AAA Bear Tracks - November 30th

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

AAA Bear Tracks - November 30th

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:53 pm

AAA BEAR TRACKS – NOVEMBER 30th, 2018

106 Ranked
1. Dolan/Spring Mills/3rd in state/R2

106 Pack
Edens/St. Albans/NA/R3
Cochran/John Marshall/NA/R1
Matson/Ripley/NA/R4
Miller/Parkersburg South/NA/R4
Taggert/Wheeling Park/NA/R1

113 Ranked
1. Stockett/University/4th in state/R1
2. Easton/Parkersburg South/5th in the state/R4
113 Pack
Carman/John Marshall/NA/R1
Haskins/Ripley/NA/R4
Lyles/Huntington/NA/R4
Murphy/ Wheeling Park/STQ/R1
Shelek/Wheeling Park/NA/R1

120 Ranked
1. Hartley/St. Albans/State Champion/R3
2. (tie) Bowen/Huntington/Runner Up in state/R4 & Donahue/Parkersburg/Runner up in state/R4
3. Johnson/South/3rd in states/R4
4. Gray/John Marshall/5th in state/R1
5. Richardson/Wheeling Park/6th in state0R1

120 Pack
Cox/Ripley/STQ/R4
Curry/Hampshire/STQ/R2
Simpson/University/NA/R1

126 Ranked
1. Holt/St. Albans/State Champion/R3
2. Staud/University/State Champion/R1
3. Windland/Parkersburg South/Runner up in state/R4
126 Pack
Miller/Ripley/NA/R4
Serrano/Huntington/NA/R4
Shook John Marshall/STQ/R1

132 Ranked
1. Miller/Musselman/Runner up in state/R2
2. Simpson/University/3rd in state/R1
132 Pack
Cobb/Ripley/NA/R4
Hoover, C/Greenbrier East/STQ/R3
Shamblin/Parkersburg South/NA/R4
Spradling/St. Albans/NA/R3
Viars/Huntington/STQ/R4
Welker/Wheeling Park/STQ/R1

138 Ranked
1. Quiocho/South/State Champion/R4
2. (tie) Love/John Marshall/4th in State/R1 & Mitchell/Wheeling Park/4th in state/R1
138 Pack
Pauley/St. Albans/NA/R3

145 Ranked
1. Roberts/South/State Champion/R4
2. Shelek/Wheeling Park/Runner up in state/R1
145 Pack
Atkins/St. Albans/STQ/R3
Dempsey, G/Huntington/STQ/R4

152 Ranked
1. Hinzman/South/State champion/R4
2. Best/Parkersburg/Runner up in state/R4
152 Pack
Buckler/Hampshire/STQ/R2
Dempsey, A/Huntington/State qualifier/R4
Stewart/St. Albans/NA/R3

160 Ranked
1. Smithson/Buckhannon-Upshur/4th in the state/R1
160 Pack
Bailey/St. Albans/STQ/R3
Barrett/Huntington/NA/R4
Linder/Parkersburg South/STQ/R4
Parsons/Ripley/NA/R4
Staub/Hampshire/STQ/R2

170 Ranked
1. Berisford/John Marshall/2nd in State/R1
2. Stewart/Huntington/2nd in state/R4
3. Casto/St. Albans/5th in state/R3
170 Pack
Fagga/Hampshire/STQ/R2
McMullen/Parkersburg South/NA/R4

182 Ranked
1. Lanham/Huntington/State champion/R4
2. Carmen/John Marshall/Runner up in state/R1
3. Stevens/Spring Valley/4th in state/R4
182 Pack
Fullerton/Parkersburg South/STQ/R4
Parsons/Ripley/NA/R4
Roy/St. Albans/NA/R3

195 Ranked
1. Swisher/Hampshire/State Champion/R2
2. Wade/Parkersburg/5th in state/R4
195 Pack
Buckalew/Parkersburg South/NA/Word on the street/R4
Boggess/Ripley/NA/R4
McClur/John Marshall/NA/R1
Murphy/Huntington/NA/R4

220 Ranked
1. Amos/South/State Champion/R4
2. Wood/Wheeling Park/3rd in state/R1
3. Gribble/University/4th in state/R1
220 Pack
Arbogast/St. Albans/NA/R3
Baker/Huntington/NA/R4
Chance/Hurricane/NA/R4
Clark/John Marshall/NA/R1
Moore/Ripley/NA/R4

285 Ranked
1. Haga/South/Runner up in state/R4
2. Stanley/Spring Valley/Runner up in state/R4
3. Chapman/Riverside/4th in state/R3
4. Williams/John Marshall/5th in State/R1
285 Pack
Cook/Hurricane/NA/R4
Kilmer/Musselman/STQ/R2
Lambert/Hampshire/STQ/R2
McGaha/Wheeling Park/STQ/R1
Stiffler/Woodrow Wilson/NA/R3
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

greencrush

Re: AAA Bear Tracks - November 30th

Postby greencrush » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:47 pm

AAA 120 :lol: and there are still names missing there.
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:08 pm

greencrush wrote:AAA 120 :lol: and there are still names missing there.

