New State Tournament format

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
RickWelkerShow

Re: New State Tournament format

Postby RickWelkerShow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:11 am

Why not just seed the 4 Regional Champions? I am assuming there is a pill that will place the other wrestlers on a line based off of the Regional Champions being seeded. If the two best wrestlers are in the same region wouldn’t they be separated anyway because the regional champion and runner-up are placed on opposites sides of the bracket based off of the pill.

You would have 2 seeding meetings being conducted one for AAA and one for A/AA. Each region has one representative in attendance and you seed it. It would probably take an hour. Some of the weight classes are fairly cut and dry.

Just a thought

Coach_Beech

Postby Coach_Beech » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:03 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is the points difference in a wrestler winning his (or her) semifinal then losing in the Finals as opposed to the 3rd Place wrestler winning Cons Semi and Cons Final matches?

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:16 pm

A wrestler who wins a semifinal match can score anywhere from 11 to 13 points (11 for a decision, 12 major, 12.5 tech fall, 13 pin).

A wrestler who wins a consolation semifinal match can score anywhere from 5 to 7 points (5 for a decision, 6 major, 6.5 tech fall, 7 pin).

A wrestler who wins a consolation 3rd or 5th place match can score anywhere from 2 to 4 points (2 for a decision, 3 major, 3.5 tech fall, 4 pin).

Not that it's applicable for our state tournament, but a wrestler who wins a consolation 7th place match can score anywhere from 1 to 3 points (1 for a decision, 2 major, 2.5 tech fall, 3 pin).

So conceivably, if Wrestler A loses to Wrestler B in the quarterfinals but pins the rest of the way to 3rd place, that wrestler would score 11 additional points. If Wrestler B beat Wrestler A in the quarterfinals by a regular decision but loses in the finals, Wrestler B would score 11 points - the exact same as Wrestler A.

There is a real life example from 1999 (and I'm sure there are plenty more recent examples) where the 3rd-place finisher lost his first round match and wrestled back to 3rd place on the strength of four pins and a decision. He actually scored more points (21) than the second-place finisher (18), who won all of his matches through the semifinals by regular decision.

technical violation

Postby technical violation » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:32 pm

RickWelkerShow wrote:Why not just seed the 4 Regional Champions? I am assuming there is a pill that will place the other wrestlers on a line based off of the Regional Champions being seeded. If the two best wrestlers are in the same region wouldn’t they be separated anyway because the regional champion and runner-up are placed on opposites sides of the bracket based off of the pill.

You would have 2 seeding meetings being conducted one for AAA and one for A/AA. Each region has one representative in attendance and you seed it. It would probably take an hour. Some of the weight classes are fairly cut and dry.

Just a thought

Sometimes the simplest things are the best , this seems to make a lot of sense. Simple but effective

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:13 pm

technical violation wrote:
RickWelkerShow wrote:Why not just seed the 4 Regional Champions? I am assuming there is a pill that will place the other wrestlers on a line based off of the Regional Champions being seeded. If the two best wrestlers are in the same region wouldn’t they be separated anyway because the regional champion and runner-up are placed on opposites sides of the bracket based off of the pill.

Just a thought

Sometimes the simplest things are the best , this seems to make a lot of sense. Simple but effective

I think the proposed "fix" is actually much simpler than having people travel across the state to seeding meetings, unless you meant doing it via conference call. However, why go to the trouble of seeding regional champions when one or two of the regional champions may not even place. Seems more bother than it's worth and complicates things more by having to adjust essentially all of the brackets for the entire tournament. Might have sounded simple but not really that simple if you're trying to keep the regions evenly separated via the random pill draw. At least that's how I think that proposal would end up working out in reality.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 pm

I just pulled this off of the WVSSAC website.

Are these gentlemen still the members of the coaches' committee?

Wrestling Committee Members
Mark Delligatti, Fairmont Sr.
Bill Whittington, Hedgesville HS
Sterling Beane, Braxton County HS
Rob Archer, Huntington HS
Chad Sarrett, Woodrow Wilson
Jeremy Tincher, Greenbrier W.
Ken Maisel, University
Pat McGillan, Oak Glen
Jeff Givens, Williamstown
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:51 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I just pulled this off of the WVSSAC website.

Are these gentlemen still the members of the coaches' committee?

