Participation trophies @ WV AAA Wrestling championships!

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
rodneyjwv

Participation trophies @ WV AAA Wrestling championships!

Postby rodneyjwv » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:27 am

I'm sure I may ruffle some feathers with this, I will not be apologizing for my comments.

Parkersburg South High School's head coach is by Far the best in the State of West Virginia, and it has been proven on the mat by the wrestlers. I need it explained to me why WVSSAC continues to pass out participation trophies to the second or third place coaches!
I wouldn't want to explain to my grandchildren that I won coach of the year, when I finished second! Well kids they felt I deserved it because my team lost to the number one team by 74 points. What a Joke!

Also confused how you spilt the wrestler of the year award between an undefeated Wrestler, which has not given up a offensive point in his Highschool career, with a Senior wrestler that had more than a handful of losses his senior year. I am not bashing the other wrestler, he is an outstanding young man, and will follow wrestling into the next level in college with success I'm sure.

That being said, he isn't the best or co-best wrestler in the state, that honor could have been more palatable if the other wrestler was a 2-3-4x state champion, or even a wrestler that had been in finals every year they wrestled in HS, That would be worthy of Wrestler of the year in my eyes.

Again I will say these are my opinions, not bashing any wrestlers or coaches, as usual I'm bashing the Wrestling authorities in the state!
Next year they will pick a tennis coach as coach of the year, when south wins there 6th consecutive AAA title! Wrestler of the year will go to 5th place regional winner as long as he/she doesn't wrestle for South.
Rodney James
HS Wrestling Fan GO SOUTH!!

mscoach64

Re: Participation trophies @ WV AAA Wrestling championships!

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:19 pm

yeah.............I feel bad for ya

russling

Postby russling » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:57 pm

mscoach64 wrote:yeah.............I feel bad for ya

Agree

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:18 pm

It looks like the criteria for COY is to finish 2nd and stay inside 100 points of South.

Funny how AA/A can get it right, but AAA coaches are biased!
Moderator WV Mat

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:00 pm

Really south fans will complain about anything!!!your program is great thanks to your feeder programs which is great for this sport I have nothing but respect for you but come on don’t complain about this useless crap they have individual and another team title grow up move on. AAA isn’t like it used to be either AA/A is a bit tougher now days

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:09 pm

This is the most selfish, ignorant post I’ve ever read on here. You don’t need to apologize. Your post says how sorry you are. Don’t drink and post.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:47 pm

wrestlingfan23202 wrote:Really south fans will complain about anything!!!your program is great thanks to your feeder programs which is great for this sport I have nothing but respect for you but come on don’t complain about this useless crap they have individual and another team title grow up move on. AAA isn’t like it used to be either AA/A is a bit tougher now days

I would agree with that if it weren’t so biased. Six individual state champions and 5 AAA titles in a row? How does coach Smith not deserve it?
Moderator WV Mat

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:51 pm

Gator wrote:It looks like the criteria for COY is to finish 2nd and stay inside 100 points of South.

AA missed it last year

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Apparently you did put down the winners of the coy and ow. Before you blame the WVSSAC for naming the winners, if I am not mistaken, these 2 awards are elected by the coaches of the AAA team after the tournament is over? Just seems like sour grapes, why bash the winners of the awards?

mscoach132

Postby mscoach132 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:13 pm

Frank wrote:
Gator wrote:It looks like the criteria for COY is to finish 2nd and stay inside 100 points of South.

AA missed it last year

They missed a lot of stuff in AA last year and that was one of them.

Gorilla

Postby Gorilla » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Who won coy and mow?

Northside River Rat

Postby Northside River Rat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:06 pm

Coach of the year was the one that set a record for four unsportsmanlike conduct penalties! Can't figure the criteria for this award?? Can someone explain?? Thank you!!

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:35 pm

soupbone wrote:Apparently you did put down the winners of the coy and ow. Before you blame the WVSSAC for naming the winners, if I am not mistaken, these 2 awards are elected by the coaches of the AAA team after the tournament is over? Just seems like sour grapes, why bash the winners of the awards?

And that is why the award holds no credibility whatsoever anymore. It’s a shame that they keep Rod Oldham’s name attached to it because whenever you let jealous coaches decide on these things it becomes a disgrace.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

Fan55

Postby Fan55 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:56 pm

This is a prime example of the hate for Parkersburg south they are very disliked in many ways. All the jealousy gets old bottom line is take your kids and teams to better tournaments as they do and get better. Instead u choose to give co COY awards and MOW awards what a joke. Even more obvious when a south kid had his guy flat on his back for like 15 seconds and the pin wasn’t called then the kid come back and won.

