Faking injuries

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
AAA2018

Faking injuries

Postby AAA2018 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:36 pm

Are wrestlers taught to fake an injury to be able to catch their breath or slow down momentum the other wrestler maybe getting? I’ve seen a lot of wrestlers this year ask for injury time. It could be something as small as a “sore” finger or even a wrestler putting their finger inside their nose looking for blood. Wondering how officials are taught to handle this kind of thing. Thanks

coach_williams

Re: Faking injuries

Postby coach_williams » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:04 pm

I have never known a coach to teach this. I think it is just something that certain wrestlers exploit because they know they can get away with it. Refs have to err on the side of caution. If a wrestler says he/she is hurt the ref can not force the wrestler to continue anyway. The ref could be held liable if the wrestler really was hurt.

AAA2018

Postby AAA2018 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:24 pm

coach_williams wrote:I have never known a coach to teach this. I think it is just something that certain wrestlers exploit because they know they can get away with it. Refs have to err on the side of caution. If a wrestler says he/she is hurt the ref can not force the wrestler to continue anyway. The ref could be held liable if the wrestler really was hurt.

Thanks for the insight coach. I couldn’t imagine it was being taught. It’s a shame that it happens but I guess it’s a sign of today’s youth.

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Officials must give the wrestler their request for injury time. The official may believe that it is being used for a breather or whatever other than a real injury. When we receive our registration to officiate we did not receive a document declaring us as a Doctor of Medicine therefore we can't pass judgement on the validity or seriousness of a wrestler who exercises his right to go on the injury time clock

Think about it this way. Would you want to be the person who denies a kid injury time and have that kid be seriously injured or ill, taken to the hospital, and find out later that something terrible had happened?

Yes we know there is the possibility that the kid is gassed. Not my place to make that call. Is the action of the kid ethical? Still not my call. Of the coach? Again not my call. Follow the rule book to the letter and you will not put the health or welfare of the wrestler in jeopardy. Or your home. Your life savings or anything else of value that you own. Not to mention your conscious. When I was Secretary of our association (OVWOA) I used to tell our officials that raised the question of how to grant injury I always said, Guys you only have $1 million dollars of coverage on you. If he asks, give it. Don't judge.

Several years ago there was and still is a damn good coach from Fairmont area who had a kid who abused his right to injury time. After about one half a season of putting up with the kid's shenagans, the coach, who obviously knew his kid was doggin it because he dogged it in practice took a new approach to the problem. When the kid asked for injury time and then 15 t 30 seconds later said he was ok the coach said "Nope, run the clock out Ray". He said he ain't putting up with this crap anymore. Changed the attitude of the kid right now. And that was when there was 2 minutes available for injury. The NHS eventually changed it to 1.5 minutes to hopefully alleviate this problem.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 pm

Spoken like a true wiseman! Let’s not forgot the legendary coach out of Parkersburg. “I will tell you one thing kid, I ain’t going to kiss them. GET UP let’s wrestle.LOL I am sure you can imagine what body parts he was referring to.
Last edited by forthekids on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 am

Yep! Since we were both on the mat when he said it. Always a treat to work a match for him. He didn't believe in injury time.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:25 pm

With the increased focus on concussions and the long term damage they can cause, what about a wrestler who takes a blow to the head and exhibits signs of a concussion....ie. dizziness, unconsciousness, lack of balance, blurred vision, etc? I am pretty sure in the rule book it says that the contest will be stopped and the affected wrestler removed from competition until cleared by a medical professional. Section 2. Injury and Article 4...page 177 and 178 in the NFHS 2018-2019 rule book. I have seen it this year a couple of times, and the wrestler was allowed to continue competing. I have been in that situation before, in the past, and honestly probably made the wrong call and allowed my wrestler to continue. After watching them and knowing they were not right, they just weren't themselves, I stopped them from being allowed to compete the rest of the day and made them go to the doctor. They indeed were concussed and it was several weeks before they were right again. My question is, should it even be a coaches call? Should the official stop the match and remove the kid based on the rule book and take it out of the wrestlers, coaches, or parents hands?

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:47 pm

aaacoach89 wrote:With the increased focus on concussions and the long term damage they can cause, what about a wrestler who takes a blow to the head and exhibits signs of a concussion....ie. dizziness, unconsciousness, lack of balance, blurred vision, etc? I am pretty sure in the rule book it says that the contest will be stopped and the affected wrestler removed from competition until cleared by a medical professional. Section 2. Injury and Article 4...page 177 and 178 in the NFHS 2018-2019 rule book. I have seen it this year a couple of times, and the wrestler was allowed to continue competing. I have been in that situation before, in the past, and honestly probably made the wrong call and allowed my wrestler to continue. After watching them and knowing they were not right, they just weren't themselves, I stopped them from being allowed to compete the rest of the day and made them go to the doctor. They indeed were concussed and it was several weeks before they were right again. My question is, should it even be a coaches call? Should the official stop the match and remove the kid based on the rule book and take it out of the wrestlers, coaches, or parents hands?

ABSOUTLEY … I have seen it called twice this year and only person who can override official is....
1. Certified trainer on site.
2. Certified doctor for event. ( not just a doctor in stands) Although, I am certain if official knew that he really was a doctor he would use that as sound judgement. However, by rule book not allowed and don't know many doctors who would approve it as a causal spectator in todays sue mentality.

Trust me it is not pleasant for official as the heat of the moment that (some) coaches and parents don't understand why you stop it. However, on both occurrence's after the smoke cleared all involved realized it was right thing to do.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Thanks for the response. Like I said, I had been in that situation....and as a coach, and in that particular instance, as a dad I got caught up in the moment. It was the Regionals and my son was a senior. In the moment, we let him continue...in hindsight it was the absolute wrong call. It is really the biggest regret I have thus far as a coach/dad. Like I said I have seen a couple instances this year where a kid was exhibiting signs of a concussion, in one instance even was out cold for a minute, and they were allowed to continue. I just was curious if there was a different interpretation of the rule that was in the book for 2018-2019. I'd hate to see long term damage be done over something that could be prevented with sound judgement.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Just as I suspected, the situation of a wrestler being allowed to continue wrestling after clearly exhibiting symptoms of being concussed happened yesterday at Regionals. The kid had to actually be helped to his feet, could not stand on his own, was clearly dazed, and the match was stopped twice as a result. Trainers came out, and allowed the match to continue. I am confused....there was an obvious collision or contact to the head. The kid clearly exhibits signs and symptoms of being concussed, but yet is allowed to continue. The rule book says the contestant will be removed from competition until he is cleared by an appropriate health care professional.

“ART. 4 . . . Any contestant who exhibits signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion “such as loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, confusion or balance problems) shall be immediately removed from the match and shall not return to competition until cleared by an appropriate health-care professional.”

Excerpt From
2018-19 NFHS Wrestling Rules Book

It seems like the rule book is pretty cut and dry. I am sure no official or coach wants to be the one responsible for making the call that ends a kids season, possibly high school career...but isn’t that our responsibility? Protect the kid or competitor from long term injury? I am not sitting in some ivory tower. Per my previous post I have been in the situation and made the WRONG call. I have since done the research, and take the same annual certification all other coaches are supposed to take. These head injuries are serious, and if we continue to err on the side of being “tough” or “a man”, we are open to hurting a kid long term or even being sued when things go wrong. I am not judging anyone, just think we need to be better.

Return to “High School Wrestling”