State of AAA 106 Address

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

State of AAA 106 Address

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Current status of AAA 106: 14 wrestlers, 3 schools in question and 12 forfeits.

REGION 1

Brooke: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buckhannon-Upshur: Wilson
John Marshall: Tschappat
Morgantown: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!
Preston: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
University: Hostutler
Wheeling Park: Taggart

Region 1 Summary: Four men enter, four men go to the state tournament

REGION 2

Hampshire: Elmer
Hedgesville: Miller
Jefferson: Laws
Martinsburg: Tachoir
Musselman: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spring Mills: Dolan
Washington: ???????NO SCORES???????????

Region 2 Summary: Somebody will make history by being the 5th place winner and getting slotted into the state tournament to fill a bye. The question now is which bye does he fill?

REGION 3

Capital: ???????????NO SCORES???????????
George Washington: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greenbrier East: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Princeton: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Riverside: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
South Charleston: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
St. Albans: Edens
Woodrow Wilson: ????????????NO SCORES?????????????

Region 3 Summary: If St. Albans’ Edens makes weight, he is declared regional champion.

REGION 4

Cabell Midland: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Huntington High: Lyles
Hurricane: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parkersburg High: Cantwell
Parkersburg South: Miller
Ripley: Matson
Spring Valley: FORFEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Region 4 Summary: One woman and three men enter, one woman and three men go to the state tournament.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Monarch1996

Re: State of AAA 106 Address

Postby Monarch1996 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Ouch. I remember that one of the reasons they changed the weight limits (103 becoming 106, etc) was to gain participants, that is, that the weights would distribute more evenly. This doesn't seem to be the case in WV. Do you think this is symptomatic of something different? In other words, is the participation in the middle schools and clubs slipping, since most 106 kids are among the youngest on the team (not exclusively, I know)?

I will be honest; I pay attention to JM's lineup most exclusively since I'm an alum along with knowing who the top kids are in the more prominent schools (South, PHS, Park, Ripley, among a few others), so I hadn't paid attention to the dipping numbers. I will say, though, that I work at the OVAC most years and have seen more and more byes as the years move along, even in the 145 pound range. Participation seems to be dwindling overall, at least in West Virginia. It is sad, too, since ours is--in my opinion--the best sport to participate in for so many reasons.

wrestlingfan24

Postby wrestlingfan24 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:51 am

George Washington has a 113

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:51 pm

After further recon, the current evidence provides the following:

29 AAA Schools

16 Names for wrestlers accounted for at 106.
13 Forfeits thus far.

I think we can all agree that wrestling provides the best opportunity for a smaller athlete to be successful.

Good luck everybody!

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:44 pm

3 teams with no scores reported! Come on, give your wrestlers some exposure coaches! Get those scores turned in!
Moderator WV Mat

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:29 am

Instead of adjusting weight classes, allow middle school age kids to compete for their high school teams. Just spit balling here.

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:38 am

Not going to mention the school or the wrestlers name, but I was talking with a coach over the weekend from Region 3 in AAA. He has a wrestler that has won a total of 3 matches over the last three years (not counting forfeits) but is also a two time State Tournament Qualifier. This just didn't set with me well. I know its not the coaches or wrestlers fault but you have quality kids every year not qualify for the state tournament because of the region/competition they must face at regionals and then you have wrestlers like this who only win 1-2 matches a year and qualifies for the State Tournament due to lack of wrestlers in their region. I know the SSAC has regions because they want "regional" representation at the state tournament but something has got to be done. Geeze

SpudSlayer

Postby SpudSlayer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am

Then this begs the question: Does HS do away with 106? Is this a national trend of just WV? College has 10 weight classes, starting at 125. Does HS go to 12 (or 10)? Would this increase participation or just numbers within weight classes?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:01 pm

uknowme wrote:Not going to mention the school or the wrestlers name, but I was talking with a coach over the weekend from Region 3 in AAA. He has a wrestler that has won a total of 3 matches over the last three years (not counting forfeits) but is also a two time State Tournament Qualifier. This just didn't set with me well. I know its not the coaches or wrestlers fault but you have quality kids every year not qualify for the state tournament because of the region/competition they must face at regionals and then you have wrestlers like this who only win 1-2 matches a year and qualifies for the State Tournament due to lack of wrestlers in their region. I know the SSAC has regions because they want "regional" representation at the state tournament but something has got to be done. Geeze

You are correct. The forum has talked about this ever since the regional realignment two seasons ago. At least now the "word on the street" is that regional 5th place winners are going to be used to fill byes at the state tournament. Regarding 106, we may not have any 5th place winners to use.

