Pinning Through

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Pinning Through

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:54 pm

I see 5, possibly 6 wrestlers pinning their way through the state tournament.

Two in AAA and 3-4 in AA/A.

I wonder who will get it done the fastest?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: Pinning Through

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:26 pm

Interesting stuff

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Interesting stuff

Of course a few of these guys might purposely tech fall some opponents for some reason.

hooverfan19

Postby hooverfan19 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:00 pm

Bearhugger please elaborate on your prediction. I want to know who to watch at the tourney.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:30 pm

hooverfan19 wrote:Bearhugger please elaborate on your prediction. I want to know who to watch at the tourney.

If I was going to name them, I would have done so in the original post. The names are hermedically sealed in a mason jar on Gator's front porch.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I see 5, possibly 6 wrestlers pinning their way through the state tournament.

Region results:

AAA:

Wrestler 1 pinned his way through
Wrestler 2 had no pins. It looks like his #1 opponent closed the distance.

AA/A:

Wrestler 1 pinned 100%
Wrestler 2 had one Tech Fall. Obviously wanted mat time.
Wrestler 3 pinned 100%

Maybe Wrestler pinned 100%

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:23 am

hooverfan19 wrote:Bearhugger please elaborate on your prediction. I want to know who to watch at the tourney.

I'll pick 4, in order of likelihood.
1. Braxton Amos, South, AAA 220
2. Nate Kotsko, East Fairmont, AA/A 182
3. Zach Frazier, Fairmont Senior, AA/A HWT
4. Jordan Williams, Braxton, AA/A 170

dsb4lyfe

Postby dsb4lyfe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 am

U know who gona pen ther weigh threw that ther turny next week?? DSB! :D

Good luck to all, but them ther that wrastle any DSB boyz!

Lets gitter!

aacoach81

Postby aacoach81 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Sorry, number 2 and number 4 I disagree. ;)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 pm

dsb4lyfe wrote:U know who gona pen ther weigh threw that ther turny next week?? DSB! :D

Lets gitter!

DSB has a girl now

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:24 am

She's actually the "z" factor in boyz.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
dsb4lyfe wrote:U know who gona pen ther weigh threw that ther turny next week?? DSB! :D

Lets gitter!

DSB has a girl now

Lets leave gender out of such discussions. They are wrestlers ... period. When these kids step on the mat they are wrestlers all vying for the same goal. May the best wrestler win. There should be no glass ceiling in high school wrestling! It all boils down to guts and determination not chromosomes.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Lets gitter!

DSB has a girl now

Lets leave gender out of such discussions. They are wrestlers ... period. When these kids step on the mat they are wrestlers all vying for the same goal. May the best wrestler win. There should be no glass ceiling in high school wrestling! It all boils down to guts and determination not chromosomes.

Then change the name to "demsouthwrestlers".

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:03 am

If Braxton has it as a goal to pin through in the least amount of time I would as the old saying goes "bet the farm on it"

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:34 am

mscoach4 wrote:If Braxton has it as a goal to pin through in the least amount of time I would as the old saying goes "bet the farm on it"

......and

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:24 am

mscoach4 wrote:If Braxton has it as a goal to pin through in the least amount of time I would as the old saying goes "bet the farm on it"

Dylan Woods (presuming he ends up in the finals) may have a lot to say about that. He is tough as nails and is one of the stoutest opponents Braxton has faced the past 2 years in high school.
Last edited by KDunbar on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:13 am

KDunbar wrote:

Dylan Woods (presuming he ends up in the finals) may have a lot to say about that. He is tough as nails and is one of the stoutest opponents Braxton has face the past 2 years in high school.

No slight to anyone else but if I were betting on the one wrestler to have the shortest time mat, my money would be on Braxton,

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:48 am

KDunbar wrote:

Dylan Woods (presuming he ends up in the finals) may have a lot to say about that. He is tough as nails and is one of the stoutest opponents Braxton has faced the past 2 years in high school.

