Fight for every kids’ right to wrestle in Huntington

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach61

Fight for every kids’ right to wrestle in Huntington

Postby aacoach61 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:05 am

Each county has a 5-member elected board of education. I have served as a county board member. Wrestlers and their parents in counties with an obstinate superintendent need to immediately call and ask for an emergency board meeting calling for a vote reversing the superintendent and directing that steps be taken to get these qualifiers to Huntington. Invite your local WVEA or teachers union rep to the meeting so we can see if they truly have the best interests of the kids at heart.

If that doesn’t work, get a local attorney to seek an extraordinary writ against the superintendent in Circuit Court compelling that the kids attend, alleging irreparable harm.

A state wrestling tournament is a lifetime experience and should not be missed on account of an informational work stoppage. Former President Jimmy Carter boycotted the Moscow Olympics that cost many wrestlers who worked their entire life a shot at the gold medal. It was a terrible and selfish decision.

Never give up. Fight for the kids’ right to be a kid and wrestle in Huntington.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: Fight for every kids’ right to wrestle in Huntington

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:41 am

Might we be getting a tad carried away ? Not sure that comparing this situation , ( which has yet to come to fruition), to a geopolitical decision involving the Olympics is an appropriate analogy. Lol.
And is it truly the wrestler’s “right” to compete in a High School wrestling tournament?
I, of course hope that all kids get the opportunity to compete despite the proposed “ work stoppage”, but lets maintain our perspective. :lol:

timamos

Postby timamos » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 am

Excellent post.
A strike is a form of civil disobedience. Defying a superintendent's order next weekend is another form of civil disobedience. The only basis the superintendent could base this decision on is safety. Obtain an affidavit from your union rep that sports will not be affected and no coach athlete or fan will be in danger as a result of attending practice or competition. Defy the immoral order and go to the event anyway. At worst the superintendent can try to fire you from a coaching job. If that happens the wrestling fans from around the state should have your back. If the union genuinely cares about kids then it will too. Superintendent will be stuck arguing that the coaches fulfilling the terms of existing contracts should be fired but the ones not honoring the existing contracts are okay.

The original post was correct. Many years ago I had a situation where a superintendent told me that the board answers to him not vice versa. After a discussion with those board members he discovered that he was mistaken about the pecking order. Expensive lesson.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 am

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Might we be getting a tad carried away ? Not sure that comparing this situation , ( which has yet to come to fruition), to a geopolitical decision involving the Olympics is an appropriate analogy. Lol.
And is it truly the wrestler’s “right” to compete in a High School wrestling tournament?
I, of course hope that all kids get the opportunity to compete despite the proposed “ work stoppage”, but lets maintain our perspective. :lol:

If the wrestler has done everything right to qualify for the state tournament and the tournament does indeed take place as scheduled, then yes, the wrestler has a right to compete. Why wouldn't they?

The state tournament begins in four days. The alleged strike begins in four days. Regarding "Fruition", some wrestlers might not get to wrestle. On the other hand, they might get to. One of the life lesson wrestling should have taught everybody is to be prepared.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Might we be getting a tad carried away ? Not sure that comparing this situation , ( which has yet to come to fruition), to a geopolitical decision involving the Olympics is an appropriate analogy. Lol.

If the wrestler has done everything right to qualify for the state tournament and the tournament does indeed take place as scheduled, then yes, the wrestler has a right to compete. Why wouldn't they?

The state tournament begins in four days. The alleged strike begins in four days. Regarding "Fruition", some wrestlers might not get to wrestle. On the other hand, they might get to. One of the life lesson wrestling should have taught everybody is to be prepared.

You can type that it is a strike 100 times...and I’ll correct you 100 times. Teddy Bear...you know this isn’t a strike. As does everyone else in state. Need your stirring rod?
Tench

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:28 am

mscoach20 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

You can type that it is a strike 100 times...and I’ll correct you 100 times. Teddy Bear...you know this isn’t a strike. As does everyone else in state. Need your stirring rod?

What is it then? Just curious. And will school be closed on Thursday and Friday? If so, I’m not sure it matters what it is classified as. If schools will be open then obviously this discussion of whether wrestlers can participate isn’t necessary.

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

guard0544 wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

What is it then? Just curious. And will school be closed on Thursday and Friday? If so, I’m not sure it matters what it is classified as. If schools will be open then obviously this discussion of whether wrestlers can participate isn’t necessary.

Number 1, it isn’t a teacher thing specifically. All state workers are called upon. Two, a strike is where people refuse to work until there is change. February 26th is a school day and everyone will be present. So, why don’t YOU explain to ME why on earth one would actually think that’s a strike? It’s a demonstration, warning shot, whatever ya wanna call it. But with work Monday, OBVIOUSLY not a strike.
Tench

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:53 am

mscoach20 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Ok STench, I can call it a demonstration, although nobody else on here or in the media has used that word.