Ken Maisel, University
Pat McGillan, Oak Glen

I knew that was the next question.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:19 pm

KDunbar wrote:
admin wrote:Memo from Coach Archer
https://www.wvmat.com/statetou/archermemopill.pdf

So, if I am to restate this, it appears that the evening when the regionals are completed the "Coaches Committee" members will conference call and will initially use the regional seeding criteria, and then any other input that they choose to utilize, and then determine the 1st and 2nd ranked wrestler in each weight class (AAA & AA/A separately of course). This will not be directly associated with any other ranking up to that point (although those prior rankings over the course of the season and especially leading up to the regionals might have some effect in the court of public opinion and thus in helping the Coaches Committee in doing their job). Then if the "primary pill" drawn pairs any of the 1st and 2nd ranked wrestlers in a weight class, the "alternate pill" will be used to rearrange the bracket in that particular weight class, thus "unpairing" the 1st and 2nd ranked wrestlers.
I'm sure this won't make everyone happy, but it comes closer in pleasing those wanting seedings while somewhat limiting the human factor from the equation. I'm also going to put forth a guess that the Coaches Committee may be comprised of more individuals than the number of coaches that routinely vote in the rankings or polls. Also, these individuals hopefully are aware of the job awaiting them well in advance so that they will stay abreast of the top individuals throughout the state in order to make the decisions required of them the evening of the regionals. I for one think this sounds logical and reasonable to address the situation regarding the main and primary concern that most people have had.

Ken Maisel, University
Pat McGillan, Oak Glen
Wrestling

Some members of the coaches committee will simply lack the needed knowledge to know who is #1 and #2 because their school's schedule never puts them around any of the #1, #2 or #3 ranked wrestlers. They will need to rely on the WVMat ranking information to know who is who.

Lets use Huntington's Lanham and John Marshall's Carmen as examples. I am almost certain that Fairmont Senior, Hedgesville, Braxton County, Williamstown were never under the same roofs as John Marshall and Huntington last season. Whereas most schools wrestle predominantly the same schedule each season, we will be looking at more of the same.

Oak Glen never ventures down south further than Parkersburg.

Huntington and University get around pretty good.

I am sure all of the committee members are very knowledgeable about wrestling and will be future Hall of Famers. But a coach up in the end of a panhandle is simply not going to have the knowledge of who is who other than what he reads in a ranking somewhere on WVMat.

The coaches need to post their scores! There are plenty of parents that would do the data entry for them if the coach would ask! I know!!!

The coaches need to do a better job in the weekly rankings. Once a school has a wrestler in the top 3-4, that school's coach REALLY needs to communicate and perpetuate his wrestler's ranking.

WVMat has a system in place for rankings. Where it loses its effectiveness is due to the lack of effectiveness of the people needed to support it (coaches).

If the rankings were voted on by more coaches, then #1 and #2 would be clearly known from January until regional weekend. The coaches' committee along with coaches of the #1, #2 and others could all sort out any mess that develops after regional upsets.

I support the change. I would like to see it as a success. However, Bill Archer's memo referenced how few coaches participate in voting on the weekly rankings. Rankings and scores are a way where a coach can get some recognition for their team. The school's administration doesn't make much of an effort to do it. No wonder participation is down. Wrestling is more work than any other sport and it gets less attention.

I have a friend who has a daughter at a given WV high school. I asked her about certain returning STQ wrestlers at her school. She didn't know half of the wrestlers. The ones she knew were in her grade. +

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:27 am

The undoubtedly fact of the matter is that this pill can be moved to benefit a coaches committee wrestler. Leave it the way it was please? No system or tournament is without its flaws but it’s not a broken system so we can’t fix fix it. My son though broken and battered has eventually ran into the state champ 2 years in a row. I have zero complaints and wouldn’t change the results if I could. Keep the politics out of the sport and read coach Williams earlier post carefully. He uses words like randomness etc. As a parent/fan I truly love the randomness of the state tournament system. This isn’t nascar people. I’m not a fan of the chase for the cup. The cream will rise as they say. Let the brackets work themselves out and let these young men/women determine the results. Either seed them out of total opinion or let these young warriors decide who stands at the top of the podium. Once again, we have a great tournament! Coach Archer imo does a class act job at running a tournament and pleases the tough crowd to please. Year after year the schedule is spot on and never do we have any layovers. I think it’s a great format, I think we have the perfect man for the job, let the youth set a goal and give them every opportunity to achieve it. I guarantee our format is top shelf! Don’t change it!