Matfan76

Postby Matfan76 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:27 pm

wrestlingfan23202 wrote:Really south fans will complain about anything!!!your program is great thanks to your feeder programs which is great for this sport I have nothing but respect for you but come on don’t complain about this useless crap they have individual and another team title grow up move on. AAA isn’t like it used to be either AA/A is a bit tougher now days

Yeah, I heard South’s coaches don’t even show up at practice. Why would they need to? I mean like you implied, the kids got all the coaching they would ever need from their respective feeder programs. The wrestler’s decide their schedule and how they feel practices should be run. The coaches just show up at tournaments because if the kids are busy wrestling they need someone just sitting there not coaching at the corner of the mat. No effort on the coaches part to get the kids ready.

Slingblade33

Postby Slingblade33 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Coach of the year - It shouldn’t always go to the coach that wins the state championship, if so, wouldn’t it kind of be a pointless award? South clearly has a lot of support, not only from the coaching staff, but the community, the feeder programs from 5 year olds all the way up through the middle schools and through high school...it’s the coaching, community, parents, athletes, etc...they clearly put a lot of energy into the wrestling programs from top to bottom. That said, I am sure the head coach is great and the HC is the face of the program and has to keep the momentum going, but that said, theoretically, you could probably plug a lot of people into the HC spot at South next year for example and the program would probably still be successful, as a result of all the spokes in the wheel already in place and turning. That said, imagine a HC at a program that has zero support, little to no developed feeder programs, taking over the reigns for a school that has never scored a point at the state tournament, then that coach goes in and within a year puts together a competitive team with zero state champs but a few athletes make the podium. This is a hypothetical, but wouldn’t you see how an argument for “COY” could go to a coach that doesn’t necessarily tuna dominate program? Not saying that is what happened, just trying to illustrate a point.

Outstanding Wrestler - This goes to the wrestler who had the best tournament, for whatever reason. It doesn’t mean the best season, the best career, those awards would be the “Dutton” award for example. So, if somebody has a really great tournament they could get “OW” without having the most dominate overall season. Again, that said, just trying to be devils advocate, I have no dog in this race.

Jason Weigle

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Coach of the Year Awards (just looked at last 2 seasons for info)
NFL
M. Nagy 2018
S. McVay 2017

B. Belicheck not since 2010

NBA
D. Casey 2017-2018
M. D'Antoni 2016-2017

NCAAMB
T. Bennett Virginia 2018
M. Few Gonzaga 2017

NCAA FB
B. Kelly Notre Dame 2018
S. Frost UCF 2017

None of which won their respective championship.

I guess all of these got it wrong as well

Gorilla

Postby Gorilla » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:49 pm

Still waiting for somebody to say who won these

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:09 am

Gorilla wrote:Still waiting for somebody to say who won these

Coach Leggett from Wheeling Park COY award
Carmen from John Marshal and Amos from South shared Outstanding wrestler.

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:56 am

Maybe when Amos wrestles his last match he will get the “WV GOAT” award. No losses and no points given up is hard to do any better than that.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:09 am

Well looking at results........South had the same amount of champions this year as they did last year. They had less placers overall and scored 40 less points.

Wheeling Park had 3 more placers and 1 more champ than last year, while scoring 67 more points than last year.

It seems as though South regressed from last year, while WP improved from last year. Coach of the year, in my opinion and apparently in the opinion of those who voted, believe CoY should go to the coach that shows the most improvement over the course of the season, and from one year to another. Looks like they got that right.

Braxton is an amazing wrestler and an even better young man, but none of his previous titles matter when talking about Outstanding Wrestler. Unless he has found a way to win 3 state titles in just 1 tournament, the only title that matters is the one he just won. Carman had an amazing tournament and beat the wrestler ranked ahead of him in a great match. They both deserved the award.

If the south fans want to know why there is so much bias against them, look no further than this thread. Whining and crying because they did not win a coach of the year award. You can always expect the South program to be competitive and be in the running to win the whole thing year in and year out, but you can't expect them to do it with class.

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:20 am

JustSomeone wrote:Well looking at results........South had the same amount of champions this year as they did last year. They had less placers overall and scored 40 less points.

Wheeling Park had 3 more placers and 1 more champ than last year, while scoring 67 more points than last year.

It seems as though South regressed from last year, while WP improved from last year. Coach of the year, in my opinion and apparently in the opinion of those who voted, believe CoY should go to the coach that shows the most improvement over the course of the season, and from one year to another. Looks like they got that right.

Braxton is an amazing wrestler and an even better young man, but none of his previous titles matter when talking about Outstanding Wrestler. Unless he has found a way to win 3 state titles in just 1 tournament, the only title that matters is the one he just won. Carman had an amazing tournament and beat the wrestler ranked ahead of him in a great match. They both deserved the award.

If the south fans want to know why there is so much bias against them, look no further than this thread. Whining and crying because they did not win a coach of the year award. You can always expect the South program to be competitive and be in the running to win the whole thing year in and year out, but you can't expect them to do it with class.

Couldn't agree more!!!