You're kidding right?
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:04 pm

shemailman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

You're kidding right?

I wouldn't really say the toughest high school kid, since the Ironman has some really tough guys, but Amos has had Wood the last two years in the finals at OVAC and has not pinned him. Won decisively, yes, but no falls. Last year, Wood seemed to simply work to never get turned, this year was less clear. So, yes...I think Amos will win easily through the semis, not really be pushed in the finals, but a decision or major would not shock me.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Monarch1996 wrote:
shemailman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:Dylan Woods (presuming he ends up in the finals) may have a lot to say about that. He is tough as nails and is one of the stoutest opponents Braxton has faced the past 2 years in high school.

You're kidding right?

I wouldn't really say the toughest high school kid, since the Ironman has some really tough guys, but Amos has had Wood the last two years in the finals at OVAC and has not pinned him. Won decisively, yes, but no falls. Last year, Wood seemed to simply work to never get turned, this year was less clear. So, yes...I think Amos will win easily through the semis, not really be pushed in the finals, but a decision or major would not shock me.

Last years State Tournament Semi-Finals
Weight: 220
Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall Dylan Wood (Jr), Wheeling Park, 3.56
BJ Haynes (Sr), Ripley Dec Ben Gribble (Jr), University, 3-1

If Braxton pins through, it would be the second year in a row ( a little over 8 minutes). Quite an outstanding accomplishment. Almost unheard of.
His results from last year's tournament
Rd 1: Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall Ayden Bishoff (Fr), Preston, 0:27
Quarters: Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall Nathan Stiffler (Jr), Spring Mills, 0.27
Semis: Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall Dylan Wood (Jr), Wheeling Park, 3.56
Finals: Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall BJ Haynes (Sr), Ripley, 3.15

Don't blink, Better have your cameras ready this year.

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:18 pm

brentsams wrote:
Monarch1996 wrote:
shemailman wrote:
You're kidding right?

Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall Dylan Wood (Jr), Wheeling Park, 3.56

If Braxton pins through, it would be the second year in a row ( a little over 8 minutes). Quite an outstanding accomplishment. Almost unheard of.
Rd 1: Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall Ayden Bishoff (Fr), Preston, 0:27
Quarters: Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall Nathan Stiffler (Jr), Spring Mills, 0.27
Semis: Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall Dylan Wood (Jr), Wheeling Park, 3.56
Finals: Braxton Amos (Soph), Parkersburg South Fall BJ Haynes (Sr), Ripley, 3.15

I stand corrected and I did forget that Amos pinned Wood in the semis. I mostly remembered the OVAC matches, since I was there. This year was somewhat strange, though, and I've never gotten to watch the replay.

Nevertheless, Amos will be a state champion again--and I'm happy to see that as he is a nice young man, too.

Mwright

Postby Mwright » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:14 pm

What about AA/A 120 Derek Raike I would think he would pin all of his opponents.....

SMC

Postby SMC » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Mwright wrote:What about AA/A 120 Derek Raike I would think he would pin all of his opponents.....

I certainly wouldn't bet against that happening.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:32 am

shemailman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

You're kidding right?

No, I definitely wasn't kidding. If you read what I said, it was nothing against Braxton, nor against his other opponents. I also didn't say toughest, I said one of the stoutest. They have met 4 times with also a major decision at the OVAC duals last year. I have seen all of Braxton's Ironman matches for the last two years (and the Powerade the last two years, and the Super 32 the last two years, and the OVAC the last two years, and the Virginia duals, and the York, PA preseason tournament the past two years, and most of his other high school matches, and about everything recorded on the Internet since middle school). That doesn't make me an expert and it doesn't make me right. But it was an informed and well thought out opinion. Most guys don't stand a chance and most guys can't put up enough resistance to last. If you try to resist he just about tears you apart limb by limb, head included. It would be easier to do what a lot of guys do, and just get pinned. But Dylan Woods isn't made that way. Just giving him credit where credit is due. Braxton will likely beat him again if they meet, and may pin him once more. There is no shame in that if you resist to best of your ability.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:58 am

brentsams wrote:
Monarch1996 wrote:
shemailman wrote:
You're kidding right?

