AAA Region 2 Seeds Review

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

AAA Region 2 Seeds Review

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:52 pm

AAA's Region 2 seeds are out. This region has 7 teams

1. Seven wrestlers: 160, 182 and 285. Maxed out! Great!!!!!

2. Six wrestlers: 106, 132 and 152.

3. Five wrestlers: 170 and 195.

4. Four wrestlers: 113, 120, 126, 138, 145 and 220. Show up, pass the skin check, make weight, you are going to the state tournament.

5. No byes heading into the state tournament.

6. Based on the 2017 AAA region 2 results, this region has dropped -7 in terms of wrestlers. That is half of a team. 2017 = 80 wrestlers competed in the region. 2018 = 73 wrestlers seeded.

7. Sierra Powell is coming back to Huntington!!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Re: AAA Region 2 Seeds Review

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Are skin checks mandatory this year, what with the two week break between the Regionals and the State tournament? I thought the WVSSAC outlawed them this year and that was the purpose for the delay.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Whats more when you look at region 2 and 3 combined there are 35 wrestlers who will qualify automatically because of 4 or less in their brackets. In region 4 in several weights there will be a wrestler(who won't qualify) who would be a state placer in the 2 region 8 qualifiers format. I just don't see the downfall of such a format.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 pm

mscoach4 wrote:Whats more when you look at region 2 and 3 combined there are 35 wrestlers who will qualify automatically because of 4 or less in their brackets. In region 4 in several weights there will be a wrestler(who won't qualify) who would be a state placer in the 2 region 8 qualifiers format. I just don't see the downfall of such a format.

I'm not saying it is right, but the 35 wrestlers you mentioned above would say the downfall would be the wrestlers their schools are not sending to the State tournament. Others would assert that these schools not getting to send wrestlers to the State tournament would be a detriment to their maintaining a wrestling program. That is why some have advocated sending everyone, including JV wrestlers. That leads others to suggest participation medals. And it goes round and round.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:48 am

KDunbar wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:Whats more when you look at region 2 and 3 combined there are 35 wrestlers who will qualify automatically because of 4 or less in their brackets. In region 4 in several weights there will be a wrestler(who won't qualify) who would be a state placer in the 2 region 8 qualifiers format. I just don't see the downfall of such a format.

I'm not saying it is right, but the 35 wrestlers you mentioned above would say the downfall would be the wrestlers their schools are not sending to the State tournament. Others would assert that these schools not getting to send wrestlers to the State tournament would be a detriment to their maintaining a wrestling program. That is why some have advocated sending everyone, including JV wrestlers. That leads others to suggest participation medals. And it goes round and round.

I just want to clarify a JVer wouldn’t get a participation trophy unless he happened to earn it among other wrestlers in the state in his or her particular weight class if that day ever happens, to allow JVers to participate in states.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 am

vortexfan wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

I just want to clarify a JVer wouldn’t get a participation trophy unless he happened to earn it among other wrestlers in the state in his or her particular weight class if that day ever happens, to allow JVers to participate in states.

Oh, I was referring to previous sarcastic comments about everyone getting a participation medal. I actually thought the participation medal was just a joke. However, if a JV wrestler ever gets to wrestle in the State tournament, let's give them the actual medal/trophy they have earned and deserve, without any asterisk.

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Alright
Beerhugger and anyone else who wants to have jv wrestlers in the regionals and state tournament. U now have my permission. I still don't agree with it. But go ahead and do it. Just don't bore me with this talk next year about it.
I lean up against the wall
I see it all
I prefer chino one to BBQ and slaw.
Frank Lusher

aacoach124

Postby aacoach124 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 pm

Frank wrote:Alright
Beerhugger and anyone else who wants to have jv wrestlers in the regionals and state tournament. U now have my permission. I still don't agree with it. But go ahead and do it. Just don't bore me with this talk next year about it.
I lean up against the wall
I see it all
I prefer chino one to BBQ and slaw.
Frank Lusher

The bye week between regions and states would be a great day for a JV only year end tournament. It would give us fans something to hold us over.

Return to “High School Wrestling”