AA/A TEAM Race

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

AA/A TEAM Race

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:48 am

I am not sure how many schools had a wrestling team this season in AA/A. I do know that 55 AA/A schools qualified at least 1 wrestler and there are some schools that did not qualify any out of regional action.

Of these 55 schools, only eight schools qualified 7 or more wrestlers (7 = half a team). 47 schools qualified less than 7.

Quick breakdown:

11 schools qualified 2 wrestlers.

10 schools qualified 1 wrestler.

26 schools qualified 3 to 6 wrestlers.

The beauty of wrestling is that one of these lone qualifiers could become a state champion individually. Team wise, one or two schools have a chance.

This is not a team sport folks.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Re: AA/A TEAM Race

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I am not sure how many schools had a wrestling team this season in AA/A. I do know that 55 AA/A schools qualified at least 1 wrestler and there are some schools that did not qualify any out of regional action.

Of these 55 schools, only eight schools qualified 7 or more wrestlers (7 = half a team). 47 schools qualified less than 7.

Quick breakdown:

The beauty of wrestling is that one of these lone qualifiers could become a state champion individually. Team wise, one or two schools have a chance.

I get what you continue to drive at. But maybe from a team standpoint, only those who end up qualifying several wrestlers ever had a chance at the team title in any case. That's the way it is in all team sports. Some teams never really had a chance that season. I know this doesn't address the AA/A combined situation and how it affects the actual A team champion crowned due to the inequality of regions and its affect on the numbers sent by the smaller teams.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:47 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:I am not sure how many schools had a wrestling team this season in AA/A. I do know that 55 AA/A schools qualified at least 1 wrestler and there are some schools that did not qualify any out of regional action.

Quick breakdown:

I get what you continue to drive at. But maybe from a team standpoint, only those who end up qualifying several wrestlers ever had a chance at the team title in any case. That's the way it is in all team sports. Some teams never really had a chance that season. I know this doesn't address the AA/A combined situation and how it affects the actual A team champion crowned due to the inequality of regions and its affect on the numbers sent by the smaller teams.

Wrestling in WV is in the shape it is in due to the mentality of complicating needed improvements with "other sports" and "other states". In almost all of the other team sports in high school, there has to be enough participants to function together "as a team" in order to play the given sport. You have to have at least 5 players to play a basketball game. You only need one wrestler to have a wrestling team. 21 schools listed that are taking 1 to 2 wrestlers to the state tournament.

The best example is the 2017 state wrestling tournament. Caleb Rea of Weir was the ONLY state tournament qualifier for Weir High School. He went and won a state title. Without looking, I couldn't tell you where Weir finished in the team points standing.

Coachtt

Postby Coachtt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Caleb Rea, Placed Weir High School 21st overall, 16th in AA state tournament last year.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Coachtt wrote:Caleb Rea, Placed Weir High School 21st overall, 16th in AA state tournament last year.

It is great that Weir High School had a team. Otherwise, Caleb would not have been given the opportunity to compete.

For the readers, Weir is in the toughest AA/A region and they have qualified 3 wrestlers this season. Good luck to these three wrestlers in their quest for individual achievements.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

Quick breakdown:

Wrestling in WV is in the shape it is in due to the mentality of complicating needed improvements with "other sports" and "other states". In almost all of the other team sports in high school, there has to be enough participants to function together "as a team" in order to play the given sport. You have to have at least 5 players to play a basketball game. You only need one wrestler to have a wrestling team. 21 schools listed that are taking 1 to 2 wrestlers to the state tournament.

The best example is the 2017 state wrestling tournament. Caleb Rea of Weir was the ONLY state tournament qualifier for Weir High School. He went and won a state title. Without looking, I couldn't tell you where Weir finished in the team points standing.

So, then you're saying that wrestling is the best team sport because unlike all others, even if you don't have enough numbers they will still let you in the game (sarcasm). Like if you only had 4 basketball players, yet you were so good you could beat lesser teams with 5, they would let you try (attempt at a humorous example).

Actually, although you keep coming back to this same argument, I'm not comparing wrestling to anything else. I'm just speaking about wrestling. However, you will just counter this point of view by saying I am "living in the past".

It's not so much that I totally disagree with you, it's just that you seem to dismiss the team nature of the sport and this seems to take away from those who are able to put together a team. It's almost like since you (not me) see the South wrestling team as being so dominant that there is no team aspect to the sport. I assure you there still is and things will shift with a little time.

I guess I'm just saying, I would like to see you propose the changes you would like because of all the reasons you have stated without trying to convince people that there is no team aspect to the sport. To some (maybe many), it is a very big aspect of the sport. I know to me It is, no matter who is at the top.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:22 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

So, then you're saying that wrestling is the best team sport because unlike all others, even if you don't have enough numbers they will still let you in the game (sarcasm). Like if you only had 4 basketball players, yet you were so good you could beat lesser teams with 5, they would let you try (attempt at a humorous example).

Actually, although you keep coming back to this same argument, I'm not comparing wrestling to anything else. I'm just speaking about wrestling. However, you will just counter this point of view by saying I am "living in the past".

It's not so much that I totally disagree with you, it's just that you seem to dismiss the team nature of the sport and this seems to take away from those who are able to put together a team. It's almost like since you (not me) see the South wrestling team as being so dominant that there is no team aspect to the sport. I assure you there still is and things will shift with a little time.

I guess I'm just saying, I would like to see you propose the changes you would like because of all the reasons you have stated without trying to convince people that there is no team aspect to the sport. To some (maybe many), it is a very big aspect of the sport. I know to me It is, no matter who is at the top.

You and others need to focus more on the current state of WV wrestling and less on my delivery. Its like a person screams "get out of the house, it is on fire" and the people get upset because they were yelled at.

Return to “High School Wrestling”