Last Man Standing

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Last Man Standing

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:02 pm

I apologize for the delay for the "Last Man Standing" post. Based on my current readings, the forum is primed for this incredible idea. This idea will solve many, if not all of the problems being talked about.

Coming tonight after dinner. Stay tuned.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

vortexfan

Re: Last Man Standing

Postby vortexfan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Anxiously waiting!! :shock:

Ol'Dad

Postby Ol'Dad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 pm

That was a phenomenal show

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:49 pm

It's after dinner.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 pm

mike.carman wrote:It's after dinner.

You ever see him eat Mike?
Moderator WV Mat

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Gator wrote:
mike.carman wrote:It's after dinner.

You ever see him eat Mike?

Can't say that I have ever met him. So no.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Just finished eating. Its coming. Solves all problems. WV can become an innovator and first!

tnur12

Postby tnur12 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 pm

Remember it is a varsity tournament.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Screenshot_20180212-191516.jpg
Screenshot_20180212-191516.jpg (146.93 KiB) Viewed 5120 times

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 pm

tnur12 wrote:Remember it is a varsity tournament.

Joe,

Varsity in this day and age doesn't mean anything like it did 10, 20 or 30++++ years ago. There are JV kids out there that are beating the tar off of many "varsity" wrestlers throughout the state. Look at the WSAZ. The 106 weight class has TWO wrestlers on the podium from THREE different schools. This means that THREE JV wrestlers whipped the majority of the VARSITY wrestlers on the 30 plus teams.

This "prestige" of being varsity and the false idea of "team" competitions is killing the sport. Go look at the majority of state tournament qualifiers for each given school. How is a school qualifying 1, 2, 3 or 4 wrestlers going to make a run for a team title???? A team runner up title? Madonna might pull it off in Single A but outside of that, forget it.

It is a wrestling tournament. It is called the West Virginia State Wrestling Tournament, or something of that nature. The word "varsity" is not in the title. It is set up based on how things were decades ago. The regional and state tournaments have not evolved well enough to compensate for how West Virginia has evolved.

More supporting information will be forthcoming.

tnur12

Postby tnur12 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:24 pm

You just addressed me by name. How did you come by it?

Coachcookie

Postby Coachcookie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm

The main reason I encouraged our Head Coach to take our team from PA to WSAZ's last year, was because it is an "open "tournament. its a small school with a brand new program. For the years I lived in WV, this tournament, as well as winners choice drew all the top teams, regardless of A/AA-AAA. albeit, with out the Parkersburg powerhouses.

Side nite, I have at least 1 other PA team interested in making the trip next year.

My friend Hinzfan, will disagree with me, but its an opportunity for all athletes to compete. I know the 106 class and the 113 had multiple JV placers, because I had dogs in the fight. There has to be an easy way to allow JV to at least fill the empty spots in the states brackets, or at least use the alternates from the region. ( Do you all use the ALTS to fill the spots now ?). If you only send 16 per division, how hard is it to seed a bracket?

The other option is to grade the regions, for example, our region in AA in PA sends 6, where our AAA only sends 3 because of the lack of competition/teams.

The continued argument that a 6th place wrestler from region X could place has been a valid argument for years, while a weaker region can send an athlete with a loosing record to the big show.

WV is starting to put wrestlers on the map, this is a fact. Look at Souths efforts at Ironman and Poweraid.

Change is uncomfortable, but its becoming necessary.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 am

tnur12 wrote:You just addressed me by name. How did you come by it?

Joe, I have an ever growing network within the WV wrestling community. People share information. People rat others out.

I also occasionally do pretty well figuring things out. I can look at things such as scores, seeding criteria and tournament brackets and then figure out something wrong has happened somewhere.

You can call me Robert since we are on a first name basis. I also do not subscribe to using "keyboard courage".

tnur12

Postby tnur12 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 am

I have never told anyone my identity regarding this forum. Come up with a real answer.
As to the varsity comment not being valid, please get this solution presented.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 am

tnur12 wrote:I have never told anyone my identity regarding this forum. Come up with a real answer.

As I have already said, I also occasionally do pretty well figuring things out. Solution provided on another forum topic just now. Enjoy!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 pm

tnur12 wrote:I have never told anyone my identity regarding this forum. Come up with a real answer.

I guess you'll just have to come up with a new name to hide behind.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Coachcookie wrote:The main reason I encouraged our Head Coach to take our team from PA to WSAZ's last year, was because it is an "open "tournament. its a small school with a brand new program. For the years I lived in WV, this tournament, as well as winners choice drew all the top teams, regardless of A/AA-AAA. albeit, with out the Parkersburg powerhouses.

Side nite, I have at least 1 other PA team interested in making the trip next year.

My friend Hinzfan, will disagree with me, but its an opportunity for all athletes to compete. I know the 106 class and the 113 had multiple JV placers, because I had dogs in the fight. There has to be an easy way to allow JV to at least fill the empty spots in the states brackets, or at least use the alternates from the region. ( Do you all use the ALTS to fill the spots now ?). If you only send 16 per division, how hard is it to seed a bracket?

The other option is to grade the regions, for example, our region in AA in PA sends 6, where our AAA only sends 3 because of the lack of competition/teams.

The continued argument that a 6th place wrestler from region X could place has been a valid argument for years, while a weaker region can send an athlete with a loosing record to the big show.

WV is starting to put wrestlers on the map, this is a fact. Look at Souths efforts at Ironman and Poweraid.

Change is uncomfortable, but its becoming necessary.

Thank you for sharing this valuable input. I see that Pennsylvania is more innovative than West Virginia when it comes to dealing with regional imbalances. It is no wonder PA is a hot bed for college recruiters.

Now correct me if I am wrong but didn't SJA only bring 5 wrestlers to the WSAZ in 2017?

Didn't SJA bring only 9 wrestlers to the WSAZ in 2018 and score more points than any other team?

Must be the innovation rubbing off on the young wrestling kids.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Just curious because I don't know and not really trying to make any point in reality; is SJA a public school or a private school with students coming from all over?

Coachcookie

Postby Coachcookie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Bearhugger,

You are correct on your numbers, we brought 9 Varsity and 2 JV this year.

KDunbar.

SJA is a private Catholic school in Boalsburg PA. We have kids on the team from 4 or 5 local schools.

Return to “High School Wrestling”