OVAC Tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
KDunbar

OVAC Tournament

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Based on current OVAeC.org rankings,
Team scoring predictions:
1st : Beaver Local 116 points
2nd : Steubenville 105 points
3rd : Parkersburg South 98 points
Should be a barn burner!!

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: OVAC Tournament

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 pm

South will win by at least 30

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:24 pm

Sean, when will the OVAC seeds be out?
Moderator WV Mat

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Gator wrote:Sean, when will the OVAC seeds be out?

I could be wrong, but I think they do the seeding this coming weekend...as I recall, that's when it's normally done. What's weird is that they now seed up to 12 guys, though the tournament places 8...my HS coach told me it has to do with some coaches pulling guys out of being seeded so they can sort of "select" where they are in the bracket, trying to put a stop to that...or, that's my memory of it. Please don't take that as gospel, as it was a conversation we had a few years ago.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Monarch1996 wrote:
Gator wrote:Sean, when will the OVAC seeds be out?

I could be wrong, but I think they do the seeding this coming weekend...as I recall, that's when it's normally done. What's weird is that they now seed up to 12 guys, though the tournament places 8...my HS coach told me it has to do with some coaches pulling guys out of being seeded so they can sort of "select" where they are in the bracket, trying to put a stop to that...or, that's my memory of it. Please don't take that as gospel, as it was a conversation we had a few years ago.

Thanks for the insight. They usually do a pretty good job of seeding the tournament. Smitty keeps up on things pretty well and knows the wrestlers well. Should be a good one!
Moderator WV Mat

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:54 am

I agree with my cousin Truesouthfaninhunt; South will win, but I think it will be a little closer. I met his nephew (Wade Smith) at the South Classic. From what I found on here, he is 17-1 with 11 pins. That's the best record on the JV team. He should be a placer at next years State Tournament.

shaggy71

Postby shaggy71 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Yes the seeding meeting is this Sunday at 830, The press conference follows at Generations in wheeling at 6 that when they relese the seeds and brackets.

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Wade has a 15-2 varsity level record (9 pins), and a 22-2 record (15 pins) overall, which includes exhibitions and JV-level matches such as the PowerAde tournament. :)

Looking forward to this year's OVAC. Due to helping Doc out some, I'm behind on my notes for the OVAC writeups, but I'll get them caught up. Should be a fun weekend next weekend!

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:12 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:I agree with my cousin Truesouthfaninhunt; South will win, but I think it will be a little closer. I met his nephew (Wade Smith) at the South Classic. From what I found on here, he is 17-1 with 11 pins. That's the best record on the JV team. He should be a placer at next years State Tournament.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if South didn't win. It seems the top four are likely South, Beaver, Steubenville, and Park, in no particular order. I suppose one way to predict, after the seeds, is to find the likely champions and work back from there. The two upperweights, for example, I think are clearly for PSHS and OVAEC's rankings have been in flux over the season (170 seems to have changed quite a bit). I have my own predictions on champions, but would be hard pressed to argue any of them, apart from Haga and Amos...primarily because I have not seen anything in person this year (apart from Ohio State and NC State).

I'll be there, with the family, working a mat as usual. If we happen to run into each other, be sure to say hello.

Return to “High School Wrestling”