4 Byes in AAA

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Underdog3382

Re: 4 Byes in AAA

Postby Underdog3382 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
greencrush wrote:1. To put the "small schools in Calfiornia still have 1100 students" statement into perspective. Large high schools in California have over 5000 students. That's a difference of 4000.

My point was more about the ability to field a team. A "small" California school with 1000 wrestlers only needs .2% of their students to wrestle to have a team of 20, while the biggest A school in WV needs almost 5% of their students to wrestle to produce the same sized team.

For that reason, comparing WV to CA when discussing going to a single chanpion is not logical, in my opinion. They simply are not comparable situations.

Some of the largest high schools in WV cannot field a full team while small schools like Greenbrier West and Wirt County do or almost do.

These exceptions do not invalidate the point made by Coach Williams.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Gator wrote:
Gutorone wrote:Now this is going to seem like a joke to some , esp. after my other comment, but this is not a joke or trying to stir.

Why does someone not take the WVSSAC to court ?

I have long felt and posted that the WVSSAC is worthless and care nothing about the kids in any sport in our state.

The argument bout how PHS knocked a wrestler out of the state tournament and the judge saying the South wrestler was only a freshman and would have other opportunities clearly applies more with the regional configuration and map than it did back then. Many ranked seniors all across the state will be sitting home cause of their setup. Is this not a perfect class action situation ? Kids are being harmed/deprived of a chance and the court should be able to force them to go to a more, or even all inclusive situation.

If some felt it worthwhile to go to court for 1 kid , Why not for multiple kids ? Each year ?

Again , not stirring , but instead of complaining bout it year after year after year , do something ! :ugeek:

Why don't YOU get a lawyer and run out Rt 47 with him and file a lawsuit? Thanks for volunteering. Great idea!!!

Somebody did. He lost and doesn’t have deep enough pockets to peruse it to the state Supreme Court. The judicial system will not intervene in the rule of the WVSSAC and in effect there are no checks and balances in regards to the WVSSAC. BTW, this individuals dual was me.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm

mike.carman wrote:
Gator wrote:
Gutorone wrote:Now this is going to seem like a joke to some , esp. after my other comment, but this is not a joke or trying to stir.

Why does someone not take the WVSSAC to court ?

I have long felt and posted that the WVSSAC is worthless and care nothing about the kids in any sport in our state.

The argument bout how PHS knocked a wrestler out of the state tournament and the judge saying the South wrestler was only a freshman and would have other opportunities clearly applies more with the regional configuration and map than it did back then. Many ranked seniors all across the state will be sitting home cause of their setup. Is this not a perfect class action situation ? Kids are being harmed/deprived of a chance and the court should be able to force them to go to a more, or even all inclusive situation.

If some felt it worthwhile to go to court for 1 kid , Why not for multiple kids ? Each year ?

Again , not stirring , but instead of complaining bout it year after year after year , do something ! :ugeek:

Why don't YOU get a lawyer and run out Rt 47 with him and file a lawsuit? Thanks for volunteering. Great idea!!!

Somebody did. He lost and doesn’t have deep enough pockets to peruse it to the state Supreme Court. The judicial system will not intervene in the rule of the WVSSAC and in effect there are no checks and balances in regards to the WVSSAC. BTW, this individuals dual was me.

I know your story Mike and it stinks. I was being sarcastic in my reply. I know how the palace on 47 operates. Not a fan!
Moderator WV Mat

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Gator wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
Gator wrote:

I know your story Mike and it stinks. I was being sarcastic in my reply. I know how the palace on 47 operates. Not a fan!

I know you know Gator, most others don't though and I am not shy about enlightening them. What bothers me the most about the palace is that our kids are prisoners to it. That is what really bothers me.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 am

So, am I to understand that the only recourse would be a legal action against the WVSSAC and there is not a less expensive course of action? Would bringing repeated petitions showing state-wide support by voters and tax payers who contribute to voting for school budgets and who elect school boards across the state potentially have any chance? There is enough consensus on here for a change of some type that I think one could come up with something everyone could rally around. I realize that I'm not saying I am wanting to take this lead, but if a feasible plan could be outlined by those who understand things better than me then there might be a group on here that might have a chance rather than to just keep on saying the same thing over and over. Otherwise, what's the use to even talk about it. It then only becomes more of a divisive topic than a beneficial one.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 am

MScoach90
I would love to come and watch the WV state but we just finished with regionals last week... now we are on Masters tha on the state. My States are a week after WV’s and I got 2 kids that is ranked #1 in the state.
This is my LAST year coaching!

