Praying for the Coaches

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Praying for the Coaches

Postby Bearhugger » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 pm

A good coach should have a list of all their wrestlers. This list could be used to check off all wrestlers who achieve a "letter" for the wrestling team.

This same list could be used to check off each wrestler to insure they are informed and invited of the wrestling banquet.

I am sure all of the coaches already do this.

Just trying to help.

Good luck next season and God bless.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: Praying for the Coaches

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri May 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Hey, are you feeling ok? Am sensing a major paradigm shift on your part. Worriesome.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Fri May 25, 2018 7:05 pm

So as you make your passive posts again, do you know what the criteria of the team you are questioning has set for lettering, or are you again thinking that if it is what you think is right, that is all that matters? Because if your sublinal post is what I think it is, you are wrong again and running with half information.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri May 25, 2018 9:36 pm

J.W. wrote:So as you make your passive posts again, do you know what the criteria of the team you are questioning has set for lettering, or are you again thinking that if it is what you think is right, that is all that matters? Because if your sublinal post is what I think it is, you are wrong again and running with half information.

God help me if I am defending bearhugger (I joke lol), but I am pretty sure the WVSSAC outlines "letter" requirements, not the school. I did a quick Google search and didn't find it, but I am like 99% positive that I read the guidelines in the process of reading over some rules.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat May 26, 2018 9:02 am

J.W. wrote:So as you make your passive posts again, do you know what the criteria of the team you are questioning has set for lettering, or are you again thinking that if it is what you think is right, that is all that matters? Because if your sublinal post is what I think it is, you are wrong again and running with half information.

If you have the inside story on what happened at a high school in Hickory, NC...............then you are correct.

The situation was a wrestler wrestled all season. Missed a tournament because his coaches waited until the day before to tell him he could wrestle but he was 6 pounds overweight (another reason to maintain a list).

This same team didn't even invite the wrestler to the banquet. Anyway, I just figured if such childish and $h!%head behavior could exist among a coaching staff in Hickory................I surely would hate to see it happen in WV.

On another note, good luck to Brock when he goes off on his own to Clarion. I will be rooting for him.

God bless.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat May 26, 2018 9:04 am

coach_williams wrote:

God help me if I am defending bearhugger (I joke lol), but I am pretty sure the WVSSAC outlines "letter" requirements, not the school. I did a quick Google search and didn't find it, but I am like 99% positive that I read the guidelines in the process of reading over some rules.

It would be interesting to learn what the WVSSAC's letter guidelines are. Are the guidelines filled with holes? Are the guidelines followed and enforced one way one season to only be followed differently the next season?

God bless the WVSSAC.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat May 26, 2018 9:08 am

I do believe using lists is right! Forgetting and overlooking personnel is not good. How do they handle this situation in the military?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 am

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Hey, are you feeling ok? Am sensing a major paradigm shift on your part. Worriesome.

After last season, we need all the help we can get.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Sat May 26, 2018 1:57 pm

coach_williams wrote:

Lettering is a school and coaches policy, some do by number of varsity wins, some have a points system based off of attendance, academics, placements, results, some give to all who participate an entire season.

I have seen a few creative that I like.

I actually saw a set of rules for determining varsity the other day from a team that had 6 criteria, and wrestle offs were last of the 6. It was really well written, definitely puts discipline and conduct at the forefront.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat May 26, 2018 9:13 pm

J.W. wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

Lettering is a school and coaches policy, some do by number of varsity wins, some have a points system based off of attendance, academics, placements, results, some give to all who participate an entire season.

I have seen a few creative that I like.

I actually saw a set of rules for determining varsity the other day from a team that had 6 criteria, and wrestle offs were last of the 6. It was really well written, definitely puts discipline and conduct at the forefront.

Get a copy of that set of rules and share it!!!!!!!!!!

aacoach32

Postby aacoach32 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:14 am

Individual coaches set the standard for lettering. If it makes you feel any better, all six of my wrestlers earned their varsity letter. I told them about the sports banquet ahead of time. Only two of them came to it. Earning a letter just doesn't seem to be a big thing anymore. I remember when I played sports in high school, you were a top dog if you earned a varsity letter, especially if you were an underclassman. Earning three varsity letters as a sophomore was a highlight for me.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 am

I am blessed to attend South’s banquets and enjoy getting to witness the accolades bestowed on the young men and women. I’m not privey to the requirements to letter at South, but all wrestlers and matmaids are invited to attend.

Like aacoach32 mentioned, it is an honor to achieve a letter in any sport. It is probably true that it differs from school to school. One of the proudest moments in my opinion are the kids who make academic all state as recognized by WV Mat. That impresses me.
Moderator WV Mat

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Earned my letter my jr. year filling in for an injured varsity wrestler. That wrestler entered the states undefeated. We needed 12 team points to letter. 3 points per decision, 4 for major, 5 for tech fall, 6 for fall/forfeit/medical injury win. I earned 21 team points in 10 varsity matches. Was actually captain while he was hurt. The highlight of my high school wrestling career. Yes, it meant a whole lot to me to letter my jr. year as a reserve. I still have that letter 42 years later. Heck, I might be buried with it!!! I don't know if it means as much today.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:19 pm

dunbar76 wrote:Earned my letter my jr. year filling in for an injured varsity wrestler. That wrestler entered the states undefeated. We needed 12 team points to letter. 3 points per decision, 4 for major, 5 for tech fall, 6 for fall/forfeit/medical injury win. I earned 21 team points in 10 varsity matches. Was actually captain while he was hurt. The highlight of my high school wrestling career. Yes, it meant a whole lot to me to letter my jr. year as a reserve. I still have that letter 42 years later. Heck, I might be buried with it!!! I don't know if it means as much today.

Good story Kenny!
Moderator WV Mat

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 pm

LOL, I have no idea who Kenny is.

Return to “High School Wrestling”