Don't Agree

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
coach_stump

Don't Agree

Postby coach_stump » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:28 pm

I became aware of a situation that has recently taken place in Putnam County. Our region (Region 4 AA-A) lost a team (Buffalo High School) due to the low number of participants at that school. Apparently the school board adopted a policy that stated that each school in that county has to have enough wrestlers to fill 12 weight classes (apparently an older policy because as we know, its 14 now). Because of the low turnout, Buffalo must forego this wrestling season in hopes of getting more participants out next year.
We, as wrestling coaches, fight enough battles to get the student body to buy in to our sport, now this. And added to this, seems this carried over to the middle school feeder. According to sources, the program had 9 wrestlers to participate but was told they needed 10. Isn't there 15 weight classes in middle school? This program was dropped for this season as well. Something is just not right here, I don't agree with what is happening there. Would love to hear a response that clears the air to this.

aacoach30

Re: Don't Agree

Postby aacoach30 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:35 pm

I don’t understand how they can forego the wrestling season after it has already started.

Obviously people that do not know the sport making decisions. I can remember Berkeley Springs finishing runner up with 7 or 8 kids.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:18 pm

That is sad Mike. Didn’t South Charleston and Capital each have only a handful of wrestlers last season, but still they competed.

Adults making decisions that affect kids in a negative way is not right. They should take their case to court.
Moderator WV Mat

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:36 am

It seems they are denying the individuals who came out the chance to compete, I would guess a judge if asked would give them that opportunity.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:05 am

First, lets have a recent history lesson:

1. Two seasons ago, Caleb Rea was the LONE state tournament qualifier for Weir. He won the state title that same season. He is now doing very well wrestling at WVU.

2. Also two seasons ago, Magnolia won the Single A Team title with two wrestlers.

This ridiculous decision is fueled by letting the "team" aspect of wrestling overrule the "individual" aspect. Is the guideline that 12 weight classes must be filled???

What happens if the team can only fill 8 weight classes but has 20 wrestlers? Here is where letting the JV ENTER the ghosttown regions and let them COMPETE and then take the top four will counteract a stupid decision as this.

I have said it before and I do not like the message..........but this "team" crap is killing the sport. This is a perfect example of how some administrator, with limited to no knowledge, is looking at the sport through "team goggles" and screwing the individuals.

Sad!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:06 am

mscoach4 wrote:It seems they are denying the individuals who came out the chance to compete, I would guess a judge if asked would give them that opportunity.

Keyword "individuals".

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:08 am

Gator wrote:That is sad Mike. Didn’t South Charleston and Capital each have only a handful of wrestlers last season, but still they competed.

Adults making decisions that affect kids in a negative way is not right. They should take their case to court.

South Charleston had a wrestler that walked on an artificial limb. He is a very skilled wrestler. Although this young gentleman can probably do almost anything, I am taking upon myself that wrestling is a better fit for him.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:20 am

Buffalo had one STQ due back. He was a 285 last season and would be a junior now. He should transfer to Winfield as a free agent. He should be eligible now!

hhs92

Postby hhs92 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:30 am

actually in 2017 wirt county was single a state champions
and magnolia with two wrestlers placing(the nice brothers) finished as single a state runner-up

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 pm

hhs92 wrote:actually in 2017 wirt county was single a state champions
and magnolia with two wrestlers placing(the nice brothers) finished as single a state runner-up

I stand corrected. That is what happens when I do not double check. However, I knew as I typed, somebody would pick up a possible dropped ball and the message would get across.

This filling 12 weight classes or cancelling the team is <snip>! (Edited due to forum rules prohibiting swearing.)

The wrestling community needs to pull together and raise some Hell about this.

What happens if the chorus doesn't have any soprano singers??

What happens if the ugly girls don't get asked to the prom?

KSRefBP

Postby KSRefBP » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm

Coach Stump...I got a little clarification, as I know the president of the Putnam County Board of Education fairly well. Apparently, the policy in question is one that was established by the athletic directors at all of the high schools and all of the middle schools within Putnam County and approved by the County Superintendent. Not sure why ADs would vote on something like that, but it is a % based on the number of participants. And it's something that is in place for all sports. I passed along the feedback to Coach Parsons and hopefully the wrestling community can do something to change the policy going forward. Unfortunate situation, but hopefully one that can be rectified quickly.

Brian P.
Brian Pauley
Retired Kanawha Southern Wrestling Official
KS1845

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Brian, thanks for the imput. But still can't see if one kid, any kid, that goes to a school that has already been established (owns their own mats, uniforms, etc.) be denied the right to compete and a chance to fulfill his or her dream. I'm certainly glad that other counties don't have that ruling, only the big schools would be participating. Our county instituted a policy that if a coach wants paid a supplement, then they must have x amount of participants but doesn't take away an individual the right to wrestle for that school. Puts pressure on the coach if he wants paid for their services. Me personally, I would coach wrestling for free, just for the love of the sport.
Do you know if this same % applies to all sports? Thinking track has many, many events that make up that sport. Just curious.
I agree, I hope this opened some eyes in this situation and that the people in charge will have a change of mind and let our sport grow even more.

