Any upsets in regionals?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
WrestlingFan1

Any upsets in regionals?

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 am

I just read where Trey Gunnoe of Independence beat Oak Hill's Christian Lively, and was wondering if there were any other upsets, or surprises around the state this past weekend.

huntington87

Re: Any upsets in regionals?

Postby huntington87 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:50 am

Parde pinned Starkey.

pin2win

Postby pin2win » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 pm

huntington87 wrote:Parde pinned Starkey.

Luck

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:09 pm

But you can never take it away from him. Ask Larry Owings........

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:49 pm

pin2win wrote:

Luck

When I heard about this match, I took upon myself that it was a masterful plan. If I was a coach and I was sending Parde out against Starkey, I would NOT attempt to wrestle a conventional match. Starkey is a bad match up for anybody. I predict he will bounce back from this and bring a lot of headaches for many in Huntington.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:55 pm

beep boop bop broken link
learn more at brokenlinkcheck.com
Last edited by greencrush on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sentenceseller

Zipp

Postby Zipp » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Pardee has wrestled great all season.

aaacoach90

Postby aaacoach90 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:19 pm

I wont say anything about luck but 4 of the top 5 170lbs AAA class is on one side of the bracket. Parde now has a nice flat straight freshly paved road to the finals and the others well like driving the back roads of wv to get there. As long as he doesnt swerve he will be there.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Bryant Dixon from Keyser, who reached the podium at stated last 2 years did not make it this year from Region 1, 138 lbs. He is an awesome wrestler. I was very shocked by that result.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Geoswaff wrote:Bryant Dixon from Keyser, who reached the podium at stated last 2 years did not make it this year from Region 1, 138 lbs. He is an awesome wrestler. I was very shocked by that result.

He lost to Madonna's Cook (2017 state runner up) in the semifinals and then East Fairmont's Fazenbaker in the consolation semifinals. This is what happens when you have regions like we do now.

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Madonna’s Hunter Baird at 160 # won the tough Region 1 AA/A championship from a 4 seed. He won in the finals 6-1.

Any other regional champs from a 4 seed or lower?

Treerat

Postby Treerat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Point Pleasant Hwt was a 5 seed

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:34 pm

aacoach61 wrote:Madonna’s Hunter Baird at 160 # won the tough Region 1 AA/A championship from a 4 seed. He won in the finals 6-1.

Any other regional champs from a 4 seed or lower?

Baird's championship was huge!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:10 pm

5th seed freshman Logan Conley defeated 4th seed Joel Cruickshanks 5-4 due to criteria (first wrestler to score) after they ended UTB tied 4-4. Cruickshanks was a qualifier last year and had beaten Conley the two previous times they met.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Respectfully disagree. Luck played a part in Owings. Lucky he caught Gable on a down day. Taught him a lesson. Gable whooped him a couple of months later at Olympic Trials. The match may have been his plan, but luck hit him the right day. I won a few matches by luck in my day. The matches went as I planned, but luck played a part in the wins. Twice I beat people who soundly trounced me several times later. I never should have beat either of them one time. But guess what. They can't take that away......Luck or not. LOL. By the way, I'm eternally greatful for the luck I had. LOL

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 pm

By the way, my wrestling game plans had me winning every match. HA!!!! I wasn't even a .500 wrestler!!!

Coachtt

Postby Coachtt » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Blaze Cain, Weir High not seeded in AA/A Region 1 126#, finished runner up! He beat the 2 seed and 3 seed by fall.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Coachtt wrote:Blaze Cain, Weir High not seeded in AA/A Region 1 126#, finished runner up! He beat the 2 seed and 3 seed by fall.

And he has a cool name.

Cowboy54

Postby Cowboy54 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:57 am

Bearhugger wrote:
pin2win wrote:

Luck

When I heard about this match, I took upon myself that it was a masterful plan. If I was a coach and I was sending Parde out against Starkey, I would NOT attempt to wrestle a conventional match. Starkey is a bad match up for anybody. I predict he will bounce back from this and bring a lot of headaches for many in Huntington.