Share the names. Contribute.

Bobtail91

Postby Bobtail91 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:38 pm

126 Salmons Cabell Midland

huntwrastling101

Postby huntwrastling101 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

If I had to assume, he means Hobbs and/or Hardy

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Parkersburg High Results from this weekend:

Donahue was 126
Moler was 145
King was 195
Wade was 220
Moderator WV Mat

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:10 am

Bearhugger wrote:

I think you misinterpreted.
I wasn't criticizing. I was just saying it's going to be a tough weight class. The laughter was excitement at how tough the class is going to be.
sentenceseller

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:14 am

Not trying to be negative but.... I'm guessing you will find you have taken on a somewhat enormous job, especially if you're trying to keep up to date on a daily basis in real time. Especially early on with guys switching back and forth in weight classes (unless you're privy to what weight they weighed in at). There are now several names to add to your list from the scores page. Next will come how to rank three wrestlers who all lost to one of the three and all beat one of the three, or some other complex scenario. That is why most rankings have to have some degree of subjectivity to them. I suppose you can go with the most recent results but that will also not always work. If you are compiling a form of data base with all the wrestlers listed on it, it would be interesting to have the wrestler's year in school also listed with them. In regards to your current rankings: (1) at 120 you actually have 6 wrestlers ranked instead of 5 (2) at 126 you have the 113 returning champion ranked ahead of the returning 120 champion. I think it should be the other way around. One might even rank the runner up at a higher weight class above the champion of a lower weight class, not that it matters. (3) at 152, the 17th ranked wrestler in the nation is going to have to sit in second place, possibly, until mid January before he has a chance to move up, again, no big deal, just an observation. I thank you for trying and hope it doesn't become a thankless job.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:11 am

KDunbar wrote:Not trying to be negative but.... I'm guessing you will find you have taken on a somewhat enormous job, especially if you're trying to keep up to date on a daily basis in real time. Especially early on with guys switching back and forth in weight classes (unless you're privy to what weight they weighed in at). There are now several names to add to your list from the scores page. Next will come how to rank three wrestlers who all lost to one of the three and all beat one of the three, or some other complex scenario. That is why most rankings have to have some degree of subjectivity to them. I suppose you can go with the most recent results but that will also not always work. If you are compiling a form of data base with all the wrestlers listed on it, it would be interesting to have the wrestler's year in school also listed with them. In regards to your current rankings: (1) at 120 you actually have 6 wrestlers ranked instead of 5 (2) at 126 you have the 113 returning champion ranked ahead of the returning 120 champion. I think it should be the other way around. One might even rank the runner up at a higher weight class above the champion of a lower weight class, not that it matters. (3) at 152, the 17th ranked wrestler in the nation is going to have to sit in second place, possibly, until mid January before he has a chance to move up, again, no big deal, just an observation. I thank you for trying and hope it doesn't become a thankless job.

Great response. Let me know if I do not address everything:

1. Enormous job? The hardest part is going to be getting the data. We need the high school's affiliates (coaches, parents, etc) to post their scores. That is the problem now.
2. New rankings will be posted as data is available. Daily/real time is realistically after the scores are posted after matches during the week. Weekend results might take a day or two. Regardless, we are all ahead. Many teams haven't even wrestled yet. There are many #1 ranked wrestlers that have not wrestled yet.
3. After the weekend of December 7th and 8th, I am ranking all wrestlers at the weights they wrestled. Whenever they change, I will change them again.

4. I will deal with all complex scenarios as they come. That is like worrying about an opponent's spladle and you drill spladle defense for weeks. When the match happens, he bumps up and spladles your teammate. Your opponent throws you in a cowboy and pins you in 34 seconds.

5. You are worried about this enormous task, but you now would like to see the wrestlers school year added to it? Won't that make things more enormous? Ok, I will work on that.
6. Regarding 120, I knew that when I did it. I wanted to get all returning place winners recognized. If #5 loses, he drops out. If a #2 beats number 1, he moves up. #1 moves down. #5 gets bumped to the pack.
7. Please explain the 113 situation. I do not understand this one. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
8. The logic used was explained. The 17th in the nation ranked wrestler at 152 was also a runner up last season at the WV state tournament. He is in a weight class with a returning state champion. I followed the logic I established. What other ranking systems indicate does not influence Bear Tracks. That is what makes Bear Tracks unique. However, these two 152s will be together at Ironman this weekend. Maybe they will meet and settle this ranking discussion by Saturday night??? If they do not meet, but one places and the other goes 1-2, then that situation will influence Bear Track rankings.

