2018 JCI

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Red Devil Coach

2018 JCI

Postby Red Devil Coach » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:56 am

The Jackson County Invitation will be held at Ravenswood HS this year due to Armory now not being available due to a Military Deployment. Teams confirmed for this years event are:
Calhoun Co.
Capitol HS
Huntington HS-Ohio
Independence
Lincoln Co.
Logan Co.
Mingo Central
Nitro HS
Pt. Pleasant
Ravenswood
Roane Co.
St. Mary's
Wahama
Williamstown
Wirt

aaacoach38

Re: 2018 JCI

Postby aaacoach38 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:09 am

Coach, please add South Blue Team to your list.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Red Devil Coach wrote:The Jackson County Invitation will be held at Ravenswood HS this year due to Armory now not being available due to a Military Deployment. Teams confirmed for this years event are:
Calhoun Co.
Capitol HS
Huntington HS-Ohio
Independence
Lincoln Co.
Logan Co.
Mingo Central
Nitro HS
Pt. Pleasant
Ravenswood
Roane Co.
St. Mary's
Wahama
Williamstown
Wirt

Looking pretty dang good this season. I might have to attend and it will give me a good reason to eat at the Yacht Club in Ripley.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Red Devil Coach wrote:The Jackson County Invitation will be held at Ravenswood HS this year due to Armory now not being available due to a Military Deployment. Teams confirmed for this years event are:
Calhoun Co.
Capitol HS
Huntington HS-Ohio
Independence
Lincoln Co.
Logan Co.
Mingo Central
Nitro HS
Pt. Pleasant
Ravenswood
Roane Co.
St. Mary's
Wahama
Williamstown
Wirt

The Flyer on the front page re JCI still has the Armory as the venue.

aaacoach28

Postby aaacoach28 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I don't believe that South's Blue team was invited this year?? Just what I was told!

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 pm

So, is Parkersburg South Blue in the JCI or not ? :?

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:47 pm

parkersburg south jv can come to the Bob Stover on January 26th if they want to come

mgr1980

Postby mgr1980 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 pm

South Blue is on the 2018-2019 JV schedule for attending the Jackson Co Invitational. The schedule was given to me by a South matmaid. I can only assume by the schedule they will be there. I would like to see a confirmation update. Thanks.

aaacoach38

Postby aaacoach38 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:12 am

aaacoach28 wrote:I don't believe that South's Blue team was invited this year?? Just what I was told!

That is apparently correct.

aaacoach38

Postby aaacoach38 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:13 am

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:So, is Parkersburg South Blue in the JCI or not ? :?

No. Uninvited.

aaacoach38

Postby aaacoach38 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 am

mgr1980 wrote:South Blue is on the 2018-2019 JV schedule for attending the Jackson Co Invitational. The schedule was given to me by a South matmaid. I can only assume by the schedule they will be there. I would like to see a confirmation update. Thanks.

It has been confirmed that South Blue is not attending.
Last edited by aaacoach38 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

mgr1980

Postby mgr1980 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks.

aacoach133

Postby aacoach133 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:48 am

aaacoach38 wrote:

No. Uninvited.

No not uninvited! Was told last night that if we could not get their both their heavyweights into tourney they were not coming. We could not get the 2nd one in as the bracket was full at 16 and I was informed that they would not attend due to not being able to fit the extra heavyweight into the tourney. It's unfortunate, but we work in as many extras as we can, there are several teams not able to bring extras in certain weight classes due to full brackets.

aacoach133

Postby aacoach133 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:20 pm

aaacoach38 wrote:

No. Uninvited.

Not uninvited! I was informed last night that since Parkersburg South Blue has two heavyweights on their team and we can only enter one of the two in the tourney, Parkersburg South Blue would not be attending. They informed us that if they could not put all their wrestlers including extras in, they were not attending. Its unfortunate, we try to work as many extras in as possible where there is room, there are several teams unable to fit extras in at certain weight classes due to full 16 man brackets.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:25 pm

On a positive note, here are 15 teams for this tournament, and with the difficulty today of filling each weight class (especially the 106 & 285 weights) and the small size for several of these high schools, 10 of the 15 definitely have a 285 wrestler. I'm guessing Williamstown does but he hasn't wrestled yet due to football, and I could find no results for Capital, Lincoln Co., Logan, or Huntington (Ohio). I'm guessing they also have a heavyweight, which is actually good news.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:00 am

aacoach133 wrote:
aaacoach38 wrote:

No. Uninvited.