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:33 am

JustSomeone wrote:Well looking at results........South had the same amount of champions this year as they did last year. They had less placers overall and scored 40 less points.

Regressed? South lost a 4x state champion and Dutton award Winner in Josh Humphreys, another 3x state champion in Luke Martin, a runner-up in Drew Dunbar and a 3rd place winner in Zach Collins. The other four that won the state last year, won again. You cannot get any higher than 1st. They had two new first place winners and should have had a 7th champion at 113 (had a kid pinned for 30 seconds). People like you obviously aren't knowledgeable enough to post on this website. There should be an IQ requirement, just like there should be for procreating. It is not the most improved team (coach) award. I guess going 6-2 in the finals and beating the second place team by 73 points. Braxton is the best wrestler in the state and should be awarded the Dutton (first underclassmen ever). It's not about whining it's about crazies like you that talk but don't listen or watch. Congrats to WP for getting at least 4 team points deducted. Most I've ever witnessed in a tournament. Coach should have been mailed his plaque b/c he should have been ejected :roll:

Again, you can't get any higher than first and it's sad that a team like South always gets punished for it.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:33 am

figure4match wrote:

Couldn't agree more!!!

And that makes you an idiot :roll:

-Caitlyn Jenner

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 am

shemailman wrote:

Regressed? South lost a 4x state champion and Dutton award Winner in Josh Humphreys, another 3x state champion in Luke Martin, a runner-up in Drew Dunbar and a 3rd place winner in Zach Collins. The other four that won the state last year, won again. You cannot get any higher than 1st. They had two new first place winners and should have had a 7th champion at 113 (had a kid pinned for 30 seconds). People like you obviously aren't knowledgeable enough to post on this website. There should be an IQ requirement, just like there should be for procreating. It is not the most improved team (coach) award. I guess going 6-2 in the finals and beating the second place team by 73 points. Braxton is the best wrestler in the state and should be awarded the Dutton (first underclassmen ever). It's not about whining it's about crazies like you that talk but don't listen or watch. Congrats to WP for getting at least 4 team points deducted. Most I've ever witnessed in a tournament. Coach should have been mailed his plaque b/c he should have been ejected :roll:

Again, you can't get any higher than first and it's sad that a team like South always gets punished for it.

According to the stats, South did not do any better than last year, WP did. I have my own opinions about the south program from my experience, but no one can deny that they are successful. It seems as though south fans are shocked that other schools can get better and that other coaches and wrestlers deserve awards too. Not once did i say Braxton wasn't a great wrestler, and an argument for the Dutton can absolutely be made. But Outstanding wrestler is about just the tournament, and Carman had a great one too (without theatrics).

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:42 am

I believe Humphreys won 3 state titles without South's help, did he not? South can't claim he is a 4 time champ for them, he is a 1 time champ for south. He won his 3 somewhere else.

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:45 am

JustSomeone wrote:
shemailman wrote:

According to the stats, South did not do any better than last year, WP did. I have my own opinions about the south program from my experience, but no one can deny that they are successful. It seems as though south fans are shocked that other schools can get better and that other coaches and wrestlers deserve awards too. Not once did i say Braxton wasn't a great wrestler, and an argument for the Dutton can absolutely be made. But Outstanding wrestler is about just the tournament, and Carman had a great one too (without theatrics).

Your opinions are probably based on jealously like most others too. Carmen had a great tournament, no doubt about it. Congrats to him.

-Caitlyn Jenner

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:46 am

JustSomeone wrote:I believe Humphreys won 3 state titles without South's help, did he not? South can't claim he is a 4 time champ for them, he is a 1 time champ for south. He won his 3 somewhere else.

Wasn't claiming Humprheys as a South 4x champ, I said he was a 4x state champ and South lost him after last season. Pay attention.

-Caitlyn Jenner

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 am

shemailman wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:I believe Humphreys won 3 state titles without South's help, did he not? South can't claim he is a 4 time champ for them, he is a 1 time champ for south. He won his 3 somewhere else.

Wasn't claiming Humprheys as a South 4x champ, I said he was a 4x state champ and South lost him after last season. Pay attention.

You seem to ignore that they scored less points and had one less placer, while WP score more points, had more placers, and more finalists. Not trying ti downplay what south did this season, but according to the numbers south did better last year than this year while WP did better. You can clearly see where the thought process is from the voters.

My opinions are based on past dealing with coaches, fans, wrestlers, and the program as a whole. Certainly not jealousy.

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:06 am

JustSomeone wrote:
shemailman wrote:

You seem to ignore that they scored less points and had one less placer, while WP score more points, had more placers, and more finalists. Not trying ti downplay what south did this season, but according to the numbers south did better last year than this year while WP did better. You can clearly see where the thought process is from the voters.

My opinions are based on past dealing with coaches, fans, wrestlers, and the program as a whole. Certainly not jealousy.

Again, couldn't agree more!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”