Nationally Ranked Wrestlers vs. College Selection

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Nationally Ranked Wrestlers vs. College Selection

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:55 pm

My good friend "TrueSouthFanWithAnAbacus" has been calculating again.

West Virginia has/had four nationally ranked wrestlers in the last 30 days.

Name/Highest Ranking/College short list are as follows:

Peyton Hall, ranked #2, WVU

John Martin Best, ranked #7, the word on the street is that the Air Force Academy and West Point are major players on his short list.

Braxton Amos, ranked #1, the word on the street is his short list includes: Penn State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State and Wisconsin. Where the schools fall is unknown.

Brayden Roberts, was ranked as high as #2, no word on the street at this time.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Studcradle

Re: Nationally Ranked Wrestlers vs. College Selection

Postby Studcradle » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:28 am

All 4 are on the western side of the state.
3/4 are from Wood County.
A coach could do in home visits to all 4 in the same day.

I am surprised that WVU is not on the short list for all 4 but I am not going to be like some and call out the wrestler. I don’t know the whole story.

Of these 4 the ones who go elsewhere may be motivated to prove Flynn wrong. If Best goes Air Force & Amos goes Cowboy they will get a chance to see the Mountaineers at Big 12. The ones who do go to WVU will be motivated to succeed wearing their state’s singlet. At that level everyone is good, everyone is motivated. The most important thing is that hopefully they are all getting a good education and using wrestling as a way of paying for it.

I had hoped that wvu would get Humphreys and Pine in 2018 and Haga in 2019. We didn’t and I will root for those boys at Lehigh and Campbell. I will root for the WVU boys too.

indywvu

Postby indywvu » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:25 pm

What weight class will Best and Roberts start at in college?

timamos

Postby timamos » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 am

Flowrestling’s Prospect Rankings
Hall 157
Best 165
Roberts 165

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Studcradle, WVU would have to show a little interest in our guys before they consider going there.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:05 pm

I don't presume to know what is in Coach Flynn's head, but just looking at their roster, they already have five wrestlers at 157, two at 165, two at 197 (one of which is Noah Adams) and three at 285. in contrast, they only have one at 125 and one at 184, so maybe Flynn is focusing on adding more wrestlers in those weight classes rather than use what scholarships he has left on 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th wrestlers in weight classes that are already stacked.

indywvu

Postby indywvu » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 pm

coach_williams wrote:I don't presume to know what is in Coach Flynn's head, but just looking at their roster, they already have five wrestlers at 157, two at 165, two at 197 (one of which is Noah Adams) and three at 285. in contrast, they only have one at 125 and one at 184, so maybe Flynn is focusing on adding more wrestlers in those weight classes rather than use what scholarships he has left on 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th wrestlers in weight classes that are already stacked.

I would tend to agree. Can’t have all your money tied up in 1 or 2 weight classes. Plus they have a commit from Dowling in PA. All about the numbers.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:21 am

Good commentary!

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 am

Shermancrind’s comments make more sense than us passing up nationally ranked in state recruits

Mat Man Jr.

Postby Mat Man Jr. » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:38 pm

From what I’ve heard is that Roberts got an offer from WVU along with Best no matter what school they choose both will be a good pick up for any school.

indywvu

Postby indywvu » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Mat Man Jr. wrote:From what I’ve heard is that Roberts got an offer from WVU along with Best no matter what school they choose both will be a good pick up for any school.

Hope what you heard is true. Both would look good and compete well in the Blue & Gold.

indywvu

Postby indywvu » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:09 am

Any updates on our in-state kids and their recruitment? Are they leaning one way or another to a particular school?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:00 am

indywvu wrote:Any updates on our in-state kids and their recruitment? Are they leaning one way or another to a particular school?

The word on the street is Braxton Amos is going to announce his choice at halftime during South's Homecoming football game. I guess consulting South's football schedule will give us the date.

Return to “High School Wrestling”