No not uninvited! Was told last night that if we could not get their both their heavyweights into tourney they were not coming. We could not get the 2nd one in as the bracket was full at 16 and I was informed that they would not attend due to not being able to fit the extra heavyweight into the tourney. It's unfortunate, but we work in as many extras as we can, there are several teams not able to bring extras in certain weight classes due to full brackets.

Pigtail them in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:35 am

aacoach133 wrote:
aaacoach38 wrote:

No. Uninvited.

Not uninvited! I was informed last night that since Parkersburg South Blue has two heavyweights on their team and we can only enter one of the two in the tourney, Parkersburg South Blue would not be attending. They informed us that if they could not put all their wrestlers including extras in, they were not attending. Its unfortunate, we try to work as many extras in as possible where there is room, there are several teams unable to fit extras in at certain weight classes due to full 16 man brackets.

Something weird happened here.
All 15 teams showed up.
Looking at the brackets, only 9 teams brought 285 lb wrestlers, St. Marys entered 3, Wirt entered 2, Hunt.(OH) entered 2, & Ravenswood entered 2. How did they know to bring all those wrestlers ready for weigh ins?
There were two byes and South Blue didn't come because there wasn't room for an extra 285 pounder ????
What the heck happened ???

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:29 am

KDunbar wrote:
aacoach133 wrote:
aaacoach38 wrote:
No. Uninvited.

All 15 teams showed up.
Looking at the brackets, only 9 teams brought 285 lb wrestlers, St. Marys entered 3, Wirt entered 2, Hunt.(OH) entered 2, & Ravenswood entered 2. How did they know to bring all those wrestlers ready for weigh ins?
There were two byes and South Blue didn't come because there wasn't room for an extra 285 pounder ????

Wait a minute!!!!!
Got to thinking and actually looked at all the brackets.
106 had 6 byes
113 had 9 byes !!!
120 had 6 byes
126 had 10 byes !!!!!!
132 had had 4 byes
138 had 1 bye (with Indy JV entering 3 wrestlers & Ravenswood entering 2 wrestlers)
145 had 6 byes
152 had 5 byes
160 had 4 byes
170 had no byes (but, Point entered 2, Logan entered 2, Ravenswood entered 2, Wirt entered 2, & Ind. entered 2)
182 had 9 byes !!!!!
195 had 6 byes
220 had 6 byes

There were 15 teams with 14 weight classes, meaning 210 wrestlers should have shown-up, but there were 72 byes (that's more than 1/3 of all wrestlers) and countless extra wrestlers for many teams. Unless the scales were off and most kids didn't make weight, who in their right mind would not be able to guarantee everyone the chance to wrestle. It must not have been unknown how many empty weight classes all of these local teams have or so many teams wouldn't have been ready with so many extra wrestlers. Heck, since all of South's wrestlers at 170 actually weigh 160 or could have wrestled at 182, they could have brought everyone on their team (varsity and JV, except sorry Louden Haga, there wouldn't have been time for them to pigtail you in, what with full 16 man brackets; oh, wait all those byes really didn't take very long).
LIke I said, something doesn't sound right. Maybe this was a problem of the "adults" that had nothing to do with the kids. One way or the other, it's a shame some kids were denied the chance to participate.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:38 pm

KDunbar wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
aacoach133 wrote:

All 15 teams showed up.

Wait a minute!!!!!
106 had 6 byes
113 had 9 byes !!!
120 had 6 byes
126 had 10 byes !!!!!!
132 had had 4 byes
138 had 1 bye (with Indy JV entering 3 wrestlers & Ravenswood entering 2 wrestlers)
145 had 6 byes
152 had 5 byes
160 had 4 byes
170 had no byes (but, Point entered 2, Logan entered 2, Ravenswood entered 2, Wirt entered 2, & Ind. entered 2)
182 had 9 byes !!!!!
195 had 6 byes
220 had 6 byes

There were 15 teams with 14 weight classes, meaning 210 wrestlers should have shown-up, but there were 72 byes (that's more than 1/3 of all wrestlers) and countless extra wrestlers for many teams. Unless the scales were off and most kids didn't make weight, who in their right mind would not be able to guarantee everyone the chance to wrestle. It must not have been unknown how many empty weight classes all of these local teams have or so many teams wouldn't have been ready with so many extra wrestlers. Heck, since all of South's wrestlers at 170 actually weigh 160 or could have wrestled at 182, they could have brought everyone on their team (varsity and JV, except sorry Louden Haga, there wouldn't have been time for them to pigtail you in, what with full 16 man brackets; oh, wait all those byes really didn't take very long).
LIke I said, something doesn't sound right. Maybe this was a problem of the "adults" that had nothing to do with the kids. One way or the other, it's a shame some kids were denied the chance to participate.

