WSAZ 2020

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

WSAZ 2020

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 pm

The word on the street is Coach Bill Archer doesn't turn down anybody at the WSAZ until the 64 brackets fill up.

Truth or bluff????? More WV schools need to jump in so we can find out.

People talk about an "all class tournament". Lets make the 2020 WSAZ a "All Class State Tournament" trial run.

A good place to start is for Fairmont Senior, Oak Glen and Braxton County to sign up.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

matcoach90

Re: WSAZ 2020

Postby matcoach90 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:59 am

Is it not an "all class tournament" already??? What does adding the three schools you mentioned have to do with WSAZ being considered an all class tournament? You do realize that FSHS holds a large tournament of their own and that you are only allowed so many weigh-ins? Not to mention many schools have annual match ups they can't and don't want to change between schools.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 am

Bearhugger has all the answers ... if only everyone would simply heed his advice WV wrestling would be far better off.

Beast

Postby Beast » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:36 am

I don't want to put word in his mouth, but I guess that he pointed out those particular schools because they have some stud wrestlers, who most would consider the best or at the top of their weight classes.

Correct me if I am off here...

Another point is that if the panhandle schools don't get involved, it is hard to call it an "all class tournament".

There are studs in the north & the east that can do much damage if they were to sign up.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:57 pm

matcoach90 wrote:Is it not an "all class tournament" already??? What does adding the three schools you mentioned have to do with WSAZ being considered an all class tournament? You do realize that FSHS holds a large tournament of their own and that you are only allowed so many weigh-ins? Not to mention many schools have annual match ups they can't and don't want to change between schools.

Wrestling teaches life lessons. Life is the big picture. One’s “wrestling life” is only a subset of life. One of the many “life lessons” wrestling should teach is continuous improvement. Before continuous improvement can begin, one must acknowledge when they are wrong or simply not doing the best that they can do.
With that being said....................let me first acknowledge and correct my mistake. I meant to say that many want an all class state tournament. Keyword left out was "state". Now that this admission of mistake has been made, the WSAZ could and should be a prototype for an all class state wrestling tournament.

Yes, I do realize that FSHS holds a large tournament. Is is called the "Winner's Choice". I have been many times to include the past two seasons in a row. Now, do you realize that FSHS has six returning STQs due back next season? Do you realize that these Super 6 includes Zach Frazier, 3x WV State Champion and clear cut front runner to win a fourth state title? This incredible guy hasn't been back to the WSAZ since he was in middle school. What a shame!

Many teams can wrestle and handle more than one big tournament each season. There used to be many WV teams that participated in the Winner's Choice and then the WSAZ in back to back weekends. Some teams still do this. For some reason, many teams no longer participate in the Winner's Choice. Some teams have also left the WSAZ.

As for weigh in management, it goes hand in hand with schedule management. Just because a team has competed in the "Bug Tussel Classic" for the past seven seasons, doesn't mean they have to stay locked in forever. We all must stay cognizant from season to season when events like the "Bug Tussel Classic" become byefests that waste weigh ins along with a team's season.

FSHS's 2018/2019 schedule is respectable at best. However, Big Zach hasn't got the national ranking consideration he might be entitled to. I do recall some "events" on their schedule that appeared to be more of a habit rather than an example of strategic scheduling.

FSHS's team is becoming a force again. Zach Frazier is great for WV wrestling but I will elaborate on that notion another day.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Bearhugger has all the answers ... if only everyone would simply heed his advice WV wrestling would be far better off.

Perhaps in the 2019/2020 season, you can have some answers. It takes a village. The "WV Village" took another hit recently up at Wheeling Jesuit.

PS: The answer is not for "Bearhugger to become a President of a university if he thinks he can do better". The answer is always for the person who signs up for a job, to do the job...………….rather than being a lazy, incompetent and/or arrogant person who ruins the lives of many.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Beast wrote:I don't want to put word in his mouth, but I guess that he pointed out those particular schools because they have some stud wrestlers, who most would consider the best or at the top of their weight classes.

Another point is that if the panhandle schools don't get involved, it is hard to call it an "all class tournament".

