A Good Read on Conditioning

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

A Good Read on Conditioning

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:48 pm

Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Re: A Good Read on Conditioning

Postby KDunbar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:30 am

I whole heartedly agree with essentially everything in this article. However, a few long runs every so often just for "fun" or for the psychological benefit shouldn't be avoided, just not relied upon. One can "solve" a lot of mental problems during a solitary run of an hour or so every now and then.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:42 pm

Cardiovascular conditioning improves recovery ability during the match and during the brief breaks between periods/ going off the mat.. etc. The ability to buffer and regulate lactate thru CO2 ventilation is important for wrestlers.. as important as anaerobic conditioning.

The author lumps very different running distances into his article ( 3 miles, 26.2 miles..etc), and proclaims that they all are essentially of no benefit to conditioning/ wrestling.
Granted Marathon training would be far too stressful for wrestlers or any athletes ( other than those training for 26.2). He is essentially comparing apples to oranges.

The Authors take on developing “ mental toughness” is generally absurd. Also , some of the training methods that he claims burns fat do not utilize fat as the primary energy source but rather glycogen.
Does the author have any credentials re exercise physiology / Athletic training?? What he writes may sound wonderful but lacks fundamental exercise acumen and generally is mostly hype and BS.

Thanks

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:32 pm

KDunbar wrote:I whole heartedly agree with essentially everything in this article. However, a few long runs every so often just for "fun" or for the psychological benefit shouldn't be avoided, just not relied upon. One can "solve" a lot of mental problems during a solitary run of an hour or so every now and then.
Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Cardiovascular conditioning improves recovery ability during the match and during the brief breaks between periods/ going off the mat.. etc. The ability to buffer and regulate lactate thru CO2 ventilation is important for wrestlers.. as important as anaerobic conditioning.

The author lumps very different running distances into his article ( 3 miles, 26.2 miles..etc), and proclaims that they all are essentially of no benefit to conditioning/ wrestling.
Granted Marathon training would be far too stressful for wrestlers or any athletes ( other than those training for 26.2). He is essentially comparing apples to oranges.

The Authors take on developing “ mental toughness” is generally absurd. Also , some of the training methods that he claims burns fat do not utilize fat as the primary energy source but rather glycogen.
Does the author have any credentials re exercise physiology / Athletic training?? What he writes may sound wonderful but lacks fundamental exercise acumen and generally is mostly hype and BS.

Thanks

Gee, now I whole heartedly agree with essentially everything Jeff just said above :D .
Actually, I do believe I agree with what I think I hear both saying. I took the article to be saying that primarily using extra long distance running as the main form of conditioning as opposed to some exercises that are geared towards what activity wrestlers do may not be the best. I presumed that they were still including ones that developed aerobic conditioning. I know Jeff's area of expertise is in exercise physiology, so I know he critiqued the article from a very valid perspective and more in depth than my superficial reading. As far as helping to form mental toughness, I'm guessing the key is for each coach to discover the method that they find that they can adapt to fit their individual personality and philosophy and one that they feel comfortable with. And then also finding the different ways to use that to reach each wrestlers on an individual basis. I doubt there is a cookie cutter that works for one and all.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Cardiovascular conditioning improves recovery ability during the match and during the brief breaks between periods/ going off the mat.. etc. The ability to buffer and regulate lactate thru CO2 ventilation is important for wrestlers.. as important as anaerobic conditioning.

Thanks

Based on your education along with many years of following wrestling, what would be your recommended running distance/methodology for wrestlers at the high school level?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”