Byes at state tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
forthekids

Byes at state tournament

Postby forthekids » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:59 pm

I am putting this out there because I was asked to! Nothing more, Nothing less! There will be no "BYES" in the brackets at the state tournament. if a region has a bye, then they will TAKE all regions placer winners in that weight class and use a criteria to see who advances. This was decided upon by the coaches and approved by the SSAC. I do not have the entire criteria but I know it is.
1. Overall record.
2. Head to Head
3. I am assuming then it will go to..... he beat him, who beat him etc.

AGAIN, I do not know the full criteria. I do know it was announced that there would be no "byes" at state tournament at all rules clinic.

Of course if someone does not make weight, determined skin disease day of...…….. then there would be!

I know many people have told me it is not perfect. BUT, it is a start and I applauded the coaches committee for coming up with it and the SSAC approving it.
(disclaimer) officials have nothing in it. :)

Chris Diserio
CW0441

guard0544

Re: Byes at state tournament

Postby guard0544 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:38 pm

Certainly a good move. I’d like to have head to head as the first criteria, instead of overall record, to not put wrestlers with a tougher schedule at a disadvantage...but either way it’s a welcome positive move.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:43 pm

Who exactly is making the decision using the criteria and who is supplying them with the correct information regarding records and match results, etc.?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:15 pm

KDunbar wrote:Who exactly is making the decision using the criteria and who is supplying them with the correct information regarding records and match results, etc.?

It will be a no brainer who the best of the 3 fifth placers are.

I predict there will only be one weight class out of a possible 28 weight classes that could require more than 3 minutes to decide.

If the byes develop, it will more than likely be in AAA. We will all know who the best choice is before the regional tournament is wrestled.

West Virginia is a unique state that needs to implement unique solutions to its problems and quit justifying what to do or not to do based on what other states do.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Coachcookie

Postby Coachcookie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:24 pm

KDunbar

As for tracking results, does WVSSAC not use trackwrestling?

DWM

Postby DWM » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:01 am

KDunbar wrote:Who exactly is making the decision using the criteria and who is supplying them with the correct information regarding records and match results, etc.?

The same idiots that ran the state tournament last year aka the WVSSAC.
Last edited by DWM on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:26 pm

I know I'm setting up the WVSSAC for all sorts of cruel jokes, but if "they" are truly the ones who pick, who exactly is "they" composed of and who among "they" would have any insight as to who to pick?

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Again, try to put some simple information and once again WOW. The coaches committee select, SSAC just approved it. Go anyway you want with it. Put ultimately, the coaches decide.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 pm

I suggest we ride this out and consider it a major "fix" to a growing problem. Evaluating 3 wrestlers should not be difficult. If it is, they can have a round robin wrestle off Thursday morning at the state tournament.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks. You answered my legitimate question. Your original statement wasn't clear as to who will decide, only who made the suggestion to the SSAC. Just to make it all even clearer, who makes up the "coaches committee". That is a reasonable and non critical question isn't it? I don't really have any issues, just curious.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:28 am

KDunbar wrote:Thanks. You answered my legitimate question. Your original statement wasn't clear as to who will decide, only who made the suggestion to the SSAC. Just to make it all even clearer, who makes up the "coaches committee". That is a reasonable and non critical question isn't it? I don't really have any issues, just curious.

http://www.wvssac.org/sports-schedules/wrestling/
WRESTLING COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Mark Delligatti, Fairmont Sr.
Bill Whittington, Hedgesville HS
Sterling Beane, Grafton HS
Rob Archer, Huntington HS
Chad Sarrett, Woodrow Wilson
Jeremy Tincher, Greenbrier W.
Ken Maisel, University
Pat McGillan, Oak Glen
Jeff Givens, Williamstown

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:15 am

brentsams wrote:
KDunbar wrote:Thanks. You answered my legitimate question. Your original statement wasn't clear as to who will decide, only who made the suggestion to the SSAC. Just to make it all even clearer, who makes up the "coaches committee". That is a reasonable and non critical question isn't it? I don't really have any issues, just curious.

http://www.wvssac.org/sports-schedules/wrestling/
WRESTLING COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Mark Delligatti, Fairmont Sr.
Bill Whittington, Hedgesville HS
Sterling Beane, Grafton HS
Rob Archer, Huntington HS
Chad Sarrett, Woodrow Wilson
Jeremy Tincher, Greenbrier W.
Ken Maisel, University
Pat McGillan, Oak Glen
Jeff Givens, Williamstown

I'm betting that "they" can come with the correct wrestler to fill the spot. Thanks for the info.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:19 pm

My bet is it will be tied to the pill. Everybody keeps stating "the best 5th placer" which is now in line with seeding, and we dont seed at the state tournament, we draw for seeds. So guessing each weight class will have a region order tied to it for which region 5th gets in.

