Coalfield Conference

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
MatMom0925

Coalfield Conference

Postby MatMom0925 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Does anyone have any updates on this tournament?

Geoswaff

Re: Coalfield Conference

Postby Geoswaff » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:30 pm

I know Pullens from Fayetteville won 160#beating Toms from Shady in the finals. Truman from Oak Hill beat Dorsey from Greenbrier West in the finals at 170#. Pullens won the MOW award. Sorry don’t know the rest.

MatMom0925

Postby MatMom0925 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:52 am

Geoswaff wrote:I know Pullens from Fayetteville won 160#beating Toms from Shady in the finals. Truman from Oak Hill beat Dorsey from Greenbrier West in the finals at 170#. Pullens won the MOW award. Sorry don’t know the rest.

Thank you!

Iwatchwrestling

Postby Iwatchwrestling » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:23 pm

One thing I love about wrestling is all the Great Sportsmanship that this sport has. But at this tournament Indy really showed their butts. Kids leaving the mat without shaking the opponents coaches hand is uncalled for. Indy kid coming off the podium and smashing their plaque. This is just not a bad reflection on the wrestler but it also is a bad reflection on their coaches, team, school, parents, and community. Please next time show some sportsmanship there are small children that are watching and learning.

wrestleaway

Postby wrestleaway » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:08 am

I could not agree more about the kids from Indy. Very disappointing. I wish there were some sort of penalties that could be given to them. They were rude to the coaches, their opponents and the fans in the stands. If their coaches condone this sort of behavior, I find that very disturbing.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:29 am

Iwatchwrestling wrote:One thing I love...Indy kid... smashing their plaque... there are small children that are watching and learning.

4 out of 5 dentists agree

hollywood

Postby hollywood » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:30 am

i saw one independence wrestler mad after he actually won in the finals. but i believe he was upset he couldnt get bonus points in his win after still controlling the match.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:49 am

Iwatchwrestling wrote:One thing I love about wrestling is all the Great Sportsmanship that this sport has. But at this tournament Indy really showed their butts. Kids leaving the mat without shaking the opponents coaches hand is uncalled for. Indy kid coming off the podium and smashing their plaque. This is just not a bad reflection on the wrestler but it also is a bad reflection on their coaches, team, school, parents, and community. Please next time show some sportsmanship there are small children that are watching and learning.

So your telling me my son Liam showed his butt.
I was there. I didn’t see my son show his butt. If you could explain to me how my son showed his butt.
Frank Lusher

IndyMS_Coach

Postby IndyMS_Coach » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 am

I was also there with my son (an Indy wrestler) and he was on his best behavior. Don’t throw the whole team under the bus because of one kid. One kid smashed his plaque in the parking lot. Yes. In the parking lot. We don’t coach the parking lot. All the other kids were very well behaved. Comments like this... “Indy coaches and wrestlers...” are jealous nonsense. Want to talk about bad behavior? Everyone in the gym - not from independence - roots for any kid we wrestle against. Cheers anytime we lose. That’s awesome sportsmanship. Great fans. More? Our coach nor any of our wrestlers got a single vote for Coach of the Year or Most Outstanding Wrestler. That’s petty nonsense from a bunch of coaches that are tired of losing to Indy. That’s poor sportsmanship. So look In the mirror. We just won Conference with the weakest team we’ve had in a long time. And we have arguably the top middle school team in the state and almost all of them are coming to the high school next year. So maybe try basketball or another winter sport. Cause you’re gonna tired of watching this rerun.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:15 am

hollywood wrote:i saw one independence wrestler mad after he actually won in the finals. but i believe he was upset he couldnt get bonus points in his win after still controlling the match.

It’s hard for some people understand the reactions of a person who puts so much work into their craft. But it is easy in today’s world to see how people hindering under stage names can feel righteous by attacking and criticizing kids.

wrestleaway

Postby wrestleaway » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:39 am

IndyMS_Coach wrote:I was also there with my son (an Indy wrestler) and he was on his best behavior. Don’t throw the whole team under the bus because of one kid. One kid smashed his plaque in the parking lot. Yes. In the parking lot. We don’t coach the parking lot. All the other kids were very well behaved. Comments like this... “Indy coaches and wrestlers...” are jealous nonsense. Want to talk about bad behavior? Everyone in the gym - not from independence - roots for any kid we wrestle against. Cheers anytime we lose. That’s awesome sportsmanship. Great fans. More? Our coach nor any of our wrestlers got a single vote for Coach of the Year or Most Outstanding Wrestler. That’s petty nonsense from a bunch of coaches that are tired of losing to Indy. That’s poor sportsmanship. So look In the mirror. We just won Conference with the weakest team we’ve had in a long time. And we have arguably the top middle school team in the state and almost all of them are coming to the high school next year. So maybe try basketball or another winter sport. Cause you’re gonna tired of watching this rerun.

