Off Season Championship Building

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Off Season Championship Building

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Based on the coaches and parents that I talk to, the word on the street is "championships are won in the off season". I do not challenge that statement.

However, good logic is applicable in other aspects of wrestling. "Championship Tournaments and Events" are also built in the off season.

I read and hear a lot of dialogue about "the time we were done". If you want to speed things up, add a fastest pin award. Did you ever think how fast things could go with this extra incentive? How will the 3 -17 wrestler feel if he goes 1-2 in the tournament but goes home with the fastest pin award??

To add further, also have a least amount of time on the mat award. The wrestlers like this stuff.

How do you pay for these added awards? Look at your tournament's byes last season. 16 teams NO longer fills 16 brackets. Invite MORE teams, collect MORE team entry fees, and stomp out more of those byes. The extra income pays for a few extra awards.

We see out of state tournament directors advertising on WVMat for their tournaments and they are seeking MORE teams than they have brackets.

In conclusion, how many of last season's team have committed again? How may have said they are not returning? Why are they not returning?

PS: Fastest pin and Least Amount of Time awards are NOT participation trophies. Don't be an idiot.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

RealGreco

Re: Off Season Championship Building

Postby RealGreco » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:40 am

Sigh... this is so childish.
My guys don’t really care about “ The fastest pin or the least time on the mat awards!!” All they care is if they win against a good opponent! Your telling me kids come to tournaments because they want to win the “ Fastest pin” award?? I would never take my guys to a tournament that posts this garbage, it is childish and who cares??!! Ask yourself if they give these awards at the Nationals or World event.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:17 am

RealGreco wrote:Sigh... this is so childish.
My guys don’t really care about “ The fastest pin or the least time on the mat awards!!” All they care is if they win against a good opponent! Your telling me kids come to tournaments because they want to win the “ Fastest pin” award?? I would never take my guys to a tournament that posts this garbage, it is childish and who cares??!! Ask yourself if they give these awards at the Nationals or World event.

Sigh...……….SIGH...……….you missed the point. Many adults talk about how long tournaments take. Implementing awards for fast pins speed things up. I have witnessed it countless times.

SIGHHHHHH, once again...……...we are using some world event to drive the train for some local tournament. In West Virginia, the challenge is to get kids on the team (reduce forfeits) and then get some teams into tournaments (reduce byes). Filling their heads with a bunch of world champion crap probably scares most of them away.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:29 am

When realgreco talks about “his guys” are these all of the wrestlers in California or just the guys on his team? I always wonder when a California wrestler gets smoked at a national or world event if he is one of realgreco’s “guys”. I know when anyone from California wins it was one of his “guys” for sure.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Actually Stucradle

I coach at a year round Free and Greco club and yes I mentioned “ My guys” both students and team mates!( I am still competing Nationally.)You have to understand that CA has huge population to draw from as most of my students range from 5-24 years of age. Yes, I have a few that are International STARS and many that were average. Most of my kids do get “smoked” until they get to the age of 18. I am proud of them ALL whether they win or lose because my mission is to prepare them for life!! Because MOST high school kids just start really late out here. The advantage that we have is having many tournaments every weekend. If it would help you. Northern CA is the strongest in wrestling while the Southern ( where I am ) is the weakest. No sense getting offensive as I came out here because of the opportunities that provided me and my family. I will always root for a WV boy because I support ALL wrestlers from all areas of the country. This is a very very tough sport and we don’t need to fight among ourselves.
Bear.. if kids want to wrestle to try to win the fastest pin award, why not have the best looking coach award too! It will make the coaches want to bring their entire team. Just playing,
I have seen other tourney’s have WWF style championship belts And statues of their state animal in wood. I have not been back there for awhile but it seems that wrestling is in decline?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 pm

RealGreco wrote:Actually Stucradle

I coach at a year round Free and Greco club and yes I mentioned “ My guys” both students and team mates!( I am still competing Nationally.)You have to understand that CA has huge population to draw from as most of my students range from 5-24 years of age. Yes, I have a few that are International STARS and many that were average. Most of my kids do get “smoked” until they get to the age of 18. I am proud of them ALL whether they win or lose because my mission is to prepare them for life!! Because MOST high school kids just start really late out here. The advantage that we have is having many tournaments every weekend. If it would help you. Northern CA is the strongest in wrestling while the Southern ( where I am ) is the weakest. No sense getting offensive as I came out here because of the opportunities that provided me and my family. I will always root for a WV boy because I support ALL wrestlers from all areas of the country. This is a very very tough sport and we don’t need to fight among ourselves.
Bear.. if kids want to wrestle to try to win the fastest pin award, why not have the best looking coach award too! It will make the coaches want to bring their entire team. Just playing,
I have seen other tourney’s have WWF style championship belts And statues of their state animal in wood. I have not been back there for awhile but it seems that wrestling is in decline?

In West Virginia, we have a school "Parkersburg South". Maybe you still read about them. They had their banquet today. They give out many awards to include:

1. Fastest Pin
2. Fastest Pin - JV
3. Most pins
4. I have been told they also recognize ALL wrestlers who achieve a pin in 10 seconds or faster.

I did not know any of this prior to my original post. Opinions vary. You have yours, I have mine. Parkersburg South has their opinion independent of both of ours.

I would encourage all of your guys to get pins and as fast as possible.

Good luck out in California. How does Nancy feel about wrestling?

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
RealGreco wrote:Sigh... this is so childish.

Sigh...……….SIGH...……….you missed the point. Many adults talk about how long tournaments take. Implementing awards for fast pins speed things up. I have witnessed it countless times.

SIGHHHHHH, once again...……...we are using some world event to drive the train for some local tournament. In West Virginia, the challenge is to get kids on the team (reduce forfeits) and then get some teams into tournaments (reduce byes). Filling their heads with a bunch of world champion crap probably scares most of them away.

This reply right here.........whew boy.

Implementing a fastest pin award absolutely will not affect a tournament in any way whatsoever. You have not witnessed it "countless times". No wrestler goes out on the mat and says "well i was going to pin this guy in the second, but since there is a fastest pin award i will do it faster so the tournament will go quicker".

I find it ironic you criticize Greco for mentioning a world (non WV) event, but in your original reply you alluded to non WV events. If you think awards like Fastest Pin or Least Time on the Mat are going to get more kids out on the team or increase entries into tournaments....I guess you just don't understand. If i am trying to convince a kid to come out, dangling the chance to get a Fastest Pin award isn't going to seal the deal.

"Filling their heads with a bunch of world champion crap probably scares most of them away". Wow. I think any coach that is serious about this job would scoff at your statement. I want each and every one of my wrestlers to strive to be state champs, national champs, world champs, Olympians. That is a winning mindset, that is a dedicated mindset. Will every kid achieve that? No. Is that every kids dream? No. Doesn't mean that can't be the goal to strive for. Numbers are nice, but at the end of the day us coaches would rather have just a handful of kids who are willing to work to be world champs than a room full that don't.

Again Bearhugger you get on here "throwing shade", as the young kids might say, at coaches and tournament directors. You criticize for the lack of change and how things are not done to your standard from your spot at the top of the bleachers. I believe i saw an assistant coaching position was available, you should apply. Or get your coaching certification and volunteer at one of the many fine programs. Why don't you host a tournament, or get buddied up with a current tournament and director and you can help run it. Instead of criticizing and complaining, actually do something.

Return to “High School Wrestling”