There are studs in the north & the east that can do much damage if they were to sign up.

Here are the facts:

Based on the results of the 2018 / 2019 West Virginia State Tournament, the top five team per classification were as follows:

AAA
1. Parkersburg South
2. Wheeling Park
3. Huntington
4. Parkersburg
5. John Marshall
AA
1. Point Pleasant
2. Independence
3. East Fairmont
4. Braxton County
5. Oak Glen
A
1. Greenbrier West
2. Wirt County
3. Madonna
4. South Harrison
5. Wahama

Based on the returning underclassman information prepared by WVMat, here are the projected top five finishes per classification:
AAA
1. Parkersburg South
2. Wheeling Park
3. Parkersburg
4. Huntington
5. John Marshall
AA
1. Point Pleasant
2. Braxton County
3. Independence
4. East Fairmont
5. Oak Glen
A
1. Greenbrier West
2. Wirt County
3. Moorefield
4. Ravenswood
5. South Harrison

In addition, Fairmont Senior finished in 6th place in AA and they are also projected at 6th place for next season. FSHS's 126 Jones was in a crazy tough weight class. He finished 6th. On any other weekend, he could have finished higher to include making the finals. This simply equates to more team points, a higher team finish and a higher projected 2019/2020 finish.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:10 am

Bearhugger wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:Is it not an "all class tournament" already??? What does adding the three schools you mentioned have to do with WSAZ being considered an all class tournament? You do realize that FSHS holds a large tournament of their own and that you are only allowed so many weigh-ins? Not to mention many schools have annual match ups they can't and don't want to change between schools.

Wrestling teaches life lessons. Life is the big picture. One’s “wrestling life” is only a subset of life. One of the many “life lessons” wrestling should teach is continuous improvement. Before continuous improvement can begin, one must acknowledge when they are wrong or simply not doing the best that they can do.
With that being said....................let me first acknowledge and correct my mistake. I meant to say that many want an all class state tournament. Keyword left out was "state". Now that this admission of mistake has been made, the WSAZ could and should be a prototype for an all class state wrestling tournament.

Yes, I do realize that FSHS holds a large tournament. Is is called the "Winner's Choice". I have been many times to include the past two seasons in a row. Now, do you realize that FSHS has six returning STQs due back next season? Do you realize that these Super 6 includes Zach Frazier, 3x WV State Champion and clear cut front runner to win a fourth state title? This incredible guy hasn't been back to the WSAZ since he was in middle school. What a shame!

Many teams can wrestle and handle more than one big tournament each season. There used to be many WV teams that participated in the Winner's Choice and then the WSAZ in back to back weekends. Some teams still do this. For some reason, many teams no longer participate in the Winner's Choice. Some teams have also left the WSAZ.

As for weigh in management, it goes hand in hand with schedule management. Just because a team has competed in the "Bug Tussel Classic" for the past seven seasons, doesn't mean they have to stay locked in forever. We all must stay cognizant from season to season when events like the "Bug Tussel Classic" become byefests that waste weigh ins along with a team's season.

FSHS's 2018/2019 schedule is respectable at best. However, Big Zach hasn't got the national ranking consideration he might be entitled to. I do recall some "events" on their schedule that appeared to be more of a habit rather than an example of strategic scheduling.

FSHS's team is becoming a force again. Zach Frazier is great for WV wrestling but I will elaborate on that notion another day.

And you have to realize that wrestlers and wrestling teams aren't concerned with making you or any other wrestling "fans" content with how they conduct their seasons and schedules. Additionally, everyone needs to stop fretting over Zach not getting national ranking consideration that some think he's entitled to. Let Zach and his family take care of that. I can tell you that he isn't worried about it at all. Zach loves wrestling, but football is where he's decided his future takes him. He is not a bear in a zoo (no pun intended) doing tricks for everyone else's entertainment. FSHS is becoming a force again, and whether or not they attend WSAZ isn't going to change that. I doubt it hurt Braxton County this season by not attending. We attend tournaments and meets that have A, AA and AAA and out of state participation all season long. WSAZ isn't the end all be all of wrestling in WV. We have a state tournament to decide things at the end of the season. Until the WVSSAC changes a few things, that's the way it is for now. Until then, schools aren't in the business of appeasing fans. If you argue that attending WSAZ will only make a team/wrestler better in the grand scheme of things, maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Maybe your efforts here would be better suited toward the WVSSAC.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:26 am