Going to move to another country because my lean consulting business is booming!

fan234

Postby fan234 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 am

Great ideas. All just different colored sticks beating the same dead horse. Go to WVSSAC.

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 am

The WVSSAC is an organization that is supposed to be governed by the Principals of the state (not principles obviously). If you want a grassroots movement, start with taking the matter to the Principal within your school. My understanding, although limited, is that the Principal Association has some dominion over the WVSSAC.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 am

Bucktail wrote:The WVSSAC is an organization that is supposed to be governed by the Principals of the state (not principles obviously). If you want a grassroots movement, start with taking the matter to the Principal within your school. My understanding, although limited, is that the Principal Association has some dominion over the WVSSAC.

They are the WVSSAC. They decide all rule changes and set all policies and hire the staff that enforce said rules and policies. The executive committee is appointed by the principals too. You are right that a grassroots approach is starting with the principals but don't be surprised if you are met with extreme resistance or are patronized by a lot of them.

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 am

mike.carman wrote:
Bucktail wrote:The WVSSAC is an organization that is supposed to be governed by the Principals of the state (not principles obviously). If you want a grassroots movement, start with taking the matter to the Principal within your school. My understanding, although limited, is that the Principal Association has some dominion over the WVSSAC.

They are the WVSSAC. They decide all rule changes and set all policies and hire the staff that enforce said rules and policies. The executive committee is appointed by the principals too. You are right that a grassroots approach is starting with the principals but don't be surprised if you are met with extreme resistance or are patronized by a lot of them.

I don't disagree with your point and you are likely correct in your assertion of extreme resistance. On the same vein of thought, if this issue primarily effects your students and there is a shred of justice for this vision to incorporate a design for wrestling that works more fairly and better for the community involved in its activities, then, I feel it is safe to say it is an opportunity for the Principals to demonstrate to their students that they care, in verb form, and work for a better resolution.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am

Bucktail wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

I don't disagree with your point and you are likely correct in your assertion of extreme resistance. On the same vein of thought, if this issue primarily effects your students and there is a shred of justice for this vision to incorporate a design for wrestling that works more fairly and better for the community involved in its activities, then, I feel it is safe to say it is an opportunity for the Principals to demonstrate to their students that they care, in verb form, and work for a better resolution.

I completely agree with this approach. I just don't want people to go in blindly and not know what to expect and give up. I have always felt there is strength in numbers and a more proactive approach publicly would garner better results than simply posting on the forum. I myself would be very involved in a movement such as this. Where the pitfall lies is I don't think the parents will want to invest the time and energy involved in such a venture and would concede at the first sign of resistance. I hope I am completely wrong on that point but my experience has proven otherwise.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:28 pm

mike.carman wrote:
Bucktail wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

I completely agree with this approach. I just don't want people to go in blindly and not know what to expect and give up. I have always felt there is strength in numbers and a more proactive approach publicly would garner better results than simply posting on the forum. I myself would be very involved in a movement such as this. Where the pitfall lies is I don't think the parents will want to invest the time and energy involved in such a venture and would concede at the first sign of resistance. I hope I am completely wrong on that point but my experience has proven otherwise.

Alright, now we are getting somewhere, so let's don't throw in the towel just yet. Let's go with that "proactive, strength in numbers idea, with the foresight to not get discouraged easily" approach.

First of all, I'm guessing that, for the most part, the majority of the principals are not wrestling fanatics. I doubt they think too deeply as to the intracacies of the current situation and quite often the easiest and simplest "solution" is the one picked. It often happens in large groups making decisions far removed from the actual situation and minimally affected by the results (our government as an example).