It seems you did not do enough research. Lincoln and Williamstown have no 285 from the results i can see. Capitol has no results that i can see, but that does not mean they do not have a 285. Every other team at the JCI has results for a 285. It seems to be a case of several kids not showing up that wrestled 1-2 weeks prior. So if we consider that with rosters turned in there would be 3 open 285 spots, and the host Ravenswood taking the first open spot for their extra 285 (who can honestly argue that), we have 2 open spots on paper. Anybody in their right mind would not be able to guarantee a last minute addition a spot when there are a few teams that also wanted to add extra kids as well. With the two spots available, was the tournament director/Ravenswood supposed to guarantee a south extra 285 a spot over the St. Marys or Wirt or Hunt OH extra kids?

But if the rumors of late night demands, nasty emails from the coach of a pulled out team, and clock shenanigans from that same team are to be believed, i would surmise you are blaming the wrong adults.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:47 am

KDunbar wrote:On a positive note, here are 15 teams for this tournament, and with the difficulty today of filling each weight class (especially the 106 & 285 weights) and the small size for several of these high schools, 10 of the 15 definitely have a 285 wrestler. I'm guessing Williamstown does but he hasn't wrestled yet due to football, and I could find no results for Capital, Lincoln Co., Logan, or Huntington (Ohio). I'm guessing they also have a heavyweight, which is actually good news.
JustSomeone wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
All 15 teams showed up.

Wait a minute!!!!!
106 had 6 byes
113 had 9 byes !!!
120 had 6 byes
126 had 10 byes !!!!!!
132 had had 4 byes
145 had 6 byes
152 had 5 byes
160 had 4 byes
182 had 9 byes !!!!!
195 had 6 byes
220 had 6 byes

It seems you did not do enough research. Lincoln and Williamstown have no 285 from the results i can see. Capitol has no results that i can see, but that does not mean they do not have a 285. Every other team at the JCI has results for a 285. It seems to be a case of several kids not showing up that wrestled 1-2 weeks prior. So if we consider that with rosters turned in there would be 3 open 285 spots, and the host Ravenswood taking the first open spot for their extra 285 (who can honestly argue that), we have 2 open spots on paper. Anybody in their right mind would not be able to guarantee a last minute addition a spot when there are a few teams that also wanted to add extra kids as well. With the two spots available, was the tournament director/Ravenswood supposed to guarantee a south extra 285 a spot over the St. Marys or Wirt or Hunt OH extra kids?

But if the rumors of late night demands, nasty emails from the coach of a pulled out team, and clock shenanigans from that same team are to be believed, i would surmise you are blaming the wrong adults.

I think I did the research, and found exactly what you stated : Lincoln, Williamstown, & Capital have no posted results and I could find none for Logan. Honestly, I didn't really search for Huntington, OH but just assumed they did have a 285.

It's funny to see you posting things on other posts about "class", and then to read this post by you. I didn't cast aspersion in any one person's direction. Just said it sounded like an adult ego thing. You're the one saying there were late night demands from South coaches, nasty emails from South coaches, and cheating on South's part by timekeepers (that's pertinent to this topic? So you're alluding on here that at least one wrestler from South should have his results questioned. Are you trying to shame someone in public?). As I said before, I think it is a "shame" that wrestlers did not get to wrestle. I think South should have gone on this short drive if only for one wrestler. I also think if one was to run a tournament that has this many byes (there were about 68 last year without including those filled by extra wrestlers) that since about 1/3 of the matches in the first round never get wrestled one would be more than happy to pigtail as many matches as needed, just for the kids. But that's just me. And I'm not hiding behind a keyboard (like you).

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:16 am

Not to pick a side or stir it up any further, but I think it's important to point out, since the number of byes is being mentioned, that these byes are necessary. Due to the number of teams and even using a special bracket, I think 10 or 11 is the magic number of wrestlers. On a 16-man bracket, 10 wrestlers makes the class "full". You will notice that at least 3 consolation finals had to be forfeited because the wrestler had already reached his 5-match limit. They do try to limit entries and seed it in such a way to avoid this happening as much as possible. I can't speak to the wisdom of not showing up for the sake of one extra kid or whether the tournament should have allowed another team. I've been turned away from tournaments before. It happens.

aacoach132

Postby aacoach132 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 am

I think I did the research, and found exactly what you stated : Lincoln, Williamstown, & Capital have no posted results and I could find none for Logan. Honestly, I didn't really search for Huntington, OH but just assumed they did have a 285.

