Was WVU coach Flynn at the state tournament?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Heath

Was WVU coach Flynn at the state tournament?

Postby Heath » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:45 pm

Just wondering if he or any assistants were there. Thanks

Studcradle

Re: Was WVU coach Flynn at the state tournament?

Postby Studcradle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:45 pm

I think the wvssac posted a picture of coach moore in the Big Sandy Arena. Great to see that the wvu coaches are continuing with Henson’s interest in West Virginia kids. Was not all that long ago that turnbull couldn’t be found there unless his son was wrestling in the tournament.
Carman, Lusher, Hall any other WVU commits?

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 am

I doubt that any of them were there. You'd think that they'd make their presence known if they were at the WV state tournament :!:
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:04 am

shemailman wrote:I doubt that any of them were there. You'd think that they'd make their presence known if they were at the WV state tournament :!:

Cliff Moore was there. I had dinner with him at the Marshall Cafe between Session 2 and 3 on Friday and he was there for the finals on Saturday. Also introduced him to Bill Archer and everyone at the head table. I think you should get your facts straight before you start being critical and negative.

Also, the team was competing in South Dakota that weekend and he stayed behind just to come to the tournament.

Marion Co. Fan

Postby Marion Co. Fan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:33 am

Coach Coleman Scott from North Carolina was there for the finals.

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:29 pm

John Reader NCAA champ at Iowa State was in the building

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:36 pm

mike.carman wrote:
Cliff Moore was there. I had dinner with him at the Marshall Cafe between Session 2 and 3 on Friday and he was there for the finals on Saturday. Also introduced him to Bill Archer and everyone at the head table. I think you should get your facts straight before you start being critical and negative.

Also, the team was competing in South Dakota that weekend and he stayed behind just to come to the tournament.

You’ll see from my previous comments that I support the mountaineers and I picked your kid to win. I am glad they’re interested in West Virginia wrestlers. I share your frustration with consistently negative posts but to use your terminology
I think you should get your facts straight before you jeopardize a new staff/program. Coach Moore meeting with you anywhere other than your home or your school probably is a recruiting violation. So, Giving you the benefit of the doubt I am guessing that you are surely mistaken and it was just someone who looked like coach Moore who had dinner with you. Your kid has worked his butt off to be a division one wrestler and the only division one program in the state has recruited him. Don’t jeopardize your kid or his program trying to argue with anonymous people on here.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Speaking of facts, Per NCAA Division 1 recruiting guidelines for senior wrestlers, off campus contact is allowed, no more than 3 times.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:22 pm

I hope you are right! NCAA website talks about off campus contacts being permitted at the athlete’s home or home school. Does not mention “away” matches. I may be missing something. Do you have a link for your information? I would not mind being wrong on this one but I would hate to be right and have a dad or fan digging a hole for a program.

Travelingman15

Postby Travelingman15 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:50 pm

Even for signed commits? Thought after they were signed the rules were different.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:23 am

Studcradle wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

I think you should get your facts straight before you jeopardize a new staff/program. Coach Moore meeting with you anywhere other than your home or your school probably is a recruiting violation.

It is not a recruiting violation. We checked with the compliance officer. Since Anthony has already signed his NLI, contact restrictions are lifted(straight from the compliance officer). That is something Coach Moore checked on before he came down.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 am

mike.carman wrote:
Studcradle wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

I think you should get your facts straight before you jeopardize a new staff/program. Coach Moore meeting with you anywhere other than your home or your school probably is a recruiting violation.

It is not a recruiting violation. We checked with the compliance officer. Since Anthony has already signed his NLI, contact restrictions are lifted(straight from the compliance officer). That is something Coach Moore checked on before he came down. So, my facts are straight and we did not jeopardize anything and I personally don't appreciate your insinuation.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:53 am

Which insinuation? That I support wvu? That I root for your kid? That dads and fans can get caught up in arguing with anonymous posters? That it would be a shame to screw things up for your kid? wvu? You just admitted that it is a reasonable question because until compliance told Coach Moore who then told you who then told us, NO ONE knew the answer for sure, not even the wvu coaches (or else he would not have bothered asking compliance because he knew the answer). I’m happy for you and your son. The intent of the post was not to upset you it was to tell you to be careful because there are jerks who will turn you in for anything. I looked for links trying to find the rule and all I could find was rules indicating that coaches can only visit at the college, at the athlete’s school, or the athlete’s home.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:48 am

Studcradle wrote:Which insinuation? That I support wvu? That I root for your kid? That dads and fans can get caught up in arguing with anonymous posters? That it would be a shame to screw things up for your kid? wvu? You just admitted that it is a reasonable question because until compliance told Coach Moore who then told you who then told us, NO ONE knew the answer for sure, not even the wvu coaches (or else he would not have bothered asking compliance because he knew the answer). I’m happy for you and your son. The intent of the post was not to upset you it was to tell you to be careful because there are jerks who will turn you in for anything. I looked for links trying to find the rule and all I could find was rules indicating that coaches can only visit at the college, at the athlete’s school, or the athlete’s home.

