Refs

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: Refs

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:33 am

Hurtful

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 am

Bearclaw11 wrote:I was at the triple A Regionals and in all my years of wrestling I've never seen 2refs make a call and the crowd and parents over turn a call,the refs made let them do there job every time they made a call the fans would yell and say things that's sad.Nice fans south maybe you guys can come to other school tournaments and make the call for the refs.

If you were actually there then you would know that South didn’t receive very many calls from any officials as per usual

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:47 am

Bearclaw11 wrote:I was at the triple A Regionals and in all my years of wrestling I've never seen 2refs make a call and the crowd and parents over turn a call,the refs made let them do there job every time they made a call the fans would yell and say things that's sad.Nice fans south maybe you guys can come to other school tournaments and make the call for the refs.

I saw the same thing you did and the South coach went to the table and asked the ref to explain the call. After hearing the argument on the call the referee made the correct decision and changed it. I admire the referee for getting it right. They are human too. Overall I thought the reffing in region 4 was good.

Put on a zebra shirt and take the classes if you are that good at doing their job.
Moderator WV Mat

south supporter

Postby south supporter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:51 am

I was there and am anxious to hear what calls you are referring too? Maybe the one in the 106 semi finals where Huntington gets awarded 3 back points when he is on his back and in control and South wrestler on top of him or the very next match at 113 where it is in the exact same position however South is on his back and in control and Ripley on top of him and no back points awarded.

Maybe you are talking about the 132lb final when the South wrestler never lost control during a scramble out of bounds however PHS wrestler was still awarded an escape point?

Actually I know what you are talking about... The only call of the night that actually was so bad it got over turned. When two points were awarded for a takedown at 182lb final when the South wrestlers leg was actually on the hardwood floor before the points were awarded.

Maybe if other schools fans traveled and were as knowledgeable as South fans then they could make noise as well. Sad when the two farthest schools away from Huntington brings the most fans.

fakebrentsams

Postby fakebrentsams » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am

I agree with Gator!! I thought officials did pretty good job. Only thing I saw on several occasions was the refs being out of position for back points that may have caused them to miss a pin or two. Not bad for a bunch of humans.

My only beef is that a Brent Sams region tournament would have ran straight through with a 15 min break before the finals. Didn’t need breaks after every round. Did the director know I had church the next day.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:30 am

Gator wrote:

I saw the same thing you did and the South coach went to the table and asked the ref to explain the call. After hearing the argument on the call the referee made the correct decision and changed it. I admire the referee for getting it right. They are human too. Overall I thought the reffing in region 4 was good.

Put on a zebra shirt and take the classes if you are that good at doing their job.

I have to admit, I thought the officiating at the Region IV Tournament was really good. Officials are not going to nail every call, but I thought they did a bang up job. Our team was not on the great end of a lot of results, but the results of our matches didn't have anything to do with officiating. It's a tough job, and for the most part, I think they do an outstanding job. Like I said, nobody is perfect, and there are always going to be a call or two you don't agree with or that doesn't go your way.....but in the totality of it, we get as many as we give when it comes to being on the good side or bad side of any given call.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:58 am

Gator wrote:

The refs called the stall, they called the fall, but answer me this..............did the hospitality room have BBQs and slaw?????
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 am

A couple of observations from the R3 A/AA tournament reffing where 2 refs were used for semi finals and finals.

1) Having 2 refs resulted in more violation calls. I liked this as repeatedly locking hands in high school when your a multi year 30 plus wins a season wrestler would leave some to believe that it might be intentional.

2) Wrestler safety improves as whistle is blown immediately for PD and the ref is there to shield from going WAY out of bounds.

3) it gave the match a more intense, serious feeling having 2 wrestlers and 2 refs.

4) The one thing I did not like was the crew chief ref was one of the refs and when he made controversial call, I think the other ref would have been in a compromised position of disagreeing with his boss if he felt the call was wrong. Fortunately for him, he agreed with the call. Seems like the refs should be on equal footing.

crochog93

Postby crochog93 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 pm

AA Region IV had numerous officiating atrocities.. Just to name a few,

Highly questionable OOB calls. No consistency in this rule. By this point in the season you should be on top of it, and at the very least be consistent with how you call it.

