LCQ Example - Woodrow Wilson 285lbs

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

LCQ Example - Woodrow Wilson 285lbs

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 am

Here is a great example on how the Last Chance Qualifier could make wrestling great again.

At this season’s WSAZ tournament, Woodrow Wilson had THREE wrestlers make the 285lb podium.

The varsity wrestler is Tyree Swafford. Swafford placed 4th in the 2016 state tournament. He also placed 4th again at the 2017 state tournament. It is fair to say that Swafford gets it done on the mat. Tyree Swafford finished 2nd at the WSAZ.

Tristan Stiffler also of Woodrow Wilson finished in 5th place by beating fellow teammate Pomeroy (6th).

Here is a rundown of Stiffler’s WSAZ performance:
1. Stiffler defeated Osburn of Cabell-Midland 5 to 3.
2. Stiffler lost 2-1 to Chapman of Riverside.
3. Stiffler defeated Kelley of Huntington 3 to 1. Kelly pinned Kincaid of George Washington.
4. Stiffler pinned Hartman of Petersburg. Hartman pinned Kilmer of Musselman.

Here is a summary of 2018 AAA state tournament qualifiers as it pertains to the above:

1. Swafford is the AAA Region 3 runner up to Chapman of Riverside.
2. Osburn of Cabell-Midland qualified for states by finishing 3rd in AAA Region 4.
3. Kelly of Huntington qualified for states by finishing 4th in AAA Region 4.
4. Kincaid of GW qualified for states by finishing 4th in AAA Region 3.
5. Kilmer of Musselman qualified for states by finishing as runner up in AAA Region 2.

The LCQ would probably make Tristan Stiffler happy.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Re: LCQ Example - Woodrow Wilson 285lbs

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Sounds like to me you're making a case for recruiting. Just kidding :) .

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm

KDunbar wrote:Sounds like to me you're making a case for recruiting. Just kidding :) .

My case is to give the best the chance to qualify for the state tournament. Kicking tail and qualifying is not getting a participation trophy. It is entering competition and earning what you get. If a non-scoring wrestler(team points) beats out a scoring wrestler, then tough. The scoring wrestler wasn't good enough, thus his team doesn't get any team points.

Currently, we have a false regional qualification process that equates to false team points scored. The WSAZ is the best tournament in WV because it merges AAA, AA, A, Out of state and JV wrestlers. The wrestlers are seeded. Nobody cries about losing team points in the WSAZ when a JV wrestler knocks out a varsity wrestler. Then why cry if it would happen at regionals? States???

The WSAZ has become the blueprint for what solid wrestling competition can be.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:Sounds like to me you're making a case for recruiting. Just kidding :) .

My case is to give the best the chance to qualify for the state tournament. Kicking tail and qualifying is not getting a participation trophy. It is entering competition and earning what you get. If a non-scoring wrestler(team points) beats out a scoring wrestler, then tough. The scoring wrestler wasn't good enough, thus his team doesn't get any team points.

Currently, we have a false regional qualification process that equates to false team points scored. The WSAZ is the best tournament in WV because it merges AAA, AA, A, Out of state and JV wrestlers. The wrestlers are seeded. Nobody cries about losing team points in the WSAZ when a JV wrestler knocks out a varsity wrestler. Then why cry if it would happen at regionals? States???

Again, I was just kidding, and thus the smile. I admit it was not a productive comment while you are being serious. It just struck me that apparently Woodrow Wilson has three 285 lbs wrestlers (and apparently all good quality wrestlers) while there are so many teams that could use just one.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:17 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Again, I was just kidding, and thus the smile. I admit it was not a productive comment while you are being serious. It just struck me that apparently Woodrow Wilson has three 285 lbs wrestlers (and apparently all good quality wrestlers) while there are so many teams that could use just one.

The easier solution is let Stiffler wrestle his way in through a LCQ. He can then get into the state tournament and clean out 3 to 4 qualifiers like he did at the WSAZ. Then we will have a better state tournament. Do we want competition that rewards hard work, effort and talent or do we want bureaucracy, politics and outdated ways handcuffing the athletes?

PA is innovative and they are kicking WVs tails.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

The easier solution is let Stiffler wrestle his way in through a LCQ. He can then get into the state tournament and clean out 3 to 4 qualifiers like he did at the WSAZ. Then we will have a better state tournament. Do we want competition that rewards hard work, effort and talent or do we want bureaucracy, politics and outdated ways handcuffing the athletes?

PA is innovative and they are kicking WVs tails.

One might think they were "kicking (some of) WVs tails" for quite some time without any need for innovations. However, isn't the only thing that was said is that they changed the qualifiers in AAA regions down to 3? Are they now wrestling JV wrestlers in their State tournament? Now you can't tell me we shouldn't focus on what other states are doing after you just did ;) .
With that said, I do agree that"if" something is to be done that "recruiting" is not the answer and the LCQ or a 2LCQ could be the way. However, although one could tout it as a "money maker", most of the people committing more time to it would be volunteering more time on top of the countless hours they already are and that others of us (me included) tend to lose site of.
Just trying to remain fair and balanced also :) .

Return to “High School Wrestling”