As a parent from Shady, I can tell you right now, had Greenbrier West been wrestling a full team, I think that tournament would have went very differently. I'd be very careful because you might be eating some crow next year. Indy has some fine wrestlers for sure but if West can get a hold of a full team, there might be some trouble there.

wrestleaway

Postby wrestleaway » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:42 am

Frank wrote:
hollywood wrote:i saw one independence wrestler mad after he actually won in the finals. but i believe he was upset he couldnt get bonus points in his win after still controlling the match.

It’s hard for some people understand the reactions of a person who puts so much work into their craft. But it is easy in today’s world to see how people hindering under stage names can feel righteous by attacking and criticizing kids.

I put hard work into my career every day. I've put out a lot of time and money to go to college and graduate with a master's degree. I understand hard work. However, when something doesn't go my way, I cant throw a temper tantrum because I'll be fired. These are young men (and women) and they need to start acting like it. And yes, the vast majority of the wrestlers from Indy were pleasant and fine but it only takes one.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:43 am

Some of you sit around, arrogant keyboard righteous, holly than u, know it alls have no idea what these Indy coaches are doing for and with these kids. U morons think it’s about wrestling. Those coaches are teaching these kids how to be men. And it’s aprocess at different stages for each wrestler. Wrestling is the tool their using to do it. One brave parent dug into the trash, like it was her part time job,and got the broken plaque and took it up to our coach and told him that a little sports man ship goes a long way. So does some understanding of the situation. Ma’am it ain’t your fault you don’t know that boys whole story. But again it’s none of your business either. Before any of you better than thou get on here and start your shat about our couches or wrestlers, do what you grand parents would tell your to do, try just try to walk a mile in thier shors. And if you still feel the need to criticize aleast be adult enough to has some solutions to the problems and stop hinting behind fake names on social media and help with the problems. Now go ahead and attack my spelling and punctuation.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:08 pm

At the end of the day, these wrestlers are still kids. They do actually have emotions, and sometimes it gets the better of them. That said, anyone that has spent any time in the presence of the Indy coaches at the MS or HS level knows that they are absolute class acts, and instruct their wrestlers to be the same. I have said before, there is a reason why many coaches, wrestlers, and parents no longer visit this site. The disrespect that is shown to coaches/wrestlers/programs is appalling, and is a huge reason why many avoid this place. Congrats on a great season to all Indy coaches, good luck at states.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:15 pm

wrestleaway wrote:
IndyMS_Coach wrote:I was also there with my son (an Indy wrestler) and he was on his best behavior. Don’t throw the whole team under the bus because of one kid. One kid smashed his plaque in the parking lot. Yes. In the parking lot. We don’t coach the parking lot. All the other kids were very well behaved. Comments like this... “Indy coaches and wrestlers...” are jealous nonsense. Want to talk about bad behavior? Everyone in the gym - not from independence - roots for any kid we wrestle against. Cheers anytime we lose. That’s awesome sportsmanship. Great fans. More? Our coach nor any of our wrestlers got a single vote for Coach of the Year or Most Outstanding Wrestler. That’s petty nonsense from a bunch of coaches that are tired of losing to Indy. That’s poor sportsmanship. So look In the mirror. We just won Conference with the weakest team we’ve had in a long time. And we have arguably the top middle school team in the state and almost all of them are coming to the high school next year. So maybe try basketball or another winter sport. Cause you’re gonna tired of watching this rerun.

As a parent from Shady, I can tell you right now, had Greenbrier West been wrestling a full team, I think that tournament would have went very differently. I'd be very careful because you might be eating some crow next year. Indy has some fine wrestlers for sure but if West can get a hold of a full team, there might be some trouble there.

To get a good feel for the future of the program, it is a good idea to look at the middle school programs that feed into them. It seems GW middle school team competed well and has several quality wrestlers. Indy it seems was one of the best, if not the best, middle school program. No disrespect intended for Greenbrier West and it's incredible program, but Indy looks to continue its reign at the top.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 pm

wrestleaway wrote:
Frank wrote:

I put hard work into my career every day. I've put out a lot of time and money to go to college and graduate with a master's degree. I understand hard work. However, when something doesn't go my way, I cant throw a temper tantrum because I'll be fired. These are young men (and women) and they need to start acting like it. And yes, the vast majority of the wrestlers from Indy were pleasant and fine but it only takes one.