Maybe it is time for the WVSSAC, the coaches' committee, the principals and the Hall of Famers to think about letting the JV into the regional tournaments. Let them wrestle. If they win, they qualify for the state tournament. If they lose, they stay home. The wrestling community is too worried about team points. Maybe the wrestling community better start worrying about team only. Team as in "does our school have one?"

Look at the results of the Jackson County Invitational and the Superior Photo Tournament (Have to look on Trackwrestling). There were many JV wrestlers that got to compete and PLACED!!!!! We must stop and think that without these JVs competing, both tournaments would have been lame due to lacking bodies to fill the brackets.

The regional tournaments are becoming lame!!!!!!!!

Lets not forget what happened to Buffalo High School's wrestling team this season.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:09 pm

SpudSlayer wrote:Then this begs the question: Does HS do away with 106? Is this a national trend of just WV? College has 10 weight classes, starting at 125. Does HS go to 12 (or 10)? Would this increase participation or just numbers within weight classes?

Reducing weight classes is not a good idea. AAA has 16 wrestlers at 106. These 16 student athletes have an opportunity to accomplish something. I doubt any 106 pound kid is going to shake things up in football or basketball. In addition, 106 seems to be the popular weight class for the girls.

As for college, they need to add a 220 weight class. That is the dumbest thing about college wrestling. To expect a young man to jump from 197 to 285 and still be able to compete is crazy. To expect a solid 220lb high school wrestler to figure out which college weight class to wrestle (197 vs 285) is also ridiculous. Lets not muddy the waters with a sudden focus on Kyle Snyder. Lets focus on the difficult many 197s have with only having practice partners that are 184 or 285.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 pm

SpudSlayer wrote:Then this begs the question: Does HS do away with 106? Is this a national trend of just WV? College has 10 weight classes, starting at 125. Does HS go to 12 (or 10)? Would this increase participation or just numbers within weight classes?

I don't think decreasing the # of weight classes is the answer.

Think about the numbers in middle school and caliber of competition. Middle School is very weak in relation to High school and numbers are down there. Numbers are still up in youth. Why the sudden drop off in middle school? Kids don't feel like it's worth their time in a lot of the state. Give them an opportunity to win a spot on the HS team and compete for not 4 State titles but a possible 6 state titles. If they are capable of winning a spot on the HS team then let them try. I say add a 98# class. I realize that the bigger kids may or may not be able to win a starting roll on the HS team but there will always be exceptions. Braxton Amos comes to mind for that. But at 98, 106, 113, 120 and possibly even 126, there will be a lot of kids wanting to win that spot. It might just encourage some more participation in middle school as well and help build numbers for the high school. I know several other states allow it and it seems to help.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

Reducing weight classes is not a good idea. AAA has 16 wrestlers at 106. These 16 student athletes have an opportunity to accomplish something. I doubt any 106 pound kid is going to shake things up in football or basketball. In addition, 106 seems to be the popular weight class for the girls.

As for college, they need to add a 220 weight class. That is the dumbest thing about college wrestling. To expect a young man to jump from 197 to 285 and still be able to compete is crazy. To expect a solid 220lb high school wrestler to figure out which college weight class to wrestle (197 vs 285) is also ridiculous. Lets not muddy the waters with a sudden focus on Kyle Snyder. Lets focus on the difficulty many 197s have with only having practice partners that are 184 or 285.

