OVAC "Ron Mauck" Wrestling Championships

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
shaggy71

OVAC "Ron Mauck" Wrestling Championships

Postby shaggy71 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:32 pm

www.OVAeC.org

Thoughts!

Monarch1996

Re: OVAC "Ron Mauck" Wrestling Championships

Postby Monarch1996 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Thoughts? Always my favorite tournament to attend. I have always thought it is incredibly well run and enjoy my interactions with officials and coaches there. The upside of working a mat is that you're very close to the action. The downside is that you're limited to basically only seeing that action (if you're doing your job well and not letting your eye wander...which is very hard at times). Still, most of the kids are extremely polite and we have only had difficulties with one individual over the years--and I'm told it was dealt with, even though we did not say anything at the time (I guess and official noticed). Plus, this is what got my family interested in the sport, even if my boys do not actually wrestle.

As for the brackets...it is somewhat sad to see so many open spots in a couple weights. I have my picks for champions, though I suppose I go mostly "chalk," even if I know that there are numerous upsets all through the bracket. I think the surest bet is Amos, followed by Haga. I'm interested in seeing a couple matchups, particularly 1 vs 2 at 182.

My guess for top teams:
South
Steubenville
Beaver
Park.

I'm willing to bet it would be hard not to give the Bierkortte (sp?) award to Amos, if he repeats what he did last year.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 am

Best tourney in the State by far.. south by 30

shaggy71

Postby shaggy71 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:33 am

Write up by Josh Lowe

Seeds have already been posted/determined with preliminary brackets out there.

106 - returning state qualifier Overly (Shenandoah) is the top seed

113 - state qualifier Williams (East Liverpool) has dropped to this weight class, and is the top seed; state qualifier Niswonger (Caldwell) is the fifth seed. Emmerling (Beaver Local), seeded 7th, is the best Ohio kid in the bottom half.

120 - the freshman Ours (Beaver Local) is the top seed. state alternate Bonfini (Bellaire) is the eight seed. two-time state alternate Gatrell (Meadowbrook) has dropped here and is the three seed. state alternate Kish (St. Clarisville) is the two seed.
Ours should win the weight, I'm interested to see how Gatrell and Kish match against each other, Mish should win, and then Kish v Ours. With Masters, Brown, and Warrington here outside the OVAC at the district level in D2 (plus possibly Kellar - if he doesn't stay 126), I'm not sure why Gatrell is dropping.

126 - 2x state runner-up McComas (Beaver Local) is the top seed. state runner-up Windland (Pk. South WV) is the four. state champ Staud (University WV) is the three. multi-time state medalist Blasko (Steubenville) is the two. this should come down to McComas v Blasko with McComas winning.

132 - state medalist Simpson (University WV) is the top seed. state qualifier Johnson (Richmond Edison) is the five seed. state placer Palmer (Buckeye Local) is the four seed. On the lower half-bracket, it's state qualifier T. Muldrew (Steubenville) and Potts (Beaver Local) as the two and three seeds.

138 - two-time state champ Hall (Oak Glen WV) is the top seed and a national caliber kid, Super 32 placer has been in and out of the rankings this year (a sub-par Ironman precludes him from a higher ranking). fellow state champ Quiocho (Parkersburg South WV) is the fourth seed. state qualifiers Wright (Beaver Local) and Wiley (Caldwell) are seeded third and sixth with multi-time state medalist Jacson Muldrew (Steubenville) seeded second. Look for Hall over Muldrew on Saturday night.

145 - state champ Roberts (Parkersburg South WV) is the top seed, he had a great Powerade, a performance above what his Super 32 and Ironman would have suggested. The four seed Shelek (Wheeling Park WV) isn't bad, but Roberts is the clear favorite in the upper half. Down in the lower half, state champ Cook (Madonna WV) and two-time state medalist Lasure (Beaver Local) are headed toward a semifinal clash, one I would favor Cook to win.