matcoach90 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

And you have to realize that wrestlers and wrestling teams aren't concerned with making you or any other wrestling "fans" content with how they conduct their seasons and schedules. Additionally, everyone needs to stop fretting over Zach not getting national ranking consideration that some think he's entitled to. Let Zach and his family take care of that. I can tell you that he isn't worried about it at all. Zach loves wrestling, but football is where he's decided his future takes him. He is not a bear in a zoo (no pun intended) doing tricks for everyone else's entertainment. FSHS is becoming a force again, and whether or not they attend WSAZ isn't going to change that. I doubt it hurt Braxton County this season by not attending. We attend tournaments and meets that have A, AA and AAA and out of state participation all season long. WSAZ isn't the end all be all of wrestling in WV. We have a state tournament to decide things at the end of the season. Until the WVSSAC changes a few things, that's the way it is for now. Until then, schools aren't in the business of appeasing fans. If you argue that attending WSAZ will only make a team/wrestler better in the grand scheme of things, maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Maybe your efforts here would be better suited toward the WVSSAC.

I detect this subject makes you sensitive. To each their own when it comes to scheduling. I will also warn anybody of not taking fans into consideration. The more fans, the better the wrestlers feel. The more money made at the gate and the concession stand. All I hear about wrestling teams in relation to other sports is that wrestling doesn't make money. Why?? The first line of defense is getting more FANS to come, pay to get in and support their team.

I hope your team gets creative, gets fired up, pounds the street raising funds and goes to whatever events you choose. The word on the street is the "Bug Tussle Classic" needs teams.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

I detect this subject makes you sensitive. To each their own when it comes to scheduling. I will also warn anybody of not taking fans into consideration. The more fans, the better the wrestlers feel. The more money made at the gate and the concession stand. All I hear about wrestling teams in relation to other sports is that wrestling doesn't make money. Why?? The first line of defense is getting more FANS to come, pay to get in and support their team.

I hope your team gets creative, gets fired up, pounds the street raising funds and goes to whatever events you choose. The word on the street is the "Bug Tussle Classic" needs teams.

Our team is always plenty fired up. Me sensitive? No, I just think it's funny when someone who has no connection whatsoever to a wrestler or particular team, thinks he knows what's going on behind the scenes. As far as wrestling and fan interest... those who are going to follow the sport or a particular team will do so regardless of who they are facing. It's not like football or basketball where a particular game might bring in interest of the not so avid sports fan. Will you round up a few more spectators based upon a specific team or wrestler match up? Sure, but not in the numbers that will make a difference financially. Unfortunately, it is what it is in WV. Also, don't trust the "word on the street". FSHS wrestling does just fine with it's finances and we do go to whatever events we choose... despite what some pot stirrers on a message board think.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Bearhugger is all knowing.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:08 pm

matcoach90 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:

Our team is always plenty fired up. Me sensitive? No, I just think it's funny when someone who has no connection whatsoever to a wrestler or particular team, thinks he knows what's going on behind the scenes. As far as wrestling and fan interest... those who are going to follow the sport or a particular team will do so regardless of who they are facing. It's not like football or basketball where a particular game might bring in interest of the not so avid sports fan. Will you round up a few more spectators based upon a specific team or wrestler match up? Sure, but not in the numbers that will make a difference financially. Unfortunately, it is what it is in WV. Also, don't trust the "word on the street". FSHS wrestling does just fine with it's finances and we do go to whatever events we choose... despite what some pot stirrers on a message board think.

I see that we agree on at least one thing. We both would like to see Fairmont Senior compete in the 2020 WSAZ.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 am

Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Beast wrote:I don't want to put word in his mouth, but I guess that he pointed out those particular schools because they have some stud wrestlers, who most would consider the best or at the top of their weight classes.

