9th graders that will be a force next year??

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
P.H.D.

Re: 9th graders that will be a force next year??

Postby P.H.D. » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:02 am

9th grader Gavin Quiocho is a force this year. Incredible athleticism, strength and intuition. He is at the top of this list in my opinion.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:28 am

P.H.D. wrote:9th grader Gavin Quiocho is a force this year. Incredible athleticism, strength and intuition. He is at the top of this list in my opinion.

The interesting thing is that he started out the year in the preseason wrestling at 145 lbs behind Martin at 132 and Shamblin at 138. It was really neat seeing this "little kid" coming out on the mat at the York, PA preseason matches against the toughest wrestlers across the board I have seen all year, including the Ironman and Powerade (most teams there were club teams from PA and NJ with Josh Humphreys actually wrestling for his NJ club team). Giving up about 6 to 10 inches and 10 plus pounds most couldn't believe what just hit them, even if he didn't win every match. It was fun to watch as he just wouldn't quit. Since we're talking about 9th graders and Gavin, I would like also to put in a good word for Wheeling Parks 9th grader at 132, Billy Gooch. They wrestled a close match at the OVAC tournament and Gavin caught him in a cradle early at the OVAC duals , but he is also an excellent wrestler and super for a 9th grader. If they meet again it will probably be a barn-burning as I'm sure Gooch will have Gavin on his radar. Good luck to both. That's what wrestling is all about.

mattman

Postby mattman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:32 am

How American minds turn never amaze me. Huge transition from 8 to 9th grade, trust me because my freshman son lost more his freshman year than he lost in middle school combined. Go ahead and count those titles because these high school kids mean business! If you don’t have the right partner or coaches on the staff you can always fall back on what might have been! I could add plenty more but sometimes you have to feel before you learn! Good luck fellas
Last edited by mattman on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 am

mattman wrote:How American minds turn never amaze me. Huge transition from 8 to 9th grade, trust me because my freshman son lost more his freshman year than he lost in middle school combined. Go ahead and count those titles because these high school kids mean business! If you don’t have the right partner or coaches on the staff you can always fall back on what might have been! I could add plenty more but sometimes you have to feel before you learn! Good luck fellas

With the fluency in the above, I'm wondering about what's going on late on a Friday night (Saturday morning) and I don't exactly understand what's being said. However, this post is about 9th graders who will be a force "next year". Some people mentioned that some might be a force this year. However, for the most part no one is really predicting multiple state titles for 9th graders. However, if you look back at the State tournament over the past several years you will see ample examples of 9th grade state champions despite your son's experience.

mattman

Postby mattman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:35 pm

KDunbar wrote:
mattman wrote:How American minds turn never amaze me. Huge transition from 8 to 9th grade, trust me because my freshman son lost more his freshman year than he lost in middle school combined. Go ahead and count those titles because these high school kids mean business! If you don’t have the right partner or coaches on the staff you can always fall back on what might have been! I could add plenty more but sometimes you have to feel before you learn! Good luck fellas

With the fluency in the above, I'm wondering about what's going on late on a Friday night (Saturday morning) and I don't exactly understand what's being said. However, this post is about 9th graders who will be a force "next year". Some people mentioned that some might be a force this year. However, for the most part no one is really predicting multiple state titles for 9th graders. However, if you look back at the State tournament over the past several years you will see ample examples of 9th grade state champions despite your son's experience.
the post i was excited about was deleted. Someone thought that 9-10 8th graders could win the high school state tournament this year unless I read it wrong. The only 8th grader imo that could possibly win as an 8th grader would be Raike. Kid is tough as nails and loves the sport. There are many tough freshmen that will make noise this year and if they work hard all year, they will be a force next season also. There will always be kids who dont have a partner to push them,kids who lose passion for the sport, and you have to stay healthy. This is a sport of comers and goers so I stay away from the predictions and let the kids sort it out. The kids that work hard will succeed. The kids who are lazy will get lost in the crowd. Thats what makes this sport great