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:55 am

Another issue, how is coach Jeremy Hart, or one of the smartest men I know in the sport of wrestling, Dave Hart, Bonecutter, (defending coach of the year) Anthony Regalbutto, Coach Smith from South, not on this board? Is this an elected committee? That’s 2 Dutton award winners that I know for a fact that have zero say in this alternative pill draw. Get the politics out of our sport. As bad as I hate to say it, bearhugger more than likely has the best record keeping in wv high school wrestling. All this committee stuff is opinion. I guarantee for 100% that 3/4 teams in this state wrestle a schedule above and beyond the call of duty. South, Point, Indy, oak glen, Huntington and WP get out of state in search of taking those butt kickings. You have to lose those close matches to advance your game. You have to get your tough freshmen used to the high school transition. Not stepping on any toes but if we’re going to use a committee let’s make sure we have the right guys and unbiased opinions to make this new and improved state tournament the best we can make it. Top 2 A coaches, top 2 AA coaches, top 2AAA coaches would be a hell of a start for this committee. If we’re going to change a good thing, let’s make the right changes. If your going to start a new business you wouldn’t hire those average salesman or managers. Your going after the right crew to maximize the gross and treat all loyal customers with the respect they deserve.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:40 pm

I understand your point, however, one could argue picking the top 2 coaches in AAA, AA and A (assuming you mean based on team ranking?) would be selecting those who statistically have the most inherent bias making the decisions. The top two coaches are more likely to have wrestlers who are #1 through #6 and who might benefit from being separated from a certain wrestler. One could argue the bottom 2 coaches in each AAA, AA and A would be better choices :)

I think the committee handling it makes sense. Even those who are not very familiar with certain wrestlers certainly can understand match results if they are presented to them. Will see how it goes.

mattman wrote: let’s make sure we have the right guys and unbiased opinions to make this new and improved state tournament the best we can make it. Top 2 A coaches, top 2 AA coaches, top 2AAA coaches would be a hell of a start for this committee. If we’re going to change a good thing, let’s make the right changes. If your going to start a new business you wouldn’t hire those average salesman or managers. Your going after the right crew to maximize the gross and treat all loyal customers with the respect they deserve.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:58 pm

mattman wrote:Another issue, how is coach Jeremy Hart, or one of the smartest men I know in the sport of wrestling, Dave Hart, Bonecutter, (defending coach of the year) Anthony Regalbutto, Coach Smith from South, not on this board? Is this an elected committee? That’s 2 Dutton award winners that I know for a fact that have zero say in this alternative pill draw. Get the politics out of our sport. As bad as I hate to say it, bearhugger more than likely has the best record keeping in wv high school wrestling. All this committee stuff is opinion. I guarantee for 100% that 3/4 teams in this state wrestle a schedule above and beyond the call of duty. South, Point, Indy, oak glen, Huntington and WP get out of state in search of taking those butt kickings. You have to lose those close matches to advance your game. You have to get your tough freshmen used to the high school transition. Not stepping on any toes but if we’re going to use a committee let’s make sure we have the right guys and unbiased opinions to make this new and improved state tournament the best we can make it. Top 2 A coaches, top 2 AA coaches, top 2AAA coaches would be a hell of a start for this committee. If we’re going to change a good thing, let’s make the right changes. If your going to start a new business you wouldn’t hire those average salesman or managers. Your going after the right crew to maximize the gross and treat all loyal customers with the respect they deserve.

I am not "in the know" regarding how the competition committee is decided, but I am assuming they are on the committee until they step down. Most of those coaches have been around for a long time and were probably elected or appointed quite a few years ago.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the other coaches you mentioned "should be" on the competition committee either. Being a coach of a currently winning team does not automatically mean you deserve to be on some type of committee making decisions for the state more than someone else does. I don't know all of the coaches on the committee list personally, but I know quite a few have made significant contributions to wrestling in our state and their communities and have earned the right to have input. Just a quick rundown of some of the accomplishments of a few board members that I am aware of...

