Don't Agree

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: Don't Agree

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:56 pm

Upon quick review, the Buffalo team has been permitted to exist in the past seasons despite numbers below the BS (Buffalo Standard) quota.

The Buffalo team was allowed to start practice this season.

Word on the street is somebody complained to the BOE that they did not meet the BS quota (Buffalo Standard).

The BOE investigated and the program was put on notice.

They rounded up enough wrestlers to meet the BS quota (Buffalo Standard) but they missed the deadline by a few days.

The wrestling community giveth and the school administration taketh away.

Based on the evidence before me, the person who complained is who is running things in Putnam County. This sounds familiar doesn't it???

Maybe more complaining is what is needed to address this matter???

More to come.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:41 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Upon quick review, the Buffalo team has been permitted to exist in the past seasons despite numbers below the BS (Buffalo Standard) quota.

Word on the street is somebody complained to the BOE that they did not meet the BS quota (Buffalo Standard).

They rounded up enough wrestlers to meet the BS quota (Buffalo Standard) but they missed the deadline by a few days.

Based on the evidence before me, the person who complained is who is running things in Putnam County. This sounds familiar doesn't it???

More to come.

For the purposes of accuracy, I believe you have misquoted the above posts (at least from my reading).
It was the middle school that was able to rounded up some additional wrestlers after the apparently "arbitrary deadline" set up by someone had passed, and this was totally separate from Buffalo. The principal in the story that was alluded to was not the high school principal, but the middle school principal. Just saying this so the gossip doesn't get more distorted than it needs to and two stories don't scrambled into one.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:20 pm

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:Upon quick review, the Buffalo team has been permitted to exist in the past seasons despite numbers below the BS (Buffalo Standard) quota.

More to come.

For the purposes of accuracy, I believe you have misquoted the above posts (at least from my reading).
It was the middle school that was able to rounded up some additional wrestlers after the apparently "arbitrary deadline" set up by someone had passed, and this was totally separate from Buffalo. The principal in the story that was alluded to was not the high school principal, but the middle school principal. Just saying this so the gossip doesn't get more distorted than it needs to and two stories don't scrambled into one.

It has become confusing. I am trying to get the facts. However, Buffalo High School was practicing. I am lead to believe that no administrator was telling the coach in October "you have to fill 12 weight classes in order to have a team". The kids showed up, practice began in mid November. Somebody complained. What was not a problem on November 14th was now a problem. End of team. Competition cannot even begin until November 28th. If enough westlers were on board by the time a bus was needed, then they should have moved forward.

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:34 pm

I see an easy solution. Putnam County School Board calls a 'special session' this upcoming week, every school board throughout WV has the power to do this, call in the principals, AD.s, coaches, and anyone else that needs to contribute to this mess and get things figured out so those high school and middle school wrestlers still have time to compete. Bearhugger, I'm finally seeing you in a different way. Thank you for addressing this situation.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:12 am

coach_stump wrote:I see an easy solution. Putnam County School Board calls a 'special session' this upcoming week, every school board throughout WV has the power to do this, call in the principals, AD.s, coaches, and anyone else that needs to contribute to this mess and get things figured out so those high school and middle school wrestlers still have time to compete. Bearhugger, I'm finally seeing you in a different way. Thank you for addressing this situation.

I don't disagree with this post and agree with a need to be proactive in an immediate manner. However, I thought it was somewhat obvious that neither the school board, the AD's, nor the principals have any desire to change anything. Otherwise they would have already addressed this. It appears that something will have to be done to force those in power to do anything.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:04 am

I wonder how many schools would have to eliminate wrestling if they had the 12 wrestler rule in place?

Sad.........
Moderator WV Mat

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Holy Cow, South has more coaches than some schools have wrestlers :o

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:28 pm

Bearhugger wrote:First, lets have a recent history lesson:

1. Two seasons ago, Caleb Rea was the LONE state tournament qualifier for Weir. He won the state title that same season. He is now doing very well wrestling at WVU.

2. Also two seasons ago, Magnolia won the Single A Team title with two wrestlers.

This ridiculous decision is fueled by letting the "team" aspect of wrestling overrule the "individual" aspect. Is the guideline that 12 weight classes must be filled???

What happens if the team can only fill 8 weight classes but has 20 wrestlers? Here is where letting the JV ENTER the ghosttown regions and let them COMPETE and then take the top four will counteract a stupid decision as this.

I have said it before and I do not like the message..........but this "team" crap is killing the sport. This is a perfect example of how some administrator, with limited to no knowledge, is looking at the sport through "team goggles" and screwing the individuals.

Sad!

Amen

aacoach21

Postby aacoach21 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:22 pm

Just goes to show educated people making uneducated decisions.

cspranger

Postby cspranger » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:28 am

Just wanted to post a little update on this.
Buffalo did not regain its wresting program.
So what does Coach Parsons do ???
Goes out and starts a youth program in Putnam County !!!
Exactly the kind of moxy, balls, and “not going to lose” attitude one would hope for in a wrestler, and dream of in a coach.
This is an inspiration to anyone who is paying attention. Brad Reed, Sr

mscoach181

Postby mscoach181 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:37 pm

If you follow the history of the top programs, or look at the top programs of the past, and follow the rise and fall of those that have reached competitive levels and then dropped off, you will usually find a youth, middle school, and high school program that have worked together to continue to create feeder programs. Starting one now will help, but may take a 5,6, or 7 year approach.

Besides a couple of programs, Parkersburg South and maybe one or two others, the problem you will see is a good coach starts with their kid and his group of friends young, moves up with them at middle school, and then with them to high school, and then out. Breaking the cycle and dead periods arise.

Good start for Putnam, hopefully he regains his high school team, but will take other like minded people to keep it going at all thee levels to ensure future success.

KSRefBP

Postby KSRefBP » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Non wrestling related, but figured I'd dig this old thread up. Putnam County Schools strikes again. Poca boys soccer has been forced to end their season for the same reason that Buffalo had to fold up their wrestling program.
Brian Pauley
Retired Kanawha Southern Wrestling Official
KS1845

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:15 am

Good news! Buffalo has a team this season.

However, a recent score indicates that they only had six wrestlers for that particular match.

The reason I am digging this up is to applaud the fighters down in Putnam County that revitalized the wrestling team. Furthermore, what has happened? Did the rule that was made and enforced last season get revised?

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:18 am

Buffalo has 15 wrestlers on their Trackwrestling roster.

crochog93

Postby crochog93 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:22 am

aaacoach6 wrote:Buffalo has 15 wrestlers on their Trackwrestling roster.

Id say they put a few of their mat maids on the roster and they're trying to slither their way through the season with that..... If they have 15 kids or whatever then where are they all at?

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:55 pm

crochog93 wrote:
aaacoach6 wrote:Buffalo has 15 wrestlers on their Trackwrestling roster.

Id say they put a few of their mat maids on the roster and they're trying to slither their way through the season with that..... If they have 15 kids or whatever then where are they all at?

"Slither?" If i was guessing i would think they have more than 1 kid in the weights they have... but just a guess since i havent seen them this year.

Return to “High School Wrestling”