Just my guess.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:06 am

According to the author of this thread there is no need to "guess" how this is going to be done. Only thing not totally clear at this point is the "exact" criteria to be used by the committee of coaches listed above.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Sounds to me like we'd just use "seeding" criteria to decide the one who gets in- head-to-head, common opponent, etc. Generally, overall record is a little farther down the list for obvious reasons. In most cases, I think it would not be difficult to determine. After chosen, I would imaging it would then follow the pill so they would be put into the bracket at the location of the 4th place vacancy. But I'm only guessing.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:00 pm

Preliminary reports indicate that "they" might have to recruit all of the 5th placers in AAA to populate the entire bracket for the 220lb weight class.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 pm

aacoach70 wrote:Sounds to me like we'd just use "seeding" criteria to decide the one who gets in- head-to-head, common opponent, etc. Generally, overall record is a little farther down the list for obvious reasons. In most cases, I think it would not be difficult to determine. After chosen, I would imaging it would then follow the pill so they would be put into the bracket at the location of the 4th place vacancy. But I'm only guessing.

I find it odd that seeding criteria can be used to figure out which 5th placer gets in, but is opposed for the bracket itself for those who qualified. If you have a criteria that is fair, use it for all 16, just saying.

aaacoach90

Postby aaacoach90 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 pm

J.W. wrote:
aacoach70 wrote:Sounds to me like we'd just use "seeding" criteria to decide the one who gets in- head-to-head, common opponent, etc. Generally, overall record is a little farther down the list for obvious reasons. In most cases, I think it would not be difficult to determine. After chosen, I would imaging it would then follow the pill so they would be put into the bracket at the location of the 4th place vacancy. But I'm only guessing.

I find it odd that seeding criteria can be used to figure out which 5th placer gets in, but is opposed for the bracket itself for those who qualified. If you have a criteria that is fair, use it for all 16, just saying.

Agree 100%

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 am

Well, they would earn their way into the bracket just like the other actual qualifiers this way. To draw a 5th place kid in randomly seems strange to me. The pill just determines bracket position once they qualify- we have never drawn them into the state tournament bracket by pill. I have no idea how 5th place fill-ins will be chosen, but a draw-in would make the least sense, in my opinion, except where no criteria exists.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:58 pm

When the regions were realigned two seasons ago, the concerns for state tournament byes aka Thursday Night Vacancies (TNV) became a talking point. The potential was there but no solution was provided.

The 2017 season might have produced one TNV. I recall an intercepted memo stating something about there were no byes at the state tournament. They were forfeits. Bye, forfeit..........its still a TNV to some of us. The potential threat became more imminent. Still, no solution was provided.

Finally, the 2018 season gave us some many TNVs that the word on the street was that the theme from Rocky was going to be replaced with "Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie".

Now, a solution has been provided. Let's let the solution solve (the best it can) the problem.

If a regional fifth place winner is needed for a TNV, let's not fool ourselves that this is a tough choice between three top ten ranked wrestlers, coming out of three brutally competitive regions, that are vying for the winning lottery spot to enter into the state tournament.

Here are some facts to illustrate where we are:

1. Practice begins today. AAA 220 is the number one weight class under suspicion for a TNV in 2019. Although some 220s might appear on some rosters, the word on the street is Parkersburg South is the only school with a named 220. The other 28 AAA schools are either keeping their 220 top secret or he(she) plans to enter the region under a mask.

2. Here is a summary of the 2018 AAA regional 5th place winners at 220:
Region 1 had a freshman finish 5th at 220. His record was 9 - 15. There was no 6th place wrestler.
Region 2 did not have enough wrestlers to have a 5th or 6th place finisher.
Region 3 did not have enough wrestlers to have a 4th, 5th or 6th place finisher.
Region 4 had a freshman finish 5th at 220. His record was 4 - 5. There was no 6th place finisher.

3. Using the 220 results from 2018 above, there would only be a decision to make between two wrestlers. Both had losing records. One had 9 wins while the other had only 9 matches.

If figuring this out stumps the coaches, stumps the WVSSAC, stumps the principals.................then I suggest a committee of 20+ strong Hall of Famers are assembled to figure this out.

If this fails, then Gator................under the close supervision of Frank, TruesouthfaninPBurg and Shemailman, can flip a coin.

Let's also keep in mind that Weir had a regional fifth place winner get a call and entered the state tournament. He placed 5th in the state!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:44 pm

We have come a long, long way. There is some funny reading in this historical discussion topic.

By the way, here in 2024, Region 2 only had three wrestlers at 120.

NEXT REGIONAL FIFTH PLACER UP!!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”