What’s your take on the off week?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach81

What’s your take on the off week?

Postby aacoach81 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 pm

My opinion is we need to go back to no week off.

wrestlingfan23202

Re: What’s your take on the off week?

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 pm

aacoach81 wrote:My opinion is we need to go back to no week off.

Nooooooooo I like the week off before you can only practice M,T, W and you can’t really have a great game plan for your wrestlers during that short time. Not to mention gets kids healthier from skin infections and sickness going around this time of the year. Smartest thing we’ve done as a whole is move this back

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:19 pm

No week off.

Qualityshots

Postby Qualityshots » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:50 am

In 2013 my son won a State Championship. It seemed like his senior year just flew by. On 2/16 he won the regional championship then 7 days later he was wrestling at States. I think the week off has pros and cons like everything else. I think that it helped my son just to keep getting it. But I also think that as wrestlers get smarter and stronger, the week off could be great for conditioning and practice. So my take is 50/50

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:18 am

The week off is turrible

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:25 am

Why is it terrible!? If we keep it like it was then you complain about skin infections, injuries, etc and it’s a huge headache for archer and company. Smart move. The wrestlers will have time to heal from conference and regionals and have a good game plan for this week.

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:26 am

I’d expect park south fans to know that. Maybe they’re not as bright as I thought LOL

Campion

Postby Campion » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 am

What week off? :D

Northside River Rat

Postby Northside River Rat » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:58 am

The week off is the dumbest thing ever. It was all caused by people not having the spine to enforce the rules. Sorry that kids got skin issues but go by the rules. WVSSAC is a organization that has never stood it's ground. I have talked to several College coach's about this and EVERY one said all they had to do is go by the rules. Most skin issues take seven to 10 days to break out so if you get something at Regional weekend it may not pop up until a couple of days before the State tournament. So where is the positive side of this. I'm not buying kids have time to heal up and get healthy. This is the time of the year when your kids should be working their hardest,, not a time to relax and take it easy!

iLiketoWrastle

Postby iLiketoWrastle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 pm

aacoach81 wrote:My opinion is we need to go back to no week off.

The week of is terrible, yes. But some wrestlers need time to get rested and healed in time so that they can put on a show at states.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:05 pm

This year I think it is particularly beneficial since this flu stuff has been going around. It gives time for everyone who has been sick to recover and be 100% by states. Nobody wants to see good wrestlers lose at states because of illness.

WrestlingBoysX3

Postby WrestlingBoysX3 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:19 pm

coach_williams wrote:This year I think it is particularly beneficial since this flu stuff has been going around. It gives time for everyone who has been sick to recover and be 100% by states. Nobody wants to see good wrestlers lose at states because of illness.

I know of one wrestler who missed last weekend due to the flu and a fever of 102+ for four days in a row that could have wrestled this weekend. Was ranked in top 10 before missing regionals.

aaacoach33

Postby aaacoach33 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:49 pm

It’s horrible
In the end we win

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:15 pm

wrestlingfan23202 wrote:I’d expect park south fans to know that. Maybe they’re not as bright as I thought LOL

I don't think this issue was ever a South issue/problem. But thanks for the PR plug.

From a medical standpoint, I have never understood the rationale or reasoning on an overall basis. Wait an extra week for a different wrestler to be ill? Makes no sense to me. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a doctor.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:07 pm

KDunbar wrote:
wrestlingfan23202 wrote:I’d expect park south fans to know that. Maybe they’re not as bright as I thought LOL

I don't think this issue was ever a South issue/problem. But thanks for the PR plug.

From a medical standpoint, I have never understood the rationale or reasoning on an overall basis. Wait an extra week for a different wrestler to be ill? Makes no sense to me. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a doctor.

Stop intejecting logic and reason into this discussion!
Its offensive.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:18 am

Northside River Rat wrote:The week off is the dumbest thing ever. It was all caused by people not having the spine to enforce the rules. Sorry that kids got skin issues but go by the rules. WVSSAC is a organization that has never stood it's ground. I have talked to several College coach's about this and EVERY one said all they had to do is go by the rules. Most skin issues take seven to 10 days to break out so if you get something at Regional weekend it may not pop up until a couple of days before the State tournament. So where is the positive side of this. I'm not buying kids have time to heal up and get healthy. This is the time of the year when your kids should be working their hardest,, not a time to relax and take it easy!