With that being said, this forum is an example that the times we live in does have the advantage to unite many people spread out over distances in an economical way. It would seem that the only real way to affect the principals is with a group that they might grant the courtesy of assuming they have some insight greater than the principals themselves. The natural people would have to be wrestling coaches and athletic directors. I realize they would be doing this on their own free time, so they would have to have some passion to invest. An outside person or two, not necessarily a parent, maybe someone with some respect in the state among the coaches and powers-that-be could head this up and be the workhorse(s) to help facilitate things between the coaches and athletic directors. These people would have to be viewed as not having any personal interest or gains they could be accused of, other than the overall best interests of the wrestlers statewide. I certainly don't qualify for any of those roles. However, I would be willing to lend a helping hand in any way I could.

Okay, somebody with more insight into the wrestling political community than me (that would be almost anybody) who has ever posted or had a negative thought about the regions/A-AA-AAA situation/byes at the regionals and states/qualified wrestlers setting on the sidelines/etc, please pick up the gauntlet and help us move forward and get us out of our sideways and somewhat downward spiral as spring 2018 draws to a close.

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm

I agree with a few that posted earlier, we must attack our school administrators on items that relate to the sport of wrestling. The Board of Directors made up of such administrators make the overall decisions. I have submitted several agendas over the years I served on the wrestling committee but was turned down, not by the WVSSAC, but the board. I felt the SSAC was listening but didn't have the final say. In the past, my school administrators have worked with me, even submitted a proposal on regional alignments that I put together, but it takes many in our sport to be heard. Again, if changes are make, its got to come from within. Please contact your school and express your concerns.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 am

coach_stump wrote:I agree with a few that posted earlier, we must attack our school administrators on items that relate to the sport of wrestling. The Board of Directors made up of such administrators make the overall decisions. I have submitted several agendas over the years I served on the wrestling committee but was turned down, not by the WVSSAC, but the board. I felt the SSAC was listening but didn't have the final say. In the past, my school administrators have worked with me, even submitted a proposal on regional alignments that I put together, but it takes many in our sport to be heard. Again, if changes are make, its got to come from within. Please contact your school and express your concerns.

With the above being said, it would seem to me that a more developed plan is needed than the few random individuals scattered over several months contacting their school administrators with no real plan for any follow-up. I personally am frustrated because I don't feel in the loop enough to be able to do any good or have any contacts to develop the kind of ground roots movement that is needed. I'm also wondering if there really is any "mass population" that feels like change is needed, beyond the small number of individuals on this forum that just keep saying the same thing over and over and year after year, so that it seems like a lot of people are pushing for change. I really don't know. I'm not passionate about the need for a change exactly, but I am interested in being helpful if it is in the best interest of high school wrestlers in WV. I personally don't think the idea of JV wrestlers or the "extra qualifying" tournament can be addressed at this time but the AAA/AA/A classifications for wrestling, the regional alignments for wrestling, and how the State wrestling tournament is run (such as mandatory reporting of match results and their use in seeding the tournament and avoiding the pitfalls of the pill) could all be pointed out as needing some review. I still think that some basic document/guidelines for suggestions about needed changes signed by numerous people from all areas of the state would have the most impact. I must be wrong because nobody else seems to agree. That's okay, happens to me all the time :) (just ask my wife).

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:03 am

KDunbar wrote:
coach_stump wrote:I agree with a few that posted earlier, we must attack our school administrators on items that relate to the sport of wrestling. The Board of Directors made up of such administrators make the overall decisions. I have submitted several agendas over the years I served on the wrestling committee but was turned down, not by the WVSSAC, but the board. I felt the SSAC was listening but didn't have the final say. In the past, my school administrators have worked with me, even submitted a proposal on regional alignments that I put together, but it takes many in our sport to be heard. Again, if changes are make, its got to come from within. Please contact your school and express your concerns.

With the above being said, it would seem to me that a more developed plan is needed than the few random individuals scattered over several months contacting their school administrators with no real plan for any follow-up. I personally am frustrated because I don't feel in the loop enough to be able to do any good or have any contacts to develop the kind of ground roots movement that is needed. I'm also wondering if there really is any "mass population" that feels like change is needed, beyond the small number of individuals on this forum that just keep saying the same thing over and over and year after year, so that it seems like a lot of people are pushing for change. I really don't know. I'm not passionate about the need for a change exactly, but I am interested in being helpful if it is in the best interest of high school wrestlers in WV. I personally don't think the idea of JV wrestlers or the "extra qualifying" tournament can be addressed at this time but the AAA/AA/A classifications for wrestling, the regional alignments for wrestling, and how the State wrestling tournament is run (such as mandatory reporting of match results and their use in seeding the tournament and avoiding the pitfalls of the pill) could all be pointed out as needing some review. I still think that some basic document/guidelines for suggestions about needed changes signed by numerous people from all areas of the state would have the most impact. I must be wrong because nobody else seems to agree. That's okay, happens to me all the time :) (just ask my wife).