Coach Tincher - finished in the top ten 6 of the last 10 years including two state championships (not bad for a single A team)
Coach Beane - most duals wins in state history and finished top ten in 5 of the last 10 years
Coach Archer - finished top ten for 10 consecutive years including two state championships

I also think it is unfair to say that the coaches you mentioned have zero say. I have a feeling that if they are making phone calls and letting their voice be heard on issues, then the committee members are listening.

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 pm

coach_williams wrote:
mattman wrote:Another issue, how is coach Jeremy Hart, or one of the smartest men I know in the sport of wrestling, Dave Hart, Bonecutter, (defending coach of the year) Anthony Regalbutto, Coach Smith from South, not on this board? Is this an elected committee? That’s 2 Dutton award winners that I know for a fact that have zero say in this alternative pill draw. Get the politics out of our sport. As bad as I hate to say it, bearhugger more than likely has the best record keeping in wv high school wrestling. All this committee stuff is opinion. I guarantee for 100% that 3/4 teams in this state wrestle a schedule above and beyond the call of duty. South, Point, Indy, oak glen, Huntington and WP get out of state in search of taking those butt kickings. You have to lose those close matches to advance your game. You have to get your tough freshmen used to the high school transition. Not stepping on any toes but if we’re going to use a committee let’s make sure we have the right guys and unbiased opinions to make this new and improved state tournament the best we can make it. Top 2 A coaches, top 2 AA coaches, top 2AAA coaches would be a hell of a start for this committee. If we’re going to change a good thing, let’s make the right changes. If your going to start a new business you wouldn’t hire those average salesman or managers. Your going after the right crew to maximize the gross and treat all loyal customers with the respect they deserve.

I am not "in the know" regarding how the competition committee is decided, but I am assuming they are on the committee until they step down. Most of those coaches have been around for a long time and were probably elected or appointed quite a few years ago.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the other coaches you mentioned "should be" on the competition committee either. Being a coach of a currently winning team does not automatically mean you deserve to be on some type of committee making decisions for the state more than someone else does. I don't know all of the coaches on the committee list personally, but I know quite a few have made significant contributions to wrestling in our state and their communities and have earned the right to have input. Just a quick rundown of some of the accomplishments of a few board members that I am aware of...

Coach Tincher - finished in the top ten 6 of the last 10 years including two state championships (not bad for a single A team)
Coach Beane - most duals wins in state history and finished top ten in 5 of the last 10 years
Coach Archer - finished top ten for 10 consecutive years including two state championships

I also think it is unfair to say that the coaches you mentioned have zero say. I have a feeling that if they are making phone calls and letting their voice be heard on issues, then the committee members are listening.
coach, until now there were no phone calls to be made. All coaches knew exactly what they were gonna do the night of the regionals. They were gonna set and wait. I know I’m not anywhere near the committee so I just have to go with the flo. All the coaches on the committee are great coaches and great people. From the above memo, it looks pretty set in stone that we will have a different and new format. I was kind of hoping maybe every coach in the state could do a vote. Kind of like a democracy.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:10 pm

coach_williams wrote:

Coach Williams my friend, this is not an attack. However, you have lit a fuse for a rocket that I have been waiting to launch for many months. Lets look at the three coaches you mentioned. Beane is your coach and Tincher and Archer probably have the best resumes in the past 10 years as compared to all of the other coaches. What does Tincher and Archer have in common?????? They are both fixtures at the WSAZ. They see the importance of getting their troops battle tested a good 30 days before the state tournament.

I had a conversation with a good coach a few weeks ago. I like this guy and will probably like him more as we talk more. However, he said that in reviewing the top 15 placing schools at the WSAZ, his team sees those schools throughout the season. After I thought about it, I also determined that his team does NOT see all of those teams in the same battlecade weekend. There is no better litmus test for a WV team than the WSAZ. The Winner's Choice has been losing population at the same pace the whole state has been. Spring Valley and Cabell Midland are not returning to the WC in 2020. I hope they reload asap. As for the OVAC, might be tough in some weights, but simply not enough WV schools. To each their own. Good luck this season.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:00 am

Bearhugger wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

Coach Williams my friend, this is not an attack. However, you have lit a fuse for a rocket that I have been waiting to launch for many months. Lets look at the three coaches you mentioned. Beane is your coach and Tincher and Archer probably have the best resumes in the past 10 years as compared to all of the other coaches. What does Tincher and Archer have in common?????? They are both fixtures at the WSAZ. They see the importance of getting their troops battle tested a good 30 days before the state tournament.

