HS wrestling in WV 2019

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
vortexfan

HS wrestling in WV 2019

Postby vortexfan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:05 am

Just want to touch on this topic, I have noticed fewer attendance, lesser crowds and it seems like more forfeits or no filling weight classes by more teams this year. Not as much competition, Anyone else notice this? Thoughts? Let’s turn it around

Geoswaff

Re: HS wrestling in WV 2019

Postby Geoswaff » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 am

Speaking for Single A teams that I have observed, the teams this year seem to have a lot more wrestlers that in previous years. Our A school with just 240 students was able to field a team of 11 wrestlers. I have seen several other A schools,that a few years ago had no team or typically just a few wrestlers, field bigger and bigger teams.

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:52 am

Not only this, guys that have been quite good seem to be quitting. I know of one who decided to make a major push for a D1 football scholarship (or so I'm told) and others that are worried about getting hurt. What I have noticed is that, at least in tournaments I go to, the top end is very, very good, perhaps 3 to 4 guys, a couple more pretty good, then a whole lot of bad (relatively speaking).

I don't understand why so many are avoiding the sport, the discipline that is given is unreal, and helped form me and I'm sure countless others.

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:56 pm

One other thing I noticed this weekend--there were several schools that have typically fielded teams at the OVAC that did not come this year. Monroe Central, Clay-Batelle, Tyler Consolidated are the ones that come immediately to mind, and it is tough to see some previous powers not do tremendously well...Shadyside (OH) scored zero points. I know that's not WV, but it's right across the river, and it seems to be somewhat indicative.

technical violation

Postby technical violation » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Monarch1996 wrote:One other thing I noticed this weekend--there were several schools that have typically fielded teams at the OVAC that did not come this year. Monroe Central, Clay-Batelle, Tyler Consolidated are the ones that come immediately to mind, and it is tough to see some previous powers not do tremendously well...Shadyside (OH) scored zero points. I know that's not WV, but it's right across the river, and it seems to be somewhat indicative.

Tyler cons. Got out of the ovac a few years ago, I asked someone at the school and what i was told that the A.D moved them citing they would fit better and be more competitive in another confrence, but I think only one coach agreed to the move all the other declined, I don't know if I've ever seen Monroe have more than 3 or 4 kids, and clay batelle has had about the same

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Didn't know that about TC. Monroe was never big, but I seem to remember that they had some decent kids. I know Bishop Moved on a while ago, but they had a ton of good kids--Andy Smith and Josh Giovengo come immediately to mind--over the years. the Ceebees weren't big, but they had just joined. Probably not the best examples, but it stood out to me for whatever reason. River has also died out--but I was told that their pay-to-play price was very steep. Again, not entirely WV schools, but it was interesting to note.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 pm

As far as attendance, every tournament and even our duals/quads have been well attended. Regarding the loss of wrestlers, even talented ones, I think it comes down to kids not wanting to put in the work and sacrifice that’s required for the sport. It’s much easier to sit in your bedroom and play video games all day, hang with your girlfriend or just focus on one sport. Unfortunate yes, but it’s the reality we now live in. I’m so happy that my son participates and excels in football and wrestling. You couldn’t pull him away from either sport. Oh, and our football coaches love that we have wrestlers/football players. I know that topic was discussed recently as well.

Return to “High School Wrestling”