152 - two-time state placer Rice (Steubenville) is the top seed, 2017 state champ Shamblin (Parkersburg South WV) is the four seed, but it's a side Rice should easily clear. Krulik (Beaver Local) is the two seeed. This is a weight that is Rice's for the clear taking.

160 - state champ Hinzman (Parkersburg South WV) is the top seed. state qualifier Pappas (Steubenville) is the four seed. state qualifier Kuneff (Bridgeport) is the three seed. impact freshman Severs (Beaver Local) is the top seed. Hinzman had three wins at the Super 32 competing down at 152, including 2-1 over Munguia in consolation.

170 - state placer Smith (Beaver Local) is the top seed. the freshman Kinney (Steubenville) is the fourth seed. state medalist Kusic (Bridgeport) is the second seed. Should be Smith v Kusic come Saturday night

182 - state runner-up Carman (John Marshall) is the top seed, he was runner-up in a strong North Canton bracket last month losing just to Nijenhuis; at Super 32 he was a match away from placing (beat Gorring/PA and Andrew/FL, losing to Foca/NJ and Deprez/NY). He is the clear favorite to win. Not sure how state qualifier McFarland (Martins Ferry) is the 11 seed, but he is; Clouse (Barnesville) is the three seed. state alternate Wiley (Caldwell) is the ten seed, state qualifier Tuttle (Steubenville) is the two seed.

195 - State medalist Garrett Cook (Madonna VA) is the top seed. State qualifier Dobson (Martins Ferry) is the five seed. State alternate Bodnar (Steubenville) is the three seed. District placer S. Lowe (Southern Local) is the seven seed.

220 - Let me spare you overkill, Braxton Amos (Parkersburg South WV) is here and the one seed. The question isn't if he'll win, the question is if he competes for six minutes during the tournament in aggregate. Wooley (East Liverpool) is the four seed. North Canton champ Wood (Wheeling Park WV) is the three seed.

285 - three-time state runner-up Haga (Parkersburg South WV) has been in & out of the national rankings all season. He's the top seed and favorite here. Distirct placer Wirth (Beaver Local) is the two seed.

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Best tourney in the State by far.. south by 30

I like the confidence. South has a good shot at repeating as champs.

I am thinking it will be a closer team race though with a possible new team champion looking at seeds and bracket positions.

Should be a great tournament! Safe travels by all.

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Best tourney in the State by far.. south by 30

Yeah, they'll win it going away. Beaver is tough this year as is Steubenville, but I don't think South loses..perhaps not as huge of a margin as last year, but a comfortable win.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:27 pm

As a fan of high school wrestling, I think this years team competition should be interesting. As a fan of South, I don't see this as anywhere close to a sure thing. I'm not complaining in the least about the brackets, but I think South has an uphill battle give the pairings. This tournament will have nothing to do with how your top five or so guys do. They will likely do as expected. It will be determined by the rest of the team and bonus points I believe.

shaggy71

Postby shaggy71 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:02 pm

OVAC Time changes Session 4 on Saturday @ 11AM and Session 5 (Finals) will start @ 3:30

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:33 am

Beaver Local 162
Parkersburg South 150
Steubenville 136.5

Team race is a good one!

shaggy71

Postby shaggy71 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:36 am

(Finals/Cons)
Beaver Local 162 (10/2)
Parkersburg South 150 (8/1)
Steubenville 136.5 (7/3)
Wheeling Park 122 (4/6)

