Moving up?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Truesouthfaninhunt

Moving up?

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:54 pm

dunbar76

Re: Moving up?

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:10 pm

If school B is AA and it wants to compete in AAA in boys basketball it will be allowed. The other sports will remain AA. Previously, it was my understanding a school, to play up, it needed to compete up in AAA in all sports.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Not sure how this would be done in Wrestling???

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:35 pm

I could definitely see some AA teams moving up if they are content with competing for 2nd place. The problem would be balancing the numbers in a given region, that could become a headache for sure

WIfan

Postby WIfan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:54 am

Yes, what does this mean? I am going to play naive now...what are the Pros and Cons for a Wrestling Team to move up in classification? Better match-ups?

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:59 pm

dunbar76 wrote:If school B is AA and it wants to compete in AAA in boys basketball it will be allowed. The other sports will remain AA. Previously, it was my understanding a school, to play up, it needed to compete up in AAA in all sports.

I don't think basketball will be allowed to move up. It says individual sports, such as wrestling, tennis or golf. Maybe debate team... :D
Moderator WV Mat

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 pm

It does say individual sports but if you read the article it says that a school could chose to move up in one sport but not make all sports move up. The headline is a bit confusing. I could see some teams choosing to move from AA to AAA (Point, Indy, Fairmont Senior, Fairmont East, Bridgeport). AA and A is very crowded. My understanding would be that if Indy wanted to move up the whole team would have to wrestle up.

GRECO

Postby GRECO » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Make wrestling a ONE class sport! Better competition and better wrestlers!

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm

The article also says the regular season will not be effected. Just the post seasons. Soooo, sections/regions would need to possibly be realigned if this happens. But football would be effected regular season since a point system is in place to secure playoff spots.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 pm

It confuses me! (Doesn’t take much)

Though I’d like to see some of the individual match ups, I hope that Indy, Point and East stay AA. That is going to be an interesting race for the team title this year.
Moderator WV Mat

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm

armyscot0873 wrote:It does say individual sports but if you read the article it says that a school could chose to move up in one sport but not make all sports move up. The headline is a bit confusing. I could see some teams choosing to move from AA to AAA (Point, Indy, Fairmont Senior, Fairmont East, Bridgeport). AA and A is very crowded. My understanding would be that if Indy wanted to move up the whole team would have to wrestle up.

Umm why would Independence move up from a class that they’ve won the past 5 years? :roll: Plus they are the jaugernaut in a very very weak region. They always have a great chance to qualify every wrestler which goes a long way at the state tournament

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:35 pm

When I first read the article I thought the term “ individual sports” meant sports such as track, wrestling, swimming..etc.
However after reading Dunbar’s post I believe that the term “ individual” means that a school can move up in an individual ( singular), sport while remaining AA in all the others.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm

So would regions be fluid then. Each sport allowing for it's own regional alignment???

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 am

MaleMatMaid wrote:
armyscot0873 wrote:It does say individual sports but if you read the article it says that a school could chose to move up in one sport but not make all sports move up. The headline is a bit confusing. I could see some teams choosing to move from AA to AAA (Point, Indy, Fairmont Senior, Fairmont East, Bridgeport). AA and A is very crowded. My understanding would be that if Indy wanted to move up the whole team would have to wrestle up.

Umm why would Independence move up from a class that they’ve won the past 5 years? :roll: Plus they are the jaugernaut in a very very weak region. They always have a great chance to qualify every wrestler which goes a long way at the state tournament

I definitely don't think any schools should do this but the argument always comes up about if the AA champ could beat the AAA champ. Indy would still be in a weak region if they moved up to AAA.

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:07 am

armyscot0873 wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:

I definitely don't think any schools should do this but the argument always comes up about if the AA champ could beat the AAA champ. Indy would still be in a weak region if they moved up to AAA.

Lots of talk about Indy being in a weak region, but they would probably win any region, in any class, with the exception of the one that South is in, so I don't see the point in these comments.

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am

WrestlingFan1 wrote:
armyscot0873 wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:

Lots of talk about Indy being in a weak region, but they would probably win any region, in any class, with the exception of the one that South is in, so I don't see the point in these comments.

What would be nice is a tournament that pairs the A/AA state champ against the AAA champ.

hollywood

Postby hollywood » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:41 pm

WrestlingFan1 wrote:
WrestlingFan1 wrote:
armyscot0873 wrote:

What would be nice is a tournament that pairs the A/AA state champ against the AAA champ.

How about top 8 place at the state tournament in both divisions. Then top 8 from both AAA and AA/A are put into a 16 man All-Class state tournament. Use the different divisions sort of like a “Super Regional.” Oh, and make the tournament seeded.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 pm

WrestlingFan1 wrote:
WrestlingFan1 wrote:
armyscot0873 wrote:

Yeah, we could call it the state tournament and just do away with the classes.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 pm

This rule change is too late. I do not see any AA team moving up to AAA for competition purposes. However, I see many AAA teams wanting to move DOWN to Single A for competition purposes.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”