I had a conversation with a good coach a few weeks ago. I like this guy and will probably like him more as we talk more. However, he said that in reviewing the top 15 placing schools at the WSAZ, his team sees those schools throughout the season. After I thought about it, I also determined that his team does NOT see all of those teams in the same battlecade weekend. There is no better litmus test for a WV team than the WSAZ. The Winner's Choice has been losing population at the same pace the whole state has been. Spring Valley and Cabell Midland are not returning to the WC in 2020. I hope they reload asap. As for the OVAC, might be tough in some weights, but simply not enough WV schools. To each their own. Good luck this season.

Not to get distracted on this thread about the new State Tournament format with a discussion of the significance of the WSAZ, and not to talk negatively about the WSAZ, however …….. Although it may be the "best" available litmus test for WV competition, it was without 7 of the top 10 AAA schools last year (including 4 of the top 5), and was without 3 of the top 10 AA/A schools.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:28 am

mattman wrote:The undoubtedly fact of the matter is that this pill can be moved to benefit a coaches committee wrestler. Leave it the way it was please? No system or tournament is without its flaws but it’s not a broken system so we can’t fix fix it. My son though broken and battered has eventually ran into the state champ 2 years in a row. I have zero complaints and wouldn’t change the results if I could. Keep the politics out of the sport and read coach Williams earlier post carefully. He uses words like randomness etc. As a parent/fan I truly love the randomness of the state tournament system. This isn’t nascar people. I’m not a fan of the chase for the cup. The cream will rise as they say. Let the brackets work themselves out and let these young men/women determine the results. Either seed them out of total opinion or let these young warriors decide who stands at the top of the podium. Once again, we have a great tournament! Coach Archer imo does a class act job at running a tournament and pleases the tough crowd to please. Year after year the schedule is spot on and never do we have any layovers. I think it’s a great format, I think we have the perfect man for the job, let the youth set a goal and give them every opportunity to achieve it. I guarantee our format is top shelf! Don’t change it!

I understand that this is someone's opinion and I accept and respect it as such. However, we are not talking about reseeding the entire tournament and only making an opinion regarding 2 wrestlers in each weight class, which may actually lead to no changes from the usual pill set up. As with the random pill arrangement, in the end this change should have no effect on who wins the state championship, only affecting when they meet the theoretical 2nd best wrestler, still allowing the proverbial and oft quoted "cream" to still rise to the top
Also, with 9 coaches on the committee, it would seem unlikely that a coach, even if they have a vested interest in a particular case, would have the ability to hold sway over the other coaches to unfairly influence the outcome. That certainly would not be speaking well of the character of the men on the committee. Like others, I worry most about those coaches having the time and interest in staying abreast of the wrestlers throughout the season up to the regionals.

I believe that the WVSSAC has some rules in place for other sports regarding reporting the outcome of competitions. If so, then something like this for wrestling would help these coaches have access to all the information to help make these decisions and help them fact check any claims being made.

mattman

Postby mattman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:59 pm

What’s gonna happen is gonna happen and there isn’t a thing we can do to change it. I stick by the proven formula that Mr Archer has used with success for many years. Personally, I respect a kid that can lose a tough match early and have the guts to battle back and earn a hard earned 3rd over a second any day. That’s just who I am and what I believe. Someone used a really impressive choice of a word in “randomness” of the tournaments current format. It’s gonna be a comfortable feeling for Johnny One and Billy Two knowing they may not have to wrestle their best until the lights dim. At that point after the pill falls, they both hope the other has to get past Joe 3 on the other side of the semis. I would still speak with the coaches from the counties and check their temperature and see where they stand. A fair vote is always the best way. Whatever the outcome, you have to stick by it 110%. I just don’t like putting any child at a disadvantage with a spur of the moment change. Plus we all see how the seeding goes at certain tournaments. (and no way I’m dropping any tournament names) but if a tournament director takes the time from his/her day to develop what he believes to be the perfect criteria for the seeding of that particular tournament, you have to 110% stick by that seeding criteria. That’s my last opinion fellas, I’m getting no where fast lol

Return to “High School Wrestling”