West Virginia National Wrestling Team

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Beast

West Virginia National Wrestling Team

Postby Beast » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:36 pm

My name is Corey McComas. I have been coordinating duals teams for a few elementary & middle school events. I just concluded assembling the WVYWA Elementary & Middle School teams that competed in the NHSCA National Duals in Virginia Beach on Memorial Day Weekend. I have done some other dual events on my own that were not sponsored by the WVYWA as well.

I am forming the West Virginia National Wrestling Team in order to provide dual opportunities for WV wrestlers. I plan to focus more on the HS & MS competitions. I will periodically have some youth teams like I have done in the past, but that will not be my focus. I believe that the youth wrestling community is well served with national dual wrestling opportunities. The main one being the NUWAY program that is being spearheaded by Brian Humphries & the NUWAY team. I look for that to continue to grow & be very successful. My vision is that once these kids transition out of NUWAY, they move on this program that is being created for older kids.

The goal of this program is to produce elite teams that will compete at the NHSCA National Duals. A team will be entered in each division that will be formed with the best wrestlers from this state. Now, I can enter multiple teams if there is interest. My dream/vision to put our state champions from each weight on a team. A team of 14 state champs will be hard to beat. There will be some debate as to who should be on the teams at certain spots, but I look at that as a blessing. These spots should be hard to get & will produce a better team as a result, with very good alternates if they should be needed. There will be other opportunities to compete other than this one event. These will of course be in the off season & not conflict with the MS & HS seasons. The first is the Battle in the 'Burgh in Pittsburgh on Aug. 4th (weights are 111, 118, 125, 131, 137, 143, 150, 157, 165, 175, 187, 200, 225, & 290 with a +1 singlet weight allowance). I would also like to form teams that compete in some freestyle & Greco duals as well, such as the schoolboy national duals next summer.

I have been working on trying to get the best talent on these teams since I started putting these teams together. I know last year that there was two teams at the National Duals, one primarily from the Parkersburg area & one with Next Level team members, primarily out of the north central area of the state. Both teams had tremendous talent & great kids on them, but has anyone thought about putting together a HS for this event with the best kids in each weight class? I think we can really do well. The best of the best from all divisions, AAA, AA, & A, wrestling for one state team? This is a step towards getting this idea moving forward. It takes all the best wrestlers to buy in.

I would be trilled to see us come together & put our best out there for everyone in the country to see & kick some tail on the national level. The MS team that went to Va Beach was comprised of 8 state champs & 4 other state placewinners. They forfeited 4 weights and still won 3 out of 6 duals and was 10 team points (lost 42-32) in a dual from making it to Monday & competing for a national championship. Imagine if that team had the other 8 spots filled with state champs...how good could they have been? This should be an indicator what is possible with the elite from this state.

If you are interested in participating in this program, contact me at 304-951-8650. Texting is preferred. Not only wrestlers are needed, but coaches, volunteers, sponsors, etc. Understand that just because wrestlers contact me, that they may not be selected for the team. My goal is to pick the very best available kid in order to produce the most competitive team possible. On recent teams, I have placed my son on the B team or had him listed as an alternate because he was not the best option at his weight. If I am willing to do that to my own kid, I am willing to do that to anybody. If you can't handle that concept, this type of thing might not be for you.

I look forward to seeing how this thing evolves during the first year. I hope it becomes something that the WV wrestling community can take pride in & respect.

GRECO

Re: West Virginia National Wrestling Team

Postby GRECO » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Corey..
I think what you are trying to do is GREAT!!!
WV needs to start spending more time competing in Greco & Free during the off seasons!

I hope the people who controls WV wrestling will help and let you do just that but ..... sigh

I wish you much success Sir!

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Beast wrote:My name is Corey McComas. I have been coordinating duals teams for a few elementary & middle school events. I just concluded assembling the WVYWA Elementary & Middle School teams that competed in the NHSCA National Duals in Virginia Beach on Memorial Day Weekend. I have done some other dual events on my own that were not sponsored by the WVYWA as well.

I am forming the West Virginia National Wrestling Team in order to provide dual opportunities for WV wrestlers. I plan to focus more on the HS & MS competitions. I will periodically have some youth teams like I have done in the past, but that will not be my focus. I believe that the youth wrestling community is well served with national dual wrestling opportunities. The main one being the NUWAY program that is being spearheaded by Brian Humphries & the NUWAY team. I look for that to continue to grow & be very successful. My vision is that once these kids transition out of NUWAY, they move on this program that is being created for older kids.

