High school states duals

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Jchap8750

High school states duals

Postby Jchap8750 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am

I heard rumor this weekend of a possible high school state duals? Does any know if there is any truth to this actually being in the works? I think it would be a great idea.

Bearhugger

Re: High school states duals

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:49 pm

What are everybody's thoughts and ideas on this? How could it work? Would it be open to all teams that want to participate? Would the planning be similar to setting up for the state tournament?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:02 pm

I think it could be held at a smaller facility. I wouldn’t imagine that teams without a close to full lineup would participate unless they had a very competitive lineup. All schools in 1 class, doesn’t matter if AAA, AA, or A. Honestly can’t believe it doesn’t happen already. BTW I’d really like to see a dual between South and Point.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 pm

i'd say you'd have regional duals (just like individual duals) and then a state tournament. May even break out the dreaded pill twice in a matter of weeks....

aacoach131

Postby aacoach131 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Being from TN, they have that or did not sure anymore. They did a region I believe and then had the state tournament.

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Jchap8750 wrote:I think it could be held at a smaller facility. I wouldn’t imagine that teams without a close to full lineup would participate unless they had a very competitive lineup. All schools in 1 class, doesn’t matter if AAA, AA, or A. Honestly can’t believe it doesn’t happen already. BTW I’d really like to see a dual between South and Point.

Me too point looks very solid especially at small weights south still wins tho but it would be some good matches

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Then brings up another dead horse. Region 4. Proof that it needs to be split up

WV’eer

Postby WV’eer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:19 pm

I’m definitely more pro-WV than pro-MD...that being said MD maintains a nice State Dual Tourney...it starts out with what would be referred to as sectionals here, then goes to region and finally states. I’ll paste the link of region and state duals from this year. The scoring avg seems to be very similar to what MD uses for football. WVSSAC and MPSSAA both do plenty right and wrong but you can’t please everyone all the time...what may be good for one class/region may be completely different for the other classes/regions. That actually touches on another thread I just read as well.

http://mdwrestling.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 919d1b55cf

I wanted to upload picture of link I pasted but said file was too large.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:44 pm

i'd say the tourney would have to be held in a bigger facility because more wrestlers would be competing

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:45 am

For once I am being serious. If the goal is to just find out who the best dual team is, then why not have a panel of individuals (picking this would be the most controversial aspect) pick the top 9 dual teams in the state, regardless of the school size. It would be fairly easy to get at least the top 5, 6, or 7 teams correct and the significance of whether numbers 10 & 11 (who were not chosen) were better than numbers 8 & 9 (who were chosen) would be nil. Have teams #1, #6, #9, teams #2, #5, #8, & teams #3, #4, #7 (someone with more experience might have a better way to construct this) placed into 3 round robin groupings (thus each team wrestling 2 matches). The top 3 from each group, plus potentially a fourth team based on some criteria, advance to another round robin grouping (I realize there is the possibility of 3 teams in one grouping all going 1-1, but I'm sure there is a fair way that someone knows how to deal with this, shoot we could even draw a pill... okay, so that wasn't serious). This would require another 2 or 3 matches for each team and thus could be completed in one day. If the idea isn't to get more schools actually involved, we know that just 6 teams could be chosen and it is extremely unlikely that the 7th or 8th team left out even had a shot of actually winning overall. Everybody wrestles everybody, 5 matches and you have your winner. Possible, but unlikely, that 3 teams go 4-1, having lost to each other. Some criteria for breaking the tie likely exists, or at least it was fun anyway. When to schedule this, obviously on the wasted week between regionals and states. Don't have this count as a weigh in so teams don't have to needlessly save one just in case. It could be wrestled in an hermetically sealed environment, televised on monitors for everyone to watch, while the wrestlers under went very intense skin checks by 3 board certified Dermatologists, pre-wrestling betadine immersion, and post wrestling irradiation (again, that last part wasn't really serious).