Here are the facts:

Based on the results of the 2018 / 2019 West Virginia State Tournament, the top five team per classification were as follows:

AAA
1. Parkersburg South
2. Wheeling Park
3. Huntington
4. Parkersburg
5. John Marshall
AA
1. Point Pleasant
2. Independence
3. East Fairmont
4. Braxton County
5. Oak Glen
A
1. Greenbrier West
2. Wirt County
3. Madonna
4. South Harrison
5. Wahama

Based on the returning underclassman information prepared by WVMat, here are the projected top five finishes per classification:
AAA
1. Parkersburg South
2. Wheeling Park
3. Parkersburg
4. Huntington
5. John Marshall
AA
1. Point Pleasant
2. Braxton County
3. Independence
4. East Fairmont
5. Oak Glen
A
1. Greenbrier West
2. Wirt County
3. Moorefield
4. Ravenswood
5. South Harrison

In addition, Fairmont Senior finished in 6th place in AA and they are also projected at 6th place for next season. FSHS's 126 Jones was in a crazy tough weight class. He finished 6th. On any other weekend, he could have finished higher to include making the finals. This simply equates to more team points, a higher team finish and a higher projected 2019/2020 finish.

Braxton isn't beating Indy or East.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:06 pm

matcoach90 wrote:Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Because every team wants to compete in the WSAZ.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm

WrestlingFan1 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Here are the facts:

AAA
1. Parkersburg South
2. Wheeling Park
3. Huntington
4. Parkersburg
5. John Marshall
AA
1. Point Pleasant
2. Independence
3. East Fairmont
4. Braxton County
5. Oak Glen
A
1. Greenbrier West
2. Wirt County
3. Madonna
4. South Harrison
5. Wahama

AAA
1. Parkersburg South
2. Wheeling Park
3. Parkersburg
4. Huntington
5. John Marshall
AA
1. Point Pleasant
2. Braxton County
3. Independence
4. East Fairmont
5. Oak Glen
A
1. Greenbrier West
2. Wirt County
3. Moorefield
4. Ravenswood
5. South Harrison

Barring any loss of wrestler due to any reason, Braxton County has much more firepower due back next season than East Fairmont.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Because every team wants to compete in the WSAZ.

Wrong again

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 am

I like the back and forth between bear and mat90. Bear is essentially saying the wsaz is the best and least expensive option for a wv team to find all class in state competition. Mat90 is saying that West Fairmont isn’t interested in wrestling against the best. Seems like a clash of world views. Keep it up gentlemen. Board is slow this time of year.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:06 am

Studcradle wrote:I like the back and forth between bear and mat90. Bear is essentially saying the wsaz is the best and least expensive option for a wv team to find all class in state competition. Mat90 is saying that West Fairmont isn’t interested in wrestling against the best. Seems like a clash of world views. Keep it up gentlemen. Board is slow this time of year.

Never said that FSHS isn't interested in wrestling against the best. However, some schools do have other obligations, schedules logistics issues etc... not just FSHS. To knock any program for not attending WSAZ or any tournament is irresponsible and just an arrogant stance. As I mentioned before, some people just crave attention. Bearcuddle apparently has too much time on his hands.
Last edited by matcoach90 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

WrestlingFan1

Postby WrestlingFan1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:38 am

Bearhugger wrote:
WrestlingFan1 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
Here are the facts:

AAA
1. Parkersburg South
2. Wheeling Park
3. Huntington
4. Parkersburg
5. John Marshall
AA
1. Point Pleasant
2. Independence
3. East Fairmont
4. Braxton County
5. Oak Glen
A
1. Greenbrier West
2. Wirt County
3. Madonna
4. South Harrison
5. Wahama

AAA
1. Parkersburg South
2. Wheeling Park
3. Parkersburg
4. Huntington
5. John Marshall
AA
1. Point Pleasant
2. Braxton County
3. Independence
4. East Fairmont
5. Oak Glen
A
1. Greenbrier West
2. Wirt County
3. Moorefield
4. Ravenswood
5. South Harrison

Barring any loss of wrestler due to any reason, Braxton County has much more firepower due back next season than East Fairmont.

What about Indy? Braxton isn't beating them either.

Return to “High School Wrestling”