Semi Finals
729 1 Alex Overly (SHEN) vs. 4 Carl Cochran (JM)
730 6 Griffen Stephen (BARN) vs. 2 Jaymin Salsberry (BVL)
731 1 Howard Williams (EL) vs. 5 Marshal Niswonger (CALD)
732 3 Shawn Moore (OG) vs. 2 Jace Stockett (UNIV)
733 1 Logan Ours (BVL) vs. 4 Brayden Johnson (PS)
734 3 Terry Gatrell (MEAD) vs. 2 Koen Kish (STC)
735 1 Cole McComas (BVL) vs. 4 Tucker Windland (PS)
736 3 Jake Staud (UNIV) vs. 2 Peyton Blasko (STEUB)
737 1 Jacob Simpson (UNIV) vs. 4 Brian Palmer Jr. (BL)
738 3 Jonathan Potts (BVL) vs. 2 Tyler Muldrew (STEUB)
739 1 Peyton Hall (OG) vs. 4 Gavin Quiocho (PS)
740 3 Jared Wright (BVL) vs. 2 Jacson Muldrew (STEUB)
741 1 Brayden Roberts (PS) vs. 4 Andrew Shelek (WP)
742 3 Skyler Lasure (BVL) vs. 2 Alec Cook (MAD)
743 1 Anthony Rice (STEUB) vs. 4 Mikey Shamblin (PS)
744 3 Billy Gooch (WP) vs. 2 Logan Krulik (BVL)
745 1 Zane Hinzman (PS) vs. 4 Ethan Pappas (STEUB)
746 3 Mason Kuneff (BPT) vs. 2 Brenden Severs (BVL)
747 1 Beau Smith (BVL) vs. 5 Jeremiah Timberlake (WP)
748 6 Jacob Berisford (JM) vs. 2 Santino Kusic (BPT)
749 1 Anthony Carman (JM) vs. 12 Blayne Erwin (HC)
750 3 Brylan Clouse (BARN) vs. 2 David Tuttle (STEUB)
751 1 Garrett Cook (MAD) vs. 5 Drake Dobson (MF)
752 3 Keith Bodnar (STEUB) vs. 2 Donavan Kirby (WEIR)
753 1 Braxton Amos (PS) vs. 5 Justice McCamick (STC)
754 3 Dylan Wood (WP) vs. 2 Bradlee Clark (JM)
755 1 Louden Haga (PS) vs. 5 Easton Hitchens (SHEN)
756 11 Mikey Hamrick (MAG) vs. 2 Daniel Wirth (BVL)

757 5 Jarrett Stillion (MEAD) vs. 11 Camden Barr (OG)
758 7 Cody Taggart (WP) vs. 3 Danny Yost (BRK)
759 4 Nate Shelek (WP) vs. 9 Gabe Carman (JM)
760 7 Mark Emmerling Jr. (BVL) vs. 6 Devin Easton (PS)
761 5 Matthew Simpson (UNIV) vs. 9 Maison Richardson (WP)
762 8 Joseph Bonfini (BELL) vs. 7 Ethan Gray (JM)
763 10 Jason Tice (WELL) vs. 9 Aubrey Antill (CAMB)
764 7 Wyatt Conley (WEIR) vs. 6 Derek Houser (CV)
765 5 Hayden Johnson (ED) vs. 8 Caden Stout (STC)
766 10 Austin Love (JM) vs. 9 Canon Welker (WP)
767 5 Stevie Mitchell (WP) vs. 11 Garrett Dozier (TOR)
768 12 Austin DaRe (STC) vs. 6 Collin Wiley (CALD)
769 5 Jonathan Creese (OG) vs. 6 Zane Minella (STEUB)
770 7 Christopher Helms (WEIR) vs. 11 Justin Sarge (WELL)
771 5 Dylan Milhoan (SL) vs. 11 Cooper Kerns (CAMB)
772 7 Braeden Pauley (UNIV) vs. 6 Mitch Wukelic (IC)
773 12 Reese Wills (WEIR) vs. 9 Max Camilletti (BRK)
774 7 Hunter Nixon (WP) vs. 6 Cody Albaugh (BELL)
775 4 Brandon Kinney (STEUB) vs. 9 Reese Skaggs (STC)
776 7 Charles Smith (BL) vs. 3 Ian Bush (CAM)
777 4 James Stillwagoner (MAG) vs. 11 Richard McFarland (MF)
778 Shayne Chrsitian (BL) vs. 6 Hunter Morris (SL)
779 4 Derek Witsberger (STC) vs. 6 Jermain Snodgrass (WP)
780 7 Sam Lowe (SL) vs. 11 Josh Croft (HC)
781 4 Skylor Wooley (EL) vs. 8 Zac Cesario (BL)
782 7 Dalton Rice (SHEN) vs. 6 Garrett Givens (BVL)
783 4 Emanual Ware (STEUB) vs. 8 Brady Williams (JM)
784 10 Cody Gamble (HC) vs. 3 Donte Lewis (MF)