What you are talking about is organizing. That is smart. Perhaps some kind of town hall style meeting would be in order. Maybe during one of the many breaks at the state tournament since so many people would be there. I'm sure the hotel next to Big Sandy or even Big Sandy itself could arrange a room to do it in. Any and all individuals who think change is in order could come and sign in with an email address and what area they are from so continued discussion on a more productive approach could be done. Also, that would definitely determine if there is enough motivation for change or if it is just a few people complaining. If only a handful of people show up then it probably isn't worth pursuing. Just a suggestion.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 am

Bearhugger wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
greencrush wrote:1. To put the "small schools in Calfiornia still have 1100 students" statement into perspective. Large high schools in California have over 5000 students. That's a difference of 4000.

My point was more about the ability to field a team. A "small" California school with 1000 wrestlers only needs .2% of their students to wrestle to have a team of 20, while the biggest A school in WV needs almost 5% of their students to wrestle to produce the same sized team.

For that reason, comparing WV to CA when discussing going to a single chanpion is not logical, in my opinion. They simply are not comparable situations.

Some of the largest high schools in WV cannot field a full team while small schools like Greenbrier West and Wirt County do or almost do.

Hence point number 3 from above. The second largest school in the state is outclassed by half of the AA/A schools in the state. If it comes down to who can "field a full team", then Indy, Greenbrier West and Braxton should be AAA, and Morgantown should be AA/A.

greencrush wrote:3. Indy has 628 students and is obviously at better program at this time than Cabell, which has 1965.
BRAXTON has 580 students, and MORGANTOWN has 1808. Which has a better program?
Perhaps Morgantown should be A/AA since their program isn't well supported, nor does it have deep pockets. Its unfair that they have to compete with the likes of Ripley, with their whopping 900 students.
sentenceseller

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:47 am

mike.carman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

What you are talking about is organizing. That is smart. Perhaps some kind of town hall style meeting would be in order. Maybe during one of the many breaks at the state tournament since so many people would be there. I'm sure the hotel next to Big Sandy or even Big Sandy itself could arrange a room to do it in. Any and all individuals who think change is in order could come and sign in with an email address and what area they are from so continued discussion on a more productive approach could be done. Also, that would definitely determine if there is enough motivation for change or if it is just a few people complaining. If only a handful of people show up then it probably isn't worth pursuing. Just a suggestion.

make it happen, easy post time and place. and see how shows up to make wrestling better, or who wants to post awsome ideas about what other people should do.
Place I suggest Marshall Cafe. walking distance from civic center.
Time, right after first session Thursday, that way we have several other breaks to hold other meetings if nessary.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 am

Frank wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

make it happen, easy post time and place. and see how shows up to make wrestling better, or who wants to post awsome ideas about what other people should do.
Time, right after first session Thursday, that way we have several other breaks to hold other meetings if nessary.

Frank is buying everyone dinner. Be there or be square.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:21 pm

guard0544 wrote:
Frank wrote:

Best idea I’ve heard yet!
Moderator WV Mat

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 pm

guard0544 wrote:
Frank wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

I wonder if we could do a survey of some kind of people as they come into the arena to gauge willingness to attend with a sign up sheet and a time and place on it. We would need several people willing to conduct the initial survey.

But Frank buying is a great idea.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Lets all be Frank, and buy into getting together to make wrestling better. and not start any more post with the phrases:
They should ........
We should.....
they outta.....
I don't know but I thing someone should.....
so in short, show up or shut up about change.

We don't need no stinking survey.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 pm

mike.carman wrote:
guard0544 wrote:
Frank wrote:

I wonder if we could do a survey of some kind of people as they come into the arena to gauge willingness to attend with a sign up sheet and a time and place on it. We would need several people willing to conduct the initial survey.