The goal of this program is to produce elite teams that will compete at the NHSCA National Duals. A team will be entered in each division that will be formed with the best wrestlers from this state. Now, I can enter multiple teams if there is interest. My dream/vision to put our state champions from each weight on a team. A team of 14 state champs will be hard to beat. There will be some debate as to who should be on the teams at certain spots, but I look at that as a blessing. These spots should be hard to get & will produce a better team as a result, with very good alternates if they should be needed. There will be other opportunities to compete other than this one event. These will of course be in the off season & not conflict with the MS & HS seasons. The first is the Battle in the 'Burgh in Pittsburgh on Aug. 4th (weights are 111, 118, 125, 131, 137, 143, 150, 157, 165, 175, 187, 200, 225, & 290 with a +1 singlet weight allowance). I would also like to form teams that compete in some freestyle & Greco duals as well, such as the schoolboy national duals next summer.

I have been working on trying to get the best talent on these teams since I started putting these teams together. I know last year that there was two teams at the National Duals, one primarily from the Parkersburg area & one with Next Level team members, primarily out of the north central area of the state. Both teams had tremendous talent & great kids on them, but has anyone thought about putting together a HS for this event with the best kids in each weight class? I think we can really do well. The best of the best from all divisions, AAA, AA, & A, wrestling for one state team? This is a step towards getting this idea moving forward. It takes all the best wrestlers to buy in.

I would be trilled to see us come together & put our best out there for everyone in the country to see & kick some tail on the national level. The MS team that went to Va Beach was comprised of 8 state champs & 4 other state placewinners. They forfeited 4 weights and still won 3 out of 6 duals and was 10 team points (lost 42-32) in a dual from making it to Monday & competing for a national championship. Imagine if that team had the other 8 spots filled with state champs...how good could they have been? This should be an indicator what is possible with the elite from this state.

If you are interested in participating in this program, contact me at 304-951-8650. Texting is preferred. Not only wrestlers are needed, but coaches, volunteers, sponsors, etc. Understand that just because wrestlers contact me, that they may not be selected for the team. My goal is to pick the very best available kid in order to produce the most competitive team possible. On recent teams, I have placed my son on the B team or had him listed as an alternate because he was not the best option at his weight. If I am willing to do that to my own kid, I am willing to do that to anybody. If you can't handle that concept, this type of thing might not be for you.

I look forward to seeing how this thing evolves during the first year. I hope it becomes something that the WV wrestling community can take pride in & respect.

No thanks

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:20 am

MaleMatMaid wrote:
Beast wrote:My name is Corey McComas. I have been coordinating duals teams for a few elementary & middle school events. I just concluded assembling the WVYWA Elementary & Middle School teams that competed in the NHSCA National Duals in Virginia Beach on Memorial Day Weekend. I have done some other dual events on my own that were not sponsored by the WVYWA as well.

No thanks

No thanks??? What a dick!

mscoach90

Postby mscoach90 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:27 am

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

KennyFPowers

Postby KennyFPowers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 am

“No thanks”? I just don’t get the d-bag attitudes that have found their way onto the board over the last year. On another thread, you have a coach who has proven success on the national and international level, having to defend his training tactics. He never said it was the end all be all, but gave examples of why he believes in it.

I enjoy coming on here to keep up with WV kids successes in and out of season. Some need to check the egos and grow up though.

I suggest the mods get a handle on it or this board is going to die. People don’t want to post information anymore bc they know 9 times out of 10, they are just going to get a smart ass response.

TrueSouthFanInTampa

Postby TrueSouthFanInTampa » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:08 am

KennyFPowers wrote:“No thanks”? I just don’t get the d-bag attitudes that have found their way onto the board over the last year. On another thread, you have a coach who has proven success on the national and international level, having to defend his training tactics. He never said it was the end all be all, but gave examples of why he believes in it.

I enjoy coming on here to keep up with WV kids successes in and out of season. Some need to check the egos and grow up though.

I suggest the mods get a handle on it or this board is going to die. People don’t want to post information anymore bc they know 9 times out of 10, they are just going to get a smart ass response.