SpudSlayer

Postby SpudSlayer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

As for college, they need to add a 220 weight class. That is the dumbest thing about college wrestling. To expect a young man to jump from 197 to 285 and still be able to compete is crazy. To expect a solid 220lb high school wrestler to figure out which college weight class to wrestle (197 vs 285) is also ridiculous. Lets not muddy the waters with a sudden focus on Kyle Snyder. Lets focus on the difficult many 197s have with only having practice partners that are 184 or 285.

Ok, I don’t disagree with participation of kids, and it does give smaller/lighter kids a sport they can do with other kids their size. Kids just seem to be getting bigger, and some school are finding it tougher to get 106/113 kids to come out. Starting at 113 (or 110?) might be a solution if it increases the pool of kids available. And I wholeheartedly agree with college needing a 220/235 class. NCWA has a 235 class, and that helped my son his first two years be more competitive when he could wrestle those guys instead of kids who had to cut to make 285. But NAIA and above won’t consider it as yet.

SpudSlayer

Postby SpudSlayer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:48 pm

mike.carman wrote:

Think about the numbers in middle school and caliber of competition. Middle School is very weak in relation to High school and numbers are down there. Numbers are still up in youth. Why the sudden drop off in middle school? Kids don't feel like it's worth their time in a lot of the state. Give them an opportunity to win a spot on the HS team and compete for not 4 State titles but a possible 6 state titles. If they are capable of winning a spot on the HS team then let them try. I say add a 98# class. I realize that the bigger kids may or may not be able to win a starting roll on the HS team but there will always be exceptions. Braxton Amos comes to mind for that. But at 98, 106, 113, 120 and possibly even 126, there will be a lot of kids wanting to win that spot. It might just encourage some more participation in middle school as well and help build numbers for the high school. I know several other states allow it and it seems to help.

All good points, and if adding a lighter weight would help I’m all for it. I was looking at it from the other perspective of reducing the number of weights to increase the pool of kids available in fewer weights. But that lowers the number of spots available in duals also. It’s tough overcoming kids saying they are “focusing on football” or just quitting because “wrestling is hard”...

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:08 pm

mike.carmen, Your mention of middle school wrestlers being allowed to compete on the high school varsity may be a good result. I have had a few 7th/8th graders that could have started on my varsity teams. We wrestled a team out of Kentucky one year at the WV Army Duals and they had a 7th grader to win all his duals versus varsity competition. Correct me if I'm wrong but WV has 8 semesters of eligibility for athletes to compete, Ky has 12.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:57 pm

coach_stump wrote:mike.carmen, Your mention of middle school wrestlers being allowed to compete on the high school varsity may be a good result. I have had a few 7th/8th graders that could have started on my varsity teams. We wrestled a team out of Kentucky one year at the WV Army Duals and they had a 7th grader to win all his duals versus varsity competition. Correct me if I'm wrong but WV has 8 semesters of eligibility for athletes to compete, Ky has 12.

Lived in Kentucky for a few years prior to moving here, they have alot of 7th and 8th grades competing and have been successful. They actually allow them to compete both high school and middle at the same time, rotating which events and as schedule allows.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 am

SpudSlayer wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

All good points, and if adding a lighter weight would help I’m all for it. I was looking at it from the other perspective of reducing the number of weights to increase the pool of kids available in fewer weights. But that lowers the number of spots available in duals also. It’s tough overcoming kids saying they are “focusing on football” or just quitting because “wrestling is hard”...

They quit because they are soft and undisciplined. That is because we as parents have allowed them to be that way. I refer to the post "Winter Advisory Snowflakes Accumulating" Also, they quit because we have allowed them to quit. Whatever happened to if you start something you finish it. Also, for some reason, everyone thinks they are going to be a D1 football player and play in the NFL, you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery. Furthermore, I can't believe that people are so dumb, they can't see the benefits to multi-sport athletes. Wrestling brings so much to the table, especially for football. Point being, kids are soft these days and if they have to work for something, typically, they won't. With that said, wrestling is not for everyone either. But I do think everyone should give it a try.

