Quest School of Wrestling at University HS

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach22

Quest School of Wrestling at University HS

Postby aaacoach22 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:48 am

Quest School of Wrestling at University HS is coming up in one week! Starts Wednesday, April 3rd at 6:30 PM and runs every Wednesday through May 8. Quest is owned and operated by WVU all-American Jim Akerly. Coach Akerly will be running the sessions at UHS. Cost is $75. Must have a USA wrestling card. See flyer below. Don't miss out on some great training!

http://uhswrestling.com/wp-content/uplo ... n-2019.pdf

MaleMatMaid

Re: Quest School of Wrestling at University HS

Postby MaleMatMaid » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Never heard of him

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:26 am

Then you don’t know wrestling kiddo! Jim Akerly was a great wrestler that was a finalist at the precious Midlands and has one of the best records from WVU. He is even a better coach. My respects to running a club for kids to get exposed to the International style of wrestling which is the ultimate level of wrestling.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:11 am

Which of his wrestlers have had freestyle or greco success?

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:17 am

Studcradle wrote:Which of his wrestlers have had freestyle or greco success?

Probably the same list that RealGreco claims to have :lol:

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:24 am

Jealous much?
Something that you kids need to understand. A great wrestler will have many coaches throughout his career. Most high school coaches will “ inherit” a good kid that has been through a great feeder program. A kid with great dedication on the off seasons by joining a club with different coaches will make him better. Something to make you even more jealous.. just got a kid that is now a two time D1 NCAA champion, possibly going for his 3rd title next year. His father and I are very good friends because he and his brother were coming to my club since they were 11. My question to you, how many hours of practice have you put in last week? This week? How many kids are you working with to help them in this sport? No, you rather sit behind a computer and tear down the sport! It all boils down to being negative instead of helping one another!
To answer the question about “ which of his wrestlers had Free or Greco success?” What does that matter? He is spending time away from his family helping kids get to the next level and to enjoy this sport. You think having a great record is the answer, Wrestling is an art that one has to master and trust me NO ONE has mastered it yet. Get out of WV and come to Vegas next month. Or better yet dust of your old high school singlet and “ show” us how good you are on the mat! No excuses!

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:39 pm

RealGreco wrote:My respects to running a club for kids to get exposed to the International style of wrestling which is the ultimate level of wrestling.

I am not saying anything bad about him or his club. I too think it is great that he is teaching folkstyle wrestling at a high level to wv kids at a reasonable price. Guess my point was that the kids in that club do not seem to do international styles. Your comment doesn’t make sense, they are a folkstyle team. Hillegas is their poster boy, face of the program. Great wrestler. Doesn’t do fs/gr.

Valencia’s are under your tutelage now? You helping pico too?

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:21 am

Stucradle

Kids come and go in every club.... I think Zahid and Anthony are better off training with the Arizona team as they have guys there that they can train with at their level. Pico... great kid but no... he went to another club besides last I heard he trains with his MMA club guys.
If this sport gets me on the mat 20 hours a week at my age rolling around ( without getting hurt) I am good!
My apologies as I assumed Ackerly was teaching both Free and Greco. If I had the power I would get rid of folkstye and just implement Free and Greco on all levels! I hate Folkste wrestling!

timamos

Postby timamos » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 pm

RealGreco wrote:Jealous much?
Get out of WV and come to Vegas next month. No excuses!
sorry to interrupt the conversation about Quest. Longtime reader, rare poster. Flowrestling is covering the US Open in Vegas next week. I
can’t find your name on Flo Arena. What masters division and weight are you wrestling?

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:08 pm

RealGreco wrote:Stucradle

Kids come and go in every club.... I think Zahid and Anthony are better off training with the Arizona team as they have guys there that they can train with at their level. Pico... great kid but no... he went to another club besides last I heard he trains with his MMA club guys.
If this sport gets me on the mat 20 hours a week at my age rolling around ( without getting hurt) I am good!
My apologies as I assumed Ackerly was teaching both Free and Greco. If I had the power I would get rid of folkstye and just implement Free and Greco on all levels! I hate Folkste wrestling!