Well said. I agree 100%

GRECO

Postby GRECO » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks Kenny

I tried to give some helpful hints of how we are doing so well and what works. But in life, you will always have people that are not happy with themselves. They are jealous of other people’s accomplishments or just did not make that first string line up when they were in High school.
One thing I learned in life is that your thoughts and comments are a reflection of yourself.

When your negative about anything or anyone.. your showing the world that you indeed have an malfunction personality.

Love to see positive postings from my home state as I don’t get to come home as quite as much as I hope.

Everyone have a beautiful and safe summer!

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 pm

GRECO wrote:Thanks Kenny

I tried to give some helpful hints of how we are doing so well and what works. But in life, you will always have people that are not happy with themselves. They are jealous of other people’s accomplishments or just did not make that first string line up when they were in High school.
One thing I learned in life is that your thoughts and comments are a reflection of yourself.

When your negative about anything or anyone.. your showing the world that you indeed have an malfunction personality.

Love to see positive postings from my home state as I don’t get to come home as quite as much as I hope.

But this all probably won’t work since Beast doesn’t implement cross fit into his “regiment” (regimen).

GRECO

Postby GRECO » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:07 am

Thanks for all the negativism but I have to ask does it get tiresome to look in the mirror and think your a great wrestler that NEVER went anyone outside of WV?

Can you and many others be positive about everything without being sarcasm?

Wrestling is about helping one another, helping another team be the best they can be.
Your attitude is NOT what wrestling is all about.

This site was developed to help the sport grow in WV, to support each other but when your negative about everything. You make great wrestling fans frown on this site.
I see you may be a South Supporter, most of my closes friends are from South from over 30 years. Just like My alma mater school, WV is not that great of a wrestling powerhouse outside the state.
I would think of all people you would want some outside ideas to “ try” but instead you like to challenge and make sarcasm remarks.
That just tells me your still a little child that really needs to grow up and support wrestling by being POSITIVE!

Oh and if my spelling really bothers you .. wow you really got some major malfunctions. Least I speak 3 languages (with Japanese being my fav) as well as being legally deaf since birth.So yea my English is not all that great!

Let’s see how many Junior/ Senior National champions YOU coach in both Greco/ Free this year!

Then we will talk.. have a great week!

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:36 pm

GRECO. They aren’t worth it. Don’t even acknowledge that nonsense. That’s why this forum and the state are lacking. We have some major players and I wish the best for, but instead of working together and give good feedback and they to help WV wrestling we have people that are jealous of others and tries to tear everything apart. WV seems to hate change. So don’t let these keyboard warriors get too you

GRECO

Postby GRECO » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:17 pm

These clowns don’t bother me at all because they have not done anything worthwhile for this sport that we love. They cannot get under my skin, because they are just kids.
It is very refreshing to actually run into someone that knows what they are talking about. WV needs more people like yourself that really looks outside the box in thinking what needs to be done to improve the sport. But I am afraid it is not that easy what everyone thinks.

Have a great week!
Greg

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 am

MaleMatMaid wrote:
GRECO wrote:Thanks Kenny

But this all probably won’t work since Beast doesn’t implement cross fit into his “regiment” (regimen).

I haven't logged onto this forum in a while, but this is the first thing I see? "No thanks"? :lol: What a loser.
Also, "cross fit" is a garbage fitness cult that teaches poor form and mechanics. It works for people who are inexperienced, because their baseline is low and they have a lot of room to improve. You're a "cross fitter" and you can do 25 "kip ups"? Cool buddy, now strap a weighted belt to your waist and do some true strict form pull ups... lets see how strong you really are.

The lack of cross fit won't hinder the programs success, it will help it. Who knows, maybe his wrestler will be able to deadlift without a rounded back, or do a pull-up without swinging for momentum.

Maybe they'll actually develop superior muscular endurance, cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, and flexibility instead of getting injured for a fad workout.
sentenceseller

Beast

Postby Beast » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:21 am

I don't have any issues if someone doesn't want to participate. It is their option & if they choose not to be a part of it, so be it. I wouldn't want anyone to be a part of this program if they won't believe in it. There have a whole lot more people tell me no than yes. There is nothing keeping you on this team other than your loyalty to it. Ask anyone who has been a part of one of these dual teams.

I also don't believe you are a loser for not wanting to participate or help. We all have our opinions on how to do things. If mine don't agree with yours, then you aren't going to agree with me. You walk your path & I'll walk mine. But, I believe we do need to have some mutual respect for all of us involved in this community at all levels. Let's have constructive criticism & lets learn not to have such a thin skin about every little letter, word, sentence, & comment someone says about something or someone.

