Participation trophies @ WV AAA Wrestling championships!

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
shemailman

Re: Participation trophies @ WV AAA Wrestling championships!

Postby shemailman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:41 am

JustSomeone wrote:
shemailman wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:I believe Humphreys won 3 state titles without South's help, did he not? South can't claim he is a 4 time champ for them, he is a 1 time champ for south. He won his 3 somewhere else.

Wasn't claiming Humprheys as a South 4x champ, I said he was a 4x state champ and South lost him after last season. Pay attention.

You seem to ignore that they scored less points and had one less placer, while WP score more points, had more placers, and more finalists. Not trying ti downplay what south did this season, but according to the numbers south did better last year than this year while WP did better. You can clearly see where the thought process is from the voters.

My opinions are based on past dealing with coaches, fans, wrestlers, and the program as a whole. Certainly not jealousy.

More finalists? South's 8 is more than WP's 3. Plus South SHOULD have won all three of those head to head match ups as well. Some officials have no business reffing big tournaments and/or matches.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

southside_tiger

Postby southside_tiger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:53 am

[/quote]
You seem to ignore that they scored less points and had one less placer, while WP score more points, had more placers, and more finalists. Not trying ti downplay what south did this season, but according to the numbers south did better last year than this year while WP did better. You can clearly see where the thought process is from the voters. [/quote]
You can clearly see the thought process is if you cant beat them vote against them. Voting for a coach whose kids are so undisciplined they received multiple penalties is just poor taste.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:01 pm

shemailman wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:
shemailman wrote:
Wasn't claiming Humprheys as a South 4x champ, I said he was a 4x state champ and South lost him after last season. Pay attention.

You seem to ignore that they scored less points and had one less placer, while WP score more points, had more placers, and more finalists. Not trying ti downplay what south did this season, but according to the numbers south did better last year than this year while WP did better. You can clearly see where the thought process is from the voters.

My opinions are based on past dealing with coaches, fans, wrestlers, and the program as a whole. Certainly not jealousy.

More finalists? South's 8 is more than WP's 3. Plus South SHOULD have won all three of those head to head match ups as well. Some officials have no business reffing big tournaments and/or matches.

Yes, WP had more finalists this year than they did last year. They also had more points than they did last year, and more placers than they did last year. Reading comprehension is important. The results of matches are what they are, shoulda/woulda/coulda are excuses.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 pm

JustSomeone wrote:
shemailman wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:I believe Humphreys won 3 state titles without South's help, did he not? South can't claim he is a 4 time champ for them, he is a 1 time champ for south. He won his 3 somewhere else.

I am glad to see that you and many others are now using "numbers" and historical data to see what is going on. "They" finally made a CHANGE and saved Thursday night from being a bye-fest. That bunch of decision makers deserve an award. Also, having refs at the score tables instead of a bunch of "Walking Dead" kids obviously helped. I didn't witness any score disputes.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:
shemailman wrote:

I am glad to see that you and many others are now using "numbers" and historical data to see what is going on. "They" finally made a CHANGE and saved Thursday night from being a bye-fest. That bunch of decision makers deserve an award. Also, having refs at the score tables instead of a bunch of "Walking Dead" kids obviously helped. I didn't witness any score disputes.

Still witnessed some pinning disputes. "Walking Dead" officials.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:01 pm

JustSomeone wrote:
shemailman wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:

Yes, WP had more finalists this year than they did last year. They also had more points than they did last year, and more placers than they did last year. Reading comprehension is important. The results of matches are what they are, shoulda/woulda/coulda are excuses.

Again, you are negating this fact and the only thing that matters, South won. Can't get any higher than 1st :mrgreen:

-Caitlyn Jenner

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:51 pm

shemailman wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:
shemailman wrote:

Again, you are negating this fact and the only thing that matters, South won. Can't get any higher than 1st :mrgreen:

No, i am saying it is possible to win coach of the year and not win it all, as is the case in literally every other sport.

jofus

Postby jofus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:42 pm

First, both COY and MOW are voted on by fellow coaches, correct? Not sure who you're blaming here....

Second...MOW is "Most Outstanding Wrestler" of the state tournament, not the best wrestler in the state. That's a different award that comes later.

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:00 pm

JustSomeone wrote:
shemailman wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:

No, i am saying it is possible to win coach of the year and not win it all, as is the case in literally every other sport.

That's why they hold no credibility either

-Caitlyn Jenner

JMfan

Postby JMfan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm

jofus wrote:First, both COY and MOW are voted on by fellow coaches, correct? Not sure who you're blaming here....

Second...MOW is "Most Outstanding Wrestler" of the state tournament, not the best wrestler in the state. That's a different award that comes later.

So true. Some people just can’t wrap their tiny little heads around that.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:42 pm

An outside view .... I spent over half my life in a wrestling room and interacted with literally hundreds of coaches .... nearly every single one (and all of the good ones) would tell you they don’t give a care about coaching awards or accolades, they just want their wrestlers to do well on and off the mat.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

aacoach62

Postby aacoach62 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:10 pm

Panther_coach wrote:An outside view .... I spent over half my life in a wrestling room and interacted with literally hundreds of coaches .... nearly every single one (and all of the good ones) would tell you they don’t give a care about coaching awards or accolades, they just want their wrestlers to do well on and off the mat.