We are a fickle and forgetful bunch. I'm sure Brent actually hasn't forgotten, but there once was a kid named Josh Humphreys.
His state tournament history:
2015= 23 sec pin/56 sec pin/58 sec pin/1:26 pin for a total of 3:43
2016= 55 sec pin/1:47 pin/ 1:04 pin/ 6-0 decision for a total of 9:46
2017= Forfeit/38 sec pin/ 38 sec pin/ 1:31 pin for a total of 2:47
2018= Forfeit/1:58 pin/ 1:21 pin/ 1:58 pin for a total of 5:17
He sure gets a lot of credit for just wrestling only 21:23 (just kidding of course)

[PS. A thanks goes to Bearhugger for making sure the first round forfeits Josh had are less likely to occur from here on out]
Last edited by KDunbar on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:11 am

KDunbar wrote:
brentsams wrote:
Monarch1996 wrote:

We are a fickle and forgetful bunch. I'm sure Brent actually hasn't forgotten, but there once was a kid named Josh Humphreys.
His state tournament history:
2015= 23 sec pin/56 sec pin/58 sec pin/1:26 pin for a total of 3:43
2016= 55 sec pin/1:47 pin/ 1:04 pin/ 6-0 decision for a total of 9:46
2017= Forfeit/38 sec pin/ 38 sec pin/ 1:31 pin for a total of 2:47
2018= Forfeit/1:58 pin/ 1:21 pin/ 1:58 pin for a total of 5:17
He sure gets a lot of credit for just wrestling only 21:23 (just kidding of course)

[PS. A thanks goes to Bearhugger for making sure the first round forfeits Josh had are less likely to occur from here on out]

Despite using numerous 5th place winners from many regions, there were still many forfeits in AAA Thursday night.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:14 am

Bearhugger wrote:I see 5, possibly 6 wrestlers pinning their way through the state tournament.

So far so good. A few were so fast, I missed their matches.

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:25 am

KDunbar wrote:
shemailman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:Dylan Woods (presuming he ends up in the finals) may have a lot to say about that. He is tough as nails and is one of the stoutest opponents Braxton has faced the past 2 years in high school.

You're kidding right?

No, I definitely wasn't kidding. If you read what I said, it was nothing against Braxton, nor against his other opponents. I also didn't say toughest, I said one of the stoutest. They have met 4 times with also a major decision at the OVAC duals last year. I have seen all of Braxton's Ironman matches for the last two years (and the Powerade the last two years, and the Super 32 the last two years, and the OVAC the last two years, and the Virginia duals, and the York, PA preseason tournament the past two years, and most of his other high school matches, and about everything recorded on the Internet since middle school). That doesn't make me an expert and it doesn't make me right. But it was an informed and well thought out opinion. Most guys don't stand a chance and most guys can't put up enough resistance to last. If you try to resist he just about tears you apart limb by limb, head included. It would be easier to do what a lot of guys do, and just get pinned. But Dylan Woods isn't made that way. Just giving him credit where credit is due. Braxton will likely beat him again if they meet, and may pin him once more. There is no shame in that if you resist to best of your ability.

Or perhaps the stall camp originated at Wheeling Park.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:55 am

Braxton took what almost seemed to be an eternity in the semis, so he is at 18 plus 28 plus 1:28 for a running total of 2:14, I dunno where anyone else is in total time on the mat

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:05 am

shemailman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
shemailman wrote:
You're kidding right?

Or perhaps the stall camp originated at Wheeling Park.

I'm not really trying to win an argument. So let's just say that you have to be "tough as nails and stout" to stall and survive without being pinned against Braxton.

Return to “High School Wrestling”