Heavyweight Stalling

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
csham27

Re: Heavyweight Stalling

Postby csham27 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Bias yes, but not as bad as you think, he is my son and am very proud of him and i don't care who knows. That being said that was not a suplex, a suplex throws a wrestler backward into the air and onto his back and neck, this isn't what happened , Summers landed on his side the only reason anything was above Shamblins head was because Summers had Shamblins head locked down by his side. Shamblins knee went down, Summers landed on his left side with Shamblin straddling him. "Moral of the story don't illegally slam someone if you don't want them to lay there."? So are you saying Shamblin meant to 'illegally" slam Summers, and saying Summers should have stayed down to take the win? Ridiculous, Shamblin doesn't wrestle like that he doesn't try to hurt anyone on purpose and i bet if you ask Summers he would even agree, and i believe the rules say that it is up to the official to call the match if he thinks it was purposely done, which is what happened. I believe if it were up to the boys the match would have continued. I know had roles been reversed Shamblin would have wanted to finish it especially at states, win or lose and i have no reason to think Summers would do different. So there wasn't finger pointing from me and if he was hurt im sorry, but he did come back and wrestle which leads me to believe he would have continued in that match. We have been involved with that official for 10 years and he is one of the best around, i just think it was a bad call it happens unfortunately, my opinion no one has to agree.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:54 pm

First let me say I did not see it. However I feel it is important to know that a suplex is illegal by application. Which means does matter how he landed. If the the initial was straight up then it is illegal. They did that to prevent injuries. Understand a lot of time people twist to side at last second. Just like a back bow! Illegal by application doesn’t matter if pressure or not. It is a tuff call to make because it happens so quickly. I personally liked it when you didn’t call it right away but walk over to table and wrote slam or not. Then did not reveal it until after injury time was used. In no way saying anyone would stay down on purpose. But this made everybody think.
Last edited by forthekids on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:15 pm

“ just for the kids” knows what he is talking about.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:31 pm

That’s why folk style sucks, i get thrown both salto and suplay, as well as slammed off the mats head first. But I still get up. Guess those are the rules of this American “catch as catch can wrestling.” Instead of disqualifying the “ thrower” just give the other guy a point? Just imagine when we go to both Greco and Freestyle for high school wrestling :D

Then the real men will show up!

Gentlemen start practicing for the real wrestling this summer Greco and Free! Good training!

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:33 pm

forthekids wrote:First let me say I did not see it. However I feel it is important to know that a suplex is illegal by application. Which means does matter how he landed. If the the initial was straight up then it is illegal. They did that to prevent injuries. Understand a lot of time people twist to side at last second. Just like a back bow! Illegal by application doesn’t matter if pressure or not. It is a tuff call to make because it happens so quickly. I personally liked it when you didn’t call it right away but walk over to table and wrote slam or not. Then did not reveal it until after injury time was used. In no way saying anyone would stay down on purpose. But this made everybody think.

Amen!!!! You’re one of the best in the business and we love having you around! Don’t leave this sport! Summers wanted to continue I could tell you that but for safety reasons they wouldn’t let him..... people that make a lot more money for those decisions than us chose that until he was fully cleared.... sad but that’s what happened. I’m not saying he purposely did it to injure him at all.... and you should be proud sham!!! He is a good kid and good wrestler it was unfortunate.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:10 pm

Freestyle states just around the corner. Both should enter. bring cook along too. The comment by Summers fan that he had to back up in the semis because if you give any resistance or forward pressure while your opponent has an underhook you’ll get thrown made me laugh. It’s clear that someone isn’t teaching anything other than folk style. I was waiting for Real Greco to speak up. Fly him in for some of that fancy California teaching. Lesson #1 how to score from an overhook.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:23 am

Hey Stud!

I don’t know if CA has any fancy wrestling but we do have clubs that practice ONLY Greco and Free all year round. WV has good coaches there to teach both. In Greco, having the underhooks is an advantage that can produce a lot of throws!

I agree with you about entering the free tournament in WV.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:35 am

forthekids wrote:First let me say I did not see it. However I feel it is important to know that a suplex is illegal by application. Which means does not matter how he landed. If the the initial was straight up then it is illegal. They did that to prevent injuries. Understand a lot of time people twist to side at last second. Just like a back bow! Illegal by application doesn’t matter if pressure or not. It is a tuff call to make because it happens so quickly. I personally liked it when you didn’t call it right away but walk over to table and wrote slam or not. Then did not reveal it until after injury time was used. In no way saying anyone would stay down on purpose. But this made everybody think.

Underdog3382

Postby Underdog3382 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:30 am

It seems like the first couple of tournaments I attended this year the officials were calling stalling/fleeing the mat fairly regularly, forcing the heavyweights to wrestle. It almost seemed as though it was a point of emphasis for the officials. The last few tournaments (including Winner's Choice) it seemed to be back to the same old thing - letting heavyweights who don't want to wrestle in neutral get away with it. It seems like in too many of the heavyweight matches the strategy is to win 1-0 or essentially let the match be decided by the luck of the draw in ultimate ride out.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Underdog3382 wrote:It seems like the first couple of tournaments I attended this year the officials were calling stalling/fleeing the mat fairly regularly, forcing the heavyweights to wrestle. It almost seemed as though it was a point of emphasis for the officials. The last few tournaments (including Winner's Choice) it seemed to be back to the same old thing - letting heavyweights who don't want to wrestle in neutral get away with it. It seems like in too many of the heavyweight matches the strategy is to win 1-0 or essentially let the match be decided by the luck of the draw in ultimate ride out.