That we would do something to jeopardize the program or that we would jeopardize his eligibility or violate NCAA regulations in some way. And you didn't state it as a question. It was stated as an accusation on a public forum. If I am wrong in my interpretation, I apologize.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 am

I had dinner with Gator at the state tournament along with a few Coalfield affiliates. I didn't check with the Wood County Compliance Officer "TrueSouthFanInPburg" because he blew off the state tournament.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:49 am

Truly is sad a page DOC spent building to promote the sport has turned into this. Mike good luck to Anthony looking forward to years to come.
Doc, thank you for trying to do the right thing. Some people have nothing better to do. IT IS WHAT IT IS. As a legendary coach once told me. "You have people who do for the right reasons then you have people with no clue!"

Chris Diserio
cw0441

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Me Carman I did not mean to insinuate that you wvu or your son did anything wrong intentionally. I looked at the rules that I found on the NCAA site and suggested that you edit your response if it was a violation so some jerk didn’t ruin a good thing for you or your son or the new coaches. If the rules relax after NLI is signed then I am happy to be wrong. I didn’t want you to take the bait, arguing with people and end up hurting people you care about.

FORTHEKIDS is a sure fire bet to respond if anyone from the northern panhandle or an official is mentioned. You don’t have to be the hero. Not everyone is trying to be a jerk when they call something into question. That you so routinely substitute your judgment for docs and tell us all what he envisions with his website speaks volumes about your ego.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Studcradle: Thank you for clarifying your remarks. Rest assured that both of us did our due diligence in determining whether we could have a more casual meeting or not. Might I suggest in the future, when you have concerns of this nature, don't put them on a public forum but use the private message feature instead. Written text can often take on a separate meaning from what is intended as things like body language and inflection do not get translated. I do appreciate your concern though.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pm

FORTHEKIDS is a sure fire bet to respond if anyone from the northern panhandle or an official is mentioned. You don’t have to be the hero. Not everyone is trying to be a jerk when they call something into question. That you so routinely substitute your judgment for docs and tell us all what he envisions with his website speaks volumes about your ego.[/quote]

1. I do not live in Northern panhandle.
2. Any one that knows me knows my ego is fine. That is why I don’t hide behind screen name. :D
3. How many sit down conversations have you had with Doc and his envision for WV Wreslting?
4. As Mike said, if truly concerned why not private message?
5. I will be around for a couple more years so you can criticize from the 23rd row. Gator has the 22nd :lol
Chris Diserio
Cw0441

Notice it doesn’t say OV, that would be the fine ambassadors to the North :)

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 am

I'm not sure, but can you private message and still remain anonymous? If not then that would be a problem for a lot of so-called "studs". Certainly wasn't the intelligent way to "protect" WV wrestling. However, it did serve the purpose to hopefully get Bearhugger, Gator, and all individuals remotely associated with the Coalfield area banned from all future state tournaments, thanks to his confession that I have officially documented and forwarded on to the "power-that-be" in Wood county. The chance to edit has now come and gone.

Heath

Postby Heath » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:28 am

Happy wvu had a coach on hand. Awesome to hear of a few wv boys are heading to Motown. Love it. Now we just need that Amos kid....heard he's descent lol.

Coach_Beech

Postby Coach_Beech » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:34 am

For the record and full disclosure, Hall of Fame Coach Mike Ellis, his son Reuben, his nephew by marriage Lee Cummings (future Hall of Fame Coach) and myself all enjoyed lunch at Black Sheep Burrito (formally Uno's).

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:19 am

Judging from the lunches Mike and Coach had, Gator, Bearhugger and the Coalfield connection, and the boys of Hurricane had it appears that everyone ate well at the State tourney!!!Looking forward to future adventures!!! LOL GK

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am

For the record: Congrats to Anthony Mike He is a fine young man and wrestled well at the states!!! For the record: that's what the compliance officer is for when in doubt check it out!!! Tim and all of his guys ran a spotless program at Edinboro and I'm sure it will be the same at WVU!! Tim's staff and their integrity is beyond reproach!! GK

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:01 pm

wv16refgk wrote:Judging from the lunches Mike and Coach had, Gator, Bearhugger and the Coalfield connection, and the boys of Hurricane had it appears that everyone ate well at the State tourney!!!Looking forward to future adventures!!! LOL GK

George, I saved you seat on the 22nd row and you no showed! You could have joined us in the good food.
Moderator WV Mat

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Gator: Thanks for saving me a seat but I sat over around the refs like always so I could see if some of the critics were spot on or full of bull!! Maybe next year!!!

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:33 pm

wv16refgk wrote:Gator: Thanks for saving me a seat but I sat over around the refs like always so I could see if some of the critics were spot on or full of bull!! Maybe next year!!!

It also wouldnt hurt to reteach the officails the importance of positioning

Return to “High School Wrestling”