It's funny to see you posting things on other posts about "class", and then to read this post by you. I didn't cast aspersion in any one person's direction. Just said it sounded like an adult ego thing. You're the one saying there were late night demands from South coaches, nasty emails from South coaches, and cheating on South's part by timekeepers (that's pertinent to this topic? So you're alluding on here that at least one wrestler from South should have his results questioned. Are you trying to shame someone in public?). As I said before, I think it is a "shame" that wrestlers did not get to wrestle. I think South should have gone on this short drive if only for one wrestler. I also think if one was to run a tournament that has this many byes (there were about 68 last year without including those filled by extra wrestlers) that since about 1/3 of the matches in the first round never get wrestled one would be more than happy to pigtail as many matches as needed, just for the kids. But that's just me. And I'm not hiding behind a keyboard (like you).

I know this is off topic here, but I want to point out that Lincoln County doesn't have any searchable results until JCI because we haven't had any dual meets yet and because our first two tournaments were out of state (Fairland/Ashland).

And we will have a 285 very shortly. It will be either Will Leach who competed at 220 on Saturday or Jacob Scraggs (2x state qualifier) depending on who wins/loses the 220 pound wrestle off each week.
"Just Wrestle."

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:38 pm

KDunbar wrote:
KDunbar wrote:On a positive note, here are 15 teams for this tournament, and with the difficulty today of filling each weight class (especially the 106 & 285 weights) and the small size for several of these high schools, 10 of the 15 definitely have a 285 wrestler. I'm guessing Williamstown does but he hasn't wrestled yet due to football, and I could find no results for Capital, Lincoln Co., Logan, or Huntington (Ohio). I'm guessing they also have a heavyweight, which is actually good news.
JustSomeone wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
Wait a minute!!!!!
106 had 6 byes
113 had 9 byes !!!
120 had 6 byes
126 had 10 byes !!!!!!
132 had had 4 byes
145 had 6 byes
152 had 5 byes
160 had 4 byes
182 had 9 byes !!!!!
195 had 6 byes
220 had 6 byes

Yes it is clear that several teams turned in rosters with 285's on them, yet those kids did not show up. You called into question the number of byes and how the host team could not guarantee a spot for an extra kid. If every team submitted rosters with a 285 that have one, it is clear to see how no such promises can be made as far as getting a kid entered. Go look at the bracket. In it's current state, there is a high possibility that a pigtailed wrestler would have more than 5 matches to place, thus resulting in forfeits or a one day tourney becoming a 2 day tourney. Byes are very important because of the 5 match rule. You can't "pigtail as many matches as needed" because we have rules that must be followed.

I accused no one of anything, i only spoke about rumors. No south results in question. The "clock shenanigans" i mentioned was in regards to the tower clocks Ravenswood was going to use being redistributed for South at the last minute. Again, these are rumors that should be taken with a grain of salt. Only those involved directly know the truth. But it seems in your posts you were criticizing the JCI for not including south, and it seems your "problem of the adults" quote was directed as such. It seems difficult to cast blame on the JCI host/director knowing the logistical information i and the comment above me posted.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:40 pm

I will admit that in my sleep last night I did think about the 5 match limit. If I was the tournament director I merely would have pointed that out to those being pigtailed. If the very unlikely event occurred where a pigtailed wrestler lost the first match and was able to come back through the consolation round to a placement, they would just have to forfeit. Better to have wrestled 5 matches and go 4-1 than to set at home. My feeling is that it is just high school wrestling. It's supposed to be about the fun of wrestling and for the kids. I'm not out there putting out the effort to run a tournament or to coach a team. So I'm not trying to bad mouth anybody. I just always try to make things work out for everybody.

The rumor is that you merely alluded to the rumors to spread more bad rumors. I'm just kidding, but seriously, why post rumors and innuendos that can be misinterpretted if that isn't the intent or you are truly against rumors. I'm not trying to bad mouth you either, but it's easy enough to be misunderstood (like you misunderstood me) when you just deal with facts and figures.

Return to “High School Wrestling”