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:38 pm

What happen to South at OVAC? Did they under achieve or the other teams just better? Have kids out with flu or weight issues? I find this surprising thought they would claim title again.

russling

Postby russling » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Looks like Beaver Local had a great semis. BVL has a young team so they will be tough for a few years.

Wmc2

Postby Wmc2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 pm

If I’m not mistaken Beaver Local beat south by 60

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Ok .. I, TSFNH was wrong. Beaver very solid from top to bottom.

There was however good and bad about this tourney... mostly good but for Pete’s sake it was 4 hours wrestling the last round! A little heavy on the pomp n circumstance as usual. Thus, kickoff was 35 minutes later than advertised. Advice: why not begin the many accolades at least one half hour before the advertised start of the finals. Granted that makes for less people in seats for the many, many, many awards.. but it is a little much.
TV coverage is great but waiting until TV interviews are over before starting the next match is annoying. Just my opinion.. obviously.
Great venue .. not a bad seat in the house... alllllllthough the 3-4 foot TV scaffolding is a major obstruction for fans on the West side.
Finally:
Referring to a kid as “ a bum “ while around parents/ fans of said kid is a bad idea. It sometimes causes one to become forgetful.
Last edited by Truesouthfaninhunt on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:09 pm

Beaver Local has a solid team. 9 kids in the finals. They wrestled better than all the other teams. No excuses.

Attendance was way down this year. Lots of empty seats. They were calling for bad weather that never hit.

Congrats to BL on their team title.
Moderator WV Mat

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:09 pm

Beaver Local has a solid team. 9 kids in the finals. They wrestled better than all the other teams. No excuses.

Attendance was way down this year. Lots of empty seats. They were calling for bad weather that never hit.

Congrats to BL on their team title.
Moderator WV Mat

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:10 am

Beaver Local, OH appears very solid top to bottom. They ran away with it. They are pretty young too looking at the brackets. I saw South in action earlier in the season. What hurt them was losing quite a few early. That's a shame the venue was emptier. I assumed it'd be packed but maybe the weather kept some people from attending.

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Had I really looked at the brackets, I wouldn't have been so solid on a PSHS win. I will say that they actually gave out some of the awards early due to the oncoming snowstorm. I was grateful, too, as I had mat 1 all weekend (and 5th place Saturday night) and had to make it back to Columbus (it was rather harrowing, to be honest). It was a very smooth tournament from my perspective. Great interactions with everybody.

Probably the most amusing match, for me, was the 220 finals. We had a forfeit for 5th on our mat, so I was able to watch. At some point Amos turned and shook his head at Wood and said something (the St C coach next to me said "oh no...he just poked the bear"). Later, Amos pointed to the center of the mat as if to say "meet me out here." I have no idea what happened, but I got the impression that some words were said...by whom, I don't know.

Peyton Blasko beating Cole McComas was a heck of a match. We only came into play twice--once for a takedown that we affirmed, the other was in the 5th place match for 285 and there seemed to be an escape scored right before clock stopped and I was already nodding my head to affirm...but the referee refused to ask. In fact, he appeared downright mad that we didn't go with him...threw the pencil at us when he signed the score sheet. Sorry to say, but he needed to handle himself better.

Beaver is tough. Logan Ours is a beast.

Had fun once again, already looking forward to next year.
Last edited by Monarch1996 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

technical violation

Postby technical violation » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:09 pm

monarch1996 please check pm

Return to “High School Wrestling”