Pezheadwvu

Postby Pezheadwvu » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:08 am

Capital had a 106 in the Jackson County Invitational. Chris Legg.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 pm

mike.carman wrote:
SpudSlayer wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

They quit because they are soft and undisciplined. That is because we as parents have allowed them to be that way. I refer to the post "Winter Advisory Snowflakes Accumulating" Also, they quit because we have allowed them to quit. Whatever happened to if you start something you finish it. Also, for some reason, everyone thinks they are going to be a D1 football player and play in the NFL, you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery. Furthermore, I can't believe that people are so dumb, they can't see the benefits to multi-sport athletes. Wrestling brings so much to the table, especially for football. Point being, kids are soft these days and if they have to work for something, typically, they won't. With that said, wrestling is not for everyone either. But I do think everyone should give it a try.

I read where Fairmont Senior went undefeated and won the AA State Football Championship. I saw where Zach Frazier was named AA lineman of the year.

We must ask ourselves how does a football player accomplish all of this while wrestling during the winter months?

Campion

Postby Campion » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:32 pm

With a state as small as West Virginia, I would have athletes compete across classes for individual sports championships. Yes, getting to the podium will be much harder but the reward will also be greater. You could still have a mechanism to award teams at their class level. There are various options that would accommodate this.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Campion wrote:With a state as small as West Virginia, I would have athletes compete across classes for individual sports championships. Yes, getting to the podium will be much harder but the reward will also be greater. You could still have a mechanism to award teams at their class level. There are various options that would accommodate this.

Been saying this for a couple of years now. Falls on deaf ears.

Zacsdad

Postby Zacsdad » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:34 pm

Just our luck! We finally fill the 106 spot and it is the region that is "loaded!" :lol:

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:56 pm

A large part of the problem is that half of the schools that were AAA give years ago are AA now.
East Fairmont, Fairmont, Point Pleasant, North Marion, Bridgeport, and Winfield were all AAA within the last 5-10 seasons.
One of two things need to happen, and neither is the elimination of weight classes.
1. Re-define what makes a school AAA (so lower the required enrollment), to bring these traditional AAA schools back up. (There is a reason these schools that were previously AAA dominate AA wrestling)
Or
2. Combine all classes for Wrestling.
sentenceseller

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:19 pm

My thought is that 106 is becoming an almost obsolete weight class anyway. Just look at submitted scores and see how many teams have a 106. Just from recent scores I see that Shady Springs, Indy, Lincoln County, Logan, Mingo Central, Nitro, St. Marys, Liberty Raleigh, Oak Hill, Winfield, Clay, Webster and Lewis have no recent 106 scores reported and I didn't even look at scores earlier than 12/13 or I probably would have found more. All of those are AA or A teams.

It's not that there are no 106s in AAA...there are just no 106s. Merging all classes or taking schools from AA into AAA doesn't fix anything.

106 is a problem because either kids are either eating or just naturally growing past that weight by 9th grade. Our own team only has two wrestlers that are 126 or less out of 23 wrestlers. Finding 106s is becoming a challenge. If this is truly a problem that needs addressed then it needs to be addressed by changing weight class alignments.

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:30 pm

greencrush wrote:A large part of the problem is that half of the schools that were AAA give years ago are AA now.
East Fairmont, Fairmont, Point Pleasant, North Marion, Bridgeport, and Winfield were all AAA within the last 5-10 seasons.
One of two things need to happen, and neither is the elimination of weight classes.
1. Re-define what makes a school AAA (so lower the required enrollment), to bring these traditional AAA schools back up. (There is a reason these schools that were previously AAA dominate AA wrestling)
Or
2. Combine all classes for Wrestling.

Both of these seem to make sense, and the first point--re: E Fairmont, North Marion, etc.--definitely seems to be true. Oak Glen started to dominate when they moved down as well, though that has been longer. I'm guessing that the split classes may have been done with the idea to save the smaller schools in a way--perhaps some kids wouldn't attempt the sport without having a chance, but that's spitballing on my part. Nevertheless, as many others have said, with as small as our state is, it makes zero sense to not have a combined overall title. If you're really worried about the lower class--you can still have a team champion, the OVAC manages this quite well--then do a plus-one for an overall state champ...though I will admit that I don't love that idea. Some of the AA/A fellas would win quite handily and nobody should shirk the challenge.

Return to “High School Wrestling”