My pet peeve on stalling being called on 285's is when officials reward a wrestler for simply collar-tying and driving the opponent backwards and never attempting an offensive move. I hate seeing the only wrestler who attempts offensive moves to be hit several times for stalling simply because the other guy is stronger puts on a collar-tie and shoves him backwards some.

Underdog3382

Postby Underdog3382 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:17 pm

I think for the most part the refs are fine. I guess I would just prefer if they made stalling/fleeing a point of emphasis in heavyweight matches.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Out of bounds related stalling is sometimes harder to call on the 285’s when wrestling on a small mat.

KSRefBP

Postby KSRefBP » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Rassin wrote:I just hate when you remember the match because of a call made by an official. Great matches should be remembered because both wrestlers wrestled their tails off. I am of the philosophy that officials shouldn't be noticed at all. Unfortunately, WV has a few officials that still think the show is about them.

When two great and equal wrestlers go at it more than likely it will be a low scorning match. Probably a 1 point match in some cases. This doesn't mean that the wrestlers were stalling or not looking to score. It means there are less opportunities to score because the other person isn't opening themselves up to a vulnerable position as often. It irritates me when a 1 point match is determined by a ref and not by the wrestlers.

Not all officials are like this. I'd say the majority are actually wonderful and get the calls right 90% of the time and will admit when they may have miscalled something. But the officials who "never" miscall something just toxic for the sport. (If you think otherwise, look at any professional sports league when the refs cost a game)

Now here come the people that say "if you don't like it, become a ref". Ok, well is the answer to that dumb phrase. They volunteered to become officials. No one drafted them, it isn't mandatory, plus they are getting paid. They signed up to get the calls right and when they don't do that they should be allowed to be criticized.

And even when they are criticized and proven wrong there are no repercussions. They'll be right back out there next weekend.

I know no one is perfect. Missed calls are in all sports. We should look to minimize them. I just don't want to see an official decide a winner in Huntington. Let the kids do it.

Anyways, bring on the haters.

I'm not going to hate on your post. I will say that officials are held accountable when it is deemed appropriate to do so. The general public just does not hear about it. Actions and conversations occur to get it right the next time, regardless of any "punishment" that may be handed down.

And I'm not going to say put up or shut up when it comes to being an official. I will say I was recruited to do this. And now I'm doing the same to you and others. Not a put up or shut up. But rather...our numbers across the entire state are dangerously low. In the area I officiate in, we've had to tell a few middle schools sorry...can't provide you any officials because we don't have any. I'm not saying come out if you think you can do better. I'm saying come out because we may have a serious problem in a few very short years.

Brian P.
KS1845
Brian Pauley
Retired Kanawha Southern Wrestling Official
KS1845

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:14 pm

Refereeing any sport is a tough job but we who do it take pride in being the best we can be for the participants!! When I officiated wrestling i tried to stay in good shape, worked on my trade, always trying to improve, taught the younger officials proper technique, was open and approachable, and recruited the best possible(in my opinion) persons to the sport to make it better!!! When people in the stands or who are not very up to date on the rule changes that occur yearly try to say that one official wasn't very good or that he didn't know the rules or call something right it bothers me because I know the effort and training that these guys put in !!! When you look at the percentages of right calls against wrong ones I would venture to say that the refs are about 99% right!!! It's a shame that the only calls that people remember are the 1% (if that) that is missed . What we should do instead is encourage them because of the effort they put in because without officials there would be no sports. If you have a son or daughter that wants to become an official encourage them to that profession not only to give back to the sport of choice but also to allow us to get people in sports that know the sport. Most young folks want to coach at the pee wee level or whatever because they don't want the pressure of officiating but I believe if they truly love the sport they should make an effort to make all sports better by giving it a try. Besides who knows their sport better than a young person who truly loves whatever sport they play!!!!

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Refereeing any sport is a tough job but we who do it take pride in being the best we can be for the participants!! When I officiated wrestling i tried to stay in good shape, worked on my trade, always trying to improve, taught the younger officials proper technique, was open and approachable, and recruited the best possible(in my opinion) persons to the sport to make it better!!! When people in the stands or who are not very up to date on the rule changes that occur yearly try to say that one official wasn't very good or that he didn't know the rules or call something right it bothers me because I know the effort and training that these guys put in !!! When you look at the percentages of right calls against wrong ones I would venture to say that the refs are about 99% right!!! It's a shame that the only calls that people remember are the 1% (if that) that is missed . What we should do instead is encourage them because of the effort they put in because without officials there would be no sports. If you have a son or daughter that wants to become an official encourage them to that profession not only to give back to the sport of choice but also to allow us to get people in sports that know the sport. Most young folks want to coach at the pee wee level or whatever because they don't want the pressure of officiating but I believe if they truly love the sport they should make an effort to make all sports better by giving it a try. Besides who knows their sport better than a young person who truly loves whatever sport they play!!!!GK

HiCoach

Postby HiCoach » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Start transitioning to the college rule, every time wrestlers go out of bounds they make a call. Either action of both wrestlers attacking, or stalling. Some may not like this, but it forces the wrestlers to have mat awareness and wrestle center. Took some time to get used to, but after coaching in college I ended up loving the rule. Definitely would create more strategy in heavy weights.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 pm

HiCoach wrote:Start transitioning to the college rule, every time wrestlers go out of bounds they make a call. Either action of both wrestlers attacking, or stalling. Some may not like this, but it forces the wrestlers to have mat awareness and wrestle center. Took some time to get used to, but after coaching in college I ended up loving the rule. Definitely would create more strategy in heavy weights.

“ strategery”

Underdog3382

Postby Underdog3382 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Return to “High School Wrestling”