9. There is nothing thankless about following wrestling. Knowing what is going on is always better than not knowing.

10. Wheeling Park is suppose to have some wrestle offs today or Tuesday. This should clear up 152, 160 and 170 they have. Once known, I can rank those three gentlemen. Let me know since that is your hood.

Thanks!

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 am

KDunbar wrote:(3) at 152, the 17th ranked wrestler in the nation is going to have to sit in second place, possibly, until mid January before he has a chance to move up, again, no big deal, just an observation. I thank you for trying and hope it doesn't become a thankless job.

Who has Best ranked #17 in the nation? I just checked Intermat and didn't see anything there.
That's awesome! I must have missed something big in the open season.
sentenceseller

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:51 am

Bearhugger wrote:7. Please explain the 113 situation. I do not understand this one. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I believe I understand what he was trying to say there.
He thinks Staud should be ranked ahead of Holt at 126 because both are State Champions, but Staud was heavier last year. Therefore, smaller weight jump for Staud. Therefore, Staud more prepared for that weight.

I tend not to agree. They're both the same weight now, and neither was 126 last year. I've seen too many cases in the past of a wrestler who was merely a place winner in the past bumping up multiple weights and winning a Championship at the new, higher weight class. (eg: Jake Martin 152 runner-up to 170 champion, and Evan Thompson 130lb 5th place to 152 Champion) Those are big jumps, 18 and 22lbs respectively. By comparison, Holt has only got up 13lbs, which could easily be all muscle and bone (read, lean body mass), in a 15 year old boy.
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:12 pm

greencrush wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:7. Please explain the 113 situation. I do not understand this one. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I believe I understand what he was trying to say there.
He thinks Staud should be ranked ahead of Holt at 126 because both are State Champions, but Staud was heavier last year. Therefore, smaller weight jump for Staud. Therefore, Staud more prepared for that weight.

I tend not to agree. They're both the same weight now, and neither was 126 last year. I've seen too many cases in the past of a wrestler who was merely a place winner in the past bumping up multiple weights and winning a Championship at the new, higher weight class. (eg: Jake Martin 152 runner-up to 170 champion, and Evan Thompson 130lb 5th place to 152 Champion) Those are big jumps, 18 and 22lbs respectively. By comparison, Holt has only got up 13lbs, which could easily be all muscle and bone (read, lean body mass), in a 15 year old boy.

I recall my decision making process now on Holt and Staud. Holt is a two time state champion, thus I gave Holt the "Naud" over Staud. I am not concerned about weight classes of last season. If Frazier cut down to 138, I would tie him with Hall until they settle it on the mat.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 pm

I thought you'd get a kick out of that request for grade level added to the work load.

For Greencrush.
The rankings I referred to were on Track wrestling. Best finished 2nd in freestyle and Greco during the summer in a tournament behind only Carson Manville in both.

WV wrestlers in the top 25 were:
138 lb Peyton Hall, ranked 12th
152 lb John Martin Best, ranked 17th
220 lb Braxton Amos, ranked 1st

For Bearhugger.
You can find some WV results on the OVAeC.org site for Wirt County, Weirton Madonna, and Paden City for help with wrestlers and their weight classes at this point in time.

Wrestlingready

Postby Wrestlingready » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm

The following teams will be at the Barnesville Tournament this year, maybe there will be a few matches that would clear up a few of the ranking.

Huntington
Wheeling Park
Brooke
Hurricane

Campion

Postby Campion » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:40 pm

How good are high schools at getting individual results posted?

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Is your plan to keep these at 5 ranked wrestler, or do you plan on expanding to 6-8 with more information?
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:27 pm

greencrush wrote:Is your plan to keep these at 5 ranked wrestler, or do you plan on expanding to 6-8 with more information?

Continuous improvement never stops. Tell everybody you know to get their scores turned in to Doc. If that happens, who knows what will happen.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:51 pm

Campion wrote:How good are high schools at getting individual results posted?

Some schools do a great job.

Some schools either make no effort or they do not know about wvmat. I am not sure what the problem is.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 pm

KDunbar wrote:For Greencrush.
The rankings I referred to were on Track wrestling. Best finished 2nd in freestyle and Greco during the summer in a tournament behind only Carson Manville in both.

WV wrestlers in the top 25 were:
138 lb Peyton Hall, ranked 12th
152 lb John Martin Best, ranked 17th
220 lb Braxton Amos, ranked 1st

Updated Flo Wrestling rankings:
Hall 7th
Best 18th
Amos 1st

Return to “High School Wrestling”