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:12 pm

mattman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

the post i was excited about was deleted. Someone thought that 9-10 8th graders could win the high school state tournament this year unless I read it wrong. The only 8th grader imo that could possibly win as an 8th grader would be Raike. Kid is tough as nails and loves the sport. There are many tough freshmen that will make noise this year and if they work hard all year, they will be a force next season also. There will always be kids who dont have a partner to push them,kids who lose passion for the sport, and you have to stay healthy. This is a sport of comers and goers so I stay away from the predictions and let the kids sort it out. The kids that work hard will succeed. The kids who are lazy will get lost in the crowd. Thats what makes this sport great

Sorry about that, this deletion thing happens to me all the time. I arrive late and respond to something and something has been deleted and I look stupider than usual.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:51 pm

RuntheBar wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
RuntheBar wrote:If high school is having such a hard time filling lineups why not allow middle school kids who are good enough move up.

I am sure that will do wonders for the middle school wrestling programs.

I'm not saying all the middle school kids but the ones who are talented enough to start should have the choice.

But that is not the way it would work. Every parent who dislikes the middle school coach and thinks their Little Johnny would be the next Kyle Dake if he just had a better coach will be demanding that their kid get to wrestle for the high school and disrupting both the middle school and high school programs. As a coach I can say, nobody needs that.

In addition, very few 8th graders are ready to compete at the high school level. A few are, but not many. to open that can of worms so that a handful of 8th graders can compete in high school just doesn't make sense.

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:20 pm

RuntheBar wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
RuntheBar wrote:If high school is having such a hard time filling lineups why not allow middle school kids who are good enough move up.

I'm not saying all the middle school kids but the ones who are talented enough to start should have the choice.

Let them wrestle both if good enough.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:33 pm

abettnman wrote:
RuntheBar wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

Let them wrestle both if good enough.

Most middle school seasons are over before regionals. If a team has a forfeiting weight class, let a middle schooler fill it.
Moderator WV Mat

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:56 pm

coach_williams wrote:
RuntheBar wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

But that is not the way it would work. Every parent who dislikes the middle school coach and thinks their Little Johnny would be the next Kyle Dake if he just had a better coach will be demanding that their kid get to wrestle for the high school and disrupting both the middle school and high school programs. As a coach I can say, nobody needs that.

In addition, very few 8th graders are ready to compete at the high school level. A few are, but not many. to open that can of worms so that a handful of 8th graders can compete in high school just doesn't make sense.

Sometimes it would be easier to place as an 8th grader than as a 9th grader. A good 8th grader who weighs 106 is more likely to place than the same kid his 9th grade year if he gained up to 120 lbs.

Looking at the 1991 AAA 103 state tournament bracket from my 8th grade year and I think I could have placed 2nd that year. Higgins from (Pburg) was tough, but the others were all beatable.

I'd rather allow 8th graders to participate in regional and states than see Byes in the state tournament. I dont really expect to see that rule change anytime soon though :)

staggsdental

Postby staggsdental » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Tarley FS
Layman RC

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:35 am

Both of these wrestlers will be a force in high school.
facebook video: https://www.facebook.com/coach.buddy/vi ... 7567831624

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:38 am

coach_williams wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:Conley- Braxton
Conaway- North Marion
Scott- Fairmont Senior
Vanmeter- Moorefield
Summers- Bport
Kuhn- Lewis County

A couple of these boys are still wrestling though they may not be a threat to place this year, but all showed a high ceiling for the future.

All good wrestlers. Regarding the ones I know, Van Meter is regional champ at 160 and Summers is regional champ at 220, Conley beat a state qualifier from last year to get into states this year, and Kuhn finished 2nd at regionals, so all of these freshmen may still have some being "a force" to do this year.