I'm thinking that keeping it at the Big Sandy arena where everybody will already be, would be the best bet. One would not need a meeting room, just a table where people could sign up or sign a general petition for change with a signature, address, and email address(for communication purposes in the future). The signatures would be what would be important to submit. The difficult aspect for me is to come up with some form of an idea that was general enough that almost everyone would feel comfortable throwing their support behind, yet specific enough to deliver the message for change. I don't think that this would be so controversial that either the Arena administration, the WVSSAC, or the tournament director would be opposed to it. Could someone contact either or both of the Coach Archers and see if this would be a problem and I would then contact the Big Sandy staff?

Again, the real challenge would be to come up with the "petition" that could be previewed on here and would be representative of both AAA, AA, and A teams interests. I'm thinking that the first and foremost issue would be regional realignment used in wrestling, followed by the AAA/AA/A classifications used in wrestling. The issue of how to run the state tournament I believe is a little more controversial. Maybe we should address things one step at a time and see sow that goes first. I believe it is the only way to get the numbers needed to show the diverse and state-wide support and prove this not an issue of one family, team, region, etc. Alright, who wants to take a stab at a "wrestling manifesto" and post it on here to be reviewed and tweaked? Remember, one needs to think of all the views expressed from wrestlers and teams in all the different situations around the state, with an eye towards keeping interest and competition alive and not just what makes the most "entertaining" situation for your own agenda or this will not work.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:25 pm

KDunbar wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

I'm thinking that keeping it at the Big Sandy arena where everybody will already be, would be the best bet. One would not need a meeting room, just a table where people could sign up or sign a general petition for change with a signature, address, and email address(for communication purposes in the future). The signatures would be what would be important to submit. The difficult aspect for me is to come up with some form of an idea that was general enough that almost everyone would feel comfortable throwing their support behind, yet specific enough to deliver the message for change. I don't think that this would be so controversial that either the Arena administration, the WVSSAC, or the tournament director would be opposed to it. Could someone contact either or both of the Coach Archers and see if this would be a problem and I would then contact the Big Sandy staff?

Again, the real challenge would be to come up with the "petition" that could be previewed on here and would be representative of both AAA, AA, and A teams interests. I'm thinking that the first and foremost issue would be regional realignment used in wrestling, followed by the AAA/AA/A classifications used in wrestling. The issue of how to run the state tournament I believe is a little more controversial. Maybe we should address things one step at a time and see sow that goes first. I believe it is the only way to get the numbers needed to show the diverse and state-wide support and prove this not an issue of one family, team, region, etc. Alright, who wants to take a stab at a "wrestling manifesto" and post it on here to be reviewed and tweaked? Remember, one needs to think of all the views expressed from wrestlers and teams in all the different situations around the state, with an eye towards keeping interest and competition alive and not just what makes the most "entertaining" situation for your own agenda or this will not work.

That's if we even have a state tournament. Up here, counties are going on strike tomorrow.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 am

KDunbar wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

As I alluded too all along, there is always a lot of talk (not by me) about the problem with the regional alignment, qualifying procedures for the state tournament, etc. At least it seems like there is a lot of talk about wanting change and brief ideas put forward on making things better. However, as I suspected, it was more talk than anything else or else no one thought the approach of getting the attention of the WVSSAC through large numbers and proof of wide spread support from the fan/parent/coach/administrator/wrestler-base about the need for change was feasible. At least everyone still has something to complain about again next season anyway.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 am

See you at the Marshall cafe.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:01 am

Frank wrote:See you at the Marshall cafe.

Sounds like the best option.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:55 am

So.......Marshall HOF Cafe, after first session? I will be there.

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Not everyone can make the Thursday round....

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:35 am

I've not read this thread but I am curious if anyone thought about non-scoring pigtails with fifth and fourth place regional placers, one and done. Sort of like the NCAA Basketball Tournament having 68 teams instead of 64. Just a thought.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:28 am

brentsams wrote:I've not read this thread but I am curious if anyone thought about non-scoring pigtails with fifth and fourth place regional placers, one and done. Sort of like the NCAA Basketball Tournament having 68 teams instead of 64. Just a thought.

This thread pointed out that some ideas keep getting discussed on the forum year after year, at least by a few individuals, but there does not seem to be any real inclination to move forward to attempt any change. So your idea is as good as any other.

Return to “High School Wrestling”