Sj154_69

Postby Sj154_69 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:33 am

I think the biggest issue with that county is that all sports have to use a school bus to go to their matches away. I am sure the cost of the school bus is what has caused the issue with not having the right number of wrestlers. it would make using a school bus too costly in their eyes. I think it is a shame though cause even one good wrestler that gets to go to the next level and have his or her education paid for is a great lose. Plus the change to help develop young men and women into better adults.

BobbyBoatly37

Postby BobbyBoatly37 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 am

Bearhugger wrote:

I stand corrected. That is what happens when I do not double check. However, I knew as I typed, somebody would pick up a possible dropped ball and the message would get across.

This filling 12 weight classes or cancelling the team is <snip>! (Edited due to forum rules prohibiting swearing.)

For once i actually agree with Bearhugger.
What really gets me is how they can have a uniform # requirement for a sport throughout the county when their is such disparity in the population of the member county schools.
In the last reclassification count :
Hurricane = 1237 students
Winfield = 861 students
Poca = 552 students
Buffalo = 341
And while i dont have #s for the feeder schools, im sure they reflect that ratio.

So this was voted on by the athletic directors and the boe previously ? Any athletic director that was approve this policy is a clown and should not be in charge of athletics at their school. This is a terrible policy. You are in essence sacrificing a kids oppurtunity to compete just because of a # requirement... in a sport that is an individual sport first and foremost.

I think the wrestling community as a whole should be calling the putnam county board of education, buffalo high school, gw middle school, and anyone else to show our support for them. Someone should file an injunction and threaten legal action if the children are not allowed to compete.
Also, how great would it be to show up at the next board of education meeting to give a piece of our mind and show support for these guys?

No matter how you look at it, Buffalo and GW are both getting screwed over in all of this and it is a shame that anyone in power would let this happen. I am very disappointed in the putnam county board of education to say the least.

Sincerely,
Bobby Boatly

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:33 pm

BobbyBoatly37 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

For once i actually agree with Bearhugger.
What really gets me is how they can have a uniform # requirement for a sport throughout the county when their is such disparity in the population of the member county schools.
In the last reclassification count :
Hurricane = 1237 students
Winfield = 861 students
Poca = 552 students
Buffalo = 341
And while i dont have #s for the feeder schools, im sure they reflect that ratio.

So this was voted on by the athletic directors and the boe previously ? Any athletic director that was approve this policy is a clown and should not be in charge of athletics at their school. This is a terrible policy. You are in essence sacrificing a kids oppurtunity to compete just because of a # requirement... in a sport that is an individual sport first and foremost.

I think the wrestling community as a whole should be calling the putnam county board of education, buffalo high school, gw middle school, and anyone else to show our support for them. Someone should file an injunction and threaten legal action if the children are not allowed to compete.
Also, how great would it be to show up at the next board of education meeting to give a piece of our mind and show support for these guys?

No matter how you look at it, Buffalo and GW are both getting screwed over in all of this and it is a shame that anyone in power would let this happen. I am very disappointed in the putnam county board of education to say the least.

Sincerely,
Bobby Boatly

Last season I traveled to Ironman, Powerade, Summersville area, Cameron (what a trek), Fairmont (twice), Huntington (twice), Pikeview High School, ROAC, Super 32. I went where the match ups were going to be. I drive from NC and turn down a lot of work to do so.

This season, I am playing it by ear. The match ups are dwindling. Next season will not be much better. The most exciting place to go now is becoming Parkersburg South. Not necessarily for the wrestling but to look at their principal!!!!!

I am of the mind that the problem is not necessarily the kids.............it is the adults in the young wrestlers' network.

This situation is not<snip> . I stand corrected TWICE now. This is Buffalo<snip>!!!!!!!!!!

You take a situation like this, along with the National Guard Duals BS last season (not even allowing the use of the Oak Hill Mat), it drains the life and enthusiasm from the coaches, the wrestlers, the fans and the parents.

I also recall last season where Winfield advertised for a month for the Mother's Match. In the final day, some administrator said they didn't have all the right paperwork in order. Where was the administrator's vast knowledge of the requirements early in the process so the fundraiser could be a success??

Where was the administration's vast knowledge and support on this Buffalo <snip> last season? Why wasn't some notice given so the wrestlers, coaches and parents knew what could happen and recruit more kids????? Where is the administration's interaction with the community?

Its like the WVSSAC and their "it takes two years to make a change' crap. In wrestling, you might have 1 second to make a decision or it is too late.