Its hard for kids to work hard when they are battered and bruised. Having an extra week to ice and heal injuries doesn't mean they are taking it easy. Having 3 days of practice between regionals and states has always been absolutely ridiculous. I am sure most, if not all, coaches agree that having an extra week to get their wrestlers as prepared as possible as a net positive. Only the fans think otherwise.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 am

KDunbar wrote:

Or wait an extra week for a sick wrestler to no longer be ill?

secretstud96

Postby secretstud96 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Despise it.

Your kids lose all momentum from regionals.

aacoach29

Postby aacoach29 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:49 pm

Strongly dead against it. To long a time between regionals and states for bad things to happen on and off the mat. Seeing now many changes in the brackets for whatever reason.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:58 am

JustSomeone wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

Or wait an extra week for a sick wrestler to no longer be ill?

But 3 weeks would medically be even better, unless they or someone else got sick or injured. Then we should wait 4 weeks. Oh wait, I get it. You're just trying to help make my point.
As far as getting ready for the state tournament, I thought that was what November, December, January, and half of February was for.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:36 am

Ya see... if the tournament were held last week this work stoppage would not matter! Another reason the extra week is turrible!!

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:53 pm

It disgust me when a ref cost a kid a state championship! 113 AAA!
Moderator WV Mat

rodneyjwv

Postby rodneyjwv » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 pm

Agree totally Gator, Devin got ripped off for certain, they need replay for state tournament matches!

Should have it at every match. They record us everywhere we go, cameras everywhere, WVSSAC can afford video replay, what else do they do with the technology funds they get from the state annually. Give one of those distinguished gentlemen a new hat, which they could delegate to the County levels to pay a referee to be the replay official at all matches.

Would stop a lot of the speculation, finger pointing, and correct simple human mistakes made in fast moving events.

Maybe if the referees association promoted it as a checks and balance to these simple mistakes of bad angle to make the call things of the past. Or can they handle being corrected, even though to error is human, I haven't seen too many referees in my lifetime that are every wrong.
Rodney James
HS Wrestling Fan GO SOUTH!!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:27 pm

Gator wrote:It disgust me when a ref cost a kid a state championship! 113 AAA!

Sad! Same S*#! Different year

Treerat

Postby Treerat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:57 am

113 in AA/A wasn't any better

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:07 am

Treerat wrote:113 in AA/A wasn't any better

True but I’m not surprised that ref has messed over so many kids in the states.... it’s actually sad! I mean good match boyers is good but he was stalling and that horrible stalemate while wrestler is gaining position that’s not a stalemate

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:46 am

wrestlingfan23202 wrote:
Treerat wrote:113 in AA/A wasn't any better

True but I’m not surprised that ref has messed over so many kids in the states.... it’s actually sad! I mean good match boyers is good but he was stalling and that horrible stalemate while wrestler is gaining position that’s not a stalemate

That same ref screwed up a finals match the weekend before at the WVYWA. He is terrible,from my understanding he was told that he will not do another high school state championship. He will need to stick to youth league matches.

jofus

Postby jofus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:49 pm

My son graduated 3 years ago, so I have no dog in the hunt anymore, but I don't think 2 weeks between is the worst idea with the ever increasing emphasis on "concussion like symptoms" and the mandatory minimum of 7 days off.

As to the refs...I have a question...am I confused about the rule, or would a penalty point for stalling in the first overtime not finish the match? Doesn't any score count towards the "sudden victory"?

And I had literally said right before that round that you never see stalling called in the first overtime.... 8-)

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Need to rephrase that, it disgusts you when the refs cost a South kid a state championship. It didn't bother you guys when it happened to Indy last year.

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:50 pm

WrestlingFan1 wrote:

Need to rephrase that, it disgusts you when the refs cost a South kid a state championship. It didn't bother you guys when it happened to Indy last year.

I doubt that's the case. There were a lot of people that played a part in the Indy debacle. Nice try though :roll:
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

Return to “High School Wrestling”