We’re u always so professional or did it take some time to grow up and realize that. Glad ur where your at now and I hope all kids can be as confident in theirselves as you wrestle away from shady

hollywood

Postby hollywood » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:35 pm

wrestleaway wrote:

And if Indy would have been wrestling a full team it would’ve balanced out. Indy is missing their 106, probably a champ there. No 182 that scored a lot of bonus points. Those kind of balance out so that comment doesn’t make much sense. And no 126. They’re reloading again next year, so.

mattman

Postby mattman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Iwatchwrestling wrote:One thing I love about wrestling is all the Great Sportsmanship that this sport has. But at this tournament Indy really showed their butts. Kids leaving the mat without shaking the opponents coaches hand is uncalled for. Indy kid coming off the podium and smashing their plaque. This is just not a bad reflection on the wrestler but it also is a bad reflection on their coaches, team, school, parents, and community. Please next time show some sportsmanship there are small children that are watching and learning.
your talking about my son Bryce breaking his plaque. Bryce is a treehugger and didn’t think it was right to take the life of an innocent tree to make a dust collecting wrestling award smh. Let me tell you a little about Bryce. Just 9 months ago Bryce suffered two severely broken legs and stayed 4 nights in a trauma unit at CAMC. The surgeon told the family Bryce would never wrestle again. Bryce was ordered to 3 months bedrest where he would receive 24 hour care. These same Indy thugs that mr/mrs anonymous speak of, called to check on Bryce and visited him as a team while he was at his lowest point. That’s what brotherhood and sportsmanship is really about. 2 months ago Bryce couldn’t squat to his butt, 1 month ago he couldn’t jog without a noticeable limp. Wrestling is his therapy and those so called cocky Indy wrestlers and coaches are his family. Do a little research before you throw a kid under the bus next time. The kid amazes me every time he walks in the practice room or on the mat. His physical therapist and surgeon are also astonished at how grit and toughness can aid in the recovery process. Bet your one of the closet haters that love to watch Indy lose and are the first ones to try to buddy up and train with us in the offseason. Kids mature at different times but jealous adults only get worse. His coaches had a talk with him. He loves and believes in the whole Indy staff so I don’t think you will have to follow a kid to a parking lot to get your gossip next time. I would personally like to apologize to the Liberty coaches because they went above and beyond on the awards.

IndyMS_Coach

Postby IndyMS_Coach » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:42 pm

wrestleaway wrote:

As a parent from Shady, you should be telling me about Shady. Not West. Come one man!! I’m from Shady for gods sake. Represent your squad.

wrestleaway

Postby wrestleaway » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:45 pm

IndyMS_Coach wrote:
wrestleaway wrote:

As a parent from Shady, you should be telling me about Shady. Not West. Come one man!! I’m from Shady for gods sake. Represent your squad.

Hey, you know I'm a huge Shady fan obviously and proudly rep my squad. But West was 2nd, right behind Indy and we unfortunately were not. All I was saying was there's some great wrestlers in the area and I wouldn't be so sure of myself.

wrestleaway

Postby wrestleaway » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:53 pm

mattman wrote:
your talking about my son Bryce breaking his plaque. Bryce is a treehugger and didn’t think it was right to take the life of an innocent tree to make a dust collecting wrestling award smh. Let me tell you a little about Bryce. Just 9 months ago Bryce suffered two severely broken legs and stayed 4 nights in a trauma unit at CAMC. The surgeon told the family Bryce would never wrestle again. Bryce was ordered to 3 months bedrest where he would receive 24 hour care. These same Indy thugs that mr/mrs anonymous speak of, called to check on Bryce and visited him as a team while he was at his lowest point. That’s what brotherhood and sportsmanship is really about. 2 months ago Bryce couldn’t squat to his butt, 1 month ago he couldn’t jog without a noticeable limp. Wrestling is his therapy and those so called cocky Indy wrestlers and coaches are his family. Do a little research before you throw a kid under the bus next time. The kid amazes me every time he walks in the practice room or on the mat. His physical therapist and surgeon are also astonished at how grit and toughness can aid in the recovery process. Bet your one of the closet haters that love to watch Indy lose and are the first ones to try to buddy up and train with us in the offseason. Kids mature at different times but jealous adults only get worse. His coaches had a talk with him. He loves and believes in the whole Indy staff so I don’t think you will have to follow a kid to a parking lot to get your gossip next time. I would personally like to apologize to the Liberty coaches because they went above and beyond on the awards.

From the bottom of my heart, I am truly happy that your son has managed to come back from such incredible odds. I hope he is very proud of his accomplishment at the tournament this weekend. He absolutely should be.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:16 pm

So plaque busting had nothing to do with oral hygiene?
Who was coach of the year? Who was MOW?

