State tournament Records

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
WP1992

State tournament Records

Postby WP1992 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:06 pm

By my count there are 28 wrestlers in AAA with losing records that are competing in the state tournament. That is 12.5%!!! AA has 5 wrestlers with losing records or about 2.2% I know teams wrestle varying levels of competition but 12.5 percent is staggering in my opinion. I credit the lessor number In A/AA to the larger number of teams, therefore weeding out less competitive wrestlers at the regional level. The WVSSAC really needs to stop doing what they have always done and look into splitting wrestling (and all other sports) into an equal number of teams per division.

coach_williams

Re: State tournament Records

Postby coach_williams » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 pm

You seem to understand math and percentages pretty good, so I assume you will also understand this. Moving teams out of AA/A and into AAA doesn't fix the problem, it just moves the problem around. All that would happen is the percentage would decrease some in AAA and increase by that same amount in AA/A.

This problem will only be fixed when school administrators begin promoting wrestling like they promote basketball and football. How many schools have a pep rally for wrestling? How many schools have an administrator show up to every wrestling meet? How many schools post the wrestling schedule all over the school like they do for football and basketball?

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:02 pm

coach_williams wrote:You seem to understand math and percentages pretty good, so I assume you will also understand this. Moving teams out of AA/A and into AAA doesn't fix the problem, it just moves the problem around. All that would happen is the percentage would decrease some in AAA and increase by that same amount in AA/A.

This problem will only be fixed when school administrators begin promoting wrestling like they promote basketball and football. How many schools have a pep rally for wrestling? How many schools have an administrator show up to every wrestling meet? How many schools post the wrestling schedule all over the school like they do for football and basketball?

Threw us a curve ball. Expected a Coach Williams idea which would take away some of the wins from the top wrestlers and give them to the wrestlers with losing records. That way everyone would be closer to even.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:10 pm

Bernie would!
Moderator WV Mat

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Keep the Cinderella story alive.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:38 pm

Studcradle wrote:Threw us a curve ball. Expected a Coach Williams idea which would take away some of the wins from the top wrestlers and give them to the wrestlers with losing records. That way everyone would be closer to even.

Sorry to disappoint ya. I am not a part of the participation trophy crowd.

aaacoach49

Postby aaacoach49 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm

just something Id be curious to know...

On average, how many wins per season does the average A/AA wrestler pick up each season from forfeits in a dual setting? How many does the average AAA wrestler pick up? It may have no meaningful impact on the number of wrestlers qualifying for the state tournament who have winning records. But, you never know.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:50 am

WP1992 wrote:By my count there are 28 wrestlers in AAA with losing records that are competing in the state tournament. That is 12.5%!!! AA has 5 wrestlers with losing records or about 2.2% I know teams wrestle varying levels of competition but 12.5 percent is staggering in my opinion. I credit the lessor number In A/AA to the larger number of teams, therefore weeding out less competitive wrestlers at the regional level. The WVSSAC really needs to stop doing what they have always done and look into splitting wrestling (and all other sports) into an equal number of teams per division.

You are correct. In AAA, all regions have only 7 teams except for region 3 that has eight. Next, most team do not have a full line up. The number one indicator to look at is how many weight classes only have 4 wrestlers? These wrestlers show up, make weight and qualify.

I glanced over the region scores and noticed a wrestler that placed 6th. Last season they placed 5th. In 2017, they placed 4th and qualified for the states. The reason they qualified in 2017 was that there were only 4 wrestlers in their weight class.

On Thursday night at Big Sandy, AAA will finish up while AA/A is still at 182/195.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”