Last years FloNationals 517 wrestlers - One division
This years FloNationals 355 - with a Junior Freestyle, Cadet Freestyle and a Cadet Greco

That is a 32% dropoff of wrestlers competing this weekend. So you getting rid of folkstyle the same as FloNationals did, but both advocate for growing the sport will manage to cut wrestling down 1/3 of current athletes. There is room for all three. Ask Tim Amos who already called you out, his son is highly capable in all 3, some only want to do folkstyle.

Keep all 3 and you have more kids wrestling.

timamos

Postby timamos » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:03 pm

JW I did not mean to call Greg out. I was half teasing about him telling people no excuses and then not being signed up yet. My son is going to Vegas but not because RealGreco called out the state of West Virginia. We will do our best to avoid RealGreco if he does happen to go. Kidding again. The internet needs a sarcasm font. Sorry that my post came across wrong.

I do agree with you that there is room in the sport for all three styles. Five styles if you count beach and sombo. I also agree that eliminating the different disciplines will not increase numbers. That being said I think there are wrestlers in this state who would see their folkstyle offensive production explode if they spent the off season doing Greco and Freestyle. Because I'm neither their Dad nor their Coach I keep those thoughts to myself.

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:25 am

Ahhhh .. the kidder.. when I was trying to motivate kids into getting more involved in both Free and Greco. No one calls me out unless they have a reason... this sport was NEVER been about me but I take it that people are rubbed the wrong way.
To answer your question about not seeing me on the wrestling list is because at my masters division.. we are all required to have a doctor signed off on our physical. My doctor will not sign off because he found a huge tumor in my right lung. I would still wrestle but I would be banned for life if I forged the Certificate.
Going to get treated with chemo and try for the Worlds. Been at this sport for a very very long time (1972). I don’t need anyone challenging me to back up anything. I have a bigger challenge in front of me now. I will be ready for Oct...if I had my way. Just avoid me all together. I don’t need validation from anyone.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:01 am

J.W. wrote:
RealGreco wrote:Stucradle

Last years FloNationals 517 wrestlers - One division
This years FloNationals 355 - with a Junior Freestyle, Cadet Freestyle and a Cadet Greco

That is a 32% dropoff of wrestlers competing this weekend. So you getting rid of folkstyle the same as FloNationals did, but both advocate for growing the sport will manage to cut wrestling down 1/3 of current athletes. There is room for all three. Ask Tim Amos who already called you out, his son is highly capable in all 3, some only want to do folkstyle.

Keep all 3 and you have more kids wrestling.

These numbers are shocking!! As I set alerts on Wednesday, I noticed there were only three wrestlers from WV (high school) and last season there were many. I wonder if Flo will stick to this format next season?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Wow! Thanks everyone for the texts and phone calls, very surprised!! I will be ok and I have faced adversity all my life so this is nothing. Going to be hard not going to Vegas this year because I have been going every year since 1990 and it has been a special place for me, my weight class is stacked this year! Again Thanks for the support and laughs, glad I taught you guys the LA Lakers “ Lavar Ball Syndrome” that is going on here. I hope every WV wrestler becomes successful not only in wrestling but with life.. because in life ... NO ONE cares about your winning or losing records, your State titles,World titles , everyone cares how you treat others w RESPECT! I am going to the hospital tomorrow. This message is for the people who called and texted me, for the others who don’t care just ignore!

I am out!

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:38 pm

My old friend REAL GRECO: God looks after all of us during our lifetimes!!! Sorry to hear about the tumor but I know you and you will fight until the cows come home> I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers and hopefully you will be competing again very soon!!! Take care and let me know how you are; hopefully the chemo will help and if not believe in the power of prayer. GK

Return to “High School Wrestling”