Tiger44001

Postby Tiger44001 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:10 pm

And in this day and age, do not be suprised, when a student/athlete goes down to Huntington to participate in this event against what their Superintendent or School Board said not to do, and gets hurt or injured, who will be getting sued over this! Unfortunately, this is is the day and age we live in. And you can bet, it is not only going to be the districts that get sued over an injury, but THE TOURNAMENT IT SELF who will be baring the responsibility of the injury! And after last year's fiasco of STATES 1.0 and STATES 2.0, I didn't think it could get any worse, but apparently I am wrong.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:34 pm

1. It is not a strike. It is a walkout. Teachers will not show up for work on Thursday and Friday, but will return to work on Monday. In a strike teachers do not return to work until the labor dispute is resolved.

2. I was told by a person who was at the meeting that the state wrestling tournament and basketball sectionals were discussed, and it was agreed that teachers who coach will not be expected to not coach because of the walkout. Any superintendent who uses this as an excuse to stop athletics is doing it just to be cruel and unreasonable.

3. Yes, wrestlers have a "right" to compete at states. Everything they have done for 2.5 months has been about going to states and they have been led to believe that they will be able to attend if they qualify. Unless they have done something to disqualify themselves, they have a right to attend.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:54 pm

mscoach20 wrote:
guard0544 wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:

Number 1, it isn’t a teacher thing specifically. All state workers are called upon. Two, a strike is where people refuse to work until there is change. February 26th is a school day and everyone will be present. So, why don’t YOU explain to ME why on earth one would actually think that’s a strike? It’s a demonstration, warning shot, whatever ya wanna call it. But with work Monday, OBVIOUSLY not a strike.

I could not care less what it is called or classified as. I’m not sure why you are so passionate and worked up about someone on the thread using a word for it you find to be technically incorrect. It’s been reported school will be closed and that it’s in doubt whether all wrestlers will be able to go compete at the state tournament. Unless you are saying schools will be open...I’m not sure what the difference is from the wrestlers perspective.

cspranger

Postby cspranger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 pm

If so much as one school or one student is denied the privilege of attending the state tournament this week because of the teacher walk out, the entire state tournament should be postponed until all can get there. If we can hold a small second state tournament to accommodate those with a skin condition, then we can most certainly reschedule for this reason. In the mean time, let’s fight to get the kids there this week using every method being discussed in this forum. And let’s support our teachers and coaches.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:18 pm

I've just changed my hotel reservations for states to July 12th and 13th.

This will avoid the teacher's (strike, demonstration, walk out or work stoppage).

Most families will have to cancel their summer vacations.

This message is only for a chuckle. If you can't laugh at yourself......well.....

P.S. I support the teachers 100%! I'm praying this gets resolved very soon.
Moderator WV Mat

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Gator wrote:I've just changed my hotel reservations for states to July 12th and 13th.

This will avoid the teacher's (strike, demonstration, walk out or work stoppage).

This message is only for a chuckle. If you can't laugh at yourself......well.....

The simple solution is for all counties to come out and say they will allow their kids to go to the tournaments.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:41 pm

guard0544 wrote:
Gator wrote:I've just changed my hotel reservations for states to July 12th and 13th.

The simple solution is for all counties to come out and say they will allow their kids to go to the tournaments.

They may be taking the "Wait and see" approach to this. I'm hoping the Governor and Delegates in Charleston can resolve the issues and get it corrected before Thursday.
Moderator WV Mat

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Gator wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

They may be taking the "Wait and see" approach to this. I'm hoping the Governor and Delegates in Charleston can resolve the issues and get it corrected before Thursday.

Yes. Obviously that too would resolve the issue.

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:01 pm

I’m surprised that so many are ok with our state having hundreds of vacancies. The teachers are fighting for these kids. I appreciate they see that until the system is fixed, you can expect the best to leave for a chance to make some money. It’s sad so many are worried about little things that aren’t even guaranteed. It appears the only guarantee is that our state can’t compete and fill jobs that are vital for our children. I believe we will wrestle with no issue Thursday, and the only thing accomplished here is teachers continue to be victimized for trying to repair a damaged situation.

“Watch out for the ringworm!”
Einstein

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:24 pm

ringworm14 wrote:I’m surprised that so many are ok with our state having hundreds of vacancies. The teachers are fighting for these kids. I appreciate they see that until the system is fixed, you can expect the best to leave for a chance to make some money. It’s sad so many are worried about little things that aren’t even guaranteed. It appears the only guarantee is that our state can’t compete and fill jobs that are vital for our children. I believe we will wrestle with no issue Thursday, and the only thing accomplished here is teachers continue to be victimized for trying to repair a damaged situation.

