Just a couple of questions

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
popajoe

Just a couple of questions

Postby popajoe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:23 am

Many people are talking about JV wrestlers and states. My first question is don't we want the best wrestlers to go to states? Before everyone loses their mind and starts talking about team scores and other stuff place a rule that you can only score one wrestler from each school per weight class. My second concerns the pill. Wouldn't it be easier to see the Regional Champs based on a win percentage then seed the others using a critera? It could be winning percentage or head to head results. Any thoughts on this? Let the kids wrestle.

MaleMatMaid

Re: Just a couple of questions

Postby MaleMatMaid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 am

popajoe wrote:Many people are talking about JV wrestlers and states. My first question is don't we want the best wrestlers to go to states? Before everyone loses their mind and starts talking about team scores and other stuff place a rule that you can only score one wrestler from each school per weight class. My second concerns the pill. Wouldn't it be easier to see the Regional Champs based on a win percentage then seed the others using a critera? It could be winning percentage or head to head results. Any thoughts on this? Let the kids wrestle.

I don't like the idea of winning percentage being the main criteria. Teams that actually wrestle tough schedules to better their kids would basically be penalized as opposed to teams that have their wrestlers wrestle same kids that they beat over and over again. Not really a fair way to "seed" wrestlers in my opinion.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:59 am

MaleMatMaid wrote:
popajoe wrote:Many people are talking about JV wrestlers and states. My first question is don't we want the best wrestlers to go to states? Before everyone loses their mind and starts talking about team scores and other stuff place a rule that you can only score one wrestler from each school per weight class. My second concerns the pill. Wouldn't it be easier to see the Regional Champs based on a win percentage then seed the others using a critera? It could be winning percentage or head to head results. Any thoughts on this? Let the kids wrestle.

I don't like the idea of winning percentage being the main criteria. Teams that actually wrestle tough schedules to better their kids would basically be penalized as opposed to teams that have their wrestlers wrestle same kids that they beat over and over again. Not really a fair way to "seed" wrestlers in my opinion.

Not really fair either to leave out a JV kid that’s better wrestler than many varsity ones.(at states) Just saying

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Here are the problems:

1. Back in the 70s, 80s and even 90s, we didn't have the high level of information (WVMAT) like we do now. Outstanding tools such as the scores section, the individual polls, the forum section and the regional maps have given all of us a great awareness of what is going on. However, when one uses all of these tools together, they then see how whacked out things are. The regions are whacked out!

2. Back in the 70s, 80s and even 90s, we didn't have JV wrestling near as much as they are now. Although this increase in JV activity is great for the JV, it has now created another monster. We all have awareness through the informational tools discussed above, that many JVs are simply better than many state tournament qualifiers. It is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of who beat who on the mat. Who is being sent to the state tournament and who is forced to stay home is whacked out!

3. Too many traditionalists are too worried about team points up to the point that they welcome byes in the state tournament. Last season there was substantial dialogue about the potential for byes at the state tournament. Although when the 2017 regional tournaments completed, I do not think there were any byes. However, byes were created due to skin check failures at the state tournament. Last season's bye discussions were ignored. This season, there are 3 byes in AAA. How many next season? I predict 220 in AAA will have a lot of byes in 2019.

4. Although I haven't done the thorough research yet, I believe that both the AAA and AA/A team titles have only been won by approximately 4 schools each in the past 30 years. There is your team title race history.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 pm

vortexfan wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:

Not really fair either to leave out a JV kid that’s better wrestler than many varsity ones.(at states) Just saying

Track allows two people per event. I am taking upon myself they both score points??? Somebody chime in please.

As for wrestling, only allow one wrestler to score team points.

To be clear, they wrestle in the region. The top four wrestlers ear their way to the state tournament.

1. It will increase participation.
2. It will increase the "prestige" of making it to the state tournament. You will have to actually wrestle and win some matches. Currently, too many regions have too many weight classes where there are only 4 wrestlers. 100% qualify.
3. Increased wrestlers in the regions increases the chance that there are more than four wrestlers, thus NO BYES!

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:20 pm

If you want to use winning percentage, it should be in-state percentage as first criteria. You don't want to punish someone wrestling regional and national competition.

JustAFan2015

Postby JustAFan2015 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Track can enter three per event and one relay. Unless meet specifies. Regional qualifies top three in running events plus next four best times from across state. Field events have qualifying height or distance. It’s all in the inter scholastic on ssac website

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 pm

brentsams wrote:

If you want to use winning percentage, it should be in-state percentage as first criteria. You don't want to punish someone wrestling regional and national competition.

BINGO! Two records can be maintained. Complete record and "WV Competition ONLY" record.

Wmc2

Postby Wmc2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:30 pm

Amen!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:45 am

JustAFan2015 wrote:Track can enter three per event and one relay. Unless meet specifies. Regional qualifies top three in running events plus next four best times from across state. Field events have qualifying height or distance. It’s all in the inter scholastic on ssac website

Why should track limit it to a set number per school when there are probably many, many "JV" track kids out there who could make every team meet better and make a better State Track meet? (Actually, I already know that for small track meets between just a few schools, everyone gets to run. They just don't waste blanks using a starting gun and don't bother to record times). Just don't score team points for the"JV" kids and give out place points all the way to 6th or 8th place by skipping over the "JV" kids when calculating who places where. It's the only way to make sure we always have the best runners running.
Amen brother!
(excuse me, forgot to add, just being sarcastic)

Return to “High School Wrestling”