I was talking about the Summers from Bport who wrestles either 138 or 145, not 220... Also, the Scott kid got screwed and couldn't even compete in regionals due to contracting good ole ringworm between the Big 10 tournament and regionals. Sucks for kids when that happens... but props to his parents and coaches for being responsible enough to not try and hide it like we've seen a few times this year. And yes, it would be nice to see one of those young guys still in it to get a decent place at states this year.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Raike from point pleasant would win AA 106 and 113 this year if he was allowed to compete!!

Cementmixer

Postby Cementmixer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Raike from point pleasant would win AA 106 and 113 this year if he was allowed to compete!!

I'm guessing AA or AAA

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Raike from point pleasant would win AA 106 and 113 this year if he was allowed to compete!!

I think we ought to allow middle schoolers to compete in High School if they are capable.

JR080502

Postby JR080502 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:01 pm

@mike.carmen.
who or what would be the criteria for saying that the 8th grader would be "capable" or what criteria would the said person have to go by to say the kid was "capable" to compete on that level? Im not saying that the kids aren't ready for that level and would love to see kids that young could compete on that level. Might even humble some of the kids that think they are the best when there is a kid that hasn't even got out of middle school that could beat them. But do you just say all 8th graders or all middle schoolers, or set an age limit? Don't leave it to an opinion, you may hurt some mommy or daddies feelings.

Mwright

Postby Mwright » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:42 pm

JR080502 wrote:@mike.carmen.
who or what would be the criteria for saying that the 8th grader would be "capable" or what criteria would the said person have to go by to say the kid was "capable" to compete on that level? Im not saying that the kids aren't ready for that level and would love to see kids that young could compete on that level. Might even humble some of the kids that think they are the best when there is a kid that hasn't even got out of middle school that could beat them. But do you just say all 8th graders or all middle schoolers, or set an age limit? Don't leave it to an opinion, you may hurt some mommy or daddies feelings.

Wouldn't a wrestle off settle this??

2sexy

Postby 2sexy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 am

Lloyd Christmas 106 AAA ...lol wake the H E Double hockey sticks up

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 am

2sexy wrote:Lloyd Christmas 106 AAA ...lol wake the H E Double hockey sticks up

It'd be a much better match than you thinking it is an "lol" situation. Kid can rassell.

EDIT: Results from nationals two years ago: Raike (WV) dec Donahue (WV) 5-0
Tench

crochog93

Postby crochog93 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 am

You really dont think raike could win that match? Counting him out would be a mistake.
I think you are the one that needs to "wake the H E Double Hockey Sticks up"
This match could go down at the mason county open. Im sure it could be arranged easily.. I think you would be in for a surprise.

crochog93

Postby crochog93 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:56 am

mscoach20 wrote:

It'd be a much better match than you thinking it is an "lol" situation. Kid can rassell.

Interesting.. what you have to say about that 2sexy?? :roll:

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:56 pm

crochog93 wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:

Interesting.. what you have to say about that 2sexy?? :roll:

I saw the whole thing. It was a Big red stallfest. Should've been a lot worse. The match wasn't close.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 pm

First off if you read my post you would see the letters AA. Someone else may need to wake up. But now that I looked at AAA 106 I feel Raike would still win it.

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:

First off if you read my post you would see the letters AA. Someone else may need to wake up. But now that I looked at AAA 106 I feel Raike would still win it.

Have to agree with Lloyd here

Pointwrestler2

Postby Pointwrestler2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Don’t forget a kid named Justin White from Point Pleasant
All around batter than raike and will be a force to be reconed with next year

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 am

:roll: Better than Raike? Wow. Lol. What an unprovoked statement SM

Pointwrestler2

Postby Pointwrestler2 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:54 pm

oroyos wrote::roll: Better than Raike? Wow. Lol. What an unprovoked statement SM

I have watched them both wrestle multiple times and White comes out on top every time

Cementmixer

Postby Cementmixer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Both great wrestlers. Why try to cause a divide on the same team SM

Cementmixer

Postby Cementmixer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:43 pm

He should. He weighs 130

Return to “High School Wrestling”