State superintendent meeting with county superintendents

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
BobbyBoatly37

State superintendent meeting with county superintendents

Postby BobbyBoatly37 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:25 pm

So the state superintendent is meeting with all 55 county superintendents today...
Im sure the state wrestling tournament and sectional basketball games will be something that is discussed.
When it comes down to it, I personally think that everyone will be able to compete this weekend.
If there is some sort of county policy im not sure that there is anything that could be done.. but...
If the decision is solely up to the county superintendent, i honestly dont think there are any men / women in that room that would have big enough balls to say no to their county athletes competing at the state tournament.
I know most have come out and said their athletes are good for the weekend but have heard putnam and a few others originally said no.. like i said though, at the end of the day i dont see that happening..
Will be interesting to see how this situation turns out. If any athletes are kept out it will be a shame.

TheBoxer

Re: State superintendent meeting with county superintendents

Postby TheBoxer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Looks like we can all breathe easy.
http://wvmetronews.com/2018/02/19/dolan ... -schedule/

The wrestling tournament this week will take place at the Huntington Civic Center, with the girls and boys basketball tournaments coming in March 7-10 and March 14-17.

Dolan said Monday that no school or county had contacted the SSAC about their athletes not being allowed to participate in this week’s wrestling tournament.

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Boxer, you da man! (Or woman, if the case may be. :) )

aacoach75

Postby aacoach75 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:19 pm

:D

aacoach124

Postby aacoach124 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:21 pm

As Michael Buffer would say, “LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!

JustAFan2015

Postby JustAFan2015 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 pm

Email from Kanawha Co superintendent states that there will be no school Thursday or Friday and they will treated as snow days. Goes on to say all activities are cancelled. I would assume this means wrestling and basketball

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:45 am

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/pr ... 6275b.html

Kanawha County post is inaccurate and addressed in this article.
Tench

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:16 am

JustAFan2015 wrote:Email from Kanawha Co superintendent states that there will be no school Thursday or Friday and they will treated as snow days. Goes on to say all activities are cancelled. I would assume this means wrestling and basketball

I have been told this is true for regular season events and that the wrestlers will be permitted to compete in the state tournament the by Paula Potter with Kanawha County Schools. There are supposed to be announcements today

pin2win

Postby pin2win » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Kanawha County Schools confirmed schools will be closed Thursday and Friday and that all activities will be canceled because of the statewide two-day teacher walkout. http://bit.ly/2oltiv9 Sponsored by Edwards Comp Cancer Ctr

***This is what I got today via text.

aacoach124

Postby aacoach124 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:31 pm

The last paragraph of that article states that the girls sectional tournament and the state wrestling tournament will go on as planned.

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Everything the teachers have posted have been proven accurate. Use the information the teachers are giving. So far, we are 100%. We were told everyone was going to states, and that has been proven true. Stop with speculation, use the information. We all got riled up for no reason whatsoever. If we just trust those in the know to provide accurate data, we don't have to waste time on five threads about the same thing. Special thanks to all those on the forum that also were presenting facts throughout the last week. Keep an eye on today's votes as well.
Tench

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:56 pm

mscoach20 wrote:Everything the teachers have posted have been proven accurate. Use the information the teachers are giving. So far, we are 100%. We were told everyone was going to states, and that has been proven true. Stop with speculation, use the information. We all got riled up for no reason whatsoever. If we just trust those in the know to provide accurate data, we don't have to waste time on five threads about the same thing. Special thanks to all those on the forum that also were presenting facts throughout the last week. Keep an eye on today's votes as well.

Ironic you are critical of people speculating, because whoever told you "everyone was going to states" was speculating. Many counties did not know what they were doing until after the meeting on Monday. And prior to that some counties had even told parents if school was closed they would not be going. :lol: :lol:

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:58 pm

guard0544 wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:Everything the teachers have posted have been proven accurate. Use the information the teachers are giving. So far, we are 100%. We were told everyone was going to states, and that has been proven true. Stop with speculation, use the information. We all got riled up for no reason whatsoever. If we just trust those in the know to provide accurate data, we don't have to waste time on five threads about the same thing. Special thanks to all those on the forum that also were presenting facts throughout the last week. Keep an eye on today's votes as well.

Ironic you are critical of people speculating, because whoever told you "everyone was going to states" was speculating. Many counties did not know what they were doing until after the meeting on Monday. And prior to that some counties had even told parents if school was closed they would not be going. :lol: :lol:

Rhodes, no one was speculating. We were told all of this. That's why I tried to tell you. You guys were speculating based on partial information. It's all good though!
Tench

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Told by who? And how would they know what each individual counties superintendent would do, seemingly before even they knew? Seems like they would have had to speculate what they would do. And for the record, I didnt speculate as to anything. I never said wrestlers would not be allowed to go. I assumed they likely would, but it wasnt certain.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:12 pm

guard0544 wrote:Told by who? And how would they know what each individual counties superintendent would do, seemingly before even they knew? Seems like they would have had to speculate what they would do. And for the record, I didnt speculate as to anything. I never said wrestlers would not be allowed to go. I assumed they likely would, but it wasnt certain.

Anyways, I guess it really doesnt matter at this point.

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:17 pm

pin2win wrote:Kanawha County Schools confirmed schools will be closed Thursday and Friday and that all activities will be canceled because of the statewide two-day teacher walkout. http://bit.ly/2oltiv9 Sponsored by Edwards Comp Cancer Ctr

***This is what I got today via text.

That is what I received in the robocall also, so instead of taking it as truth, I picked up the phone and called Paula Potter and spoke directly to her again. I also explained that the contradictory information is confusing. She stated they will be allowed because it is post season.

It would be nice if people would pick up the phone and call also so there is more than one account of this.

aacoach124

Postby aacoach124 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Look at this situation from another angle. Now teammates and fellow students can come to the tournament to root on their peers without missing class.

Return to “High School Wrestling”