Let's not attack each other, but find ways to work better, hopefully together, to make WV wrestling better. I am just an outsider. I had very little success in MS or HS, don't coach for a school, don't have a lot of experience in the national or college level, & can't run a website. I am a fan sitting in the bleachers and then got involved with my son's team because they needed help. When a problem or issue comes up that needs some attention, I try to jump in & help.

We all don't have the political power that others have to make major changes or decisions, but you can try to help in any way. From cleaning the mats, to getting another kid to practice, to organizing a practice or camp, or donating money. If you love this sport, roll up your sleeves & help out, in any way. Words don't mean a lot in this sport, actions do.

Let's try to be more like what we want our wrestlers to be, hard-working, respectful, etc.

Chris_Way

Postby Chris_Way » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:52 am

][quote="GRECO"]
“Just like My alma mater school, WV is not that great of a wrestling powerhouse outside the state”

Ouch,
We will stay positive and keep working hard.

GRECO

Postby GRECO » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Chris
I was not in anyway putting down the school I came from or any school for the matter. I am just saying that we need to make our state even more better. Both South and PHS are well known here at Clovis, Bakersfield and more from up North of CA where the powerhouses are in the state. But we are weak compare to the powers of PA and Ohio.
I know WV will be a state to be reckon with but how long will it take? Just emphasizing we need to listen to others not stick to our hard headed beliefs.
I learned a whole lot more and it taught me to be a better coach and wrestler by opening up my mind to listen to others.
By the way.. Congratulations on being the Athletic Director.

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Well, Greg what makes you think we don’t listen to others ? By the way I didn’t happen to see you in Fargo this past summer or the one before coaching all of the Ca. AAs. Just so you know we had 6 AA there from our little town of less than 30 thousand compared to ? We also have had contact with the best college and high school coaches in the country.
David Jeffrey

GRECO

Postby GRECO » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Good for you David!
Guess you guys Are on the right track
I am there most years,The years I was there, I let the state coaches coach, club coaches did their part in preparing the kids and I just sit back and watch. Good for you and for WV for producing so many AA. Hopefully the state can produce more within a few years.

Beast

Postby Beast » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:14 am

Wanted to provide an update…

This weekend, WV will be sending a team to USA Wrestling Schoolboy Freestyle National Duals in Franklin, IN. As far as I know, this is the first time that WV has ever sent a dual team to an Olympic Style dual event. if I am wrong about that fact, please inform me. I want to give credit where credit is due.

This has been a long and complicated road. I want to thank all the parents and wrestlers for throwing themselves into this experiment. Win or lose…they will represent the state well and be setting the standard by which we do this every year.

Wanted to give a big thanks to Chris Way (Head Coach & Coordinator) and Mike Carmen (USA Wrestling State Director) for really embracing this idea and helped it move forward. Also wanted to thAnk all involved with WVYWA, especially the Board, for your help & support. I just got the ball rolling, you guys moved it over the finish line.

If you would like to watch, I believe the event is on Trackwrestling. Team name is West Virginia Gold.

Here is the team:

71 Open
77 Hunter Hughart
83 William Godby
87 Kayden McDonald
92 Dominic Way
97 Ben McComas
102 Maximus Fortier
106 Carter Price
110 Issac Sands
114 John Knight
119 Jesse Showalter
125 Carter Pauley
130 Cyler Marks
136 Ethan Kay
149 Copper Durst
165 Brycen Arthur
190 Brody Cottrell
250 Preston Kovach

Next year, we hope to at least take a Schoolboy Team and a Cadet Team. Would also like to explore a Junior team and maybe some Greco teams in the future…

If you are interested in those, reach out to me at 304-951-8650. Schoolboy will be 2009-2008 Birth years, Cadet would be 2007-2006 birth years, and Junior would be 2005-2004 birth years.

Corey McComas
Assistant Coach
2021 WV Schoolboy National Freestyle Dual Team

Campion

Postby Campion » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:04 pm

I think it’s great what you are doing! Much appreciated by many of us!!

newor1

Postby newor1 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:15 pm

Again, we would love to see a few WV teams at Waterway Duals in September. It is a great event to start the year. Please send me your email address and I can send you the information. jcanaday76@gmail.com

Return to “High School Wrestling”