Wise words from a wise and respected Coach
Thank you

Matfan76

Postby Matfan76 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:22 pm

Panther_coach wrote:An outside view .... I spent over half my life in a wrestling room and interacted with literally hundreds of coaches .... nearly every single one (and all of the good ones) would tell you they don’t give a care about coaching awards or accolades, they just want their wrestlers to do well on and off the mat.

Amen to this! I promise you he does NOT care! The team came and accomplished what they set out to do. Pretty sure COY was not on the agenda. Not sure why everyone is getting so bent out of shape! Breathe people!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:24 am

The sad thing is that the original post had both the criteria for each award and the source picking the awards incorrect. Also everyone responded as if his feelings represent those of "South". I can pretty much assure you that Coach Smith is not concerned with the COY award at the State tournament. I can also pretty much assure you that Braxton is likely very happy to see a fellow wrestler get the MOW wrestler award. He has enough accolades that he understands the significance of this. I'm not putting down any other wrestler by saying this and it is based on wrestling at this tournament and more importantly the competition faced and overcome.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:33 am

JustSomeone wrote:Well looking at results........South had the same amount of champions this year as they did last year. They had less placers overall and scored 40 less points.

Wheeling Park had 3 more placers and 1 more champ than last year, while scoring 67 more points than last year.

It seems as though South regressed from last year, while WP improved from last year. Coach of the year, in my opinion and apparently in the opinion of those who voted, believe CoY should go to the coach that shows the most improvement over the course of the season, and from one year to another. Looks like they got that right.

Braxton is an amazing wrestler and an even better young man, but none of his previous titles matter when talking about Outstanding Wrestler. Unless he has found a way to win 3 state titles in just 1 tournament, the only title that matters is the one he just won. Carman had an amazing tournament and beat the wrestler ranked ahead of him in a great match. They both deserved the award.

If the south fans want to know why there is so much bias against them, look no further than this thread. Whining and crying because they did not win a coach of the year award. You can always expect the South program to be competitive and be in the running to win the whole thing year in and year out, but you can't expect them to do it with class.

It seems that you fell into the original posters trap and admitted what he wanted you to admit (altough, I don't think your admission is correct or accurate). You said, and I quote, "If the south fans want to know why there is so much bias against them, look no further than this post".

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:34 am

KDunbar wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:Well looking at results........South had the same amount of champions this year as they did last year. They had less placers overall and scored 40 less points.

Wheeling Park had 3 more placers and 1 more champ than last year, while scoring 67 more points than last year.

It seems as though South regressed from last year, while WP improved from last year. Coach of the year, in my opinion and apparently in the opinion of those who voted, believe CoY should go to the coach that shows the most improvement over the course of the season, and from one year to another. Looks like they got that right.

Braxton is an amazing wrestler and an even better young man, but none of his previous titles matter when talking about Outstanding Wrestler. Unless he has found a way to win 3 state titles in just 1 tournament, the only title that matters is the one he just won. Carman had an amazing tournament and beat the wrestler ranked ahead of him in a great match. They both deserved the award.

If the south fans want to know why there is so much bias against them, look no further than this thread. Whining and crying because they did not win a coach of the year award. You can always expect the South program to be competitive and be in the running to win the whole thing year in and year out, but you can't expect them to do it with class.

It seems that you fell into the original posters trap and admitted what he wanted you to admit (altough, I don't think your admission is correct or accurate). You said, and I quote, "If the south fans want to know why there is so much bias against them, look no further than this post".

I said bias against south fans, not coaches. However, i am sure bias against the south program exists among coaches, i don't know them all to say for certain one way or another. But it seems as though there is clear reasoning why coaches thought WP was deserving of that award. I am curious as to which part of my admission is incorrect or inaccurate.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:02 pm

I took your comment addressed to south fans with the "them" meaning a collective of all things "South", but I see your point. The error I was referring to was that I don't think there is a bias toward south fans. There is a bias by a limited number of individuals against another limited number of individuals, neither group who are representative of anything but themselves. Surely we have more common sense than to take some comments on social media as being indicative as to the thoughts and character of an entire group of people. Have we all stooped so low as to become news reporters (now there I've done gone and made a generalization myself).

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:40 pm

KDunbar wrote:I took your comment addressed to south fans with the "them" meaning a collective of all things "South", but I see your point. The error I was referring to was that I don't think there is a bias toward south fans. There is a bias by a limited number of individuals against another limited number of individuals, neither group who are representative of anything but themselves. Surely we have more common sense than to take some comments on social media as being indicative as to the thoughts and character of an entire group of people. Have we all stooped so low as to become news reporters (now there I've done gone and made a generalization myself).

I can see where my comment misdirected you, that is my mistake for not being more clear in what i was trying to say. I can not speak about the bias others may or may not have, only my own. Others can think what they want, but some of the comments made don't provide a good look to the onlookers, and it is human nature to generalize.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:05 pm

And thus we constantly strive, as in wrestling, to become better.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:45 pm

Calm down everyone... it is just WV wrestling!
Now who is going to train for the Olympics? :lol:

Return to “High School Wrestling”