Putnam county is the gathering point of many (keyword many) of the snooty, high falooting WV people who pretend to be Thurston Howell the Third despite living in a Jed Clampett state. Quit pretending Putnam County. Get your head out of your a$$ and quit screwing up the kids.

WV has more kids wrestling in college today than ever before. Many were not state champs, but they continued on because they have hope.

But things become less possible when the beaurocrats and Thurston Howell the Thirds make dumba$$ decisions. Change the rule or policy about having to use the school bus. Hauling three kids around could be handled by a mom. Unions (bus driver) losing work? Looks like you lost the work anyway and some 15 year old kid lost his chance to wrestle.

Happy Thanksgiving.

nmgeorge05

Postby nmgeorge05 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Hello,

I'm a parent of one of the George Washington Middle School wrestlers who no longer has a team. I personally contacted the WVSSAC, the Put. Co Board office and spoke to Brad Hodges, and then finally spoke to the middle school principal and vice principal. I was told by both the SSAC and Board office that it would ultimately be up to the principal. At the time of speaking to the principal, it was our final day to find 1 more wrestler to get to the required 10 (we were allotted a 2 person drop from the original 12), she informed me that it was too late and she would not allow the team. I offered to fund the missing person should money be the issue. She assured me it was not money related. Later that evening I was contacted by two parents whose children wanted to join the team (which would put us at 11). I let our coach know who passed it along to the vice principal. He said it was too late, that the decision was final. My son is in 7th grade, he has wrestled since 1st grade, finished his season as a 6th grader at something like 32-6. He's devastated and we're angry. I'm completely shocked that they were so adamantly against allowing this team because of 1 participate when money wouldn't be the issue. At this point, I'm not certain what steps to take next but I'm willing to try anything within reason.

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:44 pm

If the school doesn't offer Wrestling could the students who want to wrestle go to the nearest school that offereds the sport if the parents agree to transport them?

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:50 pm

I am hearing a plea for help from nmgeorge05. I'm trying to help keep a program in our region the ability to compete like they should be able to, one kid or 14, along with their feeder program, by spreading the word and am willing to make calls or whatever it takes to get the admin to make it right. If its not money then what is it?? Are they mad at a Coach?? Their reasons just are not measuring up to the rest of the state.

nmgeorge05

Postby nmgeorge05 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:32 am

Repoman1304 wrote:If the school doesn't offer Wrestling could the students who want to wrestle go to the nearest school that offereds the sport if the parents agree to transport them?

I tried this too. I was shot down by the board and the principal as the SSAC rules state you can only go to another feeder school that your current school is a feeder to. In our case, that would be Poca Middle as we both feed into Poca High. I was denied because the principal stated that our middle school doesn't feed into Poca High School anymore, which I believe is a lie. She said last year there were only 8 students that went to Poca High. When I went to GWMS, half of my school went to Poca High and half to Buffalo High. I realize student ratio may change each year but if your school feeds any amount to a high school consistently, that seem like a feeder school to me? I would've gladly taken him to wrestle at Poca but ultimately would rather he and this teammates have a chance to participate at their own school. A few other parents have called the board over this holiday week and obviously any calls have to count for something. If you're willing, please call. Explain the importance of wrestling and why the number of participants doesn't makes sense for this sport. It can't hurt to try. Thank you.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:40 am

One could take upon themselves that this principal has a personal vendetta against the sport of wrestling. If she holds the power to say yes or no to wrestling at Buffalo High School, and it came down to rounding up a couple of more kids before a deadline, and kids were produced minutes, hours after the deadline, she would rather cancel the team and try against next season.

LeBeef

Postby LeBeef » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 pm

§127-2-3. Enrollment and Team Membership.
3.1. To be eligible for participation in interscholastic athletics, a student must be enrolled full-time in a member school as described in Rule 127-2-6 on or before the eleventh instructional day of the school year. Enrollment must be continuous after the student has officially enrolled in the school.
3.2. Students can participate only in schools in which they are enrolled; however, an exception may be granted by the Board of Directors as follows:
3.2.a. if a feeder school does not afford students the opportunity to participate and they are otherwise eligible.

LeBeef

Postby LeBeef » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:04 pm

§127-2-3. Enrollment and Team Membership.
3.1. To be eligible for participation in interscholastic athletics, a student must be enrolled full-time in a member school as described in Rule 127-2-6 on or before the eleventh instructional day of the school year. Enrollment must be continuous after the student has officially enrolled in the school.
3.2. Students can participate only in schools in which they are enrolled; however, an exception may be granted by the Board of Directors as follows:
3.2.a. if a feeder school does not afford students the opportunity to participate and they are otherwise eligible.