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:25 pm

my .02 cents on the topic (and I realize my 2 is no more valuable that everyone else's):

1. Win and lose with class is the ultimate goal.
2. Winning and losing can be both joyous and disappointing
3. Wrestling is a sport where losing does indeed (despite what we all would like to think) challenges our manhood/womanhood. Afterall, wrestling is an individual sport just as much as a team sport. So, losing/winning individually is a difficult thing to consider.
4. Dont expect kids to be adults when adults have trouble being adults. If you question a kids sportsmanship, then likely the adults are having trouble showing good sportsmanship as well. Even if that adult is not you yourself.
5. Kids are still in the growing and maturing stages of life and some grow and mature at different times. So, even if a kid throws a tantrum, causes an issue, smacks another kid, etc, then we still have to remember that they are kids. We do not have to endorse their mistakes, but we definitely do not need to cast them as the root of all things evil.
6. I am preaching to the choir. Last season I was upset over the actions of Braxton Co HS and some behavior they showed. I do not recall if I posted about it or not, but I definitely cast judgment on their kids and coaches. However, as time has passed I've gotten over that judgment and realized that Braxton County has excellent kids, coaches, wrestlers, and that they are kids just like the kids from which I am most passionate about. I realize that my judgment was clouded by the passions of my team more than the actions of their team.
7. No coach will ever "endorse" unsportsmanlike behavior. Im sure if there is ever a "blowup" on the mat, the coach will deal with it when is appropriate. Dealing with it at that moment in front of a crowd is never an appropriate time to scorn an athlete. This is likely the same reason that parents should never whip their child when they are at their most angry moment. If you want to whip your child, my advice is to whip them after you've had a moment or 10 to calm down so that the whipping does not turn into a beating.
8. Kids are the greatest treasure on Earth.....enjoy them.

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Lets let each school's coach deal with their own wrestlers the way they see fit. Remember these are young men and women full of emotions in the most demanding sport in the world. Kids are going to lose their composure occasionally, it happens. The same emotions that cause them to lose composure are what drive kids to become champions when kept under control. Its a fine line and sometimes it gets crossed.

Willy Rose from Pikeview was the CoY and Sammy Pullens won the MoW awards for those asking.
Coach Shrewsberry
Shady Spring

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:47 pm

wrestleaway wrote:
mattman wrote:

From the bottom of my heart, I am truly happy that your son has managed to come back from such incredible odds. I hope he is very proud of his accomplishment at the tournament this weekend. He absolutely should be.

Not sure how Matt feels about your feelings on this matter. But I can recognize sarcasm when I read it and I don’t care what people who hide behind fake names think.

wrestleaway

Postby wrestleaway » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Frank wrote:
wrestleaway wrote:
mattman wrote: your talking about my son Bryce breaking his plaque. Bryce is a treehugger and didn’t think it was right to take the life of an innocent tree to make a dust collecting wrestling award smh. Let me tell you a little about Bryce. Just 9 months ago Bryce suffered two severely broken legs and stayed 4 nights in a trauma unit at CAMC. The surgeon told the family Bryce would never wrestle again. Bryce was ordered to 3 months bedrest where he would receive 24 hour care. These same Indy thugs that mr/mrs anonymous speak of, called to check on Bryce and visited him as a team while he was at his lowest point. That’s what brotherhood and sportsmanship is really about. 2 months ago Bryce couldn’t squat to his butt, 1 month ago he couldn’t jog without a noticeable limp. Wrestling is his therapy and those so called cocky Indy wrestlers and coaches are his family. Do a little research before you throw a kid under the bus next time. The kid amazes me every time he walks in the practice room or on the mat. His physical therapist and surgeon are also astonished at how grit and toughness can aid in the recovery process. Bet your one of the closet haters that love to watch Indy lose and are the first ones to try to buddy up and train with us in the offseason. Kids mature at different times but jealous adults only get worse. His coaches had a talk with him. He loves and believes in the whole Indy staff so I don’t think you will have to follow a kid to a parking lot to get your gossip next time. I would personally like to apologize to the Liberty coaches because they went above and beyond on the awards.

Not sure how Matt feels about your feelings on this matter. But I can recognize sarcasm when I read it and I don’t care what people who hide behind fake names think.

No sir. You are WRONG. If this boy was told he would never wrestle again and somehow managed to stand on a podium a few short months later, he should be proud. Just because I disagree with how he behaved afterwards does not in anyway mean that I am incapable of respecting his achievements. At the end of the day, we're all parents and I for one, would never wish ill will on ANYONE'S child.

Return to “High School Wrestling”