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:33 pm

KDunbar wrote:For once I am being serious. If the goal is to just find out who the best dual team is, then why not have a panel of individuals (picking this would be the most controversial aspect) pick the top 9 dual teams in the state, regardless of the school size. It would be fairly easy to get at least the top 5, 6, or 7 teams correct and the significance of whether numbers 10 & 11 (who were not chosen) were better than numbers 8 & 9 (who were chosen) would be nil. Have teams #1, #6, #9, teams #2, #5, #8, & teams #3, #4, #7 (someone with more experience might have a better way to construct this) placed into 3 round robin groupings (thus each team wrestling 2 matches). The top 3 from each group, plus potentially a fourth team based on some criteria, advance to another round robin grouping (I realize there is the possibility of 3 teams in one grouping all going 1-1, but I'm sure there is a fair way that someone knows how to deal with this, shoot we could even draw a pill... okay, so that wasn't serious). This would require another 2 or 3 matches for each team and thus could be completed in one day. If the idea isn't to get more schools actually involved, we know that just 6 teams could be chosen and it is extremely unlikely that the 7th or 8th team left out even had a shot of actually winning overall. Everybody wrestles everybody, 5 matches and you have your winner. Possible, but unlikely, that 3 teams go 4-1, having lost to each other. Some criteria for breaking the tie likely exists, or at least it was fun anyway. When to schedule this, obviously on the wasted week between regionals and states. Don't have this count as a weigh in so teams don't have to needlessly save one just in case. It could be wrestled in an hermetically sealed environment, televised on monitors for everyone to watch, while the wrestlers under went very intense skin checks by 3 board certified Dermatologists, pre-wrestling betadine immersion, and post wrestling irradiation (again, that last part wasn't really serious).

Sounds exciting now how does it get put into the process of getting approved by the WVSSAC?

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:29 pm

I do realize we have new administrators at the WVSSAC but as far as wrestling goes nothing much has changed for the last 30 years or so. I along with others put quite a bit of time on a dual format for the WV Duals. Bill Archer, Bill Hinegardner and others that I forget had a proposal. The administration was approached and they said they would let us know when the powers at be ( principals ) were going to meet and the proposal could be discussed. Six months later at the yearly officials rules clinic the question was asked “ what happened to you letting me know when their meeting was going to take place “ the answer “ we just don’t have time for that right now “ So the WVSSAC didn’t have time for several volunteers to put together a tournament and give them all the money. That’s the way that works in case you didn’t know. Bill Archer does all the work for the state tournament and basically gets an “ atta boy” I am not saying the new guys wouldn’t do it but they so far have not done anything to improve wrestling of any significance that I am aware of. Also originally the WV Duals was an attempt to get the interest going but even the WV HS was not really into it.
David Jeffrey

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:53 pm

It’s sad that the ssac doesn’t want to do anything but collect a paycheck. In Florida top 2 from district/sectionals move on to regions and than top 2 from regions moves on to states. Leaving just 8 teams for states. State duals is optional so teams don’t have to participate if they don’t want to. West Virginia could easily get top 2 from each region and use the dreaded pill system to make brackets. Two brackets of 8 could easily be held at one of the Parkersburg nice facilities lol.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:54 pm

csmith11 wrote:It’s sad that the ssac doesn’t want to do anything but collect a paycheck. In Florida top 2 from district/sectionals move on to regions and than top 2 from regions moves on to states. Leaving just 8 teams for states. State duals is optional so teams don’t have to participate if they don’t want to. West Virginia could easily get top 2 from each region and use the dreaded pill system to make brackets. Two brackets of 8 could easily be held at one of the Parkersburg nice facilities lol.

Nice Parkersburg facilities?
Please not Parkersburg sites; ROAC needs some serious HVAC work with sardine seating and tiny aisles and about two toilets while the PHS Fieldhouse has about 20 parking spots and splinters in the antiquated bleachers, and you can’t understand crap on that PA system. My vote is Wheeling Civic Center the best venue for sporting events in WV or Charleston Civic Center close second.

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:32 pm

a high school gym is never going to compete with those facilities. You have to look at how much it cost to have those facilities for a weekend compared to a a high school. You have to try to get your foot in the door before asking the ssac to book a big facility. Which leads me to why I said the Parkersburg schools. When it comes to high school gyms I haven’t seen to many on par with them.

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:07 pm

csmith11 wrote:a high school gym is never going to compete with those facilities. You have to look at how much it cost to have those facilities for a weekend compared to a a high school. You have to try to get your foot in the door before asking the ssac to book a big facility. Which leads me to why I said the Parkersburg schools. When it comes to high school gyms I haven’t seen to many on par with them.

I agree a HS gym would not work. I also agree with others that WVSSAC is never going to foot the bill for a big venue like Wheeling until they know it will work. A good compromise would be some place like an armory. The National Guard Duals in January was ran in the Summersville Armory with 27 teams and no major issues.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:51 pm

mscoach64 wrote:i'd say the tourney would have to be held in a bigger facility because more wrestlers would be competing

Agree!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:07 pm

As alluded to in another post above, is there really any interest by the top schools involved in participating in a state dual championship? Or is it just a few fans with the actual interest? It's kind of like the OVAC, by the end of the year one already knows who are the best dual teams and there isn't that much interest or excitement.

Return to “High School Wrestling”