LeBeef

Postby LeBeef » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:37 pm

In my opinion, EVERY student should be allowed to compete in a sport, even if it is not offered at the school of enrollment. I am friends with a head coach from a Single A PA school. Their neighbor high school lost their wrestling program this year and he contacted the PIAA to bring their wrestlers to their school to compete on their team. It was approved!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Somebody please clarify for me and the other readers if the following is true about this Buffalo situation:

1. The rule and/or guideline has been on the books for X number of years or it is brand new?

2. If it is an old rule, it was never enforced?

3. If an old rule, was the coach and wrestlers given notice that it would be enforced this season? Or was it sprung on the team once their first few days/weeks of practice started?

4. Has Buffalo's wrestler been practicing since mid November?

5. Enough wrestlers were recruited to meet the requirement a few days after the deadline and the decision stayed as a no?

noff57

Postby noff57 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:58 am

Somebody, please clarify for me and the other readers if the following is true about this Buffalo situation:

1. The rule and/or guideline has been on the books for X number of years or it is brand new? Believe it was in the books.
[/color]
2. If it is an old rule, it was never enforced? Never enforced

3. If an old rule, was the coach and wrestlers given notice that it would be enforced this season? Or was it sprung on the team once their first few days/weeks of practice started? No. It was sprung on them with 4 days to try to gather more kids

4. Has Buffalo's wrestler been practicing since mid-November? They started and practiced 1 week

5. Enough wrestlers were recruited to meet the requirement a few days after the deadline and the decision stayed as a no? Borderline. Buffalo had more wrestlers this year than last year. GWMS was 1 short and they were still told NO

But this has happened to Buffalo High School & GWMS "Buffalo/Poca feeder school" at the same time.

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:08 am

this is sad to see for any program. Now if im correct in wood county if your school doesnt have a sport than you are allowed to play for the next closest school with a program. i dont know if the rule is state wide or county to county but the kids that wanted to wrestle should be able to participate for the next closest school. Im no golden horseshoe winner but if that rule is true than they should be allowed to join winfields team. sad to see because most schools will never be able to recover.

mgr1980

Postby mgr1980 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:10 am

Unless Im missing something this is so wrong. I feel someone should hear how we are feeling about this. I promise my intention is not to start a riot but Im posting the info I found for George Washington Middle School: GWMS 304-586-2875 Principal email is tslack@k12.wv.us Happy Thanksgiving to all and I hope all wrestlers have a safe season

aacoach35

Postby aacoach35 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:35 am

This Coach Parsons of Buffalo High School want to think everyone who has called or have helped try to get the HS program back up and running.

I have spoken to the AD and the board office
The response from all is this has been the rule for years. But Buffalo allowed me to have a team with the low numbers for the past couple years. But someone called the board office to complain that I did not have enough wrestlers this year. So the board office called the school to verify the number of wrestlers
That is when the board office stepped in and said with the low numbers this year they was canceling this years season. The person or persons that called the board also hurt the MS program. So while trying to hurt my program he / she ended up hurting 17 young men that needed this sport.
When I spoke to the board office he said the AD’s of Putnam county made this rule several years ago. And the Board approved all sports to have a minimum number and wrestling was 12. So I then called my AD and he said that the Putnam County AD’s will meet in January for the next meeting. So hopefully they will consider lowing the numbers in wrestling.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Who was that someone?

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:25 am

aacoach35 wrote:This Coach Parsons of Buffalo High School want to think everyone who has called or have helped try to get the HS program back up and running.

I have spoken to the AD and the board office
The response from all is this has been the rule for years. But Buffalo allowed me to have a team with the low numbers for the past couple years. But someone called the board office to complain that I did not have enough wrestlers this year. So the board office called the school to verify the number of wrestlers
That is when the board office stepped in and said with the low numbers this year they was canceling this years season. The person or persons that called the board also hurt the MS program. So while trying to hurt my program he / she ended up hurting 17 young men that needed this sport.
When I spoke to the board office he said the AD’s of Putnam county made this rule several years ago. And the Board approved all sports to have a minimum number and wrestling was 12. So I then called my AD and he said that the Putnam County AD’s will meet in January for the next meeting. So hopefully they will consider lowing the numbers in wrestling.

So, although not said directly, it sounds as though the current Putnam County AD's support the current policy, even for wrestling, and have no feeling of need to meet any sooner to address the issue presently occurring. Sounds like the only possible hope for support doesn't exist. I guess the only question is whether the policy set forth by the AD's, as it affects wrestling, would be considered by the court system as being acceptable since the school system is publicly funded, but apparently not serving the public thru this policy. Just because a policy is made doesn't always mean the courts will say it is acceptable (just ask Trump). Sounds like that would be the best and quickest approach, if a local attorney (hopefully one with wrestling experience) felt so inclined to step in and help address the situation. On the other hand, I made be way out in left field with this thought.

Return to “High School Wrestling”