Starkey was clearly hurt after the match and had to be helped to his feet. After being pinned he sat up and mouthed to his coach “My knee is f*****.” He also hurt the same knee while wrestling Holley from midland the week before.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:17 am

Cowboy54 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
pin2win wrote:

Luck

Starkey was clearly hurt after the match and had to be helped to his feet. After being pinned he sat up and mouthed to his coach “My knee is f*****.” He also hurt the same knee while wrestling Holley from midland the week before.

Not taking anything away from anybody, and I may recall it incorrectly but your user name brought it to mind. Wasn't it a cowboy that caught Starkey and do you really game plan that to use in the middle of a scramble? Again, just curious if I remembered it correctly.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 am

Richard Edwards, Huntington 152 lbs, seeded 6th and finished 2nd behind Josh Humphreys. He knocked the 4th and 6th state ranked wrestlers in AAA from making it to the State tournament.

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:00 am

In a mild upset, Jacob Berisford, who has been wrestling exceptionally well, hung around with Kaleb Simpkins until getting the TD in SV. Sets up a wild bottom half of the 170 bracket and leaves Berisford V. Parde in the drivers seat on the top.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 am

Bucktail wrote:In a mild upset, Jacob Berisford, who has been wrestling exceptionally well, hung around with Kaleb Simpkins until getting the TD in SV. Sets up a wild bottom half of the 170 bracket and leaves Berisford V. Parde in the drivers seat on the top.

I watched Jacob wrestle at the Brooke Classic and was impressed with him. Good job young man!
Moderator WV Mat

JMfan

Postby JMfan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 am

Gator wrote:
Bucktail wrote:In a mild upset, Jacob Berisford, who has been wrestling exceptionally well, hung around with Kaleb Simpkins until getting the TD in SV. Sets up a wild bottom half of the 170 bracket and leaves Berisford V. Parde in the drivers seat on the top.

I watched Jacob wrestle at the Brooke Classic and was impressed with him. Good job young man!

Berisford and Carman are practice partners in the room. They push each other to get better.

aacoach22

Postby aacoach22 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Geoswaff wrote:Bryant Dixon from Keyser, who reached the podium at stated last 2 years did not make it this year from Region 1, 138 lbs. He is an awesome wrestler. I was very shocked by that result.

He lost to Madonna's Cook (2017 state runner up) in the semifinals and then East Fairmont's Fazenbaker in the consolation semifinals. This is what happens when you have regions like we do now.

Bryant is a very talented and extremely tough wrestler. I have had the pleasure of coaching him these past four years. Not to take anything away from the talent in that weight class but Bryant was diagnosed with a complete tear to his ACL in early January. He decided to push through and wrestle with no ACL going against the opinion of his DR and many people around him. To his credit he never complained or ever used it as an excuse! I am so proud of his character that he was able to push through his injury to try and reach the State Tournament and place for a third time in his career. That however did not happen but I am still extremely proud of this young man and will be able to use this example of toughness for many years in the future for my future wrestlers!

Coach Rotruck

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 am

That does not surprise me at all. I hope he gets healed up and continues with his wrestling at the next level.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:02 pm

aacoach22 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Bryant is a very talented and extremely tough wrestler. I have had the pleasure of coaching him these past four years. Not to take anything away from the talent in that weight class but Bryant was diagnosed with a complete tear to his ACL in early January. He decided to push through and wrestle with no ACL going against the opinion of his DR and many people around him. To his credit he never complained or ever used it as an excuse! I am so proud of his character that he was able to push through his injury to try and reach the State Tournament and place for a third time in his career. That however did not happen but I am still extremely proud of this young man and will be able to use this example of toughness for many years in the future for my future wrestlers!

Coach Rotruck

Thank you for sharing this information. I hope he has a speedy recovery. In his consolation semifinal loss, he fought hard and almost pulled it off. Good luck.

Return to “High School Wrestling”