Musselman Duals or National Guard Duals?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Ryan Mackin OMHS

Musselman Duals or National Guard Duals?

Postby Ryan Mackin OMHS » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:08 pm

Is there a big competition gap between the two events? I’m going to look into bringing a team from Maryland into one if we can get in. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

mscoach64

Re: Musselman Duals or National Guard Duals?

Postby mscoach64 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:39 pm

dont know anything about the Musselman Duals, but i know the National Guard Duals has some competition

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:14 am

My .02 pennies is the Nat Guard Duals is the place to be. There is usually at least 25 teams there and in spite of the "best WV teams" deciding to wrestle out of state or elsewhere, the competition is always very high. I have been attending NG Duals since my oldest son wrestled back in the mid 2000s and I love this meet. It would be great to add a MD team to the mix. We would love to have you and hope you land in our pool.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:10 am

coach_williams wrote:My .02 pennies is the Nat Guard Duals is the place to be. There is usually at least 25 teams there and in spite of the "best WV teams" deciding to wrestle out of state or elsewhere, the competition is always very high.

Wow Coach Williams Happy New Year!
Coach since you went out of your way to criticize the schedule of some schools I have to ask, are you saying that if the best teams in wv came to NG Duals your team would be happy about it? Would you continue to attend? Your wrestling schedule looks like it is designed to build confidence and great individual/team records. There’s nothing wrong with that if that is your goal but let’s be honest, it has not worked out well in February.
To illustrate your failed point here’s where some of the best teams are:
Point is out of state. Just wrestled at Wheeling Park duals. Lots of good in and out of state competition there. Where was Braxton County?

Parkersburg Ripley spring valley and university are together that weekend.

South hosts its own tournament.

East Fairmont is with Cameron but went to Wheeling Park Duals last week and in another week or so will be back for winners choice (another local tournament with great competition, Braxton County there?)

Wirt, Indy, and Greenbrier West are at the NG tournament, they’re very good teams with tradition superior to yours.

If the wvssac schedules are correct some of the “best wv teams” have weigh ins available, maybe you can set something up?

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:55 pm

dont know anything about challenging someone's schedule strength, but if there are teams with weigh in's available, the Bob Stover is looking for a few teams

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Studcradle wrote:
coach_williams wrote:My .02 pennies is the Nat Guard Duals is the place to be. There is usually at least 25 teams there and in spite of the "best WV teams" deciding to wrestle out of state or elsewhere, the competition is always very high.

Coach since you went out of your way to criticize the schedule of some schools I have to ask, are you saying that if the best teams in wv came to NG Duals your team would be happy about it? Would you continue to attend? Your wrestling schedule looks like it is designed to build confidence and great individual/team records. There’s nothing wrong with that if that is your goal but let’s be honest, it has not worked out well in February.
Point is out of state. Just wrestled at Wheeling Park duals. Lots of good in and out of state competition there. Where was Braxton County?

East Fairmont is with Cameron but went to Wheeling Park Duals last week and in another week or so will be back for winners choice (another local tournament with great competition, Braxton County there?)

Wirt, Indy, and Greenbrier West are at the NG tournament, they’re very good teams with tradition superior to yours.

If the wvssac schedules are correct some of the “best wv teams” have weigh ins available, maybe you can set something up?
i seriously do not think Coach Williams was questioning schedule strength with this post. However, you did take the time to not only criticize him but also his school. You may just simply owe the man and the school an apology.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:45 pm

Studcradle wrote:

I neither went out of my way nor did I criticize anyone's schedule (like you did), but thanks for the hostility.

rodneyjwv

Postby rodneyjwv » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am

with the sensitivity of today, it is almost impossible to make a comment!

I must say if I read the comment "in spite of the "best of Wv" deciding to wrestle out of state somewhere" I could easily come to the conclusion that your stabbing or poking at "best of WV" in your comment. If that isn't your intentions, I suggest maybe you reword the comment.

Studcradle as always, your Keeping it Real! Remember though, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!

You can share the methods of success you followed, doesn't mean the folks reading it will take it for what it is. Unfortunately most who read your comments get angry, they only see arrogance. I read between the line myself.

Coach Williams is correct in his statement, the NG Tournament is a competitive event. There will be some great Wrestlin happening.

Studcradle yes the State's Powerhouse teams wrestle out of state in preparation for the State Tournament, that is why they are Powerhouses. Yes if you practice and wrestle with the best in the country you're going to get better. Unfortunately again not all programs can afford to travel out of state for the competition.

I am blessed to have been born in Wrestling WV(Parkersburg). We have great feeder programs for our middle and high school teams. We have multiple traveling teams at the youth level, mostly all coached by alumni from either South or PHS.
Yes South has 8-10 coaches, PHS has 6. I hope people understand that these young men well, not all young do this for FREE.
They pay back to the program that help build them into great men and women they have become.
I must say I am frustrated by some of the comments made on this forum, with that said, I also understand that there are two sides to every story. Context and perspective are generally personal, I try my best to understand that in all that I read. I am not saying I am capable of gaining the correct position, just saying I'm Trying!
Rodney James
HS Wrestling Fan GO SOUTH!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:26 pm

My "best WV teams" comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Some people just wear their singlet to tight and get worked up over everything. If anyone took the time to read my posts they would know I never talk down any team. If you knew me personally then you would know I actually speak quite highly of PSouth and what they are doing there. People really need to take a deep breath and relax. Life is too short to constantly walk around with a chip on your shoulder looking for an excuse to flip out on someone.

Return to “High School Wrestling”