Warped Time Warp

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Warped Time Warp

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Upon reviewing the What New section, it appears many tournament results from the 70s, 80s and 90s have been dug up.

The alleged "1983 Barboursville Invitational" is included. It is interesting that the finals included many wrestlers that graduated in 1982.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

aaacoach6

Re: Warped Time Warp

Postby aaacoach6 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:21 am

Let Doc know and he can change the file name... I have been digging through box after box after box of old bracket sheets and trying to compare the wrestlers/weight classes that I had information on to try to identify when/where they are from because the tournament directors back then for the most part used generic bracket sheets and very few of them had a date or even the tournament they were from. Many of them used the same copy of blank brackets with no date or location so there may be 3 tournaments from the same year with many of the same wrestlers in all of them. Since the wrestlers were in high school 3 years there was overlap from year to year. That particular tournament took place when I was 7 years old so my memory of that season is not the best. Not to mention partial names and misspellings on the brackets

Anthony Shrewsberry
Shady Spring Wrestling

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:57 am

FROM the Editor:

Coach Shrewsbury,

Many thanks for submitting that trove of old tournament brackets, etc, (readers, see ARCHIVES posted on the front page June 12) and thank you for posting your comment here.

When I received from you the tournament brackets under discussion, I neglected to credit you as the source of the old brackets and thank you. I was afraid that if I did, you would be deluged with emails from old farts like me asking "How about the big tournament that was held at Left Overshoe High School in 1967. Do you have anything on that?"

So anyway, the cat is now out of the bag. Readers of this website may note that Coach Shrewsbury has in his possession Dix Manning's old file cabinet. (Dix Manning, Charter Member West Virginia Chapter, National Wrestling Hall of Fame http://wvmat.com/hallfame/03induct.htm). This is the King Tut's Tomb of WV High School wrestling.

I have a request. I would love to have copies of anything and everything you have. Even if they are incomplete or lack a Tournament Name and/or date. I'll post them on a new page "Archive of Mystery Tournaments from the Past" or some such.

I'm sure that there are other Old Farts like me who would love to see these old brackets, and could maybe even name the tournament place and year. No rush. This could be a one or two year project.

Doc
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:42 pm

My pleasure Doc. Ill get them all to you as time permits a few at a time.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:05 am

Thank you coach and Doc!
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”