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Eersfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:16 am

coach_williams wrote:The whole concept that someone hiding behind a screen name would call out a coach by name, criticize him for not doing what you demand that you have a right to within the time frame you think it should be done and then everyone else pile on to express your own opinion of how other people should be doing things, where they should be doing them, and when they should be doing them is an absolute joke. People need to get a clue. You are not the most important thing in a coach's day. The more you act like this, anonymously hiding behind a keyboard and throwing your childish temper tantrums, the less coaches care about posting scores and results for your entertainment or even coming on this site.


Well said!! I cldnt agree more

ZZChooseTop
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:01 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby ZZChooseTop » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 am

coach_williams wrote:The whole concept that someone hiding behind a screen name would call out a coach by name, criticize him for not doing what you demand that you have a right to within the time frame you think it should be done and then everyone else pile on to express your own opinion of how other people should be doing things, where they should be doing them, and when they should be doing them is an absolute joke. People need to get a clue. You are not the most important thing in a coach's day. The more you act like this, anonymously hiding behind a keyboard and throwing your childish temper tantrums, the less coaches care about posting scores and results for your entertainment or even coming on this site.


If that was directed at me then I would ask you to re-read my post. Winfield mom said that time constraints for coaches and volunteers was the reason for not posting results. I provided what I thought was a reasonable solution. I didn't demand a time frame, it just seems that the ride home when you're doing nothing else would provide 10 free minutes to give credit to kids who work hard every day. I didn't call out any coaches by name and posting serves a purpose far greater than my individual entertainment. Coaches put in a lot of uncompensated time, if we broke down their hourly wage it would make the sweatshop owners blush. If the coach is driving home, give the scorebook to someone to text the results in, teenagers can text at lightning speed. Do teams around the state still have matmaids? Results and information promotes the sport. It gives the kids something to look at and to look forward to. Win or lose it helps tell the story of a team that is busting its butt to get better without a youth feeder program. I stick by my statement that when this site goes away people who contributed very little will complain the most that their program doesn't have a way of generating interest. It is not as simple as posting results and having instant success, that's not how wrestling works. But to have success you better find a way of building interest.


Coach Williams i believe another fella was critical of coaches not posting results last year when he believed that the lack of posting was hurting his son's "ranking" and blasted coaches for not posting (including his own school) as well as several tantrums stating that rankings don't mean anything.

aacoach126
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby aacoach126 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 am

Is there a rule that states results must be posted?

WHSMOM
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby WHSMOM » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 am

Argee recognition is a vital part of sport but before you put Winfield down know how we have recognized students athletes this season. Each one of our kids who hit Milestones this year received a poster noteing the milestone. The boosters worked with a limited budget and made sure awards were given at each home meet. When we ordered awards online for our meets and they didn't come in on time. We still made sure the wrestler have something for their hard work. Even when that required us to make awards by hand for our big brother tournament. We recognized 28 8th graders and 9 Senior at that meet. Each received certificates and got called out for their achievement. We contact local news papers and got story wrote about our program and to thank community supporter. One of our wrestlers decided to make a poudium for the team to use to insure wrestler got recognized at home meets as part of his eagle scout program Now as for reporting stats on wvmat this year we didn't. And I being the one who takes the stats will take the hit for that. I could explain why I didn't but at this point it doesn't matter now. It was not done but I can say Winfield parents coaches and wrestlers do promote the sport and do care.

coach_williams
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby coach_williams » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:
coach_williams wrote:The whole concept that someone hiding behind a screen name would call out a coach by name, criticize him for not doing what you demand that you have a right to within the time frame you think it should be done and then everyone else pile on to express your own opinion of how other people should be doing things, where they should be doing them, and when they should be doing them is an absolute joke. People need to get a clue. You are not the most important thing in a coach's day. The more you act like this, anonymously hiding behind a keyboard and throwing your childish temper tantrums, the less coaches care about posting scores and results for your entertainment or even coming on this site.


If that was directed at me then I would ask you to re-read my post. Winfield mom said that time constraints for coaches and volunteers was the reason for not posting results. I provided what I thought was a reasonable solution. I didn't demand a time frame, it just seems that the ride home when you're doing nothing else would provide 10 free minutes to give credit to kids who work hard every day. I didn't call out any coaches by name and posting serves a purpose far greater than my individual entertainment. Coaches put in a lot of uncompensated time, if we broke down their hourly wage it would make the sweatshop owners blush. If the coach is driving home, give the scorebook to someone to text the results in, teenagers can text at lightning speed. Do teams around the state still have matmaids? Results and information promotes the sport. It gives the kids something to look at and to look forward to. Win or lose it helps tell the story of a team that is busting its butt to get better without a youth feeder program. I stick by my statement that when this site goes away people who contributed very little will complain the most that their program doesn't have a way of generating interest. It is not as simple as posting results and having instant success, that's not how wrestling works. But to have success you better find a way of building interest.


