Coach of the year

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
vortexfan

Coach of the year

Postby vortexfan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:01 am

What is the criteria for coach of the year?
Is it simply the coach of state championship team? I think this should be looked at, as to some of the coaches that make the best out of the little number of wrestlers or students they have. Possibly coaches that go above and beyond without little support from their school Administration to see they have a wrestling program, this may help in the long run to improve WV wrestling in the future.

Gator

Re: Coach of the year

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:55 am

vortexfan wrote:What is the criteria for coach of the year?
Is it simply the coach of state championship team? I think this should be looked at, as to some of the coaches that make the best out of the little number of wrestlers or students they have. Possibly coaches that go above and beyond without little support from their school Administration to see they have a wrestling program, this may help in the long run to improve WV wrestling in the future.

A few years ago a 3rd and 5th place AAA coach tied for the award. It is voted on by the coaches.
Moderator WV Mat

aaacoach28

Postby aaacoach28 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:14 pm

The coach that wins coach of the year should ALWAYS be the team that won the State Tournament. It has become a popularity contest or voting against the winner. Not voting for the winner is like giving the MOW to a wrestler that lost a match in the tournament. I am sure there are alot of different thoughts on this but finishing anything but first means you didn't do enough to be the best! Kinda like giving trophies for participating!! Earn it or work harder to be the best!!

Cementmixer

Postby Cementmixer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:18 pm

aaacoach28 wrote:The coach that wins coach of the year should ALWAYS be the team that won the State Tournament. It has become a popularity contest or voting against the winner. Not voting for the winner is like giving the MOW to a wrestler that lost a match in the tournament. I am sure there are alot of different thoughts on this but finishing anything but first means you didn't do enough to be the best! Kinda like giving trophies for participating!! Earn it or work harder to be the best!!

That's bogus. For example. What about a coach that takes over a young program that's not real successful and turns them into a top 10 team in one season. Don't u think he out coached a guy who takes over a Cadillac of a wrestling team and wins the title due to the previous coaches hard work ? The state champion coach shouldn't always be the coach of the year. What about the coach who took a bullet for his kids and died in Florida ( definitely coach of the year)

Cementmixer

Postby Cementmixer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:18 pm

aaacoach28 wrote:The coach that wins coach of the year should ALWAYS be the team that won the State Tournament. It has become a popularity contest or voting against the winner. Not voting for the winner is like giving the MOW to a wrestler that lost a match in the tournament. I am sure there are alot of different thoughts on this but finishing anything but first means you didn't do enough to be the best! Kinda like giving trophies for participating!! Earn it or work harder to be the best!!

So to say coach of the year should always be the title team ....i don't think so

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Totally agree, case in point. I was reading the Coalfield conference results a couple of weeks ago and saw that the second place team lost by over a hundred points, but the second place coach got the award. Seriously, I thought it was a misprint, sounds like sour grapes to me.

Cementmixer

Postby Cementmixer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Most HS STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS are due to good feeder programs.

Cementmixer

Postby Cementmixer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Most HS STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS are due to good feeder programs.

aaacoach28

Postby aaacoach28 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:31 pm

The football coach that died saving lives isn't coach of the year,he should be awarded the Congressional Metal of Honor!! Very dumb statement on coach of the year. He was a HERO!!!Now back to the point,if a coach had great success bringing up a team that inproved tremendously still don't qualify him or her coach of the year. If you don't finish first your last,!! A weak schedule can make any coach look good until you get to the big dance.Win the title then your my vote for coach of the year.

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 pm

WrestlingFan1 wrote:

Totally agree, case in point. I was reading the Coalfield conference results a couple of weeks ago and saw that the second place team lost by over a hundred points, but the second place coach got the award. Seriously, I thought it was a misprint, sounds like sour grapes to me.

That’s ignorant. My dog could assume the title of head coach for Parkersburg south and they would still win the AAA state title in a landslide. Just because he coached the team doesn’t mean he deserves the coach of the year award. There are quite a few elements that go into the coach of the year award. A state title is not the only thing.

“Watch out for the ringworm!”
-Ted Williams

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 pm

ringworm14 wrote:
WrestlingFan1 wrote:

That’s ignorant. My dog could assume the title of head coach for Parkersburg south and they would still win the AAA state title in a landslide. Just because he coached the team doesn’t mean he deserves the coach of the year award. There are quite a few elements that go into the coach of the year award. A state title is not the only thing.