Einstein

Where are these much talked about vacancies? I checked the WV BOE website that list vacancies for each county and only found a handful of counties that have any teacher vacancies posted. Are they posted somewhere else? Or where is the number from? Thanks

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:48 pm

WVDE has 153 various jobs listed and many counties don’t post there.

Aristotle

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:30 pm

guard0544 wrote:Where are these much talked about vacancies? I checked the WV BOE website that list vacancies for each county and only found a handful of counties that have any teacher vacancies posted. Are they posted somewhere else? Or where is the number from? Thanks

A lot of them are filled by longterm substitutes right now. Many others are filled by people who have teaching degrees in other areas (such as a teacher with a math degree teaching science) just to get the position filled this year. All of these types of positions will have to be reposted next year, but are technically filled right now. Any job that is filled by a longterm sub or an "out of content" teacher is considered an unfilled teaching position because it will have to be reposted for the following school year.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm

deniserichmond wrote:Article this morning
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/pr ... 089e3.html

Then they should pick a different date.

CoachontheHill

Postby CoachontheHill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 pm

So the Putnam Co board is coming to watch wrestling? They can arrest a wrestler or suspend a child because they wrestled? Show up and wrestle. This a political issue, let the teachers strike. Let the kids wrestle. These issues fall on the BOE, vote them out

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:29 pm

mike.carman wrote:
deniserichmond wrote:Article this morning
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/pr ... 089e3.html

Then they should pick a different date.
for the tourney?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:39 pm

coach_williams wrote:1. It is not a strike. It is a walkout. Teachers will not show up for work on Thursday and Friday, but will return to work on Monday. In a strike teachers do not return to work until the labor dispute is resolved.

2. I was told by a person who was at the meeting that the state wrestling tournament and basketball sectionals were discussed, and it was agreed that teachers who coach will not be expected to not coach because of the walkout. Any superintendent who uses this as an excuse to stop athletics is doing it just to be cruel and unreasonable.

3. Yes, wrestlers have a "right" to compete at states. Everything they have done for 2.5 months has been about going to states and they have been led to believe that they will be able to attend if they qualify. Unless they have done something to disqualify themselves, they have a right to attend.

Yesterday, it was being called a strike. This morning, I learned it was a demonstration. Now it is called a walkout. If the plan is to walk out Thursday and Friday only to return on Monday, I suggest walking out on Monday. Then return on Wednesday. This way all of the state workers do not screw up the wrestlers' state tournament.

As for basketball, it is easy to make up a game and move on. Making up a state wrestling tournament is not so easy.

99% of the teachers in all schools probably couldn't name more than 1-2 wrestlers on their own school's team.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:42 pm

ringworm14 wrote:WVDE has 153 various jobs listed and many counties don’t post there.

Aristotle

Half of these jobs are probably not filled because the applicants cannot pass the required requirements (education, qualifications, drug test, background check, etc).

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:46 pm

guard0544 wrote:

It is a shame that 14 to 18 year old kids are probably wondering and/or worrying about if they get to compete in the state wrestling tournament. Some counties have gone on record saying their wrestlers can go. Why are other counties not commenting or stating that their wrestlers cannot?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:48 pm

CoachontheHill wrote:So the Putnam Co board is coming to watch wrestling? They can arrest a wrestler or suspend a child because they wrestled? Show up and wrestle. This a political issue, let the teachers strike. Let the kids wrestle. These issues fall on the BOE, vote them out

This would be the first time any of the board members attended a match.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 pm

coach_williams wrote:
guard0544 wrote:Where are these much talked about vacancies? I checked the WV BOE website that list vacancies for each county and only found a handful of counties that have any teacher vacancies posted. Are they posted somewhere else? Or where is the number from? Thanks

A lot of them are filled by longterm substitutes right now. Many others are filled by people who have teaching degrees in other areas (such as a teacher with a math degree teaching science) just to get the position filled this year. All of these types of positions will have to be reposted next year, but are technically filled right now. Any job that is filled by a longterm sub or an "out of content" teacher is considered an unfilled teaching position because it will have to be reposted for the following school year.

The math teacher that is teaching science has a job don't they? Does the math teacher lose pay when they teach science?

On a side note, I do support the teachers in Braxton County that "walk out" or go "on demonstration" (NOT a strike) to also get the fund raising rules changed. We need to see Braxton County down at the WSAZ next season.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 am

Soooooo... catastrophe and “ irreparable damage averted???

Return to “High School Wrestling”