WSAZ - Land of Opportunity

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

WSAZ - Land of Opportunity

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:41 pm

The WSAZ is the greatest tournament in West Virginia. It is the "wrestling land of opportunity". The tournament director/staff force begin with a 64 man bracket. They open the doors for all to come until 64 men and women are tucked away into a bracket spot.

In my heart of hearts, I truly believe that if somehow a 65th grappler showed up, they would throw in a pigtail and let the kid hit the mat.

The WSAZ had some new schools this season and there are a few WV schools that have ceased coming over recent years. Some schools in attendance this past weekend were without a few of their wrestlers. That happens to all schools from week to week.

The bottom line is Point Pleasant had three 106 pounders finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd. HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED AT THE WSAZ BEFORE?????? I repeat, has there ever been a school to have three wrestlers finish in the top three at the 64 bracket WSAZ??? Was history made????

It is amazing what can happen when opportunities are provided. In this case, it was as simple as "we are letting you wrestle in the tournament, but the rest is up to you".

Someday this "wrestling land of opportunity" will be extended to the regional tournaments. Regional tournament byes will be reduced. The chances of only having to show up, make weight and qualify for the state tournament will be reduced. The best will be in the state tournament. The JV wrestlers will have something to look forward to all season long, thus they will stick around all season.....................and come back for next season.

The WSAZ is all about opportunity and competition. Nobody seems to whine and cry that their wrestlers get knocked off by JV wrestlers, thus hurting their team point standing.

Opportunity, making the most of the opportunity, competition and learning from the results of the competition develops young wrestlers more than anything else.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

proy1276

Re: WSAZ - Land of Opportunity

Postby proy1276 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Very well said... completely agree

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Bearhugger wrote:The WSAZ is the greatest tournament in West Virginia. It is the "wrestling land of opportunity". The tournament director/staff force begin with a 64 man bracket. They open the doors for all to come until 64 men and women are tucked away into a bracket spot.

In my heart of hearts, I truly believe that if somehow a 65th grappler showed up, they would throw in a pigtail and let the kid hit the mat.

The WSAZ had some new schools this season and there are a few WV schools that have ceased coming over recent years. Some schools in attendance this past weekend were without a few of their wrestlers. That happens to all schools from week to week.

The bottom line is Point Pleasant had three 106 pounders finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd. HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED AT THE WSAZ BEFORE?????? I repeat, has there ever been a school to have three wrestlers finish in the top three at the 64 bracket WSAZ??? Was history made????

It is amazing what can happen when opportunities are provided. In this case, it was as simple as "we are letting you wrestle in the tournament, but the rest is up to you".

Someday this "wrestling land of opportunity" will be extended to the regional tournaments. Regional tournament byes will be reduced. The chances of only having to show up, make weight and qualify for the state tournament will be reduced. The best will be in the state tournament. The JV wrestlers will have something to look forward to all season long, thus they will stick around all season.....................and come back for next season.

The WSAZ is all about opportunity and competition. Nobody seems to whine and cry that their wrestlers get knocked off by JV wrestlers, thus hurting their team point standing.

Opportunity, making the most of the opportunity, competition and learning from the results of the competition develops young wrestlers more than anything else.

+1 ! (Excellent post and very true)

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 am

Learning what I have about college wrestling and allowing red shirts and backups to compete in OPENS, I will agree with Bearhugger that WSAZ's is an opportunity for kids to shine. However, in making comparisons between HS and College(NCAA in particular), I have to say that they are similar. There are many tournaments that allow JV wrestlers to compete alongside the varsity wrestlers in WV, but to state that they should be able to attend regional competitions and go to the state tournament is akin to allowing JV and red shirts to compete in conference championships and the NCAA championships. I'm sure there are some JVs and red shirts that can compete and place high in their respective conferences as well as the NCAA finals but it simply isn't allowed.

The NAIA does allow this, however, and is one of their selling points to their recruits. So arguments can be made both ways. I for one, simply feel there are times to allow it and times not to.

With WV being so small in population and wrestling being more of an individual sport, I don't see the need for divisions in WV wrestling in regards to regionals and states. If there were no divisions in wrestling there would be no argument.

Still a good post though.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:48 am

Does it ever end ?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:21 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Does it ever end ?

No. When you have a situation at the WSAZ that happened at 106, why should it end.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”