“Watch out for the ringworm!”
-Ted Williams

Whats ignorant is thinking that these teams like South and Indy pretty coach themselves. Newsflash, the reason that they are so good is because of the coaching staffs, and the work they put in. So genius while you and your dog might win one at South, I bet you would win anymore than that. Don't penalize people for being successful, at the end of the day thats what its all about.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:59 pm

I have two dogs. They don’t seem to know much about wrestling though.

aaacoach28

Postby aaacoach28 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:25 pm

FYI. ---. I'm NOT the Head Coach of any program. You have no idea about coaching I can see that. To think a team like South or Indy can win titles without a good coach is not an intelligent quote. It takes hard work to get kids talented enough to win more than they lose. Give credit where credit is due!! If your not first your last!!

Cementmixer

Postby Cementmixer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:29 pm

aaacoach28 wrote:FYI. ---. I'm NOT the Head Coach of any program. You have no idea about coaching I can see that. To think a team like South or Indy can win titles without a good coach is not an intelligent quote. It takes hard work to get kids talented enough to win more than they lose. Give credit where credit is due!! If your not first your last!!

Indy and south has had a couple coaching changes in the last few years. Guess what. Still winning. Feeder programs are huge. Maybe coach of the year oughta be MS or club coaches in that regard. Not nice to call someone's opinions stupid. It may come back to bite ya.

cspranger

Postby cspranger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:10 pm

I have to agree that the dog could take over South’s program today and at least win a couple of titles. Lol

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Cementmixer wrote:
aaacoach28 wrote:FYI. ---. I'm NOT the Head Coach of any program. You have no idea about coaching I can see that. To think a team like South or Indy can win titles without a good coach is not an intelligent quote. It takes hard work to get kids talented enough to win more than they lose. Give credit where credit is due!! If your not first your last!!

Indy and south has had a couple coaching changes in the last few years. Guess what. Still winning. Feeder programs are huge. Maybe coach of the year oughta be MS or club coaches in that regard. Not nice to call someone's opinions stupid. It may come back to bite ya.

South does have a large feeder program, but I don't think that's the case with Indy,only one middle school and I think it's pretty small.

keepitinthecircle

Postby keepitinthecircle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

WrestlingFan1 wrote:
Cementmixer wrote:

South does have a large feeder program, but I don't think that's the case with Indy,only one middle school and I think it's pretty small.

I hear Indy has one too it just stretches across county lines. :o

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:43 pm

South has two feeder middle schools(Edison and Blennerhasset). Both are well coached. They have youth programs in Junior Patriots, South Parkersburg, Mineral Wells and Lubeck. I may have missed one too. I’m assuming by the success that these programs are/have enjoyed they are also well coached. It takes a village to be successful, not one coach or person.

I know that Coach Smith will tell you that he cannot do it alone and he readily gives credit to many of the coaches of the youth programs and middle schools. They buy into the teaching of many who have been successful on the mat themselves or others who have labored in sweat and time to help.

Coach Smith’s first year at South he started as many as half his team with Freshmen and won a state title. He did not receive COY honors, but should have won it.

To think that it’s easy to coach and build winners just because it’s expected is insane. Winning teams and programs have inside problems to deal with also. It’s not limited to schools where you may see one athlete throw a temper tantrum.

You may see Parkersburg South walk in with as many as 9 assistant coaches, but most are men who volunteer their time for the love of the sport and kids. If you’ve never done it, you shouldn’t criticize anyone willing to give of themselves so unselfishly.
Moderator WV Mat

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Hope they don’t give out Asst coach of the year award with that philosophy, be more plaques for Souths 12-14 coaches than weight classes. Nothing to take away from South but There’s talent year in year out, check the feeder programs at WSAZ etc..just about any Coach can be successful there, Coach of the year should go where weaker talent made an improvement to be competitive. Maybe have the wrestlers write input to the other coaches as to what their respective teams experienced with their coach to make them better. There’s some amazing coaches out there and you have to have the talent to win

URalwayswrong

Postby URalwayswrong » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:53 pm

vortexfan wrote:

Hope they don’t give out Asst coach of the year award with that philosophy, be more plaques for Souths 12-14 coaches than weight classes. Nothing to take away from South but There’s talent year in year out, check the feeder programs at WSAZ etc..just about any Coach can be successful there, Coach of the year should go where weaker talent made an improvement to be competitive. Maybe have the wrestlers write input to the other coaches as to what their respective teams experienced with their coach to make them better. There’s some amazing coaches out there and you have to have the talent to win