Coach Williams i believe another fella was critical of coaches not posting results last year when he believed that the lack of posting was hurting his son's "ranking" and blasted coaches for not posting (including his own school) as well as several tantrums stating that rankings don't mean anything.


Wasn't directed specifically at you. Was directed at the OP (see my first sentence).

You don't have to tell me about unappreciated time investment. I earn $1 per year. I know.

I agree that results and information promotes the sport. Calling out coaches by name, criticizing them for not doing what you want, when you want and how you want does not. Imagine the perception that a parent thinking of letting their kid wrestle in high school may get if they log on here and see anonymous people going after coaches over something as simple as scores being posted.

I don't recall saying anyone was hurting my son's ranking by not posting scores. I may have made a comment about lack of scores making it hard to rank wrestlers, but I never specifically said it was hurting my son. I am one of the few coaches that actually are involved in rankings and I try to do a good job. If I was complaining about anything, that is what it was about. Please provide evidence I was making it about me/my son.

Additionally, I never called out a coach or anyone else by name while hiding behind a screen name and I never say anything online that I would be afraid to or reluctant to say to a person's face. Everyone knows who I am and where I coach. Also, I never demanded anyone post what I want, when I want, where I want. I may be blunt (I call it honesty), but I always try to be respectful towards people, something that there is very little of in this thread and lately, very little of on this forum.

Frylock
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Frylock » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:18 am

Hopefully this will end what started out as a simple question into a spin of unnecessary comments. The Wrestling Tourney is the program that was used to run the Snap Fitness Bill Hughes Invitational. The program, which is the same used by many other tournaments, provides coaches an online way to enter their rosters and it also provides an easy way to upload results and scores. The tournament is posted along with a couple other tournaments in West Virginia. It was asked if scores would be posted and they were, but not on this site, so a link to the scores and results was posted, rather than duplicate the same information that was already on The Wrestling Tourney site. However, if people were offended that the results were not accessible quickly enough to their liking, then I apologize for the inconvenience. Good luck to all wrestlers at their Regionals this weekend.

Truesouthfaninhunt
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Lets all make a concerted effort to get along better.

mscoach20
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby mscoach20 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Yea...this whole growing the sport thing is misguided. We lost 73 wrestlers. 1573 down to 1500. Hardly a time to panic. Not even out of the standard deviation. We ok.
Tench

Bearhugger
Posts: 3253
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:40 pm

coach_williams wrote:The whole concept that someone hiding behind a screen name would call out a coach by name, criticize him for not doing what you demand that you have a right to within the time frame you think it should be done and then everyone else pile on to express your own opinion of how other people should be doing things, where they should be doing them, and when they should be doing them is an absolute joke. People need to get a clue. You are not the most important thing in a coach's day. The more you act like this, anonymously hiding behind a keyboard and throwing your childish temper tantrums, the less coaches care about posting scores and results for your entertainment or even coming on this site.


When I was in route to The Winner's Choice, I made a quick pit stop at the Braxton County Tournament. Had the time. Took the time. SPENT the money to get in and didn't see much wrestling because the bout sheets were not coming out fast enough. I do understand things happen and delays can occur.

I found you and introduced myself. We met.

I have nothing to hide and I am not hiding from anybody.

Generally speaking, I am confident many wrestlers look on WVMat and see all of the OTHER schools that post their scores. These same wrestlers wonder why their coaches do not care enough to get the scores posted. I would!

Good luck to your son. He is part of possibly the greatest weight class at this season's state tournament.
Bringing balance to the forum, one post at a time.

Bearhugger
Posts: 3253
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm

WHSMOM wrote:Argee recognition is a vital part of sport but before you put Winfield down know how we have recognized students athletes this season. Each one of our kids who hit Milestones this year received a poster noteing the milestone. The boosters worked with a limited budget and made sure awards were given at each home meet. When we ordered awards online for our meets and they didn't come in on time. We still made sure the wrestler have something for their hard work. Even when that required us to make awards by hand for our big brother tournament. We recognized 28 8th graders and 9 Senior at that meet. Each received certificates and got called out for their achievement. We contact local news papers and got story wrote about our program and to thank community supporter. One of our wrestlers decided to make a poudium for the team to use to insure wrestler got recognized at home meets as part of his eagle scout program Now as for reporting stats on wvmat this year we didn't. And I being the one who takes the stats will take the hit for that. I could explain why I didn't but at this point it doesn't matter now. It was not done but I can say Winfield parents coaches and wrestlers do promote the sport and do care.



