West Virginia's Big 3

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

West Virginia's Big 3

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:50 pm

West Virginia has three regular season 32+ bracketed tournaments. The Winner’s Choice, The OVAC and the WSAZ. We shall call these tournaments “The Big 3”.

Given information:
1. The OVAC is a conference tournament.
2. The OVAC and the WSAZ typically fall on the same weekend.
3. Many wrestling fans feel that strength of schedule makes champions. “IRON SHARPENS IRON” is the word on the street.
4. Some specific state finalists missed competing in one of the Big 3, but their school did indeed compete.

In review of the 2019 West Virginia State Tournament finals, here is a summary of the finalists and the corresponding “Big 3” tournament their school participated in.

Winner’s Choice = WC
OVAC = O
WSAZ = Z
Attended none of the Big 3 = NA

106: AAA: WC VS NA AA/A: Z VS WC&Z
113: AAA: O VS O AA/A: WC&Z VS Z
120: AAA: O VS WC AA/A: Z VS WC&Z
126: AAA: Z VS WC AA/A: Z VS Z
132: AAA: Z VS O&WC AA/A: WC&Z VS Z
138: AAA: O VS WC AA/A: O VS Z
145: AAA: O VS O AA/A: O VS Z
152: AAA: WC VS O AA/A: Z VS NA
160: AAA: O VS WC AA/A: WC VS WC
170: AAA: Z VS WC AA/A: NA VS NA
182: AAA: O VS Z&WC AA/A: WC&Z VS WC
195: AAA: NA VS WC&Z AA/A: Z VS Z
220: AAA: O VS O AA/A: O VS Z
285: AAA: O VS WC&Z AA/A: WC VS NA

Summary of the data:

1. Regarding all state finalists, the following schools competed in both The Winner’s Choice and the WSAZ in back to back weekends: East Fairmont, Oak Hill and Cabell Midland. University competed in The Winner’s Choice and the OVAC in back to back weekends.

2. Our population for this exercise will be 65. 14 weight classes x 2 State Tournaments x 2 finalists = 56. 9 wrestlers competed in two of the Big 3. 56 + 9 = 65.

3. 20 of the state finalists had their school compete in The Winner’s Choice, or 30.77%

4. 23 of the state finalists had their school compete in The WSAZ, or 35.38%

5. 16 or the state finalists had their school compete in the OVAC, or 24.62%

6. 6 of the state finalists did not have their school compete in any of the Big 3, or 9.23%

7. Regarding the 6 finalists that are not scheduled at one of the Big 3, all six are from region 2 schools. Hampshire and Martinsburg in AAA and Braxton County and Moorefield in AA/A. Braxton County holds their own invitational tournament on the same weekend as The Winner’s Choice.

8. The finalists are broken down by classification as follows:
a. 17 AA/A finalists compete in the WSAZ
b. 13 AAA finalists compete in the OVAC
c. 11 AAA finalists compete in The Winner’s Choice
d. 9 AA/A finalists compete in The Winner’s Choice
e. 6 AAA finalists compete in the WSAZ
f. 4 AA/A finalists did not compete in any of the Big 3
g. 3 AA/A finalists compete in the OVAC
h. 2 AAA finalists did not compete in any of the Big 3

Of course the above is just a snap shot using one season. We already know that this dynamic will change in 2020 with Parkersburg South competing in both the OVAC and the WSAZ.

Based on the above, the data supports that “iron sharpens iron” whereas 59 of the 65 finalists did indeed compete in one of the Big 3 tournaments.

Another point to note is that the highest group is 17 AA/A state finalists competed in the WSAZ. For those that think a “small school” wrestler cannot compete at the WSAZ, rethink that please. To expand, Single A Greenbrier West finished 9th and Single A Wirt County finished 11th in the WSAZ team standings.

A final detail that surfaced is that WV only had 3 AA/A state finalists that competed in the OVAC. All three wrestle year round for a wrestling club that competes in folkstyle. All three are planning to wrestle in college.

Enjoy!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Beast

Re: West Virginia's Big 3

Postby Beast » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:06 am

My brain hurts after reading that.

If you can't understand the question, guess C!

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Conclusion: Bearhugger has too much time on his hands and is a high level statistician!

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Wheeling Park is absolutely loaded with returning talent. If they bring that same aggressive attitude that we all saw at last years States to the 2019-2020 season it will be something to watch. Will we see Wheeling Park at both the ovac and wsaz?

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:56 pm

WP1992
I think it is the failed Six Sigma crap that is being used.
Not that it is important but just to let you know it is worthless in companies as it is on here because it is too complicated to use. This coming from a MBB in the crappy method.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:49 pm

Studcradle wrote:Wheeling Park is absolutely loaded with returning talent. If they bring that same aggressive attitude that we all saw at last years States to the 2019-2020 season it will be something to watch. Will we see Wheeling Park at both the ovac and wsaz?

I would really like to see Wheeling Park stand up and enter the 2020 WSAZ.

1. Wheeling Park will return loaded with talent.

2. Seeing WP in a bracketed tournament along with Parkersburg South approximately one month before the state tournament will be interesting.

3. No 2020 WSAZ / OVAC same weekend conflict.

4. The total miles from Wheeling Park to Big Sandy is 209 miles and 3.5 hours. Musselman makes the trip to the WSAZ each year and for them it is 364 miles and 5.5 hours.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:51 pm

WP1992 wrote:Conclusion: Bearhugger has too much time on his hands and is a high level statistician!

Actually just used some tally marks and some basic % stuff I learned in grade school.

As for time, it was well spent.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 pm

RealGreco wrote:WP1992
Not that it is important but just to let you know it is worthless in companies as it is on here because it is too complicated to use. This coming from a MBB in the crappy method.

Greco, As a Six Sigma Green belt, I understand your point! lol

RealGreco

Postby RealGreco » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm

WP1992 wrote:
RealGreco wrote:WP1992

Greco, As a Six Sigma Green belt, I understand your point! lol

Lol, small world my friend, I work as a Lean VP and Lean is the best way to go!
Hope your school has all the success in this tough sport!

Return to “High School Wrestling”