"Coach of the year should go where weaker talent made an improvement to be competitive." Yes, South has decent feeder programs, but they take kids who are very competitive in West Virginia and make them competitive nationally. I think you need to broaden your horizons a little bit. Sounds as if you are still salty from not getting that participation trophy back in your day.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Folks as Gator said the coaches vote on coach of the year. I don't know of any specific criteria. Most coaches will be candid in doing this. I know there are some instances where one personality will not vote for another, but with the group a good choice is usually made.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 pm

And actually any coach of the year should be quite vocal about his assistant coaches.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:28 pm

URalwayswrong wrote:
vortexfan wrote:

"Coach of the year should go where weaker talent made an improvement to be competitive." Yes, South has decent feeder programs, but they take kids who are very competitive in West Virginia and make them competitive nationally. I think you need to broaden your horizons a little bit. Sounds as if you are still salty from not getting that participation trophy back in your day.

You must be one of those asst coaches.

URalwayswrong

Postby URalwayswrong » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 pm

vortexfan wrote:
URalwayswrong wrote:
vortexfan wrote:

And you must be the "dog" everyone keeps mentioning.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 am

URalwayswrong wrote:
vortexfan wrote:
URalwayswrong wrote:

And you must be the "dog" everyone keeps mentioning.

Enjoy your glory, hope u can give Amos and Humphries some guidance and strategy. Meanwhile the other Triple A coaches (a couple per team I might add) may be attending
if their administration allows them

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:13 am

Cementmixer wrote:

I'm just trying to help you not look stupid. I think aaacoach28 said something said was "not an intelligent quote"(whatever that means). You're the only one calling your opinion stupid. By the way, was that the other fellas dog who was going to try coaching that is going to do the biting?

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 am

I don't know if the original post was brought up just to create some nasty discussion or with the hope that some negative comments would be expressed. There are no specific criteria as to what constitutes coach of the year (and I presume that the original poster knew that based upon all their other knowledge). It is voted on by coaches and it is dependent on the thought process of the coaches as to who they vote for. All the opinions that have been expressed on here are essentially meaningless with respects to the voting and are just that, opinions. And opinions are like other things we all possess, we all have them.

The sad thing is that in trying to make a point, some people kind of go to an extreme and make rather disrespectful comments, hopefully without thinking. If wrestlers were not "coached" during their high school years they would not likely improve and there is a big difference that wrestlers have to learn between what works up through middle school, but will not anymore. Coaching is also an art, not purely a science and a good portion has to do with managing personalities, both of the wrestlers and the assistant coaches (and often dealing with parents). Mismanaged, a program can go down the tubes real quick if the right environment is not maintained. That said, I'm not stating any opinion as to who deserves COY. In some ways it should not just obviously go to the coach of the team that wins in all cases. If that's the way it works then why have the award or ask anyone to vote on it as it has already been determined. Finally, of course it is obvious that the better a wrestler is prepared before they get to high school the better it is for the high school coach and program. However, not to give those coaches any credit would be as bad as saying that it is obvious that a coach of a "lesser" school who has good wrestlers was just lucky that they had exceptional athletes who excelled despite the lack of coaching that they were exposed to.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 am

I don't agree that the award should always go to the coach of the team that won the state title. Many sports give out COY awards, and they are not always given to the team that won the Superbowl or Championship......it is given to the coach that did the most outstanding job. That is a subjective thing. Some believe it may be given to the coach of a team that is traditionally sub par, but due to coaching has come up and started to earn respect. Some believe it should go to the coach of a team that won the championship. Who's right and who's wrong is subjective, which is why they have a vote. There are a ton of coaches out there that are doing great things within their programs.

With that said, I say that South has a program that is built on the tradition of winning. That tradition doesn't just HAPPEN, it is built and maintained. I don't coach for South, as a matter of fact I coach somewhere that has been whipped by South, more than once...... I will give credit where it is due though. They have always been a classy team, they have a brutal schedule, those kids are always prepared to compete, and they travel with fans like nobody's business. That is due to leadership and coaching, and in interacting with their coaches and seeing how they work, I have no issue if the COY award goes there.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 am

Although its not a popular view when it comes time to vote I have always thought the "Coach of the Year" is the coach who does the most with the least by developing the talent on hand. So that coach might be from anywhere on the list of team scoring at the state meet. If said coach had lets say 8 wrestlers on his team but they all did well and his team placed much higher than usual he could very well in my book be the "Coach of the Year". Thats not to say the coach of the state championship team couldn't be the "Coach of the Year" if he had to overcome injuries or other difficulties in getting his team to the top.

Return to “High School Wrestling”