I agree that Winfield is doing good things with their team. I will share that any team can easily increase their team's recognition substantially by posting the scores on WVMAT. When this is done, the diehard fans notice who is doing well. This success is then talked about and the given wrestler(s) receive more promotion.

Last season, Winfield posted their scores regularly. I remember vividly drawing positive attention to Hale and his numerous first round pins. Matter of fact, he didn't go the distance last season until the National Guard Duals in Beckley. He hit a lateral drop in the finals seconds while being down 4-0 and won 5-4 over a wrestler from North Marion. He then lost his first match by 1 point to Daniels of Indy.

No scores this season, hard to follow a kid, a team, etc.
Bringing balance to the forum, one post at a time.

Bearhugger
Posts: 3253
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:52 pm

mscoach20 wrote:Yea...this whole growing the sport thing is misguided. We lost 73 wrestlers. 1573 down to 1500. Hardly a time to panic. Not even out of the standard deviation. We ok.


What is the actual standard deviation that you speak of? Please share your data.
Bringing balance to the forum, one post at a time.

Bearhugger
Posts: 3253
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Attention Coach Mike Cochran

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm

coach_williams wrote:
ZZChooseTop wrote:
coach_williams wrote:The whole concept that someone hiding behind a screen name would call out a coach by name, criticize him for not doing what you demand that you have a right to within the time frame you think it should be done and then everyone else pile on to express your own opinion of how other people should be doing things, where they should be doing them, and when they should be doing them is an absolute joke. People need to get a clue. You are not the most important thing in a coach's day. The more you act like this, anonymously hiding behind a keyboard and throwing your childish temper tantrums, the less coaches care about posting scores and results for your entertainment or even coming on this site.


If that was directed at me then I would ask you to re-read my post. Winfield mom said that time constraints for coaches and volunteers was the reason for not posting results. I provided what I thought was a reasonable solution. I didn't demand a time frame, it just seems that the ride home when you're doing nothing else would provide 10 free minutes to give credit to kids who work hard every day. I didn't call out any coaches by name and posting serves a purpose far greater than my individual entertainment. Coaches put in a lot of uncompensated time, if we broke down their hourly wage it would make the sweatshop owners blush. If the coach is driving home, give the scorebook to someone to text the results in, teenagers can text at lightning speed. Do teams around the state still have matmaids? Results and information promotes the sport. It gives the kids something to look at and to look forward to. Win or lose it helps tell the story of a team that is busting its butt to get better without a youth feeder program. I stick by my statement that when this site goes away people who contributed very little will complain the most that their program doesn't have a way of generating interest. It is not as simple as posting results and having instant success, that's not how wrestling works. But to have success you better find a way of building interest.


Coach Williams i believe another fella was critical of coaches not posting results last year when he believed that the lack of posting was hurting his son's "ranking" and blasted coaches for not posting (including his own school) as well as several tantrums stating that rankings don't mean anything.


Wasn't directed specifically at you. Was directed at the OP (see my first sentence).

You don't have to tell me about unappreciated time investment. I earn $1 per year. I know.

I agree that results and information promotes the sport. Calling out coaches by name, criticizing them for not doing what you want, when you want and how you want does not. Imagine the perception that a parent thinking of letting their kid wrestle in high school may get if they log on here and see anonymous people going after coaches over something as simple as scores being posted.

I don't recall saying anyone was hurting my son's ranking by not posting scores. I may have made a comment about lack of scores making it hard to rank wrestlers, but I never specifically said it was hurting my son. I am one of the few coaches that actually are involved in rankings and I try to do a good job. If I was complaining about anything, that is what it was about. Please provide evidence I was making it about me/my son.

Additionally, I never called out a coach or anyone else by name while hiding behind a screen name and I never say anything online that I would be afraid to or reluctant to say to a person's face. Everyone knows who I am and where I coach. Also, I never demanded anyone post what I want, when I want, where I want. I may be blunt (I call it honesty), but I always try to be respectful towards people, something that there is very little of in this thread and lately, very little of on this forum.


If any parent reads anything on here about a school, a program or a coach................I would not recommend they automatically believe it. However, I would get it checked out! Generally speaking, lets not be naive to think that because a person has the title of "coach" that they are knowledgeable, ethical, or good person. We see it on the news all the time where coaches get busted for horrible things.
Bringing balance to the forum, one post at a time.


Return to “High School Wrestling”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests