Anyone scheduling an alternative to WSAZ?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach70

Anyone scheduling an alternative to WSAZ?

Postby aacoach70 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 am

I have taken my team to the WSAZ several times. We've actually done well in it on a few occasions- better than most, I'd say,.. however, it does have it's own set of headaches. It is a kind of showcase, particularly if you have some spectacular kids that should meet their A/AA/AAA counterparts, but it isn't always the right fit in a given year for every team. My question is, will anyone else be hosting something on this date, or is the WSAZ the only game in town?

RichNog

Re: Anyone scheduling an alternative to WSAZ?

Postby RichNog » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:00 pm

aacoach70 wrote:I have taken my team to the WSAZ several times. We've actually done well in it on a few occasions- better than most, I'd say,.. however, it does have it's own set of headaches. It is a kind of showcase, particularly if you have some spectacular kids that should meet their A/AA/AAA counterparts, but it isn't always the right fit in a given year for every team. My question is, will anyone else be hosting something on this date, or is the WSAZ the only game in town?

Brooke Classic is the same weekend as WSAZ.

Seabass

Postby Seabass » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:56 pm

RichNog wrote:
aacoach70 wrote:I have taken my team to the WSAZ several times. We've actually done well in it on a few occasions- better than most, I'd say,.. however, it does have it's own set of headaches. It is a kind of showcase, particularly if you have some spectacular kids that should meet their A/AA/AAA counterparts, but it isn't always the right fit in a given year for every team. My question is, will anyone else be hosting something on this date, or is the WSAZ the only game in town?

Is the Classic a one day tournament again this year?

aaacoach33

Postby aaacoach33 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Seabass wrote:
RichNog wrote:

Is the Classic a one day tournament again this year?

Yes
In the end we win

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:38 pm

I can say from watching the Brooke Classic several years, that it’s no walk in park!

Good teams and well ran in the past.
Moderator WV Mat

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Gator wrote:I can say from watching the Brooke Classic several years, that it’s no walk in park!

Good teams and well ran in the past.

I'll second that.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Using sound logic, if a team cannot handle the WSAZ, then how can they handle the WV State Tournament?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:07 am

Honestly, I can see the beast of the east quality type tournament in Huntington in the next 5 years. This year we have Virginia powerhouse Christiansburg coming and trust me they have 4-5 bad dudes that will shake up the final standings. I believe in the next 5 years the WSAZ tournament will be a tournament that will put a wrestler or team on the map. We’re 3-4 tough PA teams away from starting one bad azz tournament. I don’t really understand why anyone would schedule against this tournament. It’s solid, it’s growing, and quite frankly I believe is on the path of greatness. Support your states biggest tournament and it will grow.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:31 am

I agree with Matt man but let me offer some reasons

Trying to build an undefeated season. With the new seeding rules a wrestler with an undefeated record Increases his or her odds of being separated from the competition.

Some schools simply won’t fundraise and two overnight trips to Huntington are not in the budget.

Some coaches and many parents don’t want to see their kids lose on the theory that it affects their confidence.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 am

Since I started this line of questioning, let me say, I think it's a good thing to have options. Maybe a coach would like to make a scheduling adjustment based on the age of his wrestlers,.. or perhaps he wants to guard against board policies that discourage 2-day events that require overnight stays, for example. There could be any number of reasons for not wanting to go to the WSAZ tournament. We know that some teams don't wrestle the level of competition that perhaps they should, but speaking for myself, I do not think I have ever been accused of having a weak schedule or trying to inflate records. I think the "logic" in my philosophy and scheduling has proven itself to be just fine. Simply asking about other choices shouldn't infer avoiding competition or attacking an already well-established tournament. People try to read too much into things. Just answer the question or not.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 am

aacoach70 wrote:Since I started this line of questioning, let me say, I think it's a good thing to have options. Maybe a coach would like to make a scheduling adjustment based on the age of his wrestlers,.. or perhaps he wants to guard against board policies that discourage 2-day events that require overnight stays, for example. There could be any number of reasons for not wanting to go to the WSAZ tournament. We know that some teams don't wrestle the level of competition that perhaps they should, but speaking for myself, I do not think I have ever been accused of having a weak schedule or trying to inflate records. I think the "logic" in my philosophy and scheduling has proven itself to be just fine. Simply asking about other choices shouldn't infer avoiding competition or attacking an already well-established tournament. People try to read too much into things. Just answer the question or not.

There you have it. Now hopefully it is clear to everyone.

It is obvious that actually every team in the state cannot go to the WSAZ. The tournament in reality couldn't handle the numbers. Particularly if it's trying to attract quality teams from other states. Therefore other tournaments on that date within a 400 mile radius of Huntington are actually needed. As far as "getting one's name on the map nationally" you actually have to beat someone who's name is already on that map. Or go to where the map is being charted.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:06 pm

KDunbar wrote:
aacoach70 wrote:Since I started this line of questioning, let me say, I think it's a good thing to have options. Maybe a coach would like to make a scheduling adjustment based on the age of his wrestlers,.. or perhaps he wants to guard against board policies that discourage 2-day events that require overnight stays, for example. There could be any number of reasons for not wanting to go to the WSAZ tournament. We know that some teams don't wrestle the level of competition that perhaps they should, but speaking for myself, I do not think I have ever been accused of having a weak schedule or trying to inflate records. I think the "logic" in my philosophy and scheduling has proven itself to be just fine. Simply asking about other choices shouldn't infer avoiding competition or attacking an already well-established tournament. People try to read too much into things. Just answer the question or not.

There you have it. Now hopefully it is clear to everyone.

It is obvious that actually every team in the state cannot go to the WSAZ. The tournament in reality couldn't handle the numbers. Particularly if it's trying to attract quality teams from other states. Therefore other tournaments on that date within a 400 mile radius of Huntington are actually needed. As far as "getting one's name on the map nationally" you actually have to beat someone who's name is already on that map. Or go to where the map is being charted.

A few points for all to consider:

1. The WSAZ has yet to fill up. IF a bracket EVER hits 64 wrestlers, I am confident that Wild Bill Archer would pig tail in the few leftovers so nobody would be shut out.

2. In theory, Single A schools are located in smaller communities. In theory, smaller communities have less resources to generate funds. In reality, Single A schools like Greenbrier West and Wirt County are fixtures at the WSAZ. The word on the street is Single A Moorefield is making the trip to the Big Sandy in 2020. As fans, parents, wrestlers and coaches...……….we should note how many Single A schools attend the WSAZ in 2020. How do they do it? How do they pay for it? My impression of the three coaches for these three schools is "where there is a will, there is a way" applies to them. No funds?? No way???? No will??? No will??????

3. We should also take notice of the distance some of these teams travel to attend the WSAZ. They drive right past many schools that do not attend. I am not quite for sure what route teams like Musselman, Petersburg and now Moorefield will take to attend the WSAZ. However, if they use I-79, they will pass many schools that do not attend.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:15 pm

To look at this topic from another point of view, it is terrible that a coach, or any coaches, do not know what events are being scheduled on given weekends. I am not criticizing the individual who started this topic, but actually supporting. There should be some kind of schedule, events calendar or something in place that is centralized, available for all coaches and fans/parents to know what the Hades is going on.

I have said that WV has had too many weekends where it was feast and then the following weekend is famine.

aaacoach33

Postby aaacoach33 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:20 pm

FYI
Brooke Classic has room for one more team this year

Sean
seanbeaman75@yahoo.com
304-374-5333
In the end we win

Return to “High School Wrestling”