A takedown called when the wrestlers were in a side by side whizzer position!! Objectively one of the worst calls ive seen in person in quite some time honestly. Was a very tight back and forth match, hated to see it end that way.

Referees sticking one or two hands underneath to determine fall!!! this one about made me blow a gasket.. First off, at the high school level you should not have to stick hands under and feel for a fall, especially in the regional finals.. if a ref cant eye the fall they probably shouldnt be reffing.

Im sure there are more i could name off but that was just a few that my good buddies and i saw in the stands on Friday and Saturday. But in my opinion those arent issues that should arise in a regional championship.

On a positive the majority of the officials there did a good job of protecting boys going OOB , calling correct potentially dangerous etc.. also saw the OOB two supporting points for nf/fall rule officiated correctly on a OOB nf situation. boy did not have 2 knees down so nf criteria could not be met.

Also, at one point, a questionable call was made and the head coach went to the table to talk to the official. Both officials got together and determined there was an error and corrected the call. Good to see the 2 officials get together and correct the mistake.

At the end of the day though still gotta appreciate the zebras for officiating, i know i sure as heck would not want to do what they do. So as far as them volunteering their time to the sports and kids, thank you for what you do.

-Crochog

BobbyBoatly37

Postby BobbyBoatly37 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Gator wrote:

The refs called the stall, they called the fall, but answer me this..............did the hospitality room have BBQs and slaw?????

They did indeed have slaw for the BBQs. Some of the best BBQ and slaw ive ever had !! Almost as good as my mammy's!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 pm

BobbyBoatly37 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
Gator wrote:

They did indeed have slaw for the BBQs. Some of the best BBQ and slaw ive ever had !! Almost as good as my mammy's!

Great! I have been waiting for your input since yesterday.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

aacoach111

Postby aacoach111 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 pm

I personally felt the referees at Region 1 A/AA tournament did an excellent job. They were, for the most part, invisible. Which is exactly what the referee should be during the match.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 pm

I think the officiating at the A-AA Region 2 Tournament was outstanding. I saw very little that a person could have complained about. Good job to those 4 men.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:48 pm

I have always enjoyed coaching and my relationship with officials. I think they do a good job and when approached respectfully will give an explanation of what they saw if you have a grasp of the rules. There are refs who have great senses of humor and can zing a one liner to make even the grouchiest coach laugh. Most but not all of those same officials have a good sense of humor and can take an occasional witty comment with a smile provided it is not mean spirited. I have noticed watching regionals at fairmont regionals that some of the officials who can dish it out apparently cannot take it. I think it is a sign of the times across America. Ring up a coach or wrestler for disrespect but if you made a wise comment and a coach or fan returns fire and happens to be a litttle bit funnier, don't take oneself so serious that we forget that this is forthekids

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Gator Nice response. I too was at the Region IV AAA!!! I personally thought the officials were really good and really consistent. As others have stated the refs are human and their points of view are from a different angle and a different view (probably the best view)than anyone sitting 40 or 50 feet away in the stands. The four referees at this region are very experienced and all State Tournament referees. When a coach came to the table to question a call the exact proper procedure was done by the head ref and they got the call right which is the most important thing!!!!Also the coach did not disrespect the ref and the ref also did not disrespect the coach as he listened to what he thought and eventually changed the call to get it right!!! Respect earns respect. I thought with the extreme competition of this region and the intensity of the matches the refereeing was outstanding!!!! Several of these matches will be repeats in the State finals!!! Just my opinion as I have been in their shoes many times!!!! George Keeney " Call the stall, call the fall, call it all"

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Agree it is about mutual respect.
Saying call the fall/stall/all has opened the floodgates. Rule book is going to look like a poetry collection by year's end. These are supposed to be funny, I don't think officials have a God complex any more than they're afraid to call the fall or the stall.

Check for Valtrex
Stop the Suplex
Don't have a God complex

Enjoy the view
Award the two
It's not about you

BobbyBoatly37

Postby BobbyBoatly37 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
BobbyBoatly37 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Great! I have been waiting for your input since yesterday.

Im sorry to have kept you waiting... I knew you were! Everyone wants to hear what Bobby Boatly has to say!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”