New rule regarding out bounds?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Truesouthfaninhunt

New rule regarding out bounds?

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Thought there was a new rule regarding out of bounds ?
If so I dont see much change ..

matcoach90

Re: New rule regarding out bounds?

Postby matcoach90 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:48 am

I've noticed this as well this season compared to last. Many questionable out of bounds calls so far this season regarding the rule.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Thought there was a new rule regarding out of bounds ?
If so I dont see much change ..

Yes there is a new rule, we are getting close to college rules regarding Out of bounds. The problem is that most schools don't have big enough mats. For most mats, there isn't enough space from the out of bounds line to the gym floor or to the circle on another mat being used. It is hard to let wrestling play out on the line with the limited space, so it lies solely on ref's discretion. Everyone has been in favor of the rule changes that allow more wrestling to occur on the line/OoB, but the mat size is currently limiting it.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:28 pm

I have not seen much evidence that the new out of bounds rule is being applied. In fact, I have seen out of bounds called a few times that was not considered out of bounds last year.

popajoe

Postby popajoe » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Two points of contact must be maintained before an out of bounds is called. Either two from the top wrestler or one from each wrestler. Should either point of contact be broken out of bounds is called. That is my understanding. However, if the referee is focusing on the pin or control they may miss the break of contact within inbounds. A second referee to watch points of contact, or just a warm up for regionals and states? I see both sides.

mscoach90

Postby mscoach90 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:05 am

I am probably wrong, but I thought one point of contact in bounds to score a take down and two point of contact in to pin. I believe this is what was stated at the officials meeting that the coaches attend.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Thats not what the rule book states for 2018-19....Rule 5-15-1.
There is no mention of any stipulations for awarding points. I have been to several WV matches and have seen no change in the out of bounds interpretation.
However, I did see the new rule applied in PA at Powerade.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Thats not what the rule book states for 2018-19....Rule 5-15-1.
There is no mention of any stipulations for awarding points. I have been to several WV matches and have seen no change in the out of bounds interpretation.
However, I did see the new rule applied in PA at Powerade.

New inbounds rule for 2018-19

5-15-1, 5-15-2, 5-15-3: A wrestler is now inbounds if two supporting points of either wrestler are inside or on the boundary line. This could be two supporting points of one wrestler or one supporting point of each wrestler.

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-co ... s-2018-19/

I have been seeing out of bounds called when one wrestler had both feet AND knees inbounds.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:53 am

I will again point out that the size of the mat is the biggest driving factor here. Kind of hard to allow wrestling at the edge when a wrestler can have one shoulder in bounds and the other on the gym floor because the mats are so small. I have seen plenty of matches in WV in which refs have followed the new rule. I have even seen matches where refs utilize the new rule even though the wrestlers are partially in the circle of another mat entirely (should be called out of bounds). Before everyone starts complaining about referees, fix the problem of these small mats.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:53 pm

JustSomeone wrote:I will again point out that the size of the mat is the biggest driving factor here. Kind of hard to allow wrestling at the edge when a wrestler can have one shoulder in bounds and the other on the gym floor because the mats are so small. I have seen plenty of matches in WV in which refs have followed the new rule. I have even seen matches where refs utilize the new rule even though the wrestlers are partially in the circle of another mat entirely (should be called out of bounds). Before everyone starts complaining about referees, fix the problem of these small mats.

I re-read that rule and by golly you are correct! In the fine print it clearly states: “ the new guidelines as outlined shall not apply in WV, where notoriously small mats are in use”.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:22 am

JustSomeone wrote:I will again point out that the size of the mat is the biggest driving factor here. Kind of hard to allow wrestling at the edge when a wrestler can have one shoulder in bounds and the other on the gym floor because the mats are so small. I have seen plenty of matches in WV in which refs have followed the new rule. I have even seen matches where refs utilize the new rule even though the wrestlers are partially in the circle of another mat entirely (should be called out of bounds). Before everyone starts complaining about referees, fix the problem of these small mats.

I have not complained one bit about the refs. The simple fact is it takes time for refs to adapt to a new rule change. I am simply stating that early in the season, I have seen more out-of-bounds calls based on the old rules than the new rules.

Just this weekend we had a ref call out of bounds on a takedown that he should have awarded back points on and he outright admitted that he messed up. I respect that. I would rather have him ref our matches than a ref that screws up and refuses to admit